Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-10-2014, 2:46 PM

Default Orange County CCW process

Hey all,

I was new to the process and was terrified of what, where, how and who I would need to bribe, coerce or beg to get a CCW in Orange County. I was lucky enough to get information from various places and I wanted to share my experience with everyone so that any new applicants can save a lot of time and energy looking in one place as opposed to many threads and sites.

While I didn't apply right away when the OC Sheriff decided to allow for "Personal Protection/Safety" as a good cause, I did apply after a couple months. In my mind I wanted to see if people actually got their cards or if this was more lip service. Once I finally learned that they were in fact giving them out, I called in and signed up (I learned later that you can sign up via their website too). Originally, I was scheduled Jan of 2015 but then got pushed back to 2016 for some reason after the fact. I thought this was never going to happen and proceeded to go about my life when I got a call and my appointment got moved up to the end of 2014. Then a week later I got another call asking if I could come in June 7th which I jumped at.

June 7th I dressed up (so as not to look like a degenerate) and went in for my interview where I was interrogated and beat up a little over 2 things: 1. I had a failure to appear for a traffic ticket because I was deployed with my unit and my license was temporarily suspended till JAG fixed it since they weren't about to let me fly back for court. 2. I purchased a pistol the day prior and planned on having that on my CCW. My weapon didn't show on the list they had and between that and the license thing, it took some looking to determine I was telling the truth, then everything went relatively easy after (I brought a bill of sale too with me for the gun). The interview was done by a part time person meaning, they didn't do this regularly, they were there trying to help with the influx (This is important later). Once the interview was over, I was told they'd have to do a residency check which I was just a little worried about since I had just moved into my house not 3 weeks prior and I still hadn't really met or gotten to know my neighbors so I was weary how that might go.

The residency check happened 6-14-14 and they stopped by and spoke to my parents who were babysitting my daughter while I ran to the store. My family said they told the person not to trust me or give me a gun and knowing my family, I almost believed them for a few minutes. However, they admitted that all the person asked is who lived here and what was his name then they left.

I got an email on 7-08-14 that I was approved for further processing which included the Live Scan info I'd need to do a live scan and a list of all the authorized CCW classes in the area. I went over the same day and began my Live Scan processing and called to get into any available CCW class I could so I wasn't waiting on that. You can either go to the place the OCSD recommends or pay a little extra and go to any authorized Live Scan facility (I chose the later and it cost me $25 more + the normal fee).

I regularly checked the Live Scan process by calling 916-227-4557 and putting in my 10 digit ID# and date of birth. It was by doing this that I learned my FBI processing was completed almost immediately on the 11th and the CDOJ was completed on 8-5-14. The firearms seems to have taken forever since I only recently learned from the OCSD that the process had been complete and I was authorized to schedule the last part which is going in showing your certificate of completion and paying a fee then they give you the card. I am guessing that the firearms took longer then most people because I JUST bought the pistol I added to the paperwork the day prior and I'm sure that it took a bit to verify it and all. I also heard from several people that they are required to send OCSD a copy of the certificate prior to setting the final pick-up date but I had already sent them my certificate since I emailed them the CDOJ cleared to see how long I had left since I was planning a trip in a couple weeks and would be gone on vacation. Melissa had me send in my cert via email so she already had it on file and just sent me the earliest date she had to finalize everything.

So that is pretty much the whole process minus the CCW class but depending on where you take the class, experiences will differ. I will admit I was a little anxious going into the class because I had't even fired my new pistol yet so I didn't know its quirks. Thankfully, out of the box it was a straight shooter and I actually shot better with it then my other two pistols I've had for years. It made me a little angry that I had to go to such extremes to buy it through the loop hole (Its a Springfield XDS) when its such a nice pistol to shoot.

So, the whole process and timeline is as follows:
6/07/14 - initial interview
6/14/14 - residence check
7/08/14 - Approved for further processing
7/08/14 - live scan submitted
7/11/14 - Live Scan processed and completed by FBI
7/23/14 - CCW Class completed
8/05/14 - Live Scan processed and completed by CDOJ
9/09/14 - received emailed that I got my DOJ/FBI/Firearms clearance and set date for plastic pickup
10/8/14 - pick it up (not sure why its pushed out 30 days but it is).

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have seen a lot of people who got theirs much sooner then I did and a few that are still waiting for their further processing approval that started before me. I was told that part of the problem was that the part time investigators make it longer too because they don't do it every day but maybe 1-2 days a week and it causes it to take much longer as opposed to those people who get a full time regular person. I was also told, if you get Melissa, you have scored because she has the process down to a science and the only thing holding you up is you. While I can't confirm or deny the rumors, I can say that out of 5 people who I know went in the same day as me, 3 already have their cards, I have a date to pick up mine, and one is still waiting on their Live Scan results to come back. Hope you all the best.

EDIT:
A Message to all, please give them your email address as most of my correspondence with OCSD was via email and they were very responsive to me throughout the process via email. If you don't have an email, make one because it is definitely their choice for reaching you to move your appt date or make any changes or requests. I was called initially to move my date the first time but after that most everything was via email.

Last edited by Wadedeeper; 09-10-2014 at 8:42 PM..
Old 09-10-2014, 2:57 PM

good read
Old 09-10-2014, 4:17 PM

Wade,

Great recap of your experience. This will help humanize the process for people considering it and let them know what to expect. For those of us already in the process, it's very nice to compare notes. Thanks for sharing.

Web
Old 09-10-2014, 5:19 PM

4 months is pretty fast.
Old 09-10-2014, 5:21 PM

Thanks for the write up - nice read especially with the couple of wrinkles that had to be ironed out.
Old 09-10-2014, 7:20 PM

I did my Live Scan on 6/23 and still no response on Firearm. I was told they didn't know what was taking so long with the Firearm portion but the rest has cleared.

You whipped through fast actually.

I started all the way back on 4/23.
Guess there is no definite time to any of it.
Old 09-10-2014, 7:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What was your time between your initial request for appointment and your interview, did the initial date you were given move, and, if so, was it moved by phone or email? Lastly, how much lead time between the last move of your appointment and the final date?

Sorry, but you can guess what stage i am in.

My interview is set for february 3, 2015.

Thanks, op.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-10-2014, 8:14 PM

This is the post I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrdlks View Post
I did my Live Scan on 6/23 and still no response on Firearm. I was told they didn't know what was taking so long with the Firearm portion but the rest has cleared.

Firearm definitely took the longest. I was shocked in fact how long it took partly because I don't know who or what is checked except the number of firearms and whether they are legally registered/owned so it shouldn't take that long since I really don't have many. I would love someone to describe who and what is checked with the firearms portion since I really don't know nor do I have any idea what is quick and what is long as far as timing.
Old 09-10-2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
What was your time between your initial request for appointment and your interview, did the initial date you were given move, and, if so, was it moved by phone or email? Lastly, how much lead time between the last move of your appointment and the final date?

Thanks, op.
The time passes so slow when you're waiting for that next step. It made things easier for me when I thought about my friends in Santa Clara County that have no process in place at this time to obtain a LTC.
Old 09-10-2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post

Thanks, op.
I originally requested an appointment in late April which is how I initially got my date of Jan 2015. I was told by the time I called them, they had approximately 4000 people ahead of me who signed up too (I was just told they have a lot more now). I was called not soon after I made the date and they asked to move my date from 2015 to 2016 because they made an error. I then got a call in mid May asking if they could move me to Dec 2014 because they started getting help. I then got a call the beginning of June asking if I'd like to change to that Saturday and I said yes. They called me twice and emailed me about 5-6 times for various reasons and updates. It seems they prefer email so if you have an email address, give it to them and you will get prompt responses to any questions.

As for how much lead time between them handing out future dates and then moving me forward...I had 3 days if I remember correctly. They called me on Wed morning to ask if I wanted to take an opening they had for that Saturday.

If you are waiting on your initial interview date, I would send an email to them to verify your email address on file and ask them if they are still moving people up in que. Never hurts to ask...especially via email because they can answer when they have a second so it isn't like its annoying them too much.

Last edited by Wadedeeper; 09-10-2014 at 8:37 PM..
Old 09-10-2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.st View Post
This is the post I was looking for. Thanks.
No problem...I hope the process moves quickly for you.
Old 09-10-2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
4 months is pretty fast.
Actually, several people who had their appt date the same day as me already have their license. I figured I was just delayed due to the whole suspended license and my SSE pistol being listed as one of my pistols. I will be thankful when I have the plastic in hand since it cost me one heck of a lot of time and money to get and I'd hate to have the case reversed and the brakes hit on my process.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:52 AM

I sent in my request from a interview 9days after Peruta and got May 2015. I waited a month then called in to see if I could be batches forward and was given a new date.

I'm not upset as I am too close anymore but I could have purchased 2 handguns and gone through DROSing and submitted that too in the same time. It just seems DOJ is purposely lagging the system up.

But I'll just have to wait for my email to come pick up my permit when ever that comes.
Old 09-11-2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadedeeper View Post
Firearm definitely took the longest.
Funny, the time from my Livescan to final approval was 6 weeks. The time from final approval to permit pickup is six weeks with Melissa, so for me they are even when Melissa/Yolanda's calendar is booked.
Old 09-11-2014, 3:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrdlks View Post

That's way too long. You need to call whoever sent you your approval (Melissa or Yolanda) and ask what's up. If they give you a typical bureaucratic answer you need to ask to speak to the LT. If they won't let you, you need to call the switchboard and ask for name or get his email address and write him directly.
Old 11-06-2014, 8:00 PM

Great recap! A basic question for you. How long after you sent in your appointment request did you get your first date for the interview emailed to you? I filled out the appointment request, and immediately following I received the confirmation Email that my interview request had been submitted. Today is the 10th day, still no Initial appointment email.

Any information or feed back is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2014, 8:26 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

I got my response back in less than 48 hours. I might have even got it back the next day, but in the late afternoon.

7 month wait however for an interview. As of three weeks still no call to reschedule a shorter wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed32 View Post
Great recap! A basic question for you. How long you sent in your appointment request did you get your first date for the interview emailed to you? I filled out the appointment request, and immediately following I received the confirmation Email that my interview request had been submitted. Today is the 10th day, still no Initial appointment email.

Any information or feed back is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2014, 5:31 PM

I have a quick question on the application portion. The checklist states that you need the Standard Department of Justice Application and a Good Cause Statement. Are these two separate forms? The Standard DOJ application has a section for the good cause statement, so I was not sure if I was missing a form.