Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-02-2014, 1:42 AM

Default How do you concealed carry when going to the gym?

Just started carrying and can't decide what to do. Usually go late at night and parking lot lights suck. Cars have been broken into and it's just plain sketchy. Nice gym, ok area but crap happens so this is the single riskiest thing I do all day.

Can't use a holster with workout shorts, no place to clip a MIC for quick trigger access, off body carry is a terrible option and then there's the problem of what do I do with it once I'm inside. People break into lockers and I don't want to carry my gym bag around inside the gym. Ugh. I could try the stuff Lenny sells at the Glockstore. The compression shirts and belly bands that hold your gun with elastic fabric but I'd still have to do something with the gun once inside the gym and who wants to workout with thick compression gear.
Old 11-02-2014, 1:40 AM

I carry my backpack with my USP, extra mag, towel, wallet, water, keys, phone and bluetooth headphones. I have the kind of backpack that connects the should straps together. When I'm on a machine, I have the backpack hung close to me with the straps connected so it cant be taken without disconnecting the straps first.
Old 11-02-2014, 2:05 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See also this thread - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&highlight=gym
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-02-2014, 5:21 AM
Calguns Addict

"Nice gym" but they let people break into lockers? "OK area" but cars get broken into in the parking lot?

Sounds like you have neither a nice gym, nor an OK area. Of course a car breakin can happen anywhere, but if you can't trust a place to prevent locker breakins during their normal open hours, I'd say you need a new gym.
Old 11-02-2014, 5:23 AM

In all honesty... look for a different gym. One of the things they teach you in personal safety / situational awareness training is to avoid bad situations or leave ASAP if you find yourself in a bad situation.

If you're doing things right at the gym you'll be physically and mentally exhausted from your workout. How well do you think you can react if confronted by a BG?
Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_fear_me View Post
In all honesty... look for a different gym. One of the things they teach you in personal safety / situational awareness training is to avoid bad situations or leave ASAP if you find yourself in a bad situation.

If you're doing things right at the gym you'll be physically and mentally exhausted from your workout. How well do you think you can react if confronted by a BG?

lol yes this doesn't sound good! I actually belong to 3 gyms in different cities where I travel. All nice areas and all have signs at the counter about vehicle break ins. I'd imagine BGs target gyms knowing some people leave their wallets and phones in their cars. But yeah I hear you about situational awareness. Backpack it is... I've seen those Adidas bags that look like apple store bags with cord straps. Good idea!
Old 11-02-2014, 7:47 PM

You might try a fannypack.
Old 11-02-2014, 8:34 PM

Get a belly band.

http://www.glockstore.com/the-original-belly-band

Works great. With a small single stack pistol like a S&W Shield, you can conceal with running shorts and a work out shirt, no problem. Very secure retention of the gun and there is a pouch for an extra mag.

Totally legit and can't be the price for a very effective solution. I have one and I love it. I got it specifically for going to the gym.
Old 11-02-2014, 8:41 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Jim View Post
You might try a fannypack.
While a fannypack normally screams gun, if you have your phone, in the pack, and ear phone cable coming out of the fanny pack it may just look like, you don't have pockets and need something to hold your phone.

But even then not one of those bulky gun fanny packs. Maybe something like this?

http://www.defensedevices.com/gunhof...FcNQ7AodczYAcw
Old 11-02-2014, 8:54 PM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
While a fannypack normally screams gun
I can honestly say I have never seen a dude wearing a fanny pack and figured he had a gun there...

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 11-02-2014, 9:47 PM

Lol agreed but LEO fanny packs do exist.

Got my gym bag... Off body concealed carry, isn't the greatest but better than nothing. I guess I'll be walking out with one hand in my bag.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414993650.625884.jpg
Old 11-03-2014, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Lol agreed but LEO fanny packs do exist.

Got my gym bag... Off body concealed carry, isn't the greatest but better than nothing. I guess I'll be walking out with one hand in my bag.

Attachment 366133
Dude, you really need to find a gym in a better area.
Old 11-03-2014, 7:30 AM

Simple... I (generally) don't bring to the gym. Seriously just because you have a CCW does not mean you have to carry 24/7. Yes some on this site are in the mind set that they need to carry all of the time. I think it is worthwhile to take some time and cooly and thoughtfully assess the threat level given your personal situation and carry appropriately. Sometimes carrying may be a liability, fall on the floor, loose the gym bag, expose weapon, locker gets broken into... etc.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 11-03-2014, 7:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Come on bro!

Do you even lift?

Keister carry FTW!
Old 11-03-2014, 9:32 AM

Lock the weapon in the trunk and go workout. Storing your firearm in the gym locker is just a very irresponsible thing to do.
Old 11-03-2014, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Storing your firearm in the gym locker is just a very irresponsible thing to do.
^ ^ ^ I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
Lock the weapon in the trunk and go workout.
^ ^ ^ If one has an LTC, I disagree with this. There are several ways to keep your weapon on you if you go to work out, like some have said, a fanny back, perhaps a tote bag that you wear on your back, or maybe an IWB holster by wearing shorts with belt loops and wearing a baggy T-shirt over that. Dress for the loadout, if you have a somewhat bulky handgun to conceal, don't be wearing airy, light cotton basketball Nike shorts and a wife-beater or Jersey to the gym because chances are you can't conceal hardly anything under that.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 11-03-2014, 9:51 AM

What size gun is it? When it's hot out, I walk my dogs in gym shorts and a t-shirt. There's no belt loops on the shorts, so I have a cheap nylon instructors belt that I cinch around them on the outside, with a 380 in a thin leather IWB at about 4:00. I can walk for miles and even run for a while without the gun shifting, and barely notice it when leaning over or squatting. If you have a smaller carry gun, you might want to consider this route.
Old 11-03-2014, 9:57 AM

this is why I've asked about hat-holsters to bridge gaps in CCW, especially in the 'to and from car' which seems like exactly where you need CCW the most.

I don't see the point in CCW while sitting in car doing 70mph or sitting in office all day, and once in car or office you can put the gun in a better place.

Sure it wont be too comfortable and limits the size of gun, but everyone will just think must be his somewhat ugly and dorky "lucky hat". if anyone says "nice hat" just say 'rogain'

Of course, certain types might think your hat is a 'wire' when you oddly refuse to take it off.

But I think you could easily transfer from wearing hat holster to holding hat in hand hiding gun. I'm thinking mil-style 'soft cover' boonie
Old 11-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

you mean to say all those Asian tourists with fanny packs are all carrying guns??
Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 PM

I don't CCW at the gym. I leave my firearm locked under my sear with my car parked right in front. It would be extremely difficult to carry while working out anyway.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

Unless you're carrying a Desert Eagle or something, you should be able to CCW in the pocket of a camel back I'd imagine. If I HAD to carry at the gym (working out in general), that would probably be my choice now that I've thought about it.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 11-03-2014, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
Unless you're carrying a Desert Eagle or something, you should be able to CCW in the pocket of a camel back I'd imagine. If I HAD to carry at the gym (working out in general), that would probably be my choice now that I've thought about it.
What's a camel back?
Old 11-03-2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamettt View Post
you mean to say all those Asian tourists with fanny packs are all carrying guns??
Yes. Be afraid... be very afraid.
Old 11-03-2014, 6:09 PM
PEWPEWPEW:)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamettt View Post
Old 11-03-2014, 6:12 PM

Pistolwear.com
Old 11-03-2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
The Camel Back is a great idea. I have a couple of them for mountain biking, I'm going to give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
What's a camel back?
It's a mini back pack that contains a hydration pouch and tube to sip your liquids from (in lieu of a water bottle). It was popularized in the 90's for mountain bikers and hikers. They come in a thousand shapes and sizes now.

Last edited by caliberetta; 11-03-2014 at 6:35 PM..
Old 11-04-2014, 3:51 AM

Default How do you concealed carry when going to the gym?

I don't think you need a hydration pack, that would be awkward considering there are drinking fountains in gyms. The bag I bought is a Adidas light pack. The pic I posted came out terrible for some reason, I'll post it below again. I think it was $15 but worked perfectly. Wallet keys and phone in one area. Glock 27 in the main compartment all by itself. Just carried it around and set it at my feet as I moved throughout the gym.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415101860.111723.jpg (12.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Brob; 11-04-2014 at 4:04 AM..
Old 11-04-2014, 4:06 AM

Strange. Uploading an image makes it a thumbnail. Have I ever mentioned that I hate tapatalk. Hopefully you can see its a small bag. Zippered pouch can be used for a glock so no danger of it falling out.
Old 11-04-2014, 6:39 AM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

UnderTech is on sale at Glock Store...I've never used the underwear - but should work for thread topic:http://www.glockstore.com/topshot/ex...ealment-shorts

http://www.glockstore.com/topshot/me...ealment-shorts

The shirts and belly band are all on sale today too (sale price shown when you click each item) http://www.glockstore.com/topshot?ut...m_medium=email
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Has anyone tried these? Concerned about lack of trigger guard and movement while working out.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I don't think you need a hydration pack, that would be awkward considering there are drinking fountains in gyms. The bag I bought is a Adidas light pack. The pic I posted came out terrible for some reason, I'll post it below again. I think it was $15 but worked perfectly. Wallet keys and phone in one area. Glock 27 in the main compartment all by itself. Just carried it around and set it at my feet as I moved throughout the gym.

I really like that method. If I ever get my damn CA LTC ill def try this one.

Back in TX where I did CCW legally, I tried Pistol Wear holsters and 5.11 holsters. I hated the 5.11 shirts. Jogging with them is awkward and if you do anything above a super slow jog, they bounce and can fly right out of the pocket (velcro they come with is trash). The pistol wear holsters are surprisingly decent for jogs and cycling. For working out I wouldn't use them at a gym. They protrude about from your belly and in workout clothing it would be too easy to print. Even if youre totally legal i can easily see a gym in CA cancelling your membership if one guest got freaked out by your firearm. The possible PITA is too big IMO to be worth the risk. For gym sessions i think off body is the only way to go.

just my $.02
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 11-06-2014, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
While a fannypack normally screams gun, if you have your phone, in the pack, and ear phone cable coming out of the fanny pack it may just look like, you don't have pockets and need something to hold your phone.
A fanny pack screams a lot more than "gun." haha
Old 11-06-2014, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks View Post
A fanny pack screams a lot more than "gun." haha
Fabulous!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 9:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
I can honestly say I have never seen a dude wearing a fanny pack and figured he had a gun there...
this dude carries a fanny pack around the gym, tossing it under or around every machine. I only know this because someone told me what hes got going on in there
Old 11-06-2014, 2:12 PM

You can always carry it inside your cup
Old 11-06-2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest View Post
You can always carry it inside your cup
Wait... what happens if you have an AD? Oh my!
Old 11-06-2014, 7:10 PM

If you lock it in your trunk I would recommend one of the small gun vaults with a cable tethered to the car or at least a cable through the gun. At least that way it slows down or thwarts the snatch and run.
Old 11-08-2014, 6:49 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

After the "how do you carry in the gym" question is answered, the next will be "how do you carry in the shower or swimming pool"?

When the mirror posing James Bond-esque Tactical Timmy honeymoon period is over and you have been carrying for a while, you will realize that there may be occasions where you just don't want or need to have a pistol on you.
Old 11-08-2014, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

What about when you walk out to the hot tub in the back yard?
Tricked out flush mounted deck safe with a voice activated spring loaded pop up arm? Of course it would need to be wrapped in plastic or do you just keep it lubed up?
Old 11-08-2014, 8:55 AM
Concerned Senior Member
CGN Contributor

Location: ........In a Constitutional Concerned Community.........

Uhhh.

stop working out?