Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-15-2014, 8:25 PM

Default People quit calling/emailing places if CCW is ok

Keeps coming up.... Why the need to call or email this place or that place and ask if you can carry concealed ??

I swear people need to publicize and be the "guy" with the gun permit. So maybe you can identify yourself and show your permit to the store manager when you check in and get your cotton candy.

Conceal your gun, keep your mouth shut and keep a low profile.
Old 10-15-2014, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

B.I.N.G.O.

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 10-15-2014, 8:45 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner
Old 10-15-2014, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

Agree 100%. Only exception is to check for metal detectors lol
Old 10-15-2014, 8:59 PM

*thumbs up*
Old 10-15-2014, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ca View Post
Exactly.

Old 10-15-2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Keeps coming up.... Why the need to call or email this place or that place and ask if you can carry concealed ??

I swear people need to publicize and be the "guy" with the gun permit. So maybe you can identify yourself and show your permit to the store manager when you check in and get your cotton candy.

Given the intelligence, the need for common sense, and the rational/logical thought processes of a CCW holder, I would like to continue my misguided belief that the general population within CCW community are not that blatantly idiotic. However, given that fact that there are some people who crave attention and the spotlight, one should ask the question if these stupid fools should even be CCW holders.

- Gomphe
Old 10-15-2014, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How could there be so many stupid people. Maybe they don't understand what concealed means.

They can join the ranks of the guy that lost his CCW for showing people at work, Chuck E Chesse and the Regan Library.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 10-15-2014, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

I get it, but I'm going to take a different course. If your going to a large public event/amusement park whatever and you have a question about if you can the simple answer is don't carry. I'd rather not have a gun than to have to leave it in the car, even if I can secure it. That's me if you feel comfortable leaving it in locked in your car, by all means do so.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
If your going to a large public event/amusement park whatever and you have a question about if you can the simple answer is don't carry. I'd rather not have a gun than to have to leave it in the car, even if I can secure it.
A large gathering of people is one of the last places I'd want to go unarmed.

I understand most people's concerns about being able to carry or not, because I believe most people would like to avoid the awkward scene of being outed and turned away/ejected from a venue. Unless the place is on the list of legally prohibited carry locations, or they are actively searching for weapons with metal detectors, then these awkward scenes will only happen if YOU make them happen. So, keep the trap shut and carry on.

That being said, to prevent a lot of these "can I carry at.." threads, perhaps someone should create a "Do they have metal detectors at..." thread and sticky it. The only places I won't carry are where it's legally prohibited, or actively denied by security checkpoints. A list of places with checkpoints would be entirely relevant and appreciated.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotacocombo View Post
...perhaps someone should create a "Do they have metal detectors at..." thread and sticky it. The only places I won't carry are where it's legally prohibited, or actively denied by security checkpoints. A list of places with checkpoints would be entirely relevant and appreciated.
Yes! Let's do this.
Mark 16:16
Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
That being said, to prevent a lot of these "can I carry at.." threads, perhaps someone should create a "Do they have metal detectors at..." thread and sticky it. The only places I won't carry are where it's legally prohibited, or actively denied by security checkpoints. A list of places with checkpoints would be entirely relevant and appreciated.
That is a good idea!

Front Sight Diamond Memberships 20.00
PM if you have thought about buying one.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

We seem to be in a transition phase.

Some venues have variable conditions of search/metal detectors, so on one day, or at one event, there might be serious efforts to find things, while at another time less effort or almost none.

So we're a bit ahead of the curve in trying to list places.

A few are already in place - NFL stadiums. Some are coming, we know: MLB stadiums (or stadia, but hardly anyone uses the greek plural any more). SF Giants said they were going to install the walk-throughs, or use wands this season, but they're kind of not serious yet.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
We seem to be in a transition phase.

Some venues have variable conditions of search/metal detectors, so on one day, or at one event, there might be serious efforts to find things, while at another time less effort or almost none.

So we're a bit ahead of the curve in trying to list places.

A few are already in place - NFL stadiums. Some are coming, we know: MLB stadiums (or stadia, but hardly anyone uses the greek plural any more). SF Giants said they were going to install the walk-throughs, or use wands this season, but they're kind of not serious yet.
I have to imagine the event and the following it attracts has a lot to do with it too. Venue "X" may not check concert goers for a Christian concern or when the Muppets are in town, but will likely wand and have standing metal detectors for hard rock concerts.

Keep in mind that some venues may consider calls about weapons policies a pre-indicdent indicator of a possible threat. As such, it could cause them to change their procedure and increase security.

Quote:
Elicitation

Elicitation is the use of ordinary communication methods in order to gain information without being obvious about it. Attempts to gain information about facility operations, capabilities, security procedures, and vulnerabilities, should raise a red flag. Elicitation attempts may be made by mail, email, telephone, or in person. This could also include eavesdropping or engaging in friendly conversation.

Tests of Security

Tests of security are usually conducted by going to the target, moving into sensitive areas and observing security or response times. Terrorists would be interested in the time in which it takes to respond to an incident and/or the routes taken to a specific location. They may also try to penetrate physical security barriers or procedures in order to assess strengths and weaknesses. They often gain legitimate employment at key locations in order to monitor day-to-day activities.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Some people should stay away from owning guns lest conceal them. An idiot with good intentions is as dangerous as a genius with bad ones.
Old 10-16-2014, 1:13 PM

I too believe that calling places to see if they allow CCW is hurtful to the cause. Perhaps the place never really thought about it. Never bothered to post signs or have any type of rules regarding firearms on their private premises. However, now that you've got people calling in and asking, they may wonder, "Oh there are people asking if they can carry guns here, best we put up official signs and metal detectors to make sure they don't!"

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 10-16-2014, 1:23 PM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

Tis better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Besides, if you have a CCW/LTC, then you don't need to ask.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 10-16-2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy View Post
However, now that you've got people calling in and asking, they may wonder, "Oh there are people asking if they can carry guns here, best we put up official signs and metal detectors to make sure they don't!"
I don't see many people wanting to incur the expense of metal detectors, and signs are pretty much meaningless, but I would agree with your point that too many people hear 'gun' and instantly feel uncomfortable. Out of sight, out of mind would probably be the better course of action here. Like the guy above me said, we don't have to ask. You have permission until you ask to not have permission.
Old 10-16-2014, 2:17 PM

Quote:

These people are likely the same idiots who say they are going to Starbucks and chipotle after getting their permits....
Old 10-16-2014, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tree View Post
These people are likely the same idiots who say they are going to Starbucks and chipotle after getting their permits....
If people keep asking businesses about their "gun policies," most businesses will end up following Starbucks and Chipotle's lead. Don't force the issue. If it's not illegal, and if you keep your concealed carry concealed, it won't be an issue. Unless of course you really need to use it, in which case you won't care about a business's "policy." And if you save lives, they won't care about their "policy" either. They, like everyone else, will just be glad you were there.

Old 10-16-2014, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^^ THIS should be the only question. Knowing which places always have detectors, sometimes have them and never has them let's people decide what they prefer to do.
Old 10-16-2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:

Yep, exactly, it's senseless calling or emailing, you're just drawing attention to yourself and they will ALWAYS say no in California. Instead, you need to do your due diligence silently and if there's no metal detectors and it's not prohibited by law, then carry on.
Old 10-17-2014, 8:47 AM

The only place I have ever called to ask is at a shooting range. I'm assuming they are ok with a gun question..........
Old 10-17-2014, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
The only place I have ever called to ask is at a shooting range. I'm assuming they are ok with a gun question..........
Funny. I went to an indoor shooting range Monday not necessarily known for their friendliness and I asked the guy behind the counter what their policy was for someone walking through the door with a CCW. "Do I carry like I always do, loaded? Or do you prefer magazines out...unloaded? Do I put it in a shoe box and place it on the counter? Do I roll my gun safe in here?"

"Are you a LEO?"

"Nope."

"Uh...... ...... ...... (long pause) ..... ....... ...... ......"

"It's your house, you tell me what your policy is."

"I guess like everyone else, in a case."

"No prob." Those 18 year old guys are carrying inside the store and I don't want them assuming the position while I decide what target to buy if they happen to see my "bulge."
Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
to prevent a lot of these "can I carry at.." threads, perhaps someone should create a "Do they have metal detectors at..." thread and sticky it. A list of places with checkpoints would be entirely relevant and appreciated.
+1

This is the information I would be looking for.
Old 10-17-2014, 2:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is why we can't have nice things...
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 10-17-2014, 2:50 PM

Funny thing. I donated platelets at the Red Cross yesterday and notices the No Concealed Weapons sign on my way out. This of course after sitting for 2 hours doing a donation with my Sig on my hip. They can't stop what they do not see.

Old 10-21-2014, 9:52 AM

I admit, I made the mistake of asking in advance once.

It prompted me to purchase a lockbox for the car, so I don't consider it a loss
Old 10-21-2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:

Nice post. It needed to be said.
Old 10-23-2014, 1:42 PM

Not only will I not ask, I'll keep my head down when entering the establishment as to avoid eye contact with any signs prohibiting firearms.

There was something about asking for forgiveness being better than permission.
Old 10-28-2014, 6:48 AM
Concerned Senior Member
CGN Contributor

Location: ........In a Constitutional Concerned Community.........

What!!

I always poke my head in the door, ask if its cool if I have a gun....you guys are doing it wrong.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

This is California and in California there are Californians.
Old 10-28-2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
A large gathering of people is one of the last places I'd want to go unarmed.

I understand most people's concerns about being able to carry or not, because I believe most people would like to avoid the awkward scene of being outed and turned away/ejected from a venue. Unless the place is on the list of legally prohibited carry locations, or they are actively searching for weapons with metal detectors, then these awkward scenes will only happen if YOU make them happen. So, keep the trap shut and carry on.

Heck, even most places with metal detectors just usher you through so that the line doesn't back up. Security at most venues is just for show and is a joke (not the officers, the procedures).

Stay safe.
Old 10-28-2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Jim View Post
Heck, even most places with metal detectors just usher you through so that the line doesn't back up. Security at most venues is just for show and is a joke (not the officers, the procedures).

Stay safe.
Haha, so true....tucked my piece right under my belt buckle, was asked, "you wearing a belt?" I reply, " yup" and pull my shirt up to show my belt buckle. "Thank you, enjoy your night."
Old 10-31-2014, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tree View Post
Haha, so true....tucked my piece right under my belt buckle, was asked, "you wearing a belt?" I reply, " yup" and pull my shirt up to show my belt buckle. "Thank you, enjoy your night."
lol if you're in Orange County I'm guessing you're talking about the Honda Center

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 10-31-2014, 9:53 AM

IF there is no sign stating "No CCW Allowed," then it is legal.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael0594 View Post
IF there is no sign stating "No CCW Allowed," then it is legal.
Not true. "No gun" signs have no force of effect on CCW holders. You can legally carry in businesses with no gun signs. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave if they discover you are carrying.

The exception is federal buildings, and all of the other prohibited places.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_fear_me View Post
Not true. "No gun" signs have no force of effect on CCW holders. You can legally carry in businesses with no gun signs. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave if they discover you are carrying.

The exception is federal buildings, and all of the other prohibited places.
This!! +1million.

It's only enforceable by law in some places. Federal buildings are an example (and the post office is federal).

Also gun shows are explicitly called out by law.

MODS: Perhaps a sticky that says something to the extent of 'Where CCW is illegal in CA' would be appropriate for this forum?
<-- see edit

ETA: Crap we already have one. Oops! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=338205
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Last edited by kaligaran; 10-31-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 AM

so should I call the movie theater or not...lol
Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

What this guy said...