Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-23-2017, 9:07 AM

Default X95 free state conversion question

My FFL just received my X95 back from IWI for the mag release free state conversion and it arrived featureless. Originally it was supposed to be an easy process without DROS since the firearm never changed hands. Now my FFL is telling me we need to re-DROS. Is this possible without an actual seller?
Old 05-23-2017, 9:11 AM

That doesn't make sense since it is already registered to you. What was the turnaround for the conversion from IWI? Thinking about doing it myself since the CA maglock on the x95 is the worst thing ever
Old 05-23-2017, 1:49 PM

I thought it was weird too. Took a little less than 2 weeks with overnight shipping to IWI US. They grounded it back. $135 for the service + return shipping. Just keep Kydex wrap on and call them for an RM number.
Old 05-23-2017, 7:22 PM

I was thinking of doing the same with mine. I've sent guns out for service before, but never used an FFL for shipping. Has something changed or did I screw up and just get lucky? On a side note, does anyone know if makes an ambi selector for the X95?
Old 05-23-2017, 9:49 PM

IWI does not want to deal with California laws so they will not ship it back to you. It isn't a law, just their policy. They do a couple conversions per week so it isn't new to them. I just have to wait to see what the FFL is going to do. It's funny because I bought the rifle from the FFL from his personal collection so I thought he would help me out. Riflegear told me no so I had very little choice. But now it is in limbo...so I just wanted some feedback.

What I don't get is that he kept calling it an assault weapon and nothing we have in legal configuration is an assault weapon. Not sure why he kept referring to it as one. I get that he needs to protect his business and he is doing me a favor so I can't really do much about that. Just wish I knew he would be going this route before I had it shipped to him so I could have found some other FFL. I still don't see how I can go through another DROS if there is no seller to sign for it.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Just a guess, was it because the overall length? The new guideline, although not official now, requires the muzzel break permanently attached, unless you have a 21 inch barrel.
Old 05-24-2017, 6:35 AM

Nope. This was a a California compliant model that only had the mag release worked on. IWI can change it to a standard A2 birdcage but I requested they do not to keep it at 30.25" OAL. That and new guidelines do not apply since they are not finalized.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 AM

I had a dealer ship me a rifle that they had repaired and since they shipped it to me from their books the DOJ told me I had to re-dros it even though the owner had already DROS'd it a couple of years before...as I understand it if a ffl ships to an ffl we have to DROS it..if the ffl/repair shop send it back to the original owner then I guess its not a problem...
Old 05-24-2017, 1:44 PM

I think the key is that there was no "transfer" involved. Manufacturer worked on it and it goes back to me. Since a DROS is the Dealers Record of Sale, I don't see how I can do the process again without a proper seller or actual transfer being made. I shipped it, they shipped it back to him. I didn't transfer to the FFL and have them send it to IWI. There was no transfer. Either way, I just wanted to hear a more definite answer from fellow Calgunners that know this type of issue.
Old 05-24-2017, 5:00 PM

that is the same as my customer did. he shipped the rifle himself..the repair shop sent it back to me and DOJ said since my ffl was now involved I had to DROS it again and do the 10 day wait even though he already owned it and had dros'd it a few years before.
Old 05-24-2017, 5:54 PM

Krazy,
Sorry if I missed something, so IWI has not shipped it back to your FFL? I know it doesn't do you much good now, but when I've sent guns out I always had them return shipped to my work. I wonder if they would do it if I stripped the rifle down, with a grip wrap installed, if they would do it. It doesn't seem right at all that another DROS would be appropriate. Maybe pose the question in the FFL forum too.
Old 05-24-2017, 6:07 PM

Yes they have. My FFL will not release without re-dros. He has not called me back in two days so I am a little concerned.

Let me explain exactly how this process works. Spoke with IWI and they broke it down.

Rifle must be completely intact and have the kydex wrap installed. No exceptions. They also need to verify that the CA compliant X95 is factory converted. Give them the serial number and they will check. If it is not factory converted, they will not work on it. No exceptions. The conversion costs 120+15 return ground shipping and only to an FFL. They will not ship to you unless they verify you are an FFL. No exceptions. You ship to them any legal way you want. Do not disclose the package as a firearm as with any firearm shipments for any reason. Most carriers will reject it. If they ask, which they shouldn't, tell them it is sporting goods. The entire process takes approximately 2 weeks to arrive at your FFL. Since your CA factory converted X95 comes with the long muzzle break, tell them NOT to install the birdcage. They will include the birdcage, all bullet button parts and leave the kydex wrap on before return shipment. You will be told all of this when you call in. You have to call anyway so just prepare ahead of time. If you want your factory box to be in good condition it is recommended that you find a bigger box to put it in and pad the crap out of it. If not, make sure you cover all indications of a firearm being in the box with some VCI or kraft paper or anything else you can stick over it.
Old 05-24-2017, 6:20 PM

Thanks for the info Krazy, and man I hope you're able to work it out and get your rifle back.
Old 05-25-2017, 4:18 PM

Sucks to hear that you have to re-dros. Are they changing you a transfer fee too since it is coming back from out of state and has to be re-dros? That would suck. Having to pay for a grip wrap, IWI free state conversion, DROS, and transfer fees? SMH
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 PM

Just got my x95 back from iwi my ffl didn't make me re-dros it or pay any fees...