Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 PM

Default Panoche Hills

It's coming up on October and I have been reading this is when Panoche Hills opens up to shooting. I would like to stretch out my 338 Lapua's legs and get her out to, at most, 1000 meters. Can I get some insight from people who have been there on how to trek this area. I would do SVSC but I'd rather not pay all the membership costs at this time. Would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Also heard Griswold and Tumey area, I've never gone yet, but would also be interested in knowing which area has at least an 800 yard path to shoot. So Oct 17?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM

Probably Oct 21st when most the game bird season opens, but could be sooner. They also had several fires in the area this summer and have imposed further shooting restrictions for the time being, although I would expect these to lift along with the gates opening. You can always call and ask at the field office.

I've been traveling to Tumey for several years now to shoot long range, and can tell you from experience, you'll probably need to drive usually 1-2 miles in to safely shoot that far. Not sure about Panoche but I think there are less open areas and roads to explore.

Best to plan your firing position and target location out on Google earth ahead of time to make sure you can setup targets in an accessible area while still not shooting towards or across roads/trails/other groups. Might be good to scout out 2-3 locations on maps or google in case you find me already at one of them. Keep in mind your target location should be 150 yards from any road and be in front of a good backstop, usually along a hill. It can sometimes be a real challenge to find a good firing position and target location to shoot that far.

The area can get very crowded near the entrances, especially at the beginning and end of the seasons and are regularly patrolled by DFG, they will issue citations for anyone whose vehicle is more than 15' from a marked road. Some people have carved their own roads in the desert, only stay on marked paths, they are hard to differentiate sometimes, a BLM map is handy to bring. If you don't see the road on a map, I would stay off.

Also, especially after rains, the ground becomes very unstable and many large truck swallowing sinkholes can pepper the landscape, be careful, it's best to travel with another vehicle if you plan to venture far from the gate.

Bring shade and plenty of water, even in dead of winter, it can be hot and there is no escaping the sun anywhere.

Also, please be considerate to others, clean up your trash, targets and brass to keep the area open, clean up other people's trash if you see it too. Also, the last two years I've seen several groups in Tumey on ATV/Razors. These are off limits in the area, please don't bring these as you'll only make the area less accessible to others in the future (I believe the ranchers and sheep herders who have livestock grazing are exempt, you may see them out there).

Be safe and have fun!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaporale View Post
Probably Oct 21st when most the game bird season opens, but could be sooner. They also had several fires in the area this summer and have imposed further shooting restrictions for the time being, although I would expect these to lift along with the gates opening. You can always call and ask at the field office.

I've been traveling to Tumey for several years now to shoot long range, and can tell you from experience, you'll probably need to drive usually 1-2 miles in to safely shoot that far. Not sure about Panoche but I think there are less open areas and roads to explore.

Best to plan your firing position and target location out on Google earth ahead of time to make sure you can setup targets in an accessible area while still not shooting towards or across roads/trails/other groups. Might be good to scout out 2-3 locations on maps or google in case you find me already at one of them. Keep in mind your target location should be 150 yards from any road and be in front of a good backstop, usually along a hill. It can sometimes be a real challenge to find a good firing position and target location to shoot that far.

The area can get very crowded near the entrances, especially at the beginning and end of the seasons and are regularly patrolled by DFG, they will issue citations for anyone whose vehicle is more than 15' from a marked road. Some people have carved their own roads in the desert, only stay on marked paths, they are hard to differentiate sometimes, a BLM map is handy to bring. If you don't see the road on a map, I would stay off.

Also, especially after rains, the ground becomes very unstable and many large truck swallowing sinkholes can pepper the landscape, be careful, it's best to travel with another vehicle if you plan to venture far from the gate.

Bring shade and plenty of water, even in dead of winter, it can be hot and there is no escaping the sun anywhere.

Also, please be considerate to others, clean up your trash, targets and brass to keep the area open, clean up other people's trash if you see it too. Also, the last two years I've seen several groups in Tumey on ATV/Razors. These are off limits in the area, please don't bring these as you'll only make the area less accessible to others in the future (I believe the ranchers and sheep herders who have livestock grazing are exempt, you may see them out there).

Be safe and have fun!

Appreciate the tip thanks! Do you enter from panoche road? Or from another road South of there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Panoche road is the only route in/out of there I know of. There are two gates from that road, first one is about a mile from the end of the pavement. The 2nd one is maybe 3-4 miles further down the road in a open valley, both are on your left hand side if you're coming from I-5.

I've never explored through the 1st gate, only from the 2nd and find I need to go 1-2 miles past the second gate to find a spot where I can drive relatively close to my target locations and FFP without shooting across a road. Even then I usually end up hiking about 1mile to setup and retrieve my targets by the end of the day, I just like to avoid elevation change on the hike as the terrain there really really sucks and half the time I'm carrying steel targets and t-posts.

Last edited by Arcaporale; 09-26-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaporale View Post

Be safe and have fun!
Thank you very much for the information. I have been reading a lot of guys going to Tumey rather than Panoche. I will definitely look into getting a map cause I know there is zero cell service out there. What roads is Tumey accessible from?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I have been reading a lot of guys going to Tumey rather than Panoche. I will definitely look into getting a map cause I know there is zero cell service out there. What roads is Tumey accessible from?
As mentioned, the Road to access Tumey is Panoche Road.

BLM has some OK maps on their website, these are great for identifying roads that are legal to drive on. You can actually get decent cell service when you get higher up into the hills (usually where you can see I-5 and the valley).

I use a few Apps that allow me to download topo maps ahead of time of use offline.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:59 PM

Wow, okay. Apparently my post got deleted. So this is a gun forum but can't post pics of where we shoot? LOL everyone here screams communism and lack of freedom here in CA, but then turns around and does exactly that with censorship.