Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Question AR Safety Selector

Does anyone has any insight into what could cause the safety selector to not rest on the position as it should? On fire, it rest at about 190 degree instead of 180 straight down.

Old 10-12-2018, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hole drilled to high.
Old 10-12-2018, 1:42 PM

The hole drilled for the selector detent could be drilled a few degrees off. Or the the selector detent path itself could be cut a few degrees off. I would leave it as is unless the safety isnt working.
Old 10-12-2018, 1:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

The location of the detent hole in the receiver could be drilled too far back also.
There are many possible reasons (but to figure out most of them would require accurate measuring), but like other's have expressed... leave it if it works reliably.
Old 10-12-2018, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Swap with another safety to see if the same issue occurs.
Old 10-12-2018, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If that's a 80% lower.
Hole drilled crooked ?
Hole not drilled in correct location.
Old 10-12-2018, 3:04 PM

Milling in the trigger pocket issue like not deep enough and such? Most of the them work to a certain degree. Some are smooth, some rest at a different spot. I am not sure if the detent hole is the problem. Could the manufacturer made holes slightly off from one to another in the same batch? I am using mostly PSA LPK and BCM. I know that one of the PSA safety selector was so off, it didn't fit in any of the purchased lowers when I tested.

Last edited by husadee; 10-12-2018 at 3:07 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 4:09 PM

Remove the spring and detent,then see where the safety sits.
Old 10-12-2018, 4:18 PM

Pull the selector and see if the detent hole is precisely in bottom dead center position at 6 o’clock. I’ve had one that was off by a couple hundredths, which produced same effect as yours. I took the lower back to the manufacturer, JD Machine and they confirmed it was out of spec per their own CAD drawings. They destroyed it and rebuilt me a new one. It’s cosmetic, but still crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 8:29 PM

I have one of these, replaced it, everything was where it should be after. I’m guessing it’s a missed quality inspection part
Old 10-12-2018, 9:02 PM

Couldn't do anything about replacement now. They were 80% and now BBRAW. Thanks for the advice so far. Won't be able to answer much. The club scout camp this weekend has very spotty connection.
Old 10-12-2018, 9:34 PM

I have one like that. It functions as it is supposed to, so I'm not concerned. It's just a range toy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 12:08 AM

Looks like an 80% with the selector hole drilled incorectly.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM

I have noticed some selectors that have been off by a few degrees. If you look at the indicator mark on the right side of the selector, does it line up with the pointed tip of the lever? Or you can take the flat side of your bolt catch, set the flat side of the selector on it, and see where it is pointing, it should be straight down.
www.80pctlower.com
Yes we have 80% lower receivers
Old 10-14-2018, 2:06 AM

You got yourselves an deform drilled safety hole. Whatever you do don't tend to re-drilled cause you end up screwing it more than what it is already. Anyhow don't play to much attention to it because eventually you'll learned to forget about it and most people won't even noticed that it's off. If it bugs you a whole a lot I'll trade you mine for yours. Lol
Old 10-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Happened to my 308 80% looks just like that.

Out here in AZ the laws are different so I let a machinist who was recommended by some people I knew use professional machines to do it for me. Long story short the guy was taking his sweet time and kept it for a really long time, to the point I got pretty irritated with him and he did a rush job when I said I was just gunna come swing by and pick the lower up. When I built the lower the selector switch wouldn't go in, you could tell it was hitting the other hole. I actually had to tap it in with a tool to get it to push through as it was definitely drilled just a hair off. I the more I worked the safety flipping it to safe/fire the smoother it got. But it sits really crooked like yours and annoys me.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 10-14-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 10-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I have a friend who's 80% was drilled so crooked his selector sits at about a 60 degree angle. He wasn't happy until I told him most people pay extra for that feature.

He didn't believe me until I pulled out a competition gun with a 60 degree short throw ambi selector and showed him. Now he's happy.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Thank for all the advice. So far the safety functions ok. It stops the trigger from being pull. Most of mine aren't very crooked. 10 degree or so, they don't rest up properly so I figured that I ask to see if there is anything that can be done to it without making it worse. It seems that there isn't much fix to it and I can live with it. Fact is, I have many of them so if they are more perfect then I wouldn't have to remember each individual quirk but I gave birth to them so I guess I will have to try to.

M1XdColt - Even if I want to, I can't trade.

wpod - None of mine is as off as your but some are pretty stiff. Only 20% of mines sit as they should...not much skill on my part.
Old 10-14-2018, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

while that is most likely caused by the hole being in the wrong place, I have tried different safety selectors and detents on my spike's lower just because I have found that some of the safeties and the detents actually make the levers sit in different places.
Old 10-14-2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
while that is most likely caused by the hole being in the wrong place, I have tried different safety selectors and detents on my spike's lower just because I have found that some of the safeties and the detents actually make the levers sit in different places.
hmm, thanks. That would mean a lot of trails and error, right?
Old 10-14-2018, 4:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
I have one like that. It functions as it is supposed to, so I'm not concerned. It's just a range toy.

Off topic but how does that scope work for you with that front sight post? I have the same scope and am figuring what the hell I'm going to do for a mount.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio
Old 10-14-2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
Off topic but how does that scope work for you with that front sight post? I have the same scope and am figuring what the hell I'm going to do for a mount.
At 1x the front sight is 'there', but I ignore it. At 1x its essentially a red dot.
At any magnification the front sight nearly disappears, and is below anything I'm aiming at.
I have the P.E.P.R. QD mount.
I'm considering replacing the front sight and handguard with a gas block & free-float handguard.
It's just a range toy and not shot much. (but I enjoy tinkering)
Here's the same gun now that I've moved to AZ

Last edited by wpod; 10-14-2018 at 4:53 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husadee View Post
hmm, thanks. That would mean a lot of trails and error, right?
Yes.

Easy way out is a push-button safety, or a 60° safety.

If you want to try a push-button safety, I have one laying around, come by and we can install it.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Does anyone has any insight into what could cause the safety selector to not rest on the position as it should? On fire, it rest at about 190 degree instead of 180 straight down.

The hole for the selector detent is NOT aligned with the hole for the selector.
Those two holes need to be centered for the selector to sit straight.

This is a common problem for builders of 80% receivers who rely on a drilling fixture to actually be correct instead of measuring the location of the selector detent and then drilling the selector hole in alignment with the pre-existing detent hole.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The hole for the selector detent is NOT aligned with the hole for the selector.
Those two holes need to be centered for the selector to sit straight.

This is a common problem for builders of 80% receivers who rely on a drilling fixture to actually be correct instead of measuring the location of the selector detent and then drilling the selector hole in alignment with the pre-existing detent hole.
Thanks. I thought it was more unique to me due to lack of shop skill.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Yes.

Easy way out is a push-button safety, or a 60° safety.

If you want to try a push-button safety, I have one laying around, come by and we can install it.
Elfmann Push Button Safety? I watch how it works and it is interesting. Never knew there is such device. I might just buy one to try. Thank a bunch for the info
Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Elfmann Push Button Safety? I watch how it works and it is interesting. Never knew there is such device. I might just buy one to try. Thank a bunch for the info
Yes. That's the one.
Old 10-15-2018, 1:00 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

It could also be that the hole is not stepped, but it is drilled through. I have also seen that mistake commonly made on some brands of poly and cast 80% lowers.

That makes the top of the hole that supports the top of the detent too large. The detent is sloppy/loose in the hole and so it leaves the selector sloppy. If that is what happened, you can tap in a brass or aluminum sleeve of the proper length to correct it.

Remove the selector and examine the selector detent hole and see if it is one diameter all the way, or if it is stepped. If you can insert the shank of a 5/32 drill bit into the bottom of the hole and it comes out the top of the hole, it is a problem.

Measure the depth of your hole then study the blue prints so you know what length to cut the sleeve to. Here is one that has had such a correction done

I used K&S Precision Metals, Chicago IL. Stock #128. 5/32 x .014 round brass tube. It is the correct O/D and I/D. Got it at the local hobby store for about $3. You may want to use red loctite to help hold it in place depending on your hole size. I have generally been able to tap them in and they stay locked in place.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-15-2018 at 1:12 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It could also be that the hole is not stepped, but it is drilled through. I have also seen that mistake commonly made on some brands of poly and cast 80% lowers.

That makes the top of the hole that supports the top of the detent too large. The detent is sloppy/loose in the hole and so it leaves the selector sloppy. If that is what happened, you can tap in a brass or aluminum sleeve of the proper length to correct it.

Remove the selector and examine the selector detent hole and see if it is one diameter all the way, or if it is stepped. If you can insert the shank of a 5/32 drill bit into the bottom of the hole and it comes out the top of the hole, it is a problem.

Measure the depth of your hole then study the blue prints so you know what length to cut the sleeve to. Here is one that has had such a correction done

I used K&S Precision Metals, Chicago IL. Stock #128. 5/32 x .014 round brass tube. It is the correct O/D and I/D. Got it at the local hobby store for about $3. You may want to use red loctite to help hold it in place depending on your hole size. I have generally been able to tap them in and they stay locked in place.
Great info. I think that I seen some of mine lowers like that and didn't think much of it.
Old 10-19-2018, 2:12 PM

As long as the safety selector works as intended you should be fine. Unless you have OCD and seeing that lever a few degrees off trips you up.
Old 10-19-2018, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Just install a short throw safety and no one will know any better and it won't drive you crazy anymore.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Thanks k1dude. I started the thread because I am curious to the cause of the misalignment. It functions ok and I will mostly probably leave it just because there are to many to replace. The short throw concept is interesting. I wonder if it could compromise the safety since I reduced the engagement distant by half.
Old 10-22-2018, 9:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Thanks k1dude. I started the thread because I am curious to the cause of the misalignment. It functions ok and I will mostly probably leave it just because there are to many to replace. The short throw concept is interesting. I wonder if it could compromise the safety since I reduced the engagement distant by half.
There are a ton of short throw safeties out there and they are still just as safe functionally speaking. We make an ambi switch with 90 degree and 60 degree throw options and the levers can be installed in 6 different positions. There is still .056" of material between the detents on the 60 degree throw. In my opinion, less than 60 could still be ok, but can be questionable.... for instance a 45 degree throw would only leave .027" of meat in there.