Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-10-2014, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone know what time preorder starts on Friday? Midnight? 6:00am pacific?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Anyone know what time preorder starts on Friday? Midnight? 6:00am pacific?
Apple has not announced an official time yet, but previous years you could preorder at midnight Thursday pacific time, 3am Friday eastern.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Pro tip: Try using the Apple Store app in addition to a web browser when trying to pre order. In past years many people got their phone ordered faster via the App Store app as the main apple web store crashed at 12:01

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 09-10-2014 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Default Apple iPhone 6/Apple Watch Press Conference. Tuesday Sept 9th, 10am - Watch Live

I love Apple. Not very impressed with the 6...i actually ditched my Droid for the iphone 5 because i hated how big my old droid was(and how absolutely unreliable and buggy it was). I think the 5 has the perfect screen size. New ones are too big imo. Maybe next year there will be a version of the 6 that is smaller.

If you already have a tablet, whats the point of a giant phone? I guess Apple just failed to sell it to me this time around. Im happy with my 5S

Last edited by Eldraque; 09-10-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Old 09-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
Pro tip: Try using the Apple AppStore app in addition to a web browser when trying to pre order. In past years many people got their phone ordered faster via the App Store app as the main apple web store crashed at 12:01
In the past, people also had luck ordering through their cell phone provider.

While my friends couldn't get through on Apple's site around 1am, they were able to check out fast through AT&T's website.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM

I am perfectly happy with my iPhone 5 and my wife loves her iPhone 4s. So, my phone upgrade saving account just got turned into a brand new Glock 19 Gen 4. -smile-
Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Apple has not announced an official time yet, but previous years you could preorder at midnight Thursday pacific time, 3am Friday eastern.
Quote:
Pro tip: Try using the Apple AppStore app in addition to a web browser when trying to pre order. In past years many people got their phone ordered faster via the App Store app as the main apple web store crashed at 12:01
Good to know about the app... Hopefully it's not too much of a problem tomorrow night to order. I will be fine with a 16 or 64 gb iPhone 6 in any color.

Also I saw the pre-order times on the Apple website a bit ago (it was indeed 12:01 PST) but now I can't find where I saw it.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Pro tip: Try using the Apple Store app in addition to a web browser when trying to pre order. In past years many people got their phone ordered faster via the App Store app as the main apple web store crashed at 12:01
Perfect thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Just to let you know, those are too small. The screen sizes don't meet the proper size. And the 5s is slightly smaller than a real 5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
This was perfect to use. I printed them out on card stock with no scaling and then cut them and taped them to some cardboard that simulates the actual thickness.

All this time, I wanted the 6 Plus... and still kind of do, but damn is it big. When you actually have it cut out and in your hand, it's really a noticeable in size compared to the iPhone 6 or my current 5. Not to mention, a case (I'll probably use Magpul again) will add some more size & depth to it as well.

At least this helps more with my decision on what to get. Just have to decide before midnight tomorrow

Old 09-10-2014, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

^yup! The I also printed it out. The iPhone 6+ is over kill I think. Unless you play a lot of games then I can see why it is needed.
Old 09-11-2014, 5:49 AM
Veteran Member

Historically customers have been able to purchase the phones from Apple.com at the RETAIL price without contract. I've been surfing through their site and have only seen the RETAIL price for T-Mobile, no Verizon.

I'm assuming when pre-order goes live I will have the option to purchase at full retail for Verizon. Correct?

(Our family has unlimited data and 4G hotspot, grandfathered in with no intention to purchase at the subsidized $199 as we don't want to forfeit)
Old 09-11-2014, 8:15 AM
Super Moderator

There is some confusion on what time the pre-orders are going to start. Someone had a live chat from an Apple rep and was told 12am EST (9PM PDT).

Now Apple is saying they have not announced a time.

I will update this once Apple confirms a time. Reports are being posted on this MacRumors thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1775521

Old 09-11-2014, 8:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Historically customers have been able to purchase the phones from Apple.com at the RETAIL price without contract. I've been surfing through their site and have only seen the RETAIL price for T-Mobile, no Verizon.
In past years the only option that was not available at launch was the "carrier free" phone. Go to apple.com and "check upgrade availability" for your Verizon line. You should be able to buy a phone at that price.

Old 09-11-2014, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is some confusion on what time the pre-orders are going to start. Someone had a live chat from an Apple rep and was told 12am EST (9PM PDT).
Well if there is indeed a 12am EST / 9pm PST launch time, I'm sure Apple may restrict ordering if you have some type of location-service enabled that shows you're in CA on the computer or ISP that you're connecting from.

But if there is a 12am EST launch, then I'll just RDP into a work laptop in our NY office and order that way. Worked a few other times I did it when other sites restricted ordering due to your local time
Old 09-11-2014, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

The only thing that has me hesitant about getting an iPhone 6 and one for my wife is the damn AT&T NEXT program that I recently signed up for. Sure with our existing phones, I'm saving $40/month from my previous family plan with all the same benefits except now I have unlimited talk & text.

The only way I can get the iPhone 6 is either through their 12 or 18 month NEXT plans. And with the models that my wife and I want, that's going to be almost $90 added to each month's phone bill
Old 09-11-2014, 8:45 AM
Banned

ATT will allow pre-order at 12:01am PDST...03:01 EDST
Old 09-11-2014, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

^ just be ready to hit submit as soon as the clock strikes midnight! So have all your info ready to go. Worked out perfectly for me 2 years ago.

I"m going to wait it out till end of this year to see if getting the 6+(size) is worth it.
Old 09-11-2014, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

The last couple of times I pre-ordered an iPhone, they shipped it out to me and that was fine. However, this time I'll be out of town when they are shipped out (or delivered in this case).

Do you know if Apple or AT&T will let you pre-order but pick up the phone at a local store in a different area? Going to be in TX next week and would hate to have my iPhone delivered and sitting on my door step for a few days (including over the weekend) until I get back. But there's a big AT&T store right across the street from the hotel that I'll be staying at.

BTW, I called AT&T and spoke to a couple of different CSR's and both couldn't give me an definitive answer since they didn't know for the new iPhone 6 that wasn't in their system yet. And by the time I do call tomorrow morning, I'd hate for them to be back ordered already
Old 09-11-2014, 9:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
Do you know if Apple or AT&T will let you pre-order but pick up the phone at a local store in a different area?
Unfortunately we won't know if Apple will allow that until midnight. There was some language on their site that mentioned in-store pickup, but it was not consistent on all of the iPhone 6 pages.

They have not allowed in-store pickup for several years on launch day. Generally in store pickup becomes available a week later.

I will opt for in store pickup if I can so I don't have to wait by the door for Fedex.

Old 09-11-2014, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh and for those that are pre-ordering it, UPS will require a signature. just FYI.
Old 09-11-2014, 9:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
Oh and for those that are pre-ordering it, UPS will require a signature. just FYI.
Correct.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Default $300 dollar credit for your existing functioning iphone

Literally hold the phone:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-trade-in.html

Quote:
AT&T Inc. (T) will let customers trade in their old iPhone for a new iPhone 6 and as much as a $300 credit, joining the wave of deals across the industry designed to lure more subscribers.

The offer will start Sept. 12, the same day Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s new devices will be available for pre-order, AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook said today in a phone interview. The phones that are traded in have to be in good working order to qualify, he said. AT&T is now the last of the four major national wireless providers to announce a promotion this week targeted at winning iPhone customers.
Here is another link that gives more promotions: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/iphone-6-release-date/

Last edited by stonith3901; 09-11-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: another link
Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Old 09-11-2014, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator

For anyone still deciding on the size....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBJzH...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-11-2014, 9:14 PM

After the iphone 6 announcement I wasn't very impressed by any means. Ditched the iphone 5 for the LG G3 today. Don't think I'll be going back to apple anytime soon.
Old 09-11-2014, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For anyone still deciding on the size....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBJzH...ature=youtu.be
6 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 09-11-2014, 11:07 PM

Apple's website hasn't loaded for me once, but I used Verizon and got my iPhone ordered within 3 minutes
Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunsmoke View Post
Apple's website hasn't loaded for me once, but I used Verizon and got my iPhone ordered within 3 minutes
lucky! Waiting on ATT or apple.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That was going to be my suggestion; use your carrier's website.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 PM

No dice on either.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunsmoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
That was going to be my suggestion; use your carrier's website.
Yep, worked great. Used ATT website for a grey 6. Couldn't fathom the Plus after I printed the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 09-11-2014, 11:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I put my AT&T preorder in three times each for four lines just to make sure. It was a breeze. Are you having difficulties?
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Bacon makes it better

Took me almost an hour through verizon.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Used the Apple store app to get mine! Pickup in Store on the 19th.

Old 09-12-2014, 5:34 AM

Verizon was a pain to order last night. Took me over an hour to try and upgrade. The website kept crashing or kicking me out. Finally got the order in and it said ship date oct7. This morning igot the confirmation and it say sept 19th. Boy is Verizon's system a mess.

Last edited by phsieh10; 09-12-2014 at 5:42 AM..
Old 09-12-2014, 6:05 AM

Unhappy

Finally got through an hour after midnight to find out that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 9/14. They won't let me pre-order until the 14th.
Old 09-12-2014, 6:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Finally got through an hour after midnight to find out that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 9/14. They won't let me pre-order until the 14th.
Try calling your carrier today. AT&T and Verizon and moving people up.

Old 09-12-2014, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Used the Apple store app to get mine! Pickup in Store on the 19th.
As of 7:45am, I can still buy through the Apple store app and pickup at the store on 9/19, but I'm trying to do it on AT&T's site so I can pick it up from their store.

I can only imagine how long the lines will be at Apple stores next weekend.
Old 09-12-2014, 7:09 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar

I got a 6+ just before midnight through AT&T, but wasn't able to order a 6 until this morning through the Apple Store app. Both show delivery on the 19th. Nice!