Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Default DOJ releases SSE letter

this was recently sent to my FFL. seems they claim you can't modify a single shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 11-07-2018, 2:23 PM

Brought up already in FFL forum http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1488046
And DOJ has posted on the Handgun Roster page:
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns
Old 11-07-2018, 2:45 PM
🇺🇸 jack-booted gov thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

HAH! They're reaching.

Adding an upper AND the requisite 'fixed magazine' compliance device negates manufacturing an AW.
Replacing a bolt/straight-pull upper with a semi-auto upper and NOT having a fixed mag is still an AW - so don't do that.

Manufacturing an unsafe handgun charges are almost inherently impossible. If one replaced a bolt/straight-pull upper with a semi upper and were prosecuted, the DOJ might as well start sending letters to all of those that bought SSE1 guns between 2010 and 2014 - literally hundreds of thousands of "handguns" & tens of thousands of gun owners - or be liable for selective prosecution or get voided for vagueness.

They are trying to head off the LEGAL workaround that Franklin Armory has exposed ... and they're begging for a lawsuit in the process.

-------
Old 11-07-2018, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

I just love the DOJ's weasel words of "may" and "could" be construed as violating the law. They can't say it outright because they want an element of doubt as to whether they would prosecute action X when the actual law is vague on the matter. Gotta spread that FUD.
Old 11-07-2018, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
I just love the DOJ's weasel words of "may" and "could" be construed as violating the law. They can't say it outright because they want an element of doubt as to whether they would prosecute action X when the actual law is vague on the matter. Gotta spread that FUD.
Yeah, it seems like they aren't actualy asserting anything one way or another. They are just using language that makes it sound like they are to discourage people from doing it. If they actually considered it illegal I think they'd just come ight out and say so. "May" can also mean "may not". FUD, indeed. That's all this does. It doesn't actually say anything of substance one way or another.
Old 11-07-2018, 4:33 PM
Libertarian Space Cowboy.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.

"Two Weeks!"

Ca DOJ BOF
“Sometimes you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, executing the hens who laid them on trumped up charges and setting the most rebellious henhouse on fire as an example to the others.”
Old 11-07-2018, 5:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

so until someone gets arrested for installing a gas tube to their newly bought franklin armory ca7 ar pistol, this is just grandstanding/bluff to stop people by the CA DOJ?
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 11-07-2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
HAH! They're reaching.
Chevron deference - they can, so they do & they will. It would have to be argued in court and we all know how long that will take.

Old 11-07-2018, 8:30 PM

I’m sure the gang bangers are worried about this and will keep their pistols they legally bought as single shot.
Old 11-08-2018, 7:55 AM

This letter also means what their department will have the Hair Product user/chronic adulterer with his lifelong best friends wives and the newest super majority will rubber stamp into codified law this coming year.

Get them while you can.

Looks like these will be the purchase of choice next year during Gun Panic 2019.
Old 11-08-2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Yeah, it seems like they aren't actualy asserting anything one way or another. They are just using language that makes it sound like they are to discourage people from doing it. If they actually considered it illegal I think they'd just come ight out and say so. "May" can also mean "may not". FUD, indeed. That's all this does. It doesn't actually say anything of substance one way or another.

It's a general statement to consult the PC before mixing and matching parts together and unknowingly assemble an illegal configuration.

The reason they use the words "May" and "Could" is because they have no way of knowing what is or is not legal, because they don't know what specific parts are being assembled together. Obviously, some combos are legal and obviously or perhaps not so obviously some combos aren't.

Seems like a pretty fair warning to research the PC before haphazardly throwing parts together.
Old 11-08-2018, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its a nice warning to the legalities bit it makes you wonder about all the other stuff they dont put up warnings for like
say changing the stock of a autoloading rifle may make an assault weapon

its a bit like putting up a sign saying arson is illegal but not putting one up saying anything about murder

as for manufacturing it seems to me that if you purchase and have the pistol registered its already manufactured

but i'm not a lawyer

Last edited by bohoki; 11-08-2018 at 7:50 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Chevron deference is a federal rule, and even when imported into California law only applies when the agency followed the administrative procedure statutes. Skidmore deference for agency interpretations is based on whatever persuasive value it contains in the eyes of the court. Personally in California I would not take the risk of being prosecuted for putting a gas tube on a Franklin single shot AR, but everyone can make their own decision on that question.
Old 11-15-2018, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default CRPA Information Bulletin re DOJ's "Important Notice"

I posted this in the FFL subforum already, but just in case anyone has not seen this yet I wanted to post it here as well.

NRA Certified Instructor- Pistol, Rifle, PPITH, PPOTH, Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer

NRA Patriot Life Member - Benefactor Level
CRPA Life Member
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
Old 11-15-2018, 3:11 PM

“may” and “could”. Money may fall out of the sky one day. It could happen.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:58 AM

I assume the second paragraph is really only applicable to the FFLs so they don't modify prior to sale right?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
I assume the second paragraph is really only applicable to the FFLs so they don't modify prior to sale right?
This warning is to everyone and posted on the Roster list.