Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 02-21-2020, 10:21 AM

Default Long range newbie, where to start?

Looking to get into “long” distance shooting (and perhaps a little hunting), which for me initially would probably be out to ~600 yards. I’m looking at some used equipment to begin and am considering a Rem700 police 5r 24” bbl in .308 with an hs precision fixed stock with DBM, low round count, PST gen II 3-15x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA and Harris bipod for $1200. Just wondering if that’s a good starting point? Is an MRAD scope preferable to MOA? Really want to learn to read/calculate wind corrections. From reading through various posts here on calguns, some think an NRA F class competition would be an ideal starting point. Would probably be shooting mostly at CTA in Piru. Thoughts? TIA!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Desert Marksman goes out to 1000 yards. Very nice and relaxed range. As for rifles there are too many variables to consider what to use and your skill level. Your set up sounds like it should work though without issues.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

GOOD... GLASS!!! DO NOT COMPROMISE on your optics, at ANY distance!!!
Old 02-21-2020, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Come out to one of our matches and see what people are using to shoot long range.

Piru is about 90 miles from the Tri County Rifle range near Cuyama, California and we shoot 600 yard and long range matches on the third weekend of the month. Saturdays are a 600 yard match in the morning and a long range match in the afternoon. Sunday we have another long range match in the morning.

Take a look at the Cuyama match post below for directions to the range and match times, etc.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-21-2020, 7:55 PM

Burbank Rifle Revolver club by Castaic has NRA midrange (300-600yds) and Longrange (800-1K) matches, really cool guys and you can learn alot from the other shooters.
https://www.brrc.org/Match-Info
Old 02-22-2020, 5:07 AM

That set up should work fine.
MOA vs. MIL up to you, either will work
make sure and use Match Grade ammo
Some sort of ballistic calculator on your phone, I use BallisticArc from GEO Ballistics
Consider the PR matches CTA. Beginner friendly, any match you choose, there are always shooters willing to help, lend gear, etc. 2nd Saturday of each month.

Im the match director at CTA.

If you have questions email me,
ironmanfinisher@gmail.com

Shoot well and be safe
Old 02-22-2020, 7:37 AM

Good online calculator here.
https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bi..._drift-5.1.cgi
You tube 'sniper 101' video series ( I think there's about 80 of them) has good info, all the way from rifle and scope choices to setting up ballistic charts and reading wind.
....and, you'll end up reloading soon if you get into long range. Ammo tuned to your rifle, better then can be purchased, at 20-30 % of the cost of match.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 PM

There are some differences in formulas and certain quick references that you can do easier in mils like wind. Mils is slightly faster to get through as far as dialing as MOA has finer adjustments. For shooting however I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. I don’t know about that particular vortex but I know the pst2 5-25x50 plus a 20 moa base will have you out to 1000y all day every day.

Ballistic software I’d recommend is applied ballistic, hornady 4dof, and jbm/ballistic ae (phone), coldbore on pc, and lastly trasol.

Reading wind is a thing in itself. The further out you go to more on point your drift dope needs to be and the more your wind call needs to be on point.

Just remember in other disciplines like PRS and some of the ELR comps, you don’t get spotting shots like you do in bench.

A good chrono average is a must although there are different ways to acquire a good MV. A kestrel with ballistics is a really good stand alone tool, but you need to be able to still put in good info and still be able to understand the wind. Wind at the shooter is usually at least 1/3 of the pie.
Old 02-24-2020, 7:09 PM

Don't Purchase anything on a spur of the moment, it does sound like a good starting rifle but there are a lot of options. I shoot Cyuama too, come shoot with us. Give a heads up and I can bring an extra rifle out. or go to another range and get some experience from first hand shooters.

I would look at Rugers firearms in addition. The actions are a bit more modern. 3lug design, and a bolt stop to keep from damaging the trigger.

~Cam
Old 02-24-2020, 9:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
GOOD... GLASS!!! DO NOT COMPROMISE on your optics, at ANY distance!!!
I couldn't agree more. and with that a good base and set of rings too. people seem to dump good money into a rifle and cheep out on glass of rings and bases.
Old 02-24-2020, 9:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsker View Post
Looking to get into “long” distance shooting (and perhaps a little hunting), which for me initially would probably be out to ~600 yards. I’m looking at some used equipment to begin and am considering a Rem700 police 5r 24” bbl in .308 with an hs precision fixed stock with DBM, low round count, PST gen II 3-15x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA and Harris bipod for $1200. Just wondering if that’s a good starting point? Is an MRAD scope preferable to MOA? Really want to learn to read/calculate wind corrections. From reading through various posts here on calguns, some think an NRA F class competition would be an ideal starting point. Would probably be shooting mostly at CTA in Piru. Thoughts? TIA!
that scope would work but you're going to need to upgrade it down the road. 25x is good to get you to 1000 yards.
as for Moa or Mil? Mil is easier once you understand it. Math is less and it's base 10 so it's easier. Moa is more fine of an adjustment. I shoot both but my brain works in Meters and Mils
Old 02-27-2020, 9:56 AM

FWIW, my rifle started it's life as a 700P. I ended up having Spartan Precision Rifles true the action. That sounds like a fine place to get started. The barrel is going to wear out and get replaced anyway, so if you're not reloading right now then caliber doesn't really matter much. When you rebarrel you can figure out if you want to stay 308 or go with a better performing caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor.

You may want to try 155 grain bullets instead of 175.

Remember that learning to read the wind is a skill and skills take time and patience to learn, and you will never be done learning that skill.
Old 03-14-2020, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

@calsker, the most important thing to do is to actually get started. If that means an inexpensive setup, then do it. I started with a cheap Walmart rifle for my 1,000 yard practice. The scope was a Redfield Revolution with the Accu-Range reticle. That setup will get you on the 18"x24" gong at those distances if you do your part. At 600 yards, I had little trouble nailing the gong.

I still use that setup today. Will I win any matches? I doubt it! :-) But I can hit a deer's boiler room at those distances with confidence and put meat on the table if need be. For me, that's good enough at this point.

Higher-end gear is nice, no doubt, but always remember, "it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian." And that means practice.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 03-14-2020 at 9:06 AM..
Old 03-18-2020, 9:03 AM

I appreciate all of the responses and have taken all of it into consideration. I held off buying anything until after I attended the PR match at CTA in Piru (thanks to 5gnut aka Dave, the match director). Most of the rifles looked to be custom jobs beyond my initial budget. However, one gentleman (Cory, I believe) was shooting a Ruger Precision Rifle and doing so quite effectively. Another gentleman, Scott was just shooting at the range with his RPR and after I asked a few questioned, offered up his to shoot. It was a rush hitting a target at 425 yards with ease. Another gentleman shooting the match, Anthony, allowed me to shoot his gas gun at 825 and 1000 yard targets. I got a few hits on the 825, but couldn’t quite hit the 1000. Needless to say, I’m hooked.
The rifle I was looking at above was taken off the market, but I subsequently found another for sale. It’s a Gen3 RPR in 6.5 with approx 400 rounds down the pipe and a Vortex viper pst gen II 5-25x50 mil optic for $1400. What a great deal, so I ended up buying it on Monday. He even threw in a $300 atlas bipod for $170. Now the waiting is going to kill me!! And perhaps finding 6.5 match ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2020, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Watch the entire Sniper 101 series on you tube. It should be a $1,000 dvd set

All types of discussions

Pick the videos that cover your topics

Caliber
Trigger
Optics
Wind

Everything. Is covered

“Sacrificial is now Essential Employee”
“We can’t call people Sacrificial... they can’t hear the truth” Gov Newsom

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-18-2020, 9:54 AM

I know a few guys shooting the RPR in practical matches and it performs well enough. The Vortex PST Gen II will fulfill your needs. Your only issue beyond the 10 day wait is hoping that you can find ammo or a range that's open....
Old 03-18-2020, 9:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-...Un&app=desktop

“Sacrificial is now Essential Employee”
“We can’t call people Sacrificial... they can’t hear the truth” Gov Newsom

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-18-2020, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Competitive shooters are the most welcoming and helpful group of people that I have ever met. By attending matches, and getting to know the competitors, many of them have extra rifles that they will let you use, and buy. The same goes for all of the equipment. Many of the competitors started with an item and decided to buy the same item but from a different manufacturer, and these guys have lots of extra equipment that you can buy for a lot less than retail.
Old 04-06-2020, 1:25 PM

^^^ THIS. ^^^

"It's true. All of it. It's all true."
Old 04-10-2020, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Competitive shooters are the most welcoming and helpful group of people that I have ever met. By attending matches, and getting to know the competitors, many of them have extra rifles that they will let you use, and buy. The same goes for all of the equipment. Many of the competitors started with an item and decided to buy the same item but from a different manufacturer, and these guys have lots of extra equipment that you can buy for a lot less than retail.
I got into F-Class by shooting my tactical rifle in a mid-range monthly match. I was hooked. I asked what I needed, attended the Long Range Clinic and they were very open with all the information to get started.

Fast forward 5 years later, I am shooting F-Class competitively and have seen a number of new Open shooters come into the game. Anytime they ask a question, they get an answer.

Old 04-10-2020, 8:13 PM

Great advice on this thread.

Your proposed setup will work very well.
I agree, do not go cheap on optics.

I would not spend too much getting set up because you'll eventually learn what you want and don't like and want to make changes.

Definitely attend matches and ask questions. People are great at the matches and love to share their wealth of knowledge, i.e., why they bought the rings they did, etc.

Just get out there and have fun.

MOA vs. MIL is like arguing Remington vs. Savage or Dillon vs. Hornady or RCBS. Pick one you like and get familiar with it. Neither is "better" than the other. I like MIL because it is more like the metric system and I hate fractions.

Also, consider the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308. If you're worried about the cost of ammo, then go with the .308.