Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-12-2012, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Will gun stores order SSE guns for you?

I've generally just gone into gun stores that do SSE guns and buy what they have in stock, so I've never had to ask this question.

My buddy called a known SSE store and asked if he could have them order a certain 1911 as SSE and they said "no, we don't do that, what we have in stock is it."

Does this have anything to do with all the "LEO Only" signs all over the non roster gun cases? To keep the DOJ away? If the gun store is asked by an average shmoe to order them a non roster gun and they do it, can they get in trouble (let's say the shmoe was really a DOJ guy being a tester)?

I only ask here and not calling up every shop because if there is an issue here I don't want them getting nervous over the phone.
Old 06-12-2012, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Those guns in the LEO only cases are there because they're only for LEO, not as a decoy to fool the ATF.

It's not illegal to do SSE's so they shouldn't be worried about hiding the fact that they do. Maybe they didn't have the parts to SSE the gun you called about.

I've called stores and asked about SSE's and they are always really friendly over the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 06-12-2012, 7:01 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write Winger View Post
I've generally just gone into gun stores that do SSE guns and buy what they have in stock, so I've never had to ask this question.

My buddy called a known SSE store and asked if he could have them order a certain 1911 as SSE and they said "no, we don't do that, what we have in stock is it."

Does this have anything to do with all the "LEO Only" signs all over the non roster gun cases? To keep the DOJ away? If the gun store is asked by an average shmoe to order them a non roster gun and they do it, can they get in trouble (let's say the shmoe was really a DOJ guy being a tester)?

I only ask here and not calling up every shop because if there is an issue here I don't want them getting nervous over the phone.
None of that makes sense, but no, they cannot get into trouble for ordering a non-rostered pistol and converting it into a single-shot exempt pistol.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I didn't think it made sense either, legal or business wise. As a business, if someone called me asking for a gun I didn't carry, I'd tell them what price I could get it for and the lead time.

But because this involves SSE, I wasn't sure if there was something else going on.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:16 PM

The simple answer is it depends on the gun store. SSE was designed to keep target pistol shooters happy so using it for perfectly legal conversions is legal but uncommon.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:17 PM

I think this is going to vary based on the FFL's doing SSE's.

My FFL will try to order it for me if he can get it or I can source it myself and transfer it to him as long as he has the parts to the do the SSE for the gun.

I think some FFL's wont do it since they just want to sell what they have in stock or just dont want to source the gun you are looking for.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Hell, I don't mind doing some leg work. If I can find an out of state ffl willing to put a gun into SSE, I'll do it all day long.

On that note, anyone know of a dealer in Wasilla Alaska or Olympia Washington who will make a gun SSE? I seem to remember a thread about CA friendly out of state dealers...
Old 06-12-2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Hell, I don't mind doing some leg work. If I can find an out of state ffl willing to put a gun into SSE, I'll do it all day long.

On that note, anyone know of a dealer in Wasilla Alaska or Olympia Washington who will make a gun SSE? I seem to remember a thread about CA friendly out of state dealers...
I have heard of table rock guns in OR i think that will ship it to your FFL in SSE form.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:36 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm804 View Post
I think some FFL's wont do it since they just want to sell what they have in stock
After a small mark-up on the pistol, the transfer fee and the conversion charge, an FFL stands to make $200+ just completing a conversion, so there's more money in conversions than pistol sales.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:37 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I didn't think it made sense either, legal or business wise. As a business, if someone called me asking for a gun I didn't carry, I'd tell them what price I could get it for and the lead time.

But because this involves SSE, I wasn't sure if there was something else going on.
Which dealer was this, and what area are you in?
Old 06-12-2012, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have heard of table rock guns in OR i think that will ship it to your FFL in SSE form.
Not all FFL's will accept SSE guns!

Like Pres Check asked, what area are you in?

The people that need it most never use it!

Last edited by skosh69; 06-12-2012 at 7:54 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Pm sent.

Maybe it was just their policy to not special order.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

This is a well known SSE store, for those that missed that part.
Old 06-12-2012, 7:58 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Correct, and Ryan is an amazing guy to work with. Until my local dealer started doing conversions, I worked with Ryan several times.
Old 06-12-2012, 8:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

We'll order anything you might be looking for assuming we have an SSE kit for the gun you want. You'll just need to come to our location for the transfer.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 06-12-2012 at 9:42 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 8:16 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Speak of the devil. There's my local dealer, LOL.
Old 06-12-2012, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Well giggity lol

My buddy and I are both looking for a S&W 1911sc E Series, the commander size with the rounded butt. He wants the all black finish, I want the two tone. You can pm me a quote (to keep this as a not so obvious marketplace transaction)

Thanks for the dialog everyone, like I said, something didn't sound right, glad it was cleared up.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
After a small mark-up on the pistol, the transfer fee and the conversion charge, an FFL stands to make $200+ just completing a conversion, so there's more money in conversions than pistol sales.
It doesn't pay to stock conversion parts for every pistol out there. The shop has to weigh what they sell, and what is in demand against what they want to spend on the conversion parts. So certain shops will convert only certain models of pistols. Table rock seems to have a long list but they don't have the one I want. However it may changes.

Mark
Old 06-13-2012, 6:27 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Well giggity lol

My buddy and I are both looking for a S&W 1911sc E Series, the commander size with the rounded butt. He wants the all black finish, I want the two tone. You can pm me a quote (to keep this as a not so obvious marketplace transaction)

Thanks for the dialog everyone, like I said, something didn't sound right, glad it was cleared up.
Send me an email if you want a quote please.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ