Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 07-17-2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
how did you get your HSC at 16 or 17?
My dad and I went to The Firing Line in HB to shoot handguns for the first time (for me), and we took the safety class.
Old 07-17-2011, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

There is no class for HSC... You probably just got like a card for that range.
Old 08-25-2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
There is no class for HSC... You probably just got like a card for that range.

There are a number of handgun introduction classes where you take the HSC test at the end of it. I know my dad took my mom to one of them on a date a couple years ago.
Old 08-28-2011, 4:51 PM

grats! i just borrow my dads glock a whole lot. lol
Old 09-15-2011, 2:07 PM

Congrats!

I did this a little over a year ago when I was 20. My grandma passed away and I was given her .357 Smith and Wesson. Went to Turners ( I really don't like that place) took the HSC. They gave me some headache saying I had to be 21 and I told them that I was doing an intrafamilliar transfer and they said whatever. Passed the test. Filled out the form an gave the DOJ their money and about 3 weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying "HEY GUESS WHAT?!?! YOUR A LEGAL GUN OWNER NOW w00t w00t!!!"
Old 09-18-2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalShooterX
The hardest part hands down is getting our hsc.
This is weird because Im a certified instructor for this and it clearly states applicants 18 and over. So they should have given the test to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuckner
Questions inbound!
4. I got my HSC at 16 or 17, I think, but I lost it. (Might have accidentally thrown it away with a used target) How do I go about getting replacement?
I don't know how you got it but you can Not get a Replacement you have to be 18 to even be able to take the test

You Can Not Put A Price On Safety

NRA Life Of Duty Member
Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalShooterX View Post
What a question attack!

Haha, but
2) dad would have to by it. Must be your father or grandfather. Only up and down the family tree, no brothers cousins or friends.
hmm, does this apply if i am the legal guardian of my sibling/nephew/niece/cousin? with parents and grandparents being deceased.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

how old do you have to be to reload? ammo problem solved
Old 10-02-2011, 4:13 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donald View Post
hmm, does this apply if i am the legal guardian of my sibling/nephew/niece/cousin? with parents and grandparents being deceased.
The phrase "parent or legal guardian" is used in many parts of the Penal Code dealing with firearms. But unfortunately the section that allows parents to give handguns to their 18+ year old children only says "parent".

Quote:
12078(c)
(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family.
(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family and all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.

(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a basic firearms safety certificate. If taking possession on or after January 1, 2003, the person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate.

(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.
(3) As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.

(B) Grandparent and grandchild.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
The phrase "parent or legal guardian" is used in many parts of the Penal Code dealing with firearms. But unfortunately the section that allows parents to give handguns to their 18+ year old children only says "parent".
You know since we are kinda on the topic.

How does the penal code for that relate to STEP-parents and transfers? I figure adoptive parents automatically count since adoptions confer parental rights but does the step-definition (while legally recognized other places) meet the up/down linage test here.

And to expand what about inlaws?
Old 10-06-2011, 9:56 AM

To my understanding it's only father, mother, grandfather and grandmother only. I could be wrong.
Old 12-20-2011, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
Awesome, I remember going into the gunstore the day I graduated HS with a parent. 10 days later we picked it up and were going to send in the intrafamily paperwork when the guy at ontarget range said "no there is no way he can have a handgun at 18, you both will be committing a felony if you try that". I LOLed 3 weeks later when I got the letter in the mail from doj saying it now belongs to me...silly ontarget and their FUD
Ya OnTarget doesn't really know their laws too well
Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalShooterX View Post
How I did it?

In case it hasn't been said to death...

I did an intrafamiliar transfer from my father to myself.

I found the thread on calguns with all the information and there's a one page DOJ paper you have to fill it with all the details. It's really easy, write them a $19 check and mail it in, wait about 3ish months. and a paper will show up saying that your background check has cleared and the handgun is legally in your name!

Hope you over 18 under 21 guys like me get inspired to get your own handgun!
I need the link to that thread. My dad gave me his XD9 this morning.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuckner View Post
I need the link to that thread. My dad gave me his XD9 this morning.
I don't know where the thread is that he mentioned, but here is the rundown of what you need to do to receive a handgun from your parent or grandparent in California before you turn 21.

1. You need to be at least 18 years of age.
2. You need to have a Handgun Safety Certificate.
3. The parent or grandparent giving you the handgun has to be a resident of California (as do you).
4. Within 30 days of taking possession of the handgun from your parent or grandparent you need to mail in the intrafamilial handgun transfer report to CalDOJ along with a payment of $19. Here's a link to the form...

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/f...arms/oplaw.pdf

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 12-26-2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
I don't know where the thread is that he mentioned, but here is the rundown of what you need to do to receive a handgun from your parent or grandparent in California before you turn 21.

1. You need to be at least 18 years of age.
2. You need to have a Handgun Safety Certificate.
3. The parent or grandparent giving you the handgun has to be a resident of California (as do you).
4. Within 30 days of taking possession of the handgun from your parent or grandparent you need to mail in the intrafamilial handgun transfer report to CalDOJ along with a payment of $19. Here's a link to the form...

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/f...arms/oplaw.pdf
Thanks. Have a good new year!
Old 11-22-2017, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerman View Post
You know since we are kinda on the topic.

How does the penal code for that relate to STEP-parents and transfers? I figure adoptive parents automatically count since adoptions confer parental rights but does the step-definition (while legally recognized other places) meet the up/down linage test here.

And to expand what about inlaws?
Nothing in the law allows step or in-laws to use the OpLaw process. They must be legal parent/grandparent. Step or in-laws are not legal parent/grandparent as the relationship depends on another person's legal relationship.

However, as an adult child, the step parent who is at least 10 years older than the adult child may adopt the adult child and then, as their legal parent, may use OpLaw to transfer a firearm. Adoptions by step parents of adult children are very easy as the adult child is consenting and the parent being replaced has no legal standing.

http://www.occourts.org/self-help/fa...ons/adult.html

Side note: this is an older thread, but the info is still valid, except it is now a Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) and is used for long guns as well. Further, the DoJ OpLaw form now requires the FSC number to be listed.

My daughter got her FSC last year as she was given her first handgun in her 18th birthday. My son will be getting his FSC today as he was given his first handgun last week on his 18th birthday.

We're still working on the Sheriff to get him to drop the age requirement for a CCW. Nothing in the PC requires one to be 21 to have a CCW permit. You just have to be 18 to legally possess a handgun.

My kids carry unloaded handguns locked in their cars for now. At least if they were stranded somewhere they can defend themselves.

Oh, and now that they are both over 18, I am filing the paper work to legally adopt them. (Their mom, my wife, gave them the handguns, but I want to be able to give them any of my stuff as well).

Last edited by Jason95357; 11-22-2017 at 9:49 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
Nothing in the law allows step or in-laws to use the OpLaw process ...
Jason you know you replied to a six year thread? Many things have changed since then and the OP is 25 years old now.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
Jason you know you replied to a six year thread? Many things have changed since then and the OP is 25 years old now.
No doubt, but it is still the top hit when searching for this matter online. Used to be the CGN wiki, but that got axed a few years back.
Old 05-07-2019, 1:00 AM

Is this still possible with the new 21 for all firearms laws?
Old 05-10-2019, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBunny View Post
Is this still possible with the new 21 for all firearms laws?
Not 100% sure what you're asking, but yes 18-20 year olds can still get guns via intra-familial transfers.