Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Default Need exact location for Sly Park spot

I went to sly park once with other people but I forgot to record the gps location. Now I couldn't find it.

I remember it is next to a creek where people could raft. There are two shooting areas next to each other

Anyone could pin point it on map?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 9:53 AM

Bonetti road in pollock pines 95726
Old 05-08-2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate76239 View Post
Bonetti road in pollock pines 95726
tbank you. I will give it a try

I remember there was also a portable toilet

Could you be a little more detail on the location? Thanks.

Last edited by SmallShark; 05-08-2017 at 3:28 PM..
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 PM

We might not be talking about the same place, there is a creek but I haven't paid much attention if you can raft in it and I haven't seen a porta potty. Look at the screen shot of the map once you turn off Mormon Emigrant trail onto Bonetti you don't need to go far to find the spots you'll probably hear people shooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0380.jpg (11.1 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by nate76239; 05-08-2017 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Added attachment
Old 05-09-2017, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate76239 View Post
We might not be talking about the same place, there is a creek but I haven't paid much attention if you can raft in it and I haven't seen a porta potty. Look at the screen shot of the map once you turn off Mormon Emigrant trail onto Bonetti you don't need to go far to find the spots you'll probably hear people shooting.
Thank you again. I will just search the map little by little.
Old 05-09-2017, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-24-2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post

Yes, always bring an extra garbage bag to clean up the crap that people leave behind.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can get a free black and white map at the local ranger station. One map covers north of hwy 50 the other map covers south of hwy 50. Sportsman warehouse has a real nice color map that shows everything in detail for a few bucks. Its been a while sense we have gone up but the guy that does the clean ups of bonetti rd shooting area said you can dump the bags of trash you collect in the ranger station bin if you cant haul it home. I would check with the ranger first before dumping trash in the bin as its been a while and things change.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low67vdubinnocal View Post
You can get a free black and white map at the local ranger station. One map covers north of hwy 50 the other map covers south of hwy 50. Sportsman warehouse has a real nice color map that shows everything in detail for a few bucks. Its been a while sense we have gone up but the guy that does the clean ups of bonetti rd shooting area said you can dump the bags of trash you collect in the ranger station bin if you cant haul it home. I would check with the ranger first before dumping trash in the bin as its been a while and things change.
thank you so much for the info. i will check Sportsman Warehouse
Old 05-29-2017, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just drive down the trails off Mormon Immigrant Trail until you see the shot up trees and trash.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-04-2017, 8:15 PM

South on sly park, left on mormon immigrant, right past the forest service info stands about 1.5 miles in on mormon. Think its still marked with a red x on the ground. Clean up but more importantly dont shoot over roads and make sure to have a backstop.
Old 06-05-2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:

That would be impossible. Was there yesterday and its completely destroyed again. It would have taken a week and dump trunk. I worry this place will get closed and that would suck since I live on Sly Park road.

To the OP, if you go on a weekend day, be there at sun up, or you will not find a open spot and will be very disappointed.
Old 06-05-2017, 9:24 PM

Remember. Bonneti is like 6 miles deep and runs into capps and happy valley. PLENTY of places to shoot if you are thd kind that doeznt want go shoot with yahoos. I got a 400 yard spot off of caps.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:46 PM

I was there on Sunday and they had federal Park Rangers at the entrance passing out safety info as well as reminding us to CLEAN UP after ourselves.

It was good to see and I hope it put a little scare into the morons who abuse this area.
Old 07-31-2017, 9:49 AM

Saw some cool signs out there yesterday.

Last edited by j15w; 07-31-2017 at 9:53 AM..
Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Booby traps!!

Was there at sun up on Sunday. Beware. I found several boards with framing nails sticking up scattered about all over the spot I was at. It was hard to notice them among the tons of other garbage and shells all over the place. I backed my truck up to the back stop to set up. And did variuos tactical AR shooting strings with movement for about an hour before I noticed them. I still can't believe I was so lucky not to get a flat or step on one and puncture my foot. They looked like they were deliberately put there to me.
Old 08-02-2017, 1:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
I was there on Sunday and they had federal Park Rangers at the entrance passing out safety info as well as reminding us to CLEAN UP after ourselves.

It was good to see and I hope it put a little scare into the morons who abuse this area.
Most of the people who trash these areas come from the city and don't care.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 AM

We have been trying to clean up this area. There are other threads about the dates and times. Please be safe and take out more then you bring. I will keep a look out for boobie traps. Nice signs requesting people to remove their trash is ok but trying to hurt people or cost them money is just shameful.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Its debris from targets people set up. Not booby traps. People drag pallets and 2X4 to set up targets all the time. After they get shot to hell they fall apart but the wood and nails remain. If you see debris in an area your going to train in it might be a smart move to clean the debris first. This is nothing new up there. Nobody packs there stuff out. They leave it for the next guy to deal with.
Old 08-10-2017, 8:29 AM

Im heading out there today, and next week. Making a Wednesday thing out of cleaning up, out there. I get there early, and usually move from spot to spot cleaning up until it starts to get hot. Join me, if you care about doing something and have Wednesdays off. Im the Marine in the Maroon Jeep.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrish View Post
Im heading out there today, and next week. Making a Wednesday thing out of cleaning up, out there. I get there early, and usually move from spot to spot cleaning up until it starts to get hot. Join me, if you care about doing something and have Wednesdays off. Im the Marine in the Maroon Jeep.
need a GPS-able address
Old 08-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
need a GPS-able address
Then your stuck. Its a forest. We shoot there because their are no homes or addresses.

This is the best I can do. You want Bonetti Road. It is off of Mormon Immigrant Trail. It is easy to find once you get out there.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...4d-120.5446778

Pretty much anywhere on bonetti is good to go. It is the most popular area to shoot in that area. Their are a number of turn outs along the road. The spots will be very obvious. Anywhere in the National Forest is pretty much GTG if you have a good backstop and are not shooting over an established road. Here are the rules for shooting in the national forest. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/eld...1008&actid=106
Quote:
TARGET SHOOTING ON THE ELDORADO NATIONAL FOREST

Respect Your Sport / Keep It Safe and Clean

You are responsible for where you shoot and where your bullets go.

Choosing a Location
When you plan on visiting the Eldorado National Forest, make sure to familiarize yourself with the location you intend to use for target shooting. A good shooting area has legal access, an effective backstop that absorbs bullets without producing ricochets, an unobstructed view so that no one can wander into the line of fire without being seen, and no nearby buildings (especially occupied private residences), campsites, or trails.

Know where you are in the forest - National Forest System lands are surrounded by private inholdings and it can be difficult to know with certainty if you are on public land or private property.

Maps - There are many roads and trails in the forest that may be just beyond what you can see in the direction you are target shooting. An Eldorado National Forest recreation map and Motor Vehicle Use Map can help you navigate your surroundings to provide a safe target shooting environment for all forest visitors including yourself.

Tips
Firearms should always be considered loaded to prevent accidental discharge.

Be sure of your target and what is beyond the target.

Pick up after yourself and remove any trash or debris you created.

Preplan your trip to provide for your safety and the safety of other forest visitors.

Safety, Rules and Regulations

All target shooters are expected to always follow the principles of firearms safety, and to obey Federal and California State laws and regulations as they pertain to firearms possession and use.

Please review the guide on “Firearms Use” for the Eldorado National Forest.

It is prohibited to discharge a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury or damaging property 36CFR261.10(d);

In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or other occupied area; or

Across or on any Forest System road, or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge ;

Into or within any cave.

Appropriate Targets - Please use paper targets only and do not leave litter and debris behind associated with your target shooting activities. Glass and household appliances should not be brought to National Forest System lands for use as shooting targets. These items are rarely removed from the forest and cause dumping problems in the forest. 36 CFR 261.11( e) $300. Respect your sport and keep it clean.

Inappropriate Targets - When target shooting remember that is unlawful to damage any natural feature or other property of the United States such as trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are there for public use. 36 CFR 261.9(a) $5000 fine or up to 6 months in jail.

EXPLODING TARGETS: Using explosives on national forest system lands is PROHIBITED! This includes detonating binary explosive targets. 36 CFR 261.52(b) $5000 or up to 6 months in jail.
Thats about as close to spoon feeding as I'm going to get.

P.S. Dont be the average valley dikhead and leave your garbage behind. Be a hero. Pack out more than you pack in. Have fun!

Last edited by Sapperforward; 08-11-2017 at 1:36 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Most of the people who trash these areas come from the city and don't care.

I been shootin here since the early 90's. Its pollock cranksters dumping truck loads of trash that **** that place up. Most flatlanders seem to set up shop and make a whole day event out of it and clean there crap imo.
Old 08-11-2017, 8:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusson View Post
I been shootin here since the early 90's. Its pollock cranksters dumping truck loads of trash that **** that place up. Most flatlanders seem to set up shop and make a whole day event out of it and clean there crap imo.
Funny, tweakers usually have all their trash in their yard.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 PM

thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
Then your stuck. Its a forest. We shoot there because their are no homes or addresses.

This is the best I can do. You want Bonetti Road. It is off of Mormon Immigrant Trail. It is easy to find once you get out there.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...4d-120.5446778

Pretty much anywhere on bonetti is good to go. It is the most popular area to shoot in that area. Their are a number of turn outs along the road. The spots will be very obvious. Anywhere in the National Forest is pretty much GTG if you have a good backstop and are not shooting over an established road. Here are the rules for shooting in the national forest. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/eld...1008&actid=106

Thats about as close to spoon feeding as I'm going to get.

P.S. Dont be the average valley dikhead and leave your garbage behind. Be a hero. Pack out more than you pack in. Have fun!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
thank you so much
Not a problem. If you ever want company on a Sunday and want to shoot some steel let me know. I'm there every Sunday. Well except this one. I got a boo boo. But bandages come off Wednesday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk