Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Noob question: Ordering Ammo Online.

Recently just picked up my first gun, which is an AR15 and planning to order some ammo, but have a few questions regarding the regulations.

1. I know that most ammo shops will not ship to City of Sac. Does Arden Arcade count as the city of sac?
2. Does anyone know if there are regulations within Arden Arcade? I tried google-ing around, but couldn't find any information.
3. If I do get ammo shipped to Arden Arcade, will I still need to submit a form to the City of Sac police?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

The easiest approach is to ask the vendor if they will ship to your zip. If they do great, if not look elsewhere. There's no form you need to submit to Sac PD, or Sac Sheriffs, or DOJ, or Homeland Security, or CA Bureau of Unnecessary Regulation & Redundant Permits, etc.

The 2nd easiest approach is to have ammo shipped to either the UPS hub in W. Sac or a UPS Store in Rancho, Roseville, Folsom, etc. For the hub there's no additional cost, for the Stores it's $5 per package if you don't have an acct or about $8/month for an acct & unlimited package deliveries.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Check the walmart off HWY 65, they have had federal cases(can w/420 rounds) of 55 and 62 grain for $174 bucks! Save yourself some shipping cost and frustration!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Walmart has tula .223 for 4.74 for 20 rounds. I picked up 200 rounds yesterday.
Old 09-18-2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
The easiest approach is to ask the vendor if they will ship to your zip. If they do great, if not look elsewhere. There's no form you need to submit to Sac PD, or Sac Sheriffs, or DOJ, or Homeland Security, or CA Bureau of Unnecessary Regulation & Redundant Permits, etc.

The 2nd easiest approach is to have ammo shipped to either the UPS hub in W. Sac or a UPS Store in Rancho, Roseville, Folsom, etc. For the hub there's no additional cost, for the Stores it's $5 per package if you don't have an acct or about $8/month for an acct & unlimited package deliveries.
This doesn't apply???

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VGVPyCrvb8HVzw

Hmm, good to know about the UPS shipment. Would I just enter my address to there with my name? Or would I need to coordinate with the hub first?
Old 09-18-2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbman View Post
Check the walmart off HWY 65, they have had federal cases(can w/420 rounds) of 55 and 62 grain for $174 bucks! Save yourself some shipping cost and frustration!
Can w/ 420? That ain't that bad.. I'll have to check that out.
Old 09-18-2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Not bad... Might have to pick some up
Old 09-18-2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Is tula brass cased or aluminum? That is a great price but being a re-loader I only like to buy brass cased!

Last edited by rubbman; 09-18-2017 at 5:23 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotASnowFlake View Post
This doesn't apply???

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VGVPyCrvb8HVzw

Hmm, good to know about the UPS shipment. Would I just enter my address to there with my name? Or would I need to coordinate with the hub first?
That applies for physical shops within Sac city limits. Not county though. I guess if you really want to be a loyal subject to the Crown you can photocopy your ID, fingerprint yourself, and send a notarized statement indicating the amount of ammo you bought to the City PD. I'm sure the cops there would get a good laugh out of it.

-------
a bit off topic, but this is why I think we need more people from out of state on this site. People from free America to remind us how to think like free people. We're so beaten down in this state that somehow we think it's normal to submit a form to PD every time we buy ammo. Not trying to bag on OP specifically, I'm sure there's lots of people that think it's a perfectly reasonable thing.

Last edited by kcheung2; 09-18-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
That applies for physical shops within Sac city limits. Not county though. I guess if you really want to be a loyal subject to the Crown you can photocopy your ID, fingerprint yourself, and send a notarized statement indicating the amount of ammo you bought to the City PD. I'm sure the cops there would get a good laugh out of it.

-------
a bit off topic, but this is why I think we need more people from out of state on this site. People from free America to remind us how to think like free people. We're so beaten down in this state that somehow we think it's normal to submit a form to PD every time we buy ammo. Not trying to bag on OP specifically, I'm sure there's lots of people that think it's a perfectly reasonable thing.
Didn't know that was only for physical shops. I had the impression that it applied to even areas outside sac city. So if you're a resident in city of Sac, you need to submit the form even if you buy ammo outside city of Sac.

Honestly, I am just new to owning guns and want to make sure i'm doing everything correct, as not to get arrested/felony/misdemeanor. I agree though, we're so beaten down by laws in CA.
Old 09-19-2017, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

No, it applies only for purchases within Sac city limits, has nothing to do with residence. A Brazilian tourist buying ammo in Sac city must go through this process. A Sac city resident buying ammo in county or Fresno does not have to report anything. Pay and go, just like it should be.
Old 09-19-2017, 3:44 PM

If you don't know if you live in the City of Sacramento or the County, you really are a newbie, in more ways than one. I have to say, it scares me a little to have someone own a firearm without knowing how/where to buy ammo or other relevant law.

However, here's a link to a map that will enlighten you.
http://www.saccounty.net/Government/...sac_021101.pdf

And just in passing Arden Arcade is a neighborhood of Sacramento County, not a city, not within the City of Sacramento.

Here's a link to a really good thread here in Calguns, "How CA Law Applies To Me", that will probably help you a lot. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349

At the moment, there's a restraining order that is allowing online orders of ammo after January 1, 2018. So online orders are ok anywhere in the County, even if online suppliers won't ship to the City.

I'm stocking up, based on the assumption that the restraining order won't hold and LGS ammo prices will skyrocket. I hope that's not so, but "supply and demand", you know.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-19-2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
If you don't know if you live in the City of Sacramento or the County, you really are a newbie, in more ways than one. I have to say, it scares me a little to have someone own a firearm without knowing how/where to buy ammo or other relevant law.

However, here's a link to a map that will enlighten you.
http://www.saccounty.net/Government/...sac_021101.pdf

And just in passing Arden Arcade is a neighborhood of Sacramento County, not a city, not within the City of Sacramento.

Here's a link to a really good thread here in Calguns, "How CA Law Applies To Me", that will probably help you a lot. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349

At the moment, there's a restraining order that is allowing online orders of ammo after January 1, 2018. So online orders are ok anywhere in the County, even if online suppliers won't ship to the City.

I'm stocking up, based on the assumption that the restraining order won't hold and LGS ammo prices will skyrocket. I hope that's not so, but "supply and demand", you know.
OK. Sorry I asked a dumb question that scared you. I guess its wrong to ask questions or to even double check with others to prevent breaking the law or even give more incentive to our unreasonable law makers who could say, oh NotASnowFlake did this because he didn't know his info. Better make laws tighter. Honestly, I just came here to educate myself for the better, as I just got into firearms. I'll admit. I'm a noob, but hey, I'm a noob willing to learn.

I do know that I reside in sac country, but what was unclear to me was just if Arden arcade was part of the city of sac. I do know its a neighborhood, but there isn't any info on it.

Good to know about suppliers wanting to ship into the city even if they're not fond of doing so. That restraining order is the exact reason I want to order online, and get a lot of ammo in bulk before Jan 2018.
Old 09-19-2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
No, it applies only for purchases within Sac city limits, has nothing to do with residence. A Brazilian tourist buying ammo in Sac city must go through this process. A Sac city resident buying ammo in county or Fresno does not have to report anything. Pay and go, just like it should be.
Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense now!