Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 6:30 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The solution appears to be obvious: Drop the $5.00 handling fee and increase the price on all guns by $5.00. That should dry up the river of tears and the board clog of redundant complaints.
with all due respect, this thread exists in a section of the forum that not only is designed specifically for this type of subject, but also happens to be near the very bottom of the home page... for you to be here you had to have actually found it from effort (not something you just stumbled across in the rifle section for example)... the "redundant complaints" are at least relevant and therefore are much less "board clog" than the post I am responding to.

As for adding $5 to the purchase price, that makes as much sense as CA calling "tax" a "fee"... renaming it doesn't explain it, or justify it - and driving the price up for profit is Turners prerogative, but if you are trying to attract customers that's a bass-ackwards way of doing it.
Old 09-03-2011, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
with all due respect, this thread exists in a section of the forum that not only is designed specifically for this type of subject, but also happens to be near the very bottom of the home page... for you to be here you had to have actually found it from effort (not something you just stumbled across in the rifle section for example)... the "redundant complaints" are at least relevant and therefore are much less "board clog" than the post I am responding to.

As for adding $5 to the purchase price, that makes as much sense as CA calling "tax" a "fee"... renaming it doesn't explain it, or justify it - and driving the price up for profit is Turners prerogative, but if you are trying to attract customers that's a bass-ackwards way of doing it.

Seriously! Good response!

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target19 View Post
I don't agree with the $5 Turners fee unless they have to special order a gun.

Exactly! When I buy jeans from sears do they charge me a "handling fee"? NO

I dont understand what the handling fee is for when Turners is in the business of selling guns. I never complain about anything but this fee does not add up.

Its not the $$$ that bothers me its the principal. It didnt say anything about a fee on the add. If it did I wouldnt be here complaining. And if I missed it somewhere I would have paid it but I still feel as if this fee is wrong.

Im seriously trying to like Turners but every time I spend money there I feel bad afterwards. Most of the sale items you have to get on the first day or they are SOLD OUT and the sales people have no idea or clue about what is on sale or not. I went in to buy a cleaning kit for my rifle that is on sale for $14.99 and the sales guy ahd no clue about it and finally just said"were sold out" he didnt know when they would get any more. I had to do my own work to even find the item.

I love Turners but the more I go there the more Im losing faith.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 09-03-2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Exactly! When I buy jeans from sears do they charge me a "handling fee"? NO

I dont understand what the handling fee is for when Turners is in the business of selling guns. I never complain about anything but this fee does not add up.

Its not the $$$ that bothers me its the principal. It didnt say anything about a fee on the add. If it did I wouldnt be here complaining. And if I missed it somewhere I would have paid it but I still feel as if this fee is wrong.

Im seriously trying to like Turners but every time I spend money there I feel bad afterwards. Most of the sale items you have to get on the first day or they are SOLD OUT and the sales people have no idea or clue about what is on sale or not. I went in to buy a cleaning kit for my rifle that is on sale for $14.99 and the sales guy ahd no clue about it and finally just said"were sold out" he didnt know when they would get any more. I had to do my own work to even find the item.

I love Turners but the more I go there the more Im losing faith.

When you buy jeans at sears they don't have to submit a background check on you to the DOJ to see if you can purchase said jeans nor do they have to complete and store federal documents for the ATF.

I have no issues paying the $5 fee so that they can do the +/-15 mins of paperwork involved in a gun sale. Then again im the guy who will gladly pay the .45c fee at the gas station to use my card outside to avoid dealing with the people inside.
Old 09-03-2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:

Wow, have I been schooled or what?! I didn't realize how serious I was, in fact, I could have sworn I was being sarcastic. Mea culpa! It's a good thing there were no zombie movies on so you could educate me! All due respect...
Old 09-03-2011, 7:48 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Wow, have I been schooled or what?! I didn't realize how serious I was, in fact, I could have sworn I was being sarcastic. Mea culpa! It's a good thing there were no zombie movies on so you could educate me! All due respect...
if you don't mean what you type, what's the point?

and although "you could have sworn you were being sarcastic" - I dont know how you expected anyone else to have determined that.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Johnson View Post
When you buy jeans at sears they don't have to submit a background check on you to the DOJ to see if you can purchase said jeans nor do they have to complete and store federal documents for the ATF.

I have no issues paying the $5 fee so that they can do the +/-15 mins of paperwork involved in a gun sale. Then again im the guy who will gladly pay the .45c fee at the gas station to use my card outside to avoid dealing with the people inside.
Yeah I paid $25 dollars for that and it takes 5 minutes and I filled out all of the paperwork. Its all part of the process.

I dont mind paying certain fees but I would like a little more clarity on what it is for. I never paid a $5 handling fee when buying a gun at any other gun shop so why Turners?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM

OK... enough of that handling fee BS.... It is what it is.

The more important question is when are you going to open a store in Temecula/Murietta area? Corona and Kerney Mesa are too far to drag the wife to.

Last edited by Clownpuncher; 09-07-2011 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: I'm a moron
Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post

The more important question is when are you going to open a store in Temecula/Murietta area? Corona and Kerney Mesa are too far to drag the wife to.
Simple... Leave the wife at home...

Sorry couldn't resist.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 09-07-2011, 6:02 PM

Who currently owns " turners outdoorsman " ??

I had heard that Shirley Andrews was trying / going to / buy it back ?
Old 09-07-2011, 7:24 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockpicker70 View Post

from a quick Google search: http://www.examiner.com/fishing-in-s...nvestment-team

as of two years ago anyway...
Old 09-07-2011, 8:56 PM

When I bought my first handgun at Turners I was shocked how much paperwork was involved. For crisake I've closed escrow with less signatures! No wonder they charge $5. Thank the gov for endless red tape.
Old 09-08-2011, 7:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Temecula is on the definitely on the short list of new locations as we look at new store openings in early 2012. PM sent.

22 Stores Located throughout California-

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill
Temecula | Torrance | Victorville | West Covina

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-08-2011, 7:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockpicker70 View Post

Quote:
from a quick Google search: http://www.examiner.com/fishing-in-s...nvestment-team

as of two years ago anyway...
Here's some more info from our first post here on CGN-

Turner's Joins Calguns.net

About Turner's Outdoorsman

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-08-2011, 3:38 PM

I just wanted to stop in and say that I love this thread and I love Turners. Corona is my store and the staff there is great. My only complaint is that I stopped in yesterday to pick up a P95 mag and you guys didn't have any, but the guy I talked to did everything he could to help me track one down. Unfortunately I need it for Sunday which is short notice for most options.
Old 09-08-2011, 9:12 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner's Outdoorsman View Post
Temecula is on the definitely on the short list of new locations as we look at new store openings in early 2012. PM sent.
Meh... San Marcos isn't that far.

How about some lovin' for our brothers up north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 09-10-2011, 1:45 PM

Just a note to turners : if your going to put mosin nagants on sale please stock up on ammo. Everyone in San Diego is sold out apparently big demand....I sure hope you have ammo when I pick up my new piece of history next Sunday. On a side note the ranges around here only allow non magnetic ammo wink wink
Old 09-10-2011, 3:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Finally!!! I used to go to the Riverside store when I lived there and I have bought a rifle from the Corona store that "replaced" it, but it is a bit of a drive from where I live. I can't wait until the Temecula store opens.
Old 09-10-2011, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yeah OK why dont we just say "it is what it is" about ever problem then?

Great way to solve a problem buddy.

Old 09-10-2011, 9:20 PM

Hey why no ppt on an Ak pistol?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Went into the Turners Fountain Valley about ten days ago or so. Was trying to pick up a few of those Durango gun cases that are on sale. Got the same response mentioned above from the guy behing the cash register.I found where they were suppose to be but all were sold. I walked up to the cash register and asked was there any more. He responded huh? What? So I asked again. His response well if there is none over there we must be out.( Really?) So I asked, You dont by chance have extras in the back? His response no! I then asked when they were going to get more. His response- I dont know when we are going to any more back in. Then proceeds to tell me they have been sold out for weeks.

Dissapointing! If they have not had any in weeks , What takes so long getting more in the store? Is it a loss leader type deal or is someone not keeping inventory stocked. I honestly think you can restock gun cases within two weeks. The add is no good to me if whats on sale is not there to buy.

I understand the deals are good and you have no control over how fast things get sold, but please restock. I just keep getting the impression you guys only want to sell limited amounts of certain things you advertise. This isnt the first time I have came across this on something advertised.

Last edited by Napalm Bulldog; 09-12-2011 at 9:34 AM..
Old 09-11-2011, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak714 View Post
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbirnbaum2 View Post
Just a note to turners : if your going to put mosin nagants on sale please stock up on ammo. Everyone in San Diego is sold out apparently big demand....I sure hope you have ammo when I pick up my new piece of history next Sunday. On a side note the ranges around here only allow non magnetic ammo wink wink
Ammo is thin right now after two nice bunches of clean rifles.

Wouldn't you know it- when we have ammo, no one has rifles; when we get a good shipment of rifles, all we can find is corrosive or bi-metal ammo.

We're working on it, though and hope to have something in shortly.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak714 View Post
As long as the magazine is fixed- as with other AK type rifles- and the capacity is 10 or less, we have no issues on a PPT.

In fact, we're going to have a second batch of single-shot Hellpup pistols in shortly.

PM, sent.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-12-2011, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As long as the magazine is fixed- as with other AK type rifles- and the capacity is 10 or less, we have no issues on a PPT.

In fact, we're going to have a second batch of single-shot Hellpup pistols in shortly.

PM, sent.
Why then was my ppt refused at the chino hills store mgr said corporate wouldn't let him do it for an ak pistol
Old 09-12-2011, 2:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercf View Post
Why then was my ppt refused at the chino hills store mgr said corporate wouldn't let him do it for an ak pistol
No good reason at all...

PM sent.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-12-2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:

Now to the heart of the C&R issue. We are working with some very good folks (you all know these hard working guys) to get some things cleared up with regards to the exemptions and latitude that is extended to C&R licensees. We hear one thing from one regulatory entity and something a bit different from another. Under the advisement of the folks who are doing some work on this, we won't be commenting further until we hear back from them. But do know that we want to have C&R folks maximize the amount of utility that their license affords them. It's best for them and absolutely it's best for all dealers.
I am wondering if there is any news on you guys doing the C&R + COE exemption for the one hand gun in 30 day rule like other dealers are doing? Here is the Calguns thread about it http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=449449 with an explnation (post 103) on how to pick the right exemption on the drop down menu of the DROS screen so it does not get rejected. Post 103 was written by tenpercentfirearms who is a Calguns Foundation Board Member. Other 01 FFL's are giving the thumbs up for this being correct as well as the Chairman of the Calguns Foundation who I believe is a attorney (hoffmang)
Old 09-13-2011, 5:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
I am wondering if there is any news on you guys doing the C&R + COE exemption for the one hand gun in 30 day rule like other dealers are doing? Here is the Calguns thread about it http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=449449 with an explnation (post 103) on how to pick the right exemption on the drop down menu of the DROS screen so it does not get rejected. Post 103 was written by tenpercentfirearms who is a Calguns Foundation Board Member. Other 01 FFL's are giving the thumbs up for this being correct as well as the Chairman of the Calguns Foundation who I believe is a attorney (hoffmang)
We do not have yet received an answer to the question(s) that we tendered through the folks that are helping us out. When we do, we post in this forum.
PM sent, too.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-13-2011, 5:13 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
We do not have yet received an answer to the question(s) that we tendered through the folks that are helping us out. When we do, we post in this forum.
PM sent, too.
The answer to the question is in the California Penal Code...
Quote:
12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one handgun within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.
And I found the source of the FUD that has dealers claiming that this applies only to C&R purchases:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/9907.pdf
Quote:
Any person who is a licensed collector pursuant to Chapter 44 of Title 18 of the United States Code and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to PC 12071 (curio and relic firearms only).
Gotta love Bill's underground regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 09-13-2011, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Yeah OK why dont we just say "it is what it is" about ever problem then?

Great way to solve a problem buddy.
Really? You're really comparing this to "every problem"?

This store is nice enough to provide representation on this forum, provide timely feedback to its customers, and generally from what I have seen, takes care of them better than most businesses of their size.

The $5 charge has been discussed ad naseum both in this thread as well as several others where links were provided. I'm relatively new to the forum and even I can find it.

Continuously wanking about the fee does nothing but show your limited mental capacity to comprehend what has already been said and explained several times, therefore, it is what it is.

If it bothers you that much, go somewhere else. Chances are when you do have a problem you won't find the customer service that Turners provides. Of course you can always buy online and save a few bucks, but then you would have to pay shipping and would have no limit on the FFL fee. Or you could drive around town looking for the best deal, wasting more than the $5 you are complaining about.

To me, $5 isn't that big of a deal to support a local store who takes an active interest in the community and takes care of their customers. Maybe if there were more businesses like that and more people who thought like that there would be fewer wal marts and other big box stores with the service of a morgue.
Old 09-13-2011, 8:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
The answer to the question is in the California Penal Code...

And I found the source of the FUD that has dealers claiming that this applies only to C&R purchases:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/9907.pdf

Gotta love Bill's underground regulations.
Agreed, there are a lot of similar "regulations" or "best practices" that were constructed during the tenure of certain folks at various levels; a lot of which did not go through the proper statutory process.

PM sent.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-14-2011, 3:16 PM

+1 for pete at the signal hill store.. great guy and always goes out of his way to help me when i come in.

fastest PPT ive ever seen in my life, did one for me in about 20 minutes.

WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
Old 09-14-2011, 7:47 PM

I just want to say I think a store in Ventura County would be a gold mine for you.

Please consider us for one.
Old 09-14-2011, 8:11 PM

Quote:
That would be the best spot its between kerney mesa and corona and that city is huge and the cities around are growing fast!!
Old 09-14-2011, 8:38 PM
Made in the USA

Default Thanks Norwalk!

Kudos to Norwalk store!!!

Went in to get some PMC .223 that was in today's "Off the Hook Special" - one day only email add... but I got there a little late in the day (4:00-ish) and they only had four boxes left (I wanted 10, which is maximum per person purchase)...

I started to call FV and SH stores to see if they had any in stock, and clerk realized my predicament and offered some Remington that they had plenty of for same sale price! Manager did price-adjustment = hassle-free and out the door swiftly!

I love it when it happens like that
Old 09-15-2011, 7:59 AM

Quote:

To me, $5 isn't that big of a deal to support a local store who takes an active interest in the community and takes care of their customers.
I'm already supporting the store by purchasing something, why should I be forced to support them with an extra $5. Would you like to pay an extra $5 at every store you shop at just because you like them?
Old 09-15-2011, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
I'm already supporting the store by purchasing something, why should I be forced to support them with an extra $5. Would you like to pay an extra $5 at every store you shop at just because you like them?
Good point! As a powerful community we should band together and boycott all businesses and organizations that charge fees on top of their basic service charges. I think I'll start by cancelling my Costco membership. $35 a year so I can spend good money on pallets of burritos, duct tape and toilet paper just doesn't seem fair. And after checking out the BS fees on my utility bills I'm cancelling all of them too. And I don't think I'll be buying gasoline here anymore either. I'll order it online from some guy in Oklahoma who lives in his mom's basement and save the state taxes and AQMD and CARB fees. That'll show em...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Made in the USA

I think many of you are missing the point of the $5 fee question... its not a matter of being too much or unwarranted - people are asking for an explanation.

Too many people in this thread are implying "shut up and pay it"... that's not acceptable to most logical right-minded individuals. Many of the examples being given are not comparable - a tax is explained, a membership fee is explained... the $5 handling fee is ambiguous - and people are justified in wanting clarification..

If you don't mind paying fees without explanation - you are sheep and part of the problem in this state/country.
Old 09-15-2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
I think many of you are missing the point of the $5 fee question... its not a matter of being too much or unwarranted - people are asking for an explanation..
Fair enough. I wasn't implying you shut up and pay it, simply saying that if you would go back to the thread that has been linked to several times in this thread you would probably find your answer.

Quote:
you are sheep and part of the problem in this state/country.
Wow... drama much?
Old 09-15-2011, 6:58 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:

Wow... drama much?
it's not drama... it's simply my opinion (and the opinion of many others) that we pay way to many "fees" that are unexplained... and unfortunately far too many people (particularly in CA) never question it; it has resulted in problems, problems that could be avoided if more people stop being sheep and wake up.

This is going off topic in regards to Turners - the subject is one thing, but I agree it isnt an isolated "Turners" issue - however, the reason people question the Turners fee is justified the same way.