Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-26-2010, 5:59 PM

Default Monarch woes, and recommendations please

So today I went to Angeles with my newly assembled .308 to put some rounds down range. It was a nice day out, not too crowded, and full of anticipation. The rifle is a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a 20 MOA base, medium XTR rings, and a Nikon Monarch 8-32x50ED topping it off. My bore sight ended up being spot on on windage, but I was shooting 6" high at 100 with good groups. That's when I got cranky. I went to adjust elevation and was already maxed out coming down! I come to find out after the fact that this scope only has 20MOA of adjustment! If I push out for some serious distance that's great, but even at 200 I was waaay too high for a zero. This leads me to believe that in order to get a usable zero I'm going to need to remove the 20MOA base in favor of a 10MOA base, which will still max my range out at 600ish, and cost another $100. My math is as such on the range; 5moa high with 20moa base= 5moa low with a 10 moa base. This eats up 5 moa of the scopes 20, leaving 15 for distance. Roughly equating to a max range of 590 yards.

I find this to be unacceptable and would like recommendations on scopes in and around the $500 range. I know it's been asked 1000 times, but even after searching and reading tons of threads I feel as though I need direct advice. I've been eyeballing the super snipers, as well as some others, like the Millet and Vortex lines. I kinda like having lots of magnification, but it is not an absolute requirement. I do require something that is going to be clear and pleasant to look through (hopefully as nice as the monarch), will have repeatable and reliable clicks, and something that will last a while. I'm not there yet, and haven't made any changes but would like to push this rifle out to 800 yards.

Also, what is a fair asking price for a barely used 8-32 Monarch?

As always thank you for your time!
-Brandon
Old 10-26-2010, 7:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I really like my Falcon Menace 4-14FFP EMD. I know they make a 5-25. I have a friend who can get you one for a really good deal if you want. Do a google search on them and read some reviews. The glass is clear, has crisp clicks, is MIL/MIL, FFP and is repeatable. Its hard to ask for more than that at $400. I have heard the Super Snipers are nice as well as the WOTAC's. I don't have enough experience to comment on those 2 optics though.

www.mtnarmory.com

Battlecomp 1.0 only $145!

10/30 pmag $17 and 10/20 pmag $18

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/skater4evr15/Footer.jpg
Old 10-27-2010, 4:12 PM

a couple suggestions.....check out a Vortex Viper.........also, lots of people using Bushnell Elite 6500 and seem very happy with them.....I run a Viper and it's a very nice scope.

good luck