Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-23-2013, 8:34 PM

Default license to carry for close protection detail

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with some advice. I have done some research but am not really sure if I'm going the right way about this.

I am from ireland and have worked in the close protection business in ireland and the middle east. My wife is from san diego and we recently moved here. I am looking to get into the close protection (or bodyguarding) business in san diego but i will need a permit to carry while on duty. I also need a madatory 40 hours cali training to obtain a liccense. As far as I am aware I need to do my guard card and open firearm license first then concealed. If I get a open firearm license for work as a security officer is that a sufficent reason to recieve a ccw? Because of potential threats off duty etc. Working in the cp industry I would need permission to carry all the time as I cannot be sure that someone I encounter while on duty will not be around while off duty etc. I will need my license from day one if I am to get work in close protection. Any advice on this matter or good ttraining schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 07-23-2013, 8:56 PM

Good Luck ....

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/guard_fact.shtml
Old 07-23-2013, 9:24 PM

@becxltoo984 thanks for that. The only question I have on that is how do I obtain a ccw while on duty. I'm told a ccw for personal protection and for work are different licenses
Old 07-23-2013, 9:27 PM

Never mind.... just seen it in the ccw link. Thanks. One last question, do u think I should apply for the ccw once I obtain the gaurd caed and open firearms permit or at the same time?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 AM

Yes they are two different licenses and require different documents and training
Old 07-24-2013, 6:37 AM
retired Goon

Keep in mind that if you apply for a LTC permit for work reasons, the issuing agency can legally place a restriction on so that it is only valid while working.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-24-2013, 7:51 AM

In CA. and especially in San Diego Co.
If you are an "independent security" contractor you will also need a Private Patrol Operators (PPO) license in addition to your guard card and exposed weapons permit. It is illegal provide contract security services without a PPO.

If you are going to work for a licensed security company (a PPO or PI) they will have to petition (write a letter) the issuing agency to their need for you to be armed and concealed.

I am a SD co. CCW instructor so PM me if you have further questions.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.