Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlockdown View Post
I know, stupid right, but I was having a really bad issue of the 795 only firing the first round, the 2nd round would go in the chamber but nothing happened when i pulled the trigger.
What ammo are you using? Is it High-Velocity or Standard-Velocity?

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM

i have been using the winchester 36gr plated hollows. Ive tried switching ammo but that doesnt help. Im hoping replacing the sear spring will do the trick
Old 07-27-2009, 2:17 AM
Veteran Member

You shouldn't need to replace the sear spring. My 795 will not cycle Winchester .22LR either, and I've had over 5000 rds through it, so it's definitely broken in. My 795 runs really well on Remington Golden Bullet 38Grn HPs from Walmart. Rem GBs run hotter than Winchester. I only use the Winchester .22LRs in my Russian Tula TOZ-78 bolt action.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 AM

i have a brick of the rems too so ill try that out next time
Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM

hey all i purchased a marlin 795 on the 23rd so ill be getting it on monday (never had such a long 10 days). ive been reading this whole thread and others on it and have read nothing but good things so i had to have one. i do have one question though, i love the way the ati stock looks but apparently needs a little modifying to fit. does anyone know how to install it?
Old 08-01-2009, 1:36 PM

I used a dremel tool to grind/extend out the recess in the trigger guard fitting and to cut out the mag well. The marllin trigger guard extends about an inch and a half past the ATI recess provided. And be very careful with that marlin trigger guard, it is plastic and is a little flimsy around the edges. I really like the ATI stock, it's nice and sturdy in case you need to buttstroke something.
Hope this helps
Old 08-01-2009, 2:24 PM

excellent i want to put one on asap... if its not too much trouble and no rush, could u post up pics of the trigger guard and recess in the ati stock?
Old 08-03-2009, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Get to pick mine up on the 7th. I have an airgun scope I plan on putting on it. Can't wait. Need to find ammo. Any to AVOID?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 08-03-2009, 5:04 PM

The manual lists a few brands that Marlin tested to work in the 795. The only one it says to avoid is the Remington Thunderbolts as far as I can remember.

I have been using CCI Mini-Mags and they work great! The Federal is supposed to work well also. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 08-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks! Do they say exactly why there is an issue with that ammunition?
Quote:
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 08-03-2009, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Avoid standard velocity and plain lead. Plain lead and some plated ammo can both be dirty and cause reliable function issues.
Hi- velocity coated or plated works best.
Every rifle is different; so, get some ammo from each maker and try them out.
Federal bulk and CCI Blazer have worked very well for me.
No Remington ammo has been worth a darn in either my Marlin Model 60 (tube magazine)or my Glenfield Model 70 (clip magazine.) Both from the 1960s.
Everything functions in my Marlin Model 39 lever action circa 1920s; but I had to fit a modern breech bolt to handle the hi-vel ammo.
The S-prefix serial number 39 breech bolts were only able to handle standard velocity stuff.

Single fin mentality

Last edited by otteray; 08-03-2009 at 6:56 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a bunch of Fiocchi high velocity copper plated hollow points. 36 grain 1200 something fps. Hope they work.
Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech View Post
Get to pick mine up on the 7th. I have an airgun scope I plan on putting on it. Can't wait. Need to find ammo. Any to AVOID?
I found some CCI Stingers at Wal-Mart and ran them through my 795. The Stingers are "Hyper-Velocity" ammo and the manual does not recommend using them. Even in a 22, there was a definite greater recoil, sound, and muzzle blast.

They grouped the best out of all the ammo I tried, but given that they were not recommended by the manufacturer, I went with the second-best in my test: CCI Mini-Mag 40gr. Round Nose.
Old 08-04-2009, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Do they say exactly why there is an issue with that ammunition?
A Link to the manual:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/m..._22LRMACH2.pdf

It just states that they have tested some brands that worked the most consistently and by Remington High Velocity it shows (Not Thunderbolt). So the Thunderbolts may work, just not as well as the others.

Hope this helps!

FROM THE MANUAL:
NOTE: Our testing has shown that the
following types of 22 L.R. ammunition
produce the most consistent functioning
and the best accuracy in our self-loading
22 rifles:
• CCI Mini-Mag
• CCI Mini-Mag Hollow Point
• Federal Classic High Velocity
• Remington High Velocity (Not Thunderbolt)
• Winchester Super X High Velocity
Old 08-05-2009, 5:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks
Quote:
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Get to pick it up tomorrow. Big5 and 11 day wait... Rediculous.
Quote:
Old 08-07-2009, 4:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, Big5 sucks in that regard. Good prices on "sale" firearms, bad policy on waiting period.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM

My Son really likes the Muzzelite Bullpup stock but not sure if it'll fit the 795. I'm hearing different stories as to weather it will fit. i know it will fit the Marlin 70 but not sure about the 795. Anyone have any experience see one on a 795? How different is the 795 from the 70?
Old 08-07-2009, 1:58 PM

Just picked up my Marlin 795 yesterday. I'll post pictures when I've installed my scope and sling, because I'm sure everyone here has seen a stock 795 before.

I'm probably just gonna slap a Bushnell 4x32 on it, because I'm not gonna do anything more than casual target shooting and plinking.
Old 08-09-2009, 8:37 AM

So I went to clean the rifle for the first time and noticed something interesting... the bolt release lever no longer functions... I'm puzzled. I haven't done anything to the gun (that I know of) other than install my sling. Worked fine in the store. Any ideas? I've tried safety on/off, magazine inserted/empty... nothing.

EDIT: Figured it out, had to pull back slightly on the bolt, move it out to the right, and then guide it forward.

Last edited by Caseus; 08-09-2009 at 8:43 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

The action has a bunch of stamped sheet metal. I'm surprised it works at all.

Took mine out today for the first time. Sighted the scope in about twenty rounds at about 50 yards. Fired about 200 rounds with about 5 malfunctions. I will clean it, lube it and take it out again tomorrow. Grouping was about 1.5 inches @ 50 yards. Not too bad for an oldtimer like myself. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

Btw, When you see people at a shooting spot in the national forest, dont come pouring out of your car with a gun in your hand and beer bottles droping out of the car. Just keep going...
Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM

The action looks sound from an engineering standpoint, but the charging handle is suspicious to me. It seems like it just doesn't fit right. It's a tad bit wiggly.
Old 08-10-2009, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Shot the 795 again today. Put about 300 more rounds through it. Some failures to eject later on. I used a dental pick to clean the buildup from the bolt face. Problem solved.

Went to around 150 yards. Group was about 3". Pretty decent. Shot a 9mm sized hole through a quarter. Pretty cool. Exploded some cantelopes. Had fun. Still happy with the 795.
Quote:
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Picking up mine from Big 5 today after 11 day DROS. I have Tech sights and a M1-style sling waiting for it, going to try it out on Sunday (after a good cleaning and lube) to sight it in.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Shot the 795 again today. Put about 300 more rounds through it. Some failures to eject later on. I used a dental pick to clean the buildup from the bolt face. Problem solved.

Went to around 150 yards. Group was about 3". Pretty decent. Shot a 9mm sized hole through a quarter. Pretty cool. Exploded some cantelopes. Had fun. Still happy with the 795.
What ammo are you using? Sounds like some dirty stuff. I shot 100 CCI minimags, and probably another 300 of the winchester bulk pack (which was dirty compared to the cci) and I only had one failure to fire, and I think that was because of the bullet, not the gun.

Did you break your gun down and clean it before firing it the first time? From the responses here, I did that, and didn't have any problems with it.

I took it home from the range and broke it down and cleaned it, ready to go again this Saturday w00t.
Old 08-11-2009, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Picking up mine from Big 5 today after 11 day DROS. I have Tech sights and a M1-style sling waiting for it, going to try it out on Sunday (after a good cleaning and lube) to sight it in.
From my unworthy and humble experience:
I recommend a VERY LIGHT LUBING or else graphite for the action; plated or coated ammo; stay far away from Remi; use CCI, Win or Fed when using bulk buy ammo. Hi-vel only, no standard vel.
Don't kink the action's spring when you put it back together after cleaning!

HondaMasterTech-- Very impressive !

Single fin mentality

Last edited by otteray; 08-11-2009 at 5:46 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 5:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

So you were grouping 3" groups at 150 yards with a marlin 795!?!? What scope, what ammo, and obviously bags or bipod. Wow, thats some impressive shooting. My trigger is so jacked up from gunscrubber it will never be the same. It still functions, but its a crazy pull to get it to work.
Old 08-11-2009, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

No joke. I was using a cheap daisy powerline 3x9 variable scope from walfart. Fiocchi high velocity 36 grain. I used one bag on the roof of my car as a rest. Best part about the day was helping my son learn to shoot.
Quote:
Old 08-11-2009, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

*38 grain*
Quote:
Old 08-12-2009, 7:31 AM

Got my Marlin from Big 5 last night, turned it into a Liberty Training Rifle (M1 sling, tech sights) and gave it a good clean. Looking forward to zeroing it and breaking it in on Sunday at Angeles Let's see how accurate this thing is -- I heard it was equal to or better than the Ruger with the right sights on it. Just wish I could get that trigger lighter without too much hassle.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No joke. I was using a cheap daisy powerline 3x9 variable scope from walfart. Fiocchi high velocity 36 grain. I used one bag on the roof of my car as a rest. Best part about the day was helping my son learn to shoot.
All right, I want pics and a witness! I have NEVER shot that well with it. Hell, at 100 yards I was getting 4-6" groups with wolf subsonic match ammo.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Took my 795 to the range for a quick shoot last night. Didn't have much time, so I only fired about 100 rounds remington subsonic and about 20 rounds winchester super-x. Cycled really clean, no FTE/Stovepipe. I checked out the expent shells, and the hammer imprint is really solid compared to some of my friend's guns that are 60+ years old, no wonder they fail to fire so often. I was able to get a quarter sized group at 50 feet with the stock iron sights, they are pretty ****ty. I'm waiting on a paycheck or a birthday present until I get some optics.
Old 08-13-2009, 3:56 PM

has anyone done a write up with pics on how to install the ati stock on a 795
Old 08-13-2009, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

My wife, son and dad were with me. I have the target ( paper plate with ShootN'See sticker ). Wish I could prove it to you but a picture isnt proof. My word is worth a pile of ammo. I have no pride or reason to lie.
Quote:
Old 08-15-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Marlin 795

I just purchased a Marlin 795 online from Bud's Gun Shop. Only $145 delivered, can't beat it. I hear they're great shooters.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmp01 View Post
has anyone done a write up with pics on how to install the ati stock on a 795
I've installed one. You need to use a Dremel to open up the trigger guard area to accommodate the longer 795 trigger guard plate. It's pretty easy.

Using a Dremel attachment like this makes things a little easier : http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...l.aspx?pid=115

Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Default 56k Beware!

Alright, finally got my little plinker together the way I want it!

Here is the gun when I first picked up my sling:
http://imgur.com/kMu7B.jpg

Here she is being cleaned:
http://imgur.com/LEz5M.jpg

And here she is with a cheap walmart scope:

Can't wait to get out to the range and zero in my scope. All together it will be $230 after I get my rebate check back. Now if only I could find some ammo...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:03 PM

What rings are you guys using? I have some weaver rings, but they aren't living up my expectations lol. They kept slipping while I was trying to zero in the scope. i got angry, and just took off the scope and rings, and am just going to pop on some Tech Sights.

Also, what are your guys groups at 50 yards? Shooting bulk to cci minimag ammo?
Old 08-18-2009, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

50 yards are about 1 " or so. Using a front rest.
Quote:
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Took it out again, unfortunately my rifle doesn't like Remington Gold Bullet value-packs Had two stovepipes out of maybe 40 rounds. Too bad, cheapest ammo around. If any stores actually had it instock of course.