Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-16-2018, 4:34 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Default Adding guns to a permit in OC Instructor question

I'd like to add three guns to my CCW and remove three. After four years of not carrying with a permit because all I wear is shorts and a T Shirt I am thinking mouse guns, like a Beretta 950, a Guardian and a Sig P238 and canning the glock 26, EMP, and 938.

I used Greg Block for my renewal and initial, and I love the guy, he's a crack up, but he's all the way up in Artesia now, and its always a circus on training day. I checked On Target with their "you buy our ammo and targets deal" and its A bit stiff for my budget. .

CORRECTION: I must have run into a newbie clerk at On Target the first trip in. I did training there on may 22 for half what originally quoted. Things were super easy. Highly recommend these guys.

Any ideas who might certify three pistols for a reasonable price in OC?

Right now I am thinking just buck the lines and traffic and go with Block. I am in South OC

Last edited by bubbapug1; 05-25-2018 at 5:46 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 5:25 PM

Contact Trent at FAST OC in Orange.

http://fastoc.com/

Regarding the mouse guns - I have a Sig P238 on my license and it's a good size for pocket carry, I just don't like carrying cocked and locked in my pocket. I also have a Glock 27 and I personally find it too large to pocket carry. My fave pocket carry is a Ruger LCP.
Old 04-16-2018, 5:46 PM

OP -- did you contact On Target and they specifically told you that to add 3 guns will cost $150+ in ammo?

My understanding is that to add a weapon to an existing permit, OCSD only requires that you pass a 20-round demonstration, as indicated here:

http://www.ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw

Which states, and I emphasis in red:

“Effective immediately, Weapon qualification will consist of shooting a complete 72 round qualification (24 rounds at 3 yards, 24 rounds at 5 yards, and 24 rounds at 7 yards) with the first handgun. All subsequent handgun qualifications will consist of a 20 round qualification (10 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards)… “

In that case if only 20 rounds per gun are needed to add, then the ammo should not cost $150+ for 3 guns or even the maximum 5 guns.
Old 04-16-2018, 6:55 PM
CGN Contributor

On target requires you buy a 50 round box of Ammo to shoot 20 rounds. You can't expect them to break up boxes.

EDIT 5 24 2018 - Went back to On Target and just eat the pain....however, this time I was directed to a different employee who I had known from my seven years there as a member. Alas, the cost truned out to be very reasonable $70.00 versus the $150.00 I was quoted weeks ago. I shot the course and things went well...

It goes to show your experience may vary from employee to employee, and if at first you don't succeed, maybe get a second opinion....

Last edited by bubbapug1; 05-24-2018 at 1:49 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
On target requires you buy a 50 round box of Ammo to shoot 20 rounds. You can't expect them to break up boxes.
Breaking up a 50 round box was not the idea.

But anyway, if it's only 1 caliber for all 3 guns, then only 2 boxes are required to fulfill the 20-rd per gun requirement.

If you have different calibers, it's either 2 or 3 boxes maximum.

How did 3 boxes add up to $150+?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

These guys teach at Evans and FT3. Prices look reasonable: http://www.ocfirearmsacademy.com/california-ccw-course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-17-2018, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Three calibers, targets, $23.00 lane fee. Came out to $150.00

25acp 32acp 380.

I was a member there for 9 years but when they stopped allowing you to recover your brass I stopped going there. I was there before obama was elected and shot there when the Russian ran it. It's way different now. They have to cover the overhead for the concierge chicks and the remodel. I'll drive to west end and keep my 30 Mauser and 30 carbine brass.
That is out of hand. They did steeply hike up prices on everything last year on account of "increased insurance costs."

Anyway, may I suggest Artemis in Lake Forest. I did add-a-guns with them in 2016 and at that time, they allowed me to qualify 2 guns for the price of one (not sure if that has changed):

http://www.artemisdefenseinstitute.com/

Good luck
Old 04-17-2018, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Contact Trent at FAST OC in Orange.

http://fastoc.com/

Regarding the mouse guns - I have a Sig P238 on my license and it's a good size for pocket carry, I just don't like carrying cocked and locked in my pocket. I also have a Glock 27 and I personally find it too large to pocket carry. My fave pocket carry is a Ruger LCP.
Just hired Trent last week to qualify me on two guns to be added, one of them an EMP. We met at Evans and it was quick. Paid Trent a flat fee of $30 (included a target), the range $20, and brought my own ammo (74 rounds for each gun). In addition, Trent corrected some issues with my shooting form that was very helpful. He had the qualification form to me via email later that day.

Also, as an aside, Trent told me to expect 10 to 14 days for approval after submitting everything online to OCSD. However, I actually got an approval and "come get it" email 2 hours later!

And the EMP is a great gun. I've had no problems with it and it conceals well, being a single stack. Capacity is good at 9+1.
Old 04-17-2018, 6:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Emp is a great gun..and it looks great too...
Old 05-23-2018, 5:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Had a time set up with OC fast for mañana but they're still insisting on 72 rounds per gun in direct conflict with OC sheriff who has lowered the count to 20 per gun and asked instructors not to push excess training or requirements on students.

Such a racket this CCW business.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 05-23-2018 at 7:37 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Had a time set up with OC fast for mañana but they're still insisting on 72 rounds per gun in direct conflict with OC sheriff who has lowered the count to 20 per gun and asked instructors not to push excess training or requirements on students.

Such a racket this CCW business.
That’s bull chit. If they can’t comply with the requirements set forth by the county, they should lose their privileges. They can’t just make up their own rules.
Old 05-24-2018, 6:10 AM
CGN Contributor

Sure they can. They do now. They seemed concerned about putting out folks that can't shoot straight. I understand that.

The underlying lesson here is the sheriff has opened up the policies and the (some) instructors have not - chose accordingly.

I generally avoid businesses that are more burdensome on my gun rights than the government. Here is one perfect example of that. I am not going to say what they do is wrong, but I decided to go back to On Target. to my utter surprise the cost was half of what I was told when I started this thread. I think I just talked with someone who didn't have a clue the first time...

Last edited by bubbapug1; 05-24-2018 at 1:50 PM..