Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-27-2018, 6:13 PM

Default Traffic Stop in LA near Farmers Market

Howdy:

A friend riding his Indian Chief Classic and me my Harley Softail Classic rode from Orange to the Pantry Restaurant (http://www.pantrycafe.com/) near the Staple Center early this morning for breakfast. It took a bit of maneuvering to find the parking lot across the street due to street closures road work. After breakfast my friend gave me directions to the Farmers Market (https://www.farmersmarketla.com/visitorInfo) where I wanted to go.

From the 101 N. I wound up near Highland lost stopping in a Mobil Gas station (Premium $4.65) for directions! Traveling south on Highland which was a chore ie traffic - lights- pedestrians I finally viewed 3rd street where I was told to make a right. After the light turned green I enter the crosswalk looking quickly to my left/right while making the right turn. In less than a block I'm lit up by a LA patrol vehicle.

What the heck did I do to cause a stop? Kickstand down, ignition off, hands
on my handlebar grips. Officer says can I see your license, registration and insurance info? "Officer I don't know what I did to cause you to pull me over but before I remove my hands from my handlebar grips I have to inform you I have an OCSD valid CA CCW permit. My permit firearm is holstered in my waistband at my 1-2 o'clock position. The documents you requested are in my wallet in my waistband at the 11 o'clock position, how do you want me to proceed?

I think it took him a couple of seconds to react but asked me with my left hand to retrieve my wallet. I did this very very slowly (besides a long sleeve shirt I'm wearing, I have a sweatshirt on, a light jacket plus a HOG PATCH denim vest). One handed I accomplished this task!! I then asked him if I could remove my right hand from my handlebar to use to remove the documents form my wallet he requested including my OCSD CA valid CCW permit? He said yes and after looking at my documents he handed them back to me telling me I was in the crosswalk at Highland/Third with a pedestrian. Officer when I entered the crosswalk I did not notice any pedestrian else I would have not entered the crosswalk.

After a couple of minutes of discussing "said" infraction plus telling him I had breakfast at the Panty Restaurant and had to stop for directions to the Farmers Market. He handed my documents back to me and said keeping going on Third the way you are headed then make a right turn on Fairfax. The market will be on your right - have a nice day!! Thank you sir and be safe!

Tough Guy Levi
Irvine, CA
PS: Since 2005 this was the third time I've been stopped (OCSD CCW permit/carrying) while riding my Harley. No tickets issued - discussions 2 of the stops about permit weapons I was carrying at the time.
Old 05-27-2018, 6:30 PM

Cool. LAPD once gave me a jay walking ticket for crossing mid-block, on a CLOSED street, barricades at each end of the block.
Old 05-27-2018, 6:42 PM

Default Traffic Stop in LA near Farmers Market

Good reaction Tough Guy! Thanks for putting this out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fishing.

JMHO.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 05-27-2018, 7:34 PM

Love the Pantry! Always get 2 eggs with potatoes and sourdough toast.
Old 05-27-2018, 7:55 PM

Pantry for a great breakfast, lunch at Philppe's for a hot dip sandwich and then back to the Pantry for an awesome steak. Hmmhmm hmm, good! Those two establishments are the only reason I'll go to downtown LA.
Old 05-27-2018, 8:01 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Cops don't need a reason to stop you, they'll create one.

Glad it worked out well, good job on your end.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 05-27-2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Guy Levi View Post
...plus telling him I had breakfast at the Panty Restaurant....
Sounds like it might be a fun place to check out
Old 05-27-2018, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
Pantry for a great breakfast, lunch at Philppe's for a hot dip sandwich and then back to the Pantry for an awesome steak. Hmmhmm hmm, good! Those two establishments are the only reason I'll go to downtown LA.
Philppe's also has a good (I think better - less greasy) breakfast. Eastside Market has good sandwiches and a block south of Philppe's is the best taquito place in SoCal at the north end of Olvera St.
Old 05-28-2018, 7:15 AM

Phillippe's. Ah, another one of the few things I miss about California.
dc
Old 05-28-2018, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadchucker View Post
Sounds like it might be a fun place to check out
It maybe the most overrated famous place in all of Los Angeles. Among the most bland food I know of.
Old 05-28-2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
It maybe the most overrated famous place in all of Los Angeles. Among the most bland food I know of.
Who cares about the food? It's the "panty" part that piqued my curiosity!
Old 05-28-2018, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Fishing.

JMHO.
I agree. But since the OP took the time to type all that and I took the time to read it, I'll offer the obligatory "'Atta boy, OP!"

I probably would have just spoken normally to the officer, informed him that I was carrying with a CCW permit, and acted like carrying was the perfectly normal, legal activity that it is, but to each his own.

Old 05-30-2018, 1:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
While I agree with you on the Pantry for breakfast, Philippe's for lunch, I would have to go with Langers Deli for Dinner. Or in any order thereof.

Also nice story OP
Old 05-30-2018, 3:14 PM

Nice story OP. I'm glad no ticket was issued.
Old 05-30-2018, 4:38 PM
Veteran Member

You weren't stopped because a pedestrian was in the cross-walk. There may have been one, but you were stopped so the LEO could check you out. Since you were polite and came across as a good guy, and he knew it was a BS stop, he let you go with a warning when you never should have been stopped.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

I get the Portuguese sausage breakfast at the Pantry. Then lamb, pork, and beef triple dipped sandwiches with judicious application of mustard at Philippe's. Follow that up with delicious gumbo, fried oysters, and fried catfish at Little Jewel half a block up from there. Those are the only 3 reasons I go to DTLA.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:54 PM

I NEVER tell the cop that I'm carrying a firearm upfront, unless he'd see it when I reach for my wallet. Instead, I reach for my wallet, and then show him Driver License and CCW at the same time. That's plenty early for him to learn about the fact that I'm carrying, and at that time he sees that I'm doing so legally.

All this, I have a gun . . . makes me feel uncomfortable, and i would assume the same applies to a LEO who just pulled you over and knows nothing about you at all, other than you "presumably" broke the law.
Old 06-11-2018, 8:09 PM

Same here Brother, Ive decided to not verbally inform LE upfront, but rather hand over my ccw along with my license and other docs. That way they can visually see & read for themselves that I have a ccw. They will be able to mentally process that information first, then we can talk about it. So far Ive only presented it once during a DUI checkpoint, handed over all my docs including ccw, officer grabbed my license only, looked at it, asked if I was heading out or heading home, then handed it back. My ccw was in plain sight within inches of his hand the whole time, he didnt care. But then again ccws are common where I live.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 PM

a hog patch? hahahaha, i've seen it all now
Old 06-14-2018, 4:18 PM

I just attended a seminar at FT3 Tactical Range in Stanton a few weeks ago. During Q&A, it came up that there was only ONE incident last year in OC involving a ccw. The LE professionals that were there, spoke very highly about citizens that choose to ccw carry. They are among the most honest, friendly and sincere folks you will ever meet they replied. Most of the officers know and understand this was one of their comments. In regards to what to say during a stop, they thought handing over your info first was the best approach.