Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark19 View Post
I guess I’m a rare exception. I’ve ppt’d and bought about 10 guns at the Torrance store since they opened and I’ve had great customer service. I make sure to get there right at 10am and I’m usually done in about 30-45mins. Longer wait times is usually due to a buyer that’s not familiar with the process.

On a side note, quickest transaction I have ever had was at Proforce in Brea. I walked in at 0758 and was walking out with my gun at 0812. That’s purchase (10 day exempt) to out the door in 14 minutes and the employee was a cute girl to boot!!!
This was the second time I went to Turner's Signal Hill for a PPT'. The first time was probably in middle 2017 for a Vepr Pioneer. Like this time, seller was from OC so I suggested we meet at this store. Everything went fine and it was one of the quickest transactions I ever had at a Turners. That's why I went back for this transfer.

Unfortunately, this time, the manager/employee was misinformed so it turned to turd.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Yes it does. FFL's are not obligated to perform transfers which may seem illegal.

If the seller presents an LE ID (for whatever reason) that matches the "newly exempt class", it is reasonable to ask if the "unsafe" pistol was acquired using the new exemption. If the answer is "yes" the FFL cannot process the transfer without risk of being penalized by DOJ.

PC 32000(c)(1):

Notwithstanding Section 26825, a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of this section.

An FFL will not risk their license to process your transfer.
Again, not the case here. Not sure why you keep mentioning it when it played no part in what transpired.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
Not sure how you arrived at the above conclusion, but not the case.

Maybe because your OP and responses were extremely vague and at no point did you discount this possibility. This is just one example of the reasons why an FFL without turn away an off-roster PPT.

If your seller didn't fall into this category then there shouldn't be any reason to turn away the transfer due to the pistol being off-roster in itself (other than you two not officially submitted a written request for transfer in accordance with the law). Still, the sole "off-roster" denial without explanation isn't sufficient for that either.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Again, not the case here. Not sure why you keep mentioning it when it played no part in what transpired.

Exactly!

Within two questions that could’ve been figured out. If it wasn’t the case then the employee was clearly missed trained or untrained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post

The problem manager at Reseda is well known. Last I saw he was at Burbank guns. Never bought a thing after I saw he was there.
Totally remember that douche from B&B days. I saw him at Reseda Turners and left immediately. When I saw him at Burbank Guns I just wondered WTF . As long as that guy works there I will never return, sad because it’s a decent store.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Totally remember that douche from B&B days. I saw him at Reseda Turners and left immediately. When I saw him at Burbank Guns I just wondered WTF . As long as that guy works there I will never return, sad because it’s a decent store.
I call him the turd. I think he was also known for working at Oak Tree. Small Hispanic man. Around 2006 he had a tantrum because he tried to sell a gun to one of his buddies on the phone that I was at door at 10am to buy and I told them I would be taking it up with the higher ups at Turner's if he did that.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneTurnersGuy View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I thought the others who chimed it explained it. There are certain individuals who are exempt from the roster yet are not able to then sell an off roster firearm to non-exempt parties. So if an individual doing a PPT on an off roster firearm divulges that information that they are one of those exempt individuals, then it does affect that sale if the buyer is not an exempt individual as well.
You can add even more unnecessary paperwork if it makes you feel better and have sellers sign a statement that they are not one of the 2nd tier cops reselling an off roster handgun they acquired with their exemption. I know another store that does this.
Old 09-21-2018, 5:32 PM

Awesome that Turners is even replying to this thread. That makes me want to visit the new store in Fresno. I have never even stepped foot in a Turners before, having lived in the central valley.
Old 09-21-2018, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsenpai View Post
Awesome that Turners is even replying to this thread. That makes me want to visit the new store in Fresno. I have never even stepped foot in a Turners before, having lived in the central valley.
They abandoned their subforum here for a time but I applaud their effort to reach out nowadays.
Old 09-21-2018, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

What position in the company is the person in this thread? Salesman....manager....corporate?

Old 09-22-2018, 4:15 AM

Hmm well I can personally only speak for the Turner's Torrance store which is the only Turner's I've ever been in, and also the closest gun store to my house, but I actually have had no problems in the many times I've gone. Well, except that tiny excuse for a parking lot that's always full, but that's not really their fault. I actually am picking up a rifle sometime this weekend from them.

I also know for a fact that they do process off-roster PPTs and actually about a few months ago I actually ran into someone from my local range processing a Gen 5 Glock. I know that he got it for sure because he showed it to me next time I ran into him at the range. So it's definitely not corporate policy, but TOTG has already said that.

I don't know what happened in the OP's instance but it sounds like either a misunderstanding or a simple mistake, one that I think Turner's should take care of, and probably make amends for, but also one that I'd bet is more exception than rule.
Old 09-24-2018, 7:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
We're here for the customers in whichever way they want to reach out. Thanks for the kind words hopefully we can get a little bit close to you and you'll give us a shot.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill | Temecula
| Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas | Sacramento | Fresno | Modesto | Roseville | Stockton | Santa Clarita | Fresno |Bakersfield| West Bakersfield | Palm Desert | Tucson|

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-24-2018, 8:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
What position in the company is the person in this thread? Salesman....manager....corporate?

At one time all of the above. I am currently working out of the main office doing what I can to make sure these customer concerns and issues get brought to the attention of the right people.

| Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas | Sacramento | Fresno | Modesto | Roseville | Stockton | Santa Clarita | Fresno |Bakersfield| West Bakersfield | Palm Desert | Tucson|

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-24-2018, 9:04 AM

Quote:
At one time all of the above. I am currently working out of the main office doing what I can to make sure these customer concerns and issues get brought to the attention of the right people.
Well you are certainly in the right place to see unfiltered complaints about turners. In my opinion most of the complaints are generated by a few employees here and there that have a grumpy, holier than thou, know it all attitude. Every gun shop has them at some point. Looks like you are trying to weed them out. Personally, I've never had any issues and still shop at turners.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default FYI Turner's won't process off-roster PPT

Quote:

Good. I do hope they get it fixed.

Last edited by Yodaman; 09-24-2018 at 8:11 PM..
Old 09-24-2018, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not sure if this is old news, but just found out Turner's won't process off-roster PPT transactions.
I've done them there all the time.. hell, just did a IWI Jerico there a month ago.

This might have to do with the LEO cop that was illegally selling all of the off roster stuff and was busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 09-24-2018, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
I've done them there all the time.. hell, just did a IWI Jerico there a month ago.

This might have to do with the LEO cop that was illegally selling all of the off roster stuff and was busted.

That’s like saying because the hamburgalar was stealing burgers from McDonald’s, now everybody goes through a tighter process when buying a happy meal. 🤪

But in all seriousness, I doubt it it’s poor education, training, customer service and hiring practices.

Minus anybody who can’t transfer a PPT, as mentioned before, this was not the case here
Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 PM

Stopped by the Oxnard location for a private party transfer, and told Turner's Corporate will not transfer Handgun Frames, (long gun frames okay).
Old 10-12-2018, 6:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt11 View Post
Stopped by the Oxnard location for a private party transfer, and told Turner's Corporate will not transfer Handgun Frames, (long gun frames okay).
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I assure you we handle pistol frame on a regular basis. If you could give me some more information about the transaction or DM me I would appreciate it so we can pass this along to ensure we are all on the same page.

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 10-12-2018, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Turners serves a purpose, remember you dont have to shop there
^This...

I think Turners is great for newbs who want to buy a Glock. Unfortunately for Turners, many on this board have found other stores who can service them better. Perhaps the new customers they interact with will be the recipients of some change, that is learned from discussions on this board? I do applaud Turners for the effort here, but it’s likely not enough for me to shop there again.

They had a sale on a CZ PCR a couple weeks ago, that almost got me back... But, I remembered that weird game they play with sending people back and forth from the gun counter to the cashier, and the long lines during that process. Somewhere in that weird game, there’s a BS $5 fee...

Obviously some here are ok with it... it’s just not for me....

I was able to ppt an LCP there awhile ago, couldn’t talk the seller out of doing it there. It went ok, except it took forever...

Last edited by Oldmandan; 10-12-2018 at 4:26 PM..