Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-05-2013, 2:57 PM

Is anyone available to critique my good cause statement?
Old 02-06-2013, 4:07 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol9999 View Post
Is anyone available to critique my good cause statement?
I am in no way an expert on the system, but my good cause statement worked for me. I would be happy to read yours, if you like. Pm me
Mark 16:16
Old 02-06-2013, 6:56 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The state standard application is all that can be required.

Just an FYI that CGF is working on San Bernardino. Standby for more.

-Brandon
????????

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:39 PM

Well had my interview on the 6th, I must say I am impressed with the entire process and especially the people at SBSD. Now the tough part, waiting.
Old 02-14-2013, 6:47 PM

Thanks for your service cpljbone!

First, you can call the number on the first page of the packet, it's been my experience so far that I've had my questions answered.

For #3, I was told basically, fill out all sections, just don't sign or date any of it till your appointment.

For #4, I would suggest to review some of the GC by counties as example of "how much" to put, your reason's are your own, so can't advise there.

Also, I was told letters of reference and the 4 person's are no longer required as of a few days ago.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

1. It's only a formality. SBCO knows that cities do not issue.

2. Proof of residence is your rental agreement if you rent or property tax paperwork if you own. A DD214 is not enough as it shows your HOR which is no guarantee of a current residence.

3. I do not recall the sections 6, 7 an 8 as I have no app in front of me, but my advice is to not leave anything blank. If it does not apply put N/A, none, 0, or other appropriate entry. A blank space can be seen as something skipped. Just like in the military, you can even add /////NOTHING FOLLOWS//// to account for no further entries.

4. You need more than you did two years ago. It's getting tougher out there. I will PM you.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostworks Arms View Post

Also, I was told letters of reference and the 4 person's are no longer required as of a few days ago.

That would be awesome and great news towards streamlining the process. I got a call mid Jan and have an appointment mid April they stated the letters of reference can be no older the 60 days old on the date of the interview.

Kind of a hassle because all my letters are dated in January 2013 and now I have to ask my friends to redo it all over.

Can anyone else confirm the reference letters going away?
Old 02-15-2013, 7:19 PM

I just had my interview and indeed they told me not to fill the 4 references and no need for the 3 character letters.
Old 02-15-2013, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just had my interview and indeed they told me not to fill the 4 references and no need for the 3 character letters.
great news!
Old 02-15-2013, 7:33 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostworks Arms View Post

Quote:
related?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The state standard application is all that can be required.

Just an FYI that CGF is working on San Bernardino. Standby for more.

-Brandon

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-15-2013, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is awesome! Those 4 references and 3 character letter made it difficult for many trying to get a CCW. Are they still visiting your neighbors and telling everyone your getting a CCW?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljbone View Post
I can confirm I got the same information too. They said don't need to get letters or put anyone down for references. I'm assuming that the employment history and address history section still need to be filled out as normal, although that's not apart of the standard application.
I wonder what they are looking for in the employment history? Will where you worked before and your job title/duty affect your CCW qualification?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM

I just finished reading this 12 page thread and am motivated to apply for my LTC. I have a few questions :

1. My driver's license indicates that I live in Riverside County but I've lived in San Berdoo County for years now. I have filed the change of address form but DMV doesn't issue a new license simply because you change your address. Question: Do I need a new license with my current address or can I use the old one considering DMV has my current address on file?

2. I was convicted of DUI over .08 over 8 years ago. Other associated charges were dismissed. Will this DUI have an effect on my ability to obtain my permit? Are dismissed charges considered? Should I attempt to expunge this conviction before applying?

3. I have seen accounts of acceptable GC that vary from Personal Protection (Self Defense) to fearing great bodily injury or death due to working in high risk occupations. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks and Semper Fi!
Branden
Old 02-19-2013, 4:12 PM

Default Range Class

Got the call today, range class on March 2nd for my wife and I at Apple Valley Gun Club!!!

I want to thank all of the pioneers here that gave me the info that I needed to go through with this. I had to do the 4 references and 3 letters but I am thrilled that things are going our way on getting the county to comply with state law.

If anyone else is going, let me know.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan4610 View Post
Got the call today, range class on March 2nd for my wife and I at Apple Valley Gun Club!!!

I want to thank all of the pioneers here that gave me the info that I needed to go through with this. I had to do the 4 references and 3 letters but I am thrilled that things are going our way on getting the county to comply with state law.

If anyone else is going, let me know.
When did you have your interview?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden.w View Post
I just finished reading this 12 page thread and am motivated to apply for my LTC. I have a few questions :

1. My driver's license indicates that I live in Riverside County but I've lived in San Berdoo County for years now. I have filed the change of address form but DMV doesn't issue a new license simply because you change your address. Question: Do I need a new license with my current address or can I use the old one considering DMV has my current address on file?

2. I was convicted of DUI over .08 over 8 years ago. Other associated charges were dismissed. Will this DUI have an effect on my ability to obtain my permit? Are dismissed charges considered? Should I attempt to expunge this conviction before applying?

3. I have seen accounts of acceptable GC that vary from Personal Protection (Self Defense) to fearing great bodily injury or death due to working in high risk occupations. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks and Semper Fi!
Branden
On #1, you will need a license with your current SB county address on it before they will issue the ltc. May as well get it done now to avoid delays.

Can't help you with #2, but on #3 go with what you have seen. Good luck!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 1:01 PM

Ok. Just gone done reading through the 12 pages, and I started the process yesterday by visiting my local PD. I have the following questions thus far.

1.I visited my PD (Upland) to inquire about CCW policy & application. Got sent up the chief’s Secretary who gave me an application and told me to call for an interview when complete. I see conflicting info on this thread – will I ever need the denial letter from my PD? I understand that it is illegal for SBCS to require it, I just want to know if I have to jump through the PD hoops, pay $ if it’s not actually needed. I’m planning on jetting over to SBCS office with the wife in the next week.

2.Are the SB country apps available for pickup on the weekend?

3.I rent month to month. I have been at the same unit for 3 years, 8 months. Do I need to get some kind of 6 month lease from the landlord?

4.GC statement. It sounds like “personal defense” is not cutting it anymore. Any recent applicants that can attest to that? Also, I’ve read SB will not issue for work. Does this mean if I travel to various locations, including rough areas at off hours for work, that I should not use that as part of my GC?

Thanks for the info thus far, looking forward to the process…well the hopeful end results anyway!
Old 02-20-2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
When did you have your interview?
September 25th.
I ran into a small issue with my second residence as listed in this forum, but only waited an additional month. My wife who applied on the same date, interview on the same date was approved in mid January.
Old 02-20-2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini14 View Post
Ok. Just gone done reading through the 12 pages, and I started the process yesterday by visiting my local PD. I have the following questions thus far.

1.I visited my PD (Upland) to inquire about CCW policy & application. Got sent up the chief’s Secretary who gave me an application and told me to call for an interview when complete. I see conflicting info on this thread – will I ever need the denial letter from my PD? I understand that it is illegal for SBCS to require it, I just want to know if I have to jump through the PD hoops, pay $ if it’s not actually needed. I’m planning on jetting over to SBCS office with the wife in the next week.

2.Are the SB country apps available for pickup on the weekend?

3.I rent month to month. I have been at the same unit for 3 years, 8 months. Do I need to get some kind of 6 month lease from the landlord?

4.GC statement. It sounds like “personal defense” is not cutting it anymore. Any recent applicants that can attest to that? Also, I’ve read SB will not issue for work. Does this mean if I travel to various locations, including rough areas at off hours for work, that I should not use that as part of my GC?

Thanks for the info thus far, looking forward to the process…well the hopeful end results anyway!
Number 3 - I had a similar issue with the month to month on rent, at one point they told me that I "needed" a current rental agreement with at least 6 months remaining on it. I ended up getting a notarized letter from my landlord stating that i've been at the location for several years and am currently on a "open ended lease". Thats what worked for me, but it was also a second residence in San Bernardino Co, not my primary.
They may require a year if its your primary.
Old 02-20-2013, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder what they are looking for in the employment history? Will where you worked before and your job title/duty affect your CCW qualification? How accurate does the dates have to be?
Old 02-20-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini14 View Post

Where are you getting this info. I have my LTC and will have to renew in a few months. Last renewal Personal Protection was ok.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:45 AM

Newbie to the CCW world, and I didn't know where to start on this thread to get the most updated information that I would need. So, my apology in advance for my already answered dumb questions.

I'm moving out to the unincorporated part of Victorville in March in a rental and plan on going to the Sheriff to apply for my CCW, what do I need to bring with me?

Anyone can tell me the steps I'll need to go through? It sounds like the SB Sheriff is friendly to issuing CCW, right?

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM

Talking San Bernardino vs. Riverside Counties for CCW?

San Bernardino vs. Riverside Counties for CCW? Which one is more friendly/easier?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Newbie to the CCW world, and I didn't know where to start on this thread to get the most updated information that I would need. So, my apology in advance for my already answered dumb questions.

I'm moving out to the unincorporated part of Victorville in March in a rental and plan on going to the Sheriff to apply for my CCW, what do I need to bring with me?

Anyone can tell me the steps I'll need to go through? It sounds like the SB Sheriff is friendly to issuing CCW, right?
Hi zombiescanlearn! The first step is going to the Sheriff's office in San Bernardino and picking up an application. You will need your driver's license and the first question they'll ask is whether you have been a resident of SB county for 1 year. Next is filling out the application and calling for an interview date. After the interview comes the background check. Following that is the safety class and then issuance of the LTC. There are details to every step, and some may have changed since I went through. The process will take a bit of time, but it's worth it! The people at SBSD are very friendly and helpful, so make sure to be kind in return. Feel free to ask questions all the way through, that's how I was able to confidently go through the process. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-22-2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Hi zombiescanlearn! The first step is going to the Sheriff's office in San Bernardino and picking up an application. You will need your driver's license and the first question they'll ask is whether you have been a resident of SB county for 1 year. Next is filling out the application and calling for an interview date. After the interview comes the background check. Following that is the safety class and then issuance of the LTC. There are details to every step, and some may have changed since I went through. The process will take a bit of time, but it's worth it! The people at SBSD are very friendly and helpful, so make sure to be kind in return. Feel free to ask questions all the way through, that's how I was able to confidently go through the process. Best of luck to you!
Is there a time requirement in SB? I will just moving there in March so, no, I have not been a resident there for a year. Will that disqualify me?

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Is there a time requirement in SB? I will just moving there in March so, no, I have not been a resident there for a year. Will that disqualify me?
I would call them and ask, 909-387-3750. There used to be a 1 year residency requirement. But I also hear that it is taking up to a year to go through the entire process, so maybe they will take that in to account?
Old 02-22-2013, 8:37 PM

I got my permit in the mail yesterday. I can't tell you how greatful I am for all that you guys helped me with. If it wasn't for calguns, I would not even attempted to go through the process. Now my wife has an interview in June.

Last edited by Mr_Monkeywrench; 02-24-2013 at 1:24 AM..
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
retired Goon

Default unconfirmed reports...

From other forums...
The new San Bernardino County Sheriff, John McMahon, has changed the issuance policy and no longer accepts "personal protection/self-defense" as a reasonable good cause for issuance. Need to articulate something more than just a simply self-defense statement.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-01-2013, 5:55 PM
Banned

Default San Berdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
From other forums...
The new San Bernardino County Sheriff, John McMahon, has changed the issuance policy and no longer accepts "personal protection/self-defense" as a reasonable good cause for issuance. Need to articulate something more than just a simply self-defense statement.
This is not entirely accurate. They will no longer let you simply write two words, (personal protection) as your good cause. They want you to round that out with some language explaining what that means to you.

Nevertheless, their threshold for issuance remains the same, which is in fact stating that you want to carry for personal protection.

Simply put, they want you to write more than just two words, but still approve virtually everyone who is not legally prohibited.

More importantly, our new Sheriff has streamlined the process and is moving people through in droves!!!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 AM

Ive got a question. I now have a coworker pursuing his LTC, but he lives in Montclair. He has to get a letter of denial from the PD before he gets to submit the app with the sheriff. They have been giving him the runaround for the past 3 weeks. They said they do not give letters of denial and referred him to the CADOJ. He cant move further in the process until he gets the letter.

What recourse does he have? Is there anything he can do at this point in order to get a letter of denial? Essentially, they are denying him a letter of denial. Ironic.
Old 03-14-2013, 5:32 AM
CGSSA Associate

From DOJ website:

"If you live within a jurisdiction of a city Police Department, you may apply to the county Sheriff's Office for a CCW license. However, only residents of a city may apply to a city's Police Department for a CCW license."

You do not need to apply to PD first.
Old 03-14-2013, 6:54 AM

I had my interview yesterday. Everything was going great up until they asked me for the copy of my naturalization papers I had the copy but then they asked if I had the original on me... Nowhere on the application does it say to bring originals. My appointment was postponed. But all in all it was. Good experience all the people involved were great.
Old 03-14-2013, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Ask why you need to be a US citizen.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM

I have my interview next week...we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmir02 View Post
I have my interview next week...we'll see how it goes.
Good luck. Keep up posted. Mine is in May.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM
CGSSA Associate

07/11 appointment for me. I also got confirmation that reference letters are no longer a requirement.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM

Can anyone confirm about the 4 references and the additional questionaire at interview time?
Old 03-20-2013, 1:04 PM
CGSSA Community Leader I.E.

4 references are no longer needed and the additional questionaire is a check off yes/no sheet
Old 03-20-2013, 2:35 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljbone View Post
8A.M. also?
9am

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Anyone know the current Interview/livescan -> range date time frame?

I'm at 6 weeks of waiting for a call...