Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 AM

"Despite last week's fanfare, any Senate vote on concealed carry is not expected until next spring, sources said Monday."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ate-fight.html
Old 12-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit31 View Post
"Despite last week's fanfare, any Senate vote on concealed carry is not expected until next spring, sources said Monday."

Cornyn wants to split off NICSfix from the reciprocity bill, which to my mind is the only leverage there is to get some democrats to vote for it. OBVIOUSLY there is bipartisan support for NICSfix--it is something the democrats want. So we should get back something in return. But splitting them allows the dems to get what they want and then pile on to defeat reciprocity. Plus delaying any vote until spring sounds like a way to sweep it under the rug. Sadly, I am not optimistic.
Old 12-13-2017, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Cornyn wants to split off NICSfix from the reciprocity bill, which to my mind is the only leverage there is to get some democrats to vote for it. OBVIOUSLY there is bipartisan support for NICSfix--it is something the democrats want. So we should get back something in return. But splitting them allows the dems to get what they want and then pile on to defeat reciprocity. Plus delaying any vote until spring sounds like a way to sweep it under the rug. Sadly, I am not optimistic.
Which is EXACLY why they merged them together..in which by the way was a very smart move. The members of calguns have been saying time and time again that repicosity would not pass as a stand alone bill, that it would have to be attached to a bill the dems really want. WELL....HERE IT IS!!!!! They know it and they`re pissed off. Cornyn is raging against it because his bill didn`t get any support and this one did..in other words his pompous *** is not in the limelight. The NRA supports the merge. The dems are between a rock and a hard place right now. They can`t have thier cake and eat it too. This is the true test and people on calguns need to support the merge of the two bills. Also I`ve read the bill...This merge needed to be done.

Last edited by stag6.8; 12-13-2017 at 7:35 AM..
Old 12-13-2017, 9:07 AM

Quote:

But how would that make any sense, since it would be a new legislative year and the momentum from the passage of the house bill would be gone. AND, the house would have to pass the bill again.

Or am I missing something?

-Cee
Old 12-13-2017, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Yeah, I dont get splitting them off at all as the NICS is an alternative reason for voting yes on the bill.

Odd.
Old 12-13-2017, 9:22 AM

Each US Congress is TWO years; the current 115th Congress is in session until Jan 2019. There are no bill deadlines associated with the end of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedubG View Post
But how would that make any sense, since it would be a new legislative year and the momentum from the passage of the house bill would be gone. AND, the house would have to pass the bill again.

-Cee
Old 12-13-2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Each US Congress is TWO years; the current 115th Congress is in session until Jan 2019. There are no bill deadlines associated with the end of this year.
Ahhhhh guess I was missing something Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 1:20 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedubG View Post

-Cee
Congress does 2-year sessions, in this case Jan 3, 2017 through Jan 3, 2019; other than the end of session, Congress has no legislative deadlines.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-13-2017, 1:25 PM

Updated the vote prediction spreadsheet. We'll be lucky to get 57 votes.

I don't expect Jones will go for this. The Dems don't expect him to win in 2020, so they'll sacrifice him and have him go hard-left. Especially on gun bills.

Focus on 2018. VOTE IN YOUR PRIMARIES. Carefully select pro-gun Republicans who can actually win elections, please.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
SAF Committee of One Thousand
Old 12-13-2017, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post
Updated the vote prediction spreadsheet. We'll be lucky to get 57 votes.

I don't expect Jones will go for this. The Dems don't expect him to win in 2020, so they'll sacrifice him and have him go hard-left. Especially on gun bills.

Focus on 2018. VOTE IN YOUR PRIMARIES. Carefully select pro-gun Republicans who can actually win elections, please.
Excellent sheet. My own guess is 55, 2 wavering, and 58 max. This is just not going to happen UNLESS we throw the Dems a bone. DACA maybe. Since the vast majority of Americans believe in fixing it anyway. Quid pro quo.
Old 12-13-2017, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

California's gun owners seems to vote anti gun.