Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Exclamation CALGUNS-CGSSA "Emergency Action": Call, Email and Attend Glendale City Council

CALGUNS-Sports Shooting Association:
"Emergency Action": Call, Email and Attend Stand Up Against the Glendale City Council for considering an ordinance that would ban gun sales at the venue in which the Glendale Gun Show is held, effectively banning the gun show

Today is the City Council Meeting

Email and Call: Start today at 1pm, start Calling and email and dont stop until the End of Business today and RESTART Tuesday morning and continue all day long.

Contact Information
City Council
613 E. Broadway, Room 200
Glendale, CA 91206

Use the “Contact Your City Council Via Email” use this link

Then use the NRA Members Council “One Click” use this link

Attend: Attend the Glendale City Council meeting which starts at 6pm on Tuesday, Jan 15th 2013.
City Hall Bldg
613 E. Broadway
Glendale, CA 91206
(818) 548-2090
Google Map

Come in business casual, I will be there in my CALGUNS Polo, CYA there!

Information: In wake of Newtown shooting, Glendale City Council may hear proposal to ban gun shows proposed by Rafi Manoukian Glendale City Council.

“It’s always been on my mind,” Council person Manoukian said after a meeting at City Hall Tuesday. “At this point we have to take a step.”
With Mayor Frank Quintero in his corner, he has the backing to put the issue on the City Council agenda

REASONS WHY BANNING THE GLENDALE GUN SHOW IS A BAD IDEA
1. The Glendale Gun Show is already heavily regulated. All federal, state, and local laws must be adhered to at the gun show, which means firearms are not generally transferred on the property the day of the show. People select a firearm, fill out the paperwork, and then go pick the firearm up at ANOTHER location from a licensed dealer 10 days later, after they have passed a background check.
2. The Gun Show brings in significant revenue to the City, over $54,000 directly (and who knows how much indirectly from restaurants, gas stations, etc.) in 2012.
3. An ordinance banning the gun show is a solution in search of a problem, based on emotion. There appear to be zero instances of crimes or accidents with firearms at or around the gun show in its decade’s long history.
4. Alameda County banned gun shows on its property and was sued for violation of the First and Second Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, as well as the Equal Protection Clause. Thirteen years and hundreds of thousands of dollars later the case remains unresolved, with the County ultimately interpreting its ordinance to allow gun shows on its property and plaintiffs asking the U.S. Supreme Court to confirm they are entitled to attorneys’ fees in excess of $1 million. See Nordyke v. Alameda County. The City will almost certainly be sued in a similar case.
5. What exactly will banning the gun show achieve for Glendale other than deprive the City of the significant revenue it takes in from the show and invite a costly lawsuit like Nordyke, which could result in the City paying the plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees on top of its losses?
6. Banning the gun show was proposed in 2006 and was rejected. It was a bad idea then and it is a bad idea now.
7. It is offensive that some members of the City Council would admittedly exploit the tragic murder of innocents in Connecticut as a pretext to resurrect a political plan they have obviously wanted to employ for several years.
8. Any emotionally-based action, by an elected or appointed public official, is a bad idea if it does not also have a basis in fiscal and social responsibility. The loss of the steady stream of revenue, resulting from the gun show, is bad enough. But eliminating a highly regulated venue that requires that only lawful firearms transactions can occur is socially negligent.
9. The promoter of the Glendale Gun Show has a contract with the city and has had one for quite some time, and the city of Glendale would be in breach by taking any action that would prohibit the promoter from hosting his show.

Related Post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=670970
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=610510
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=660036
agenda
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/new...,5920662.story
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/opi...,6825364.story

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Last edited by pennys dad; 01-15-2013 at 6:33 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Email sent
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

sent and calling

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor

I contacted all the council members and make sure you do to.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

I just called.. talked to Miriam .. left my opinion and name.. only has one vote needs a second to be placed on next weeks agenda.
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:11 PM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Email sent. I wish I could be there in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 01-14-2013, 3:07 PM

Just sent out emails. I hope it helps.
Old 01-14-2013, 3:26 PM

Emails sent
Old 01-14-2013, 5:17 PM

As a former City of Glendale employee, I can tell you the city is BROKE *** so I'm a little surprised they would turn down any revenue, lol. When I bounced last year, says something when CoG HR even said, "You're leaving at a good time..."
Old 01-14-2013, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

Sent email. Hope to be in Glendale on time.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 01-14-2013, 5:42 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

See you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 01-14-2013, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Confirmed as received by city council, and received a compliment by one of the members.

Subject: The Glendale Gun Show
To: manoukiancouncil@gmail.com
Cc: anajarian@ci.glendale.ca.us, lfriedman@ci.glendale.ca.us, dweaver@ci.glendale.ca.us, fquintero@ci.glendale.ca.us, rdepompa@ci.glendale.ca.us

Mister Manoukian and Mister De Pompa,

I arrived in Glendale, CA in 1982. While I was born in the US, I was raised abroad in a number of different countries, returning to the US never having spoken English.

I attended Roosevelt Junior High School, Glendale High School, and Glendale College. I ran cross country in virtually every school I attended in Glendale. Like you, I had thoughts of joining the Air Force after drilling with the Civil Air Patrol at the National Guard Armory, instead joining the US Marine Corps from the Glendale Recruiting Center. I left for Officer's Candidate School from Glendale to see the world again.

I am a veteran of Desert Shield / Desert Storm.

I am disappointed and surprised that a city as progressive and diversified as Glendale is considering the banning of gun sales at the Civic Auditorium.

Mr. Manoukian, one would think that given your background having served in the Air Force, you would understand the importance of citizens being able to purchase firearms for self defense and all lawful uses. Given your Armenian heritage, I'd like to call attention to the Armenian Genocide: In January of 1915, Armenians were disarmed by the Young Turks as you well know, resulting in hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths carried out under the guise of disarmament, public safety and crime prevention.

Having the City of Glendale, one of the last great bastions of conservatism and quality life in Los Angeles County, buy into any scheme to enable, perpetuate, or enhance any manner of gun control or restriction or their purchase is un-American and irresponsible. If the conclusion of the Nordyke Case in Northern California is any indication, it is also costly to the city and unwise to break the kind of contract that you maintain with the show's promoters simply to pander to gain political favor of constituents.

As Mister Najarian has stated previously, prohibiting gun sales is nothing more than a superficial fix.

If you truly want to reduce crime and enable gun control, you would be best served by working with Chief de Pompa to radically increase the number of citizens who go through a background check to obtain Concealed Carry permits, rather than providing a blanket denial and typically passing the buck on Conceal Carry Permits to the Sheriff of the County of Los Angeles..

In the case "Warren vs. District of Columbia", the appeals court held that the Police have no duty to provide police services to individuals, leaving the ladies to be raped, tortured, beaten and robbed for 14 hours. In "Castle Rock vs. Gonzales", even with a court restraining order in place, the Supreme Court held that the police have no obligation to provide police services - Ms Gonzales still ended up with 3 dead daughters even though she notified the Police that her ex husband intended harm. How then can citizens defend themselves? Chief de Pompa cannot have his officers be everywhere at all times to prevent crime, and even if they were, the Supreme Court has stated time and again that they're not obligated to defend them. What would Chief de Pompa say to his daughters Lainey, Alyssa or Dena if an intruder was to try to break into their home to wish them harm? Don't buy a gun (in Glendale we banned their sale in the City), call the cops and wait for them to get there?

Why continue to restrict a citizen's ability to defend themselves either by refusing to license a citizen to carry a firearm for self protection or worse, by preventing them even from purchasing firearms at the Gun Show? One need only look at the Sandy Hook incident, or the Aurora Colorado shootings to readily see that "Gun Free Zones" such as schools are effectively "victim rich zones" where criminals are free to commit mass murder unopposed given the type of legislation that governments frequently indulge in. If they work, why not turn the City Hall, Police Headquarters, the Courts, and other locations into "Gun Free" zones? If legislation is, in fact, that effective, that should work, no? Why not remove metal detectors from the city buildings and council chambers? You don't need Police Officers with guns to protect you, do you? Neither do the judges in their chambers, right?

Why do legislators continue to infringe upon a citizen's ability to defend themselves, all while enjoying police protection?

No good deed goes unpunished. We always begin these conversations by talking about "reasonable measures" to prevent crime and protect the children, and "reasonable" as they sound, the result is always to restrict law abiding citizens from owning or carrying firearms, or criminalizing otherwise legal behavior on the part of gun owners.

Criminals simply don't care.

You can't purchase a gun in the State of California, and specifically in Glendale, without running an instant background check on every buyer and having them wait ten days to get their firearm. There is NO GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE in Glendale. What would banning Gun Sales accomplish?

How may crimes have been committed during the Gun Show in Glendale resulting in firearms being discharged? Can you name one? three?

How many votes does it garner you? Are you of the belief that somehow the majority of your voters will think you're doing a good thing? My opinion is that restricting sales in Glendale is socially reckless.

I will say this again: as a descendant of an Armenian family, Mister Manoukian, you shame the memories of all those who died at the hands of criminals during the genocide under the auspices of "Safety" and "Gun Control" by suggesting bad policy and regulations limiting access to guns by citizens.. Please consider focusing your efforts on new city regulations that are actually positive for the citizens of Glendale, and not items that further marginalize their safety.

Sincerely,

Mister Globetrotter

Last edited by glbtrottr; 01-14-2013 at 5:56 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 7:29 PM

Default Parking?

See y'all tomorrow! Anybody know the parking situation there? TIA for any info.
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 01-15-2013, 6:36 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAReact View Post
See y'all tomorrow! Anybody know the parking situation there? TIA for any info.
I am told parking is not to good.
I will be there early

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Just sent another email, about 2 call again...
CRPA Life Member
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Plenty of free parking

Park in the "Civic Center Vistors Parking" at 620 Wilson, and it's big and FREE!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Sent my emails. Pasted here for re-use or ideas for others letters:
Dear Council Member,

I am a resident of neighboring Eagle Rock, and a former resident of Glendale for ten years. I have been going to the Glendale Gun Show with my family since I was first taken there by my father when I was a child.

I have now learned that certain individuals are attempting to use the tragedy in Connecticut to justify closing down the Gun Show. They point out that the Gun Show is held next to a church, and that it is near the community college. They talk about crimes and shootings that might occur.

What they do NOT do, is point to any facts or analysis that would back up their claims. The fact that the venue is near a school and a church is completely irrelevant. There has never been a SINGLE incident of violence at this, or any other, gun show in California. The idea that Gun Shows are hotbeds of violence is completely made up. It is a figment of the imagination of people who have a. never been to a gun show, and b. are most likely not even gun owners.

The Gun Show is heavily regulated, and heavily patrolled by armed security as well as police. The laws already in place prevent the sale of handguns or other concealable weapons without a ten day wait. In fact, most of the purchases made at the Shows require the buyer to return at a alter date to pick up the firearm. Furthermore, there is not anything sold there that cannot be purchased elsewhere. So clearly, the Gun Show is not some powder keg ready to explode.

What the gun show is, however, is a venue for lawful gun owners and those who support their rights to gather and discuss their passion. It is a place where 2nd amendment rights groups can solicit new members. It is a place where vendors can introduce new products, and find new buyers. And finally, it is a place where a father can take a son (or a mother can take a daughter for that matter!) to have a fun afternoon, look at some neat hardware and grab a hotdog.

There is nothing sinister about the Gun Show. There is no hidden agenda, no powder keg. It is simply a show where goods are displayed. There is as much violence or potential for violence at a car show, or a home goods show.

Please consider the facts before voting on this proposal. Do not be swayed by emotional calls to "do something". There is much that can be done to prevent violence in our society. Closing down a significant source of revenue for the city, and depriving families of one more place to go spend an afternoon in a safe environment should not even be on the table in a discussion of violence prevention.

Thank you.

Last edited by jrr; 01-15-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 3:36 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Great e-mails !! I took a half day from work to make it to the meeting. Kind of nervous as I have never have done anything like this before, but if we don't fight for our rights who will?

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 01-15-2013, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Just got here. Not too packed.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 4:53 PM

Main room almost full now -looks like we have a good turnout. Overflow will be downstairs and will have to watch by CCTV. Maybe 6 seats left...
CRPA Life Member
Old 01-15-2013, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Someone just tried to come in with a Gadsen flag but was removed. And they pushed it back.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Massive people left. Damn council.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 5:36 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Pushed to next week. we need go continue our email, call and fax drive all week and into next week. Mayor Quintero tried to state that it was the NRAs fault we all showed up tonight. They will only allow a 5 minute oral communication period today.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully they schedule in the evening again so I can make it.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 6:24 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

We will need speakers
Old 01-15-2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennys dad View Post
Pushed to next week. we need go continue our email, call and fax drive all week and into next week. Mayor Quintero tried to state that it was the NRAs fault we all showed up tonight. They will only allow a 5 minute oral communication period today.
Hahaha guess they know not of Calguns lets see if we can make a bigger showing next week! I'll try and leave work early to make it!
Old 01-15-2013, 7:36 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennys dad View Post
We will need speakers
I was really nervous and lost some of my speaking points, probably not a good idea for me to try again. There were some really good speakers though, many LE and ex-MIL.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.

Old 01-15-2013, 7:38 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

For the next meeting we should have some way to identify each other.
I was standing next to the Gadsen Flag guy when he came in and the CH 9 news cameras were on him.

MF: the Council decided to hear from some attendees after many of us left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.

Last edited by ojisan; 01-15-2013 at 7:40 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 8:03 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
I was standing next to the Gadsen Flag guy when he came in and the CH 9 news cameras were on him.

Yes. After the entire council agenda was done, they allowed open mike so to speak.

GGS promotor spoke, as well as Paul from the NRA. There where some Califronia Miitia recruiters who are outside the GGS and they did very well.

First guy for our side was an *** unfortunately, came off as wacko.

Old 01-15-2013, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Here's the best way: http://www.fibers.com/shop/gun-right...ights+t-shirts

Old 01-15-2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Next week I will plan on bringing some lapel stickers that we can all wear.

Thanks for the turnout and special thanks to everyone who stayed to lend support to our cause.

Paul

H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
NRA Members' Councils Program Administrator
(951) 683-4NRA Office nrausmc@earthlink.net Email
http://www.calnra.com California NRA Web Site ----- CLICK HERE to
Join NRA's California Team of Volunteers

Proud to be an NRA Benefactor Member
Old 01-16-2013, 7:21 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

This was a very interesting meeting and I will be writing up my observations.
I agree that we need a way to identify each other.
I you have any ideas please add your thoughts.

Thank you Everyone for the help, We are not done, but this turn out was encouraging.

Old 01-18-2013, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

next meeting, same location & time?

couldn't make the last one due to last minute stuff
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, it seems they're going to hold the next meeting Jan 22 at 6PM.

http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/governm...A201301222.pdf

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

So are we mobilising for tonight?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post
So are we mobilising for tonight?
YES!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=680390
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Called again...was placed on hold this time for a few minutes, hopefully that was a good sign. The lady answering the phone seemed mildly annoyed, but it might have been that she was just overwhelmed.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't forget that this is also clearly encroaching on First Amendment Freedoms of a right to peaceful assembly, by law-abiding citizens. If some other organization can have a doll-and-crafts show, a bake-sale, or a dance-competition at the Glendale Galleria, then so should law-abiding citizens supporting a gun show have that right, especially where no laws are being broken.

It's infringement on civil liberty under the First Amendment, and not just a 2nd Amendment issue.

Old 01-22-2013, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Any place that everyone is meeting or will Paul have a nametag so we can find him?

Old 01-22-2013, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Jax bar and grill on brand is a great place. Ill see if Paul and Hpaul have a different idea being that I'm sitting next to them