Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-31-2013, 4:24 PM

Question Benelli M4 - Reliability

ALCON:

1. Would it be appropriate to make the claim that the Benelli M4 is one of few semi automatic shotguns that are just as reliable as a pump action shot gun?

Thank you,
Old 07-31-2013, 4:56 PM
Banned

That would be appropriate but they are overpriced for what they are . I guess if you sell them to the military at a certain price it would be possible to sell it to the public at a lower price.

I'm a fan of the FN SLP. It cycles faster than the M4 and ultra reliable. FN SLP fastest cycling shotgun on the planet and cost significantly less than the M4.
Old 07-31-2013, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes. I love mine.
Old 07-31-2013, 5:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlK Lantern View Post
ALCON:

1. Would it be appropriate to make the claim that the Benelli M4 is one of few semi automatic shotguns that are just as reliable as a pump action shot gun?

Thank you,
What you have to aware of concerning some semi-auto shotguns, is that there reliability is somewhat tied to proper stance and grip. If held improperly, the action will not cycle properly.
Old 07-31-2013, 6:29 PM

I've hip fired my M4 just to see if it would work.

It did.
Old 07-31-2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
That would be appropriate but they are overpriced for what they are . I guess if you sell them to the military at a certain price it would be possible to sell it to the public at a lower price.

I'm a fan of the FN SLP. It cycles faster than the M4 and ultra reliable. FN SLP fastest cycling shotgun on the planet and cost significantly less than the M4.
I looked at getting a M4 but that $1600 price tag is a lot for a shotgun. A friend of mine took it to go clay shooting and it was a blast to shoot however not made for skeet or clay.

I was also looking at the FNH SLP Tactical looks amazing I wonder if it is comparable to the M4. I have read that the SLP is going for about $950 and if it is comparable in terms of performance and reliability you now have 2 options.
Old 07-31-2013, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Love the SLP!
Old 07-31-2013, 8:23 PM
Banned

Any thoughts on the 930 spx?
Old 07-31-2013, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ALCON:

Thank you,
No, that would not be not accurate.

Why are you asking?
Old 07-31-2013, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

yes- I love mine its never missed a beat in a few thousand rounds , from slugs to buck to light bird loads. in fact I have seen pumps malfunction just as much at three gun competitions than modernaemi autos. and if you have ever shot a lot of three gun matches then you know pumps are not competive with semi autos.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:49 PM

I have been shooting the Remington versa max tactical a lot lately and it has been fantastic. Much better than my older rem 1100.

Brandon M.
Old 07-31-2013, 9:09 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
ALCON:

Thank you,
Do you have an M4? What other semis do you have? And what pumps do you have?

What's your experience?

Thank you.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 AM

m4 out the box will cycle anything. slp comes with 2 systems for light loads and reg loads. m4 is worth the money but capacity upgrades are always sold out.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 AM

Benelli makes quality products, I have not heard of any on going issues pertaining to reliability problems.

That is not to say that there is zero malfunctions and or owners that neglect it so badly that they have issues. I for one would be a proud owner if it wasn't so expensive. If you religiously browse gunbroker you can find some used ones for under $1000.
Old 08-01-2013, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsbruce View Post
m4 out the box will cycle anything. slp comes with 2 systems for light loads and reg loads. m4 is worth the money but capacity upgrades are always sold out.
my m4 out the box would not cycle birdshot. slugs and buckshot worked well.
Old 08-01-2013, 5:12 AM

Location: I did notice how far over I've moved this part of my info. I tried it, and it was fun.

out of the box you need to disassemble the whole gun and clean everything and lube it up, then break it in. once broken in the M4 will shoot anything.
Old 08-01-2013, 6:13 AM

I have about 200 rounds thought my M4. It cycles the light loads, but not all the time. I get a few stove pipes every now and then. 00buck and slugs ALWAYS cycle. I just took her all apart and lubed and cleaned everything so well see how she cycles now. It's the nicest shotgun I've ever shot. Last outting I shot some clays with a Rem 870 and mossy 500 both of witch were more set up for clays and my Benelli held up just fine. Not to mention is a little easier on your shoulder, plus unloading all 7 rounds in like 2 seconds is always fun

I also just found out Benelli is no longer making the Desert Camo version like mine. She's NEVER going anywhere now! Maybe one day ill pass it and my Python along to my son!

Sacramento Black Rifle.
Old 08-01-2013, 6:59 AM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
ALCON:

How reliable is a pump?

Our first Benelli M4 failed twice in two different combat shotgun courses (which is the best place to stress test gear of any kind).

The first time it simply stopped working. The instructor, Louis Awerbuck, said he'd seen it happen before and suggested I saturate the action with oil. I did so and it worked for a while, but then seized up again. More oil, and it worked for a while before I switched to an 870.

A little later I sent an employee to a similar class. He wanted to use the M4, but I said he would need to bring an 870 with him as well, just in case. During the class one of the M4's pistons broke in two, and so he, too, ended the class with the 870.

I have had no problems with our M4s since then. The Benelli M4 is certainly my favorite semi-auto shotgun.

Like all gear, any shotgun is subject to failure during high intensity usage. On the other hand, most shotguns should work fine with moderate usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordres View Post
I've hip fired my M4 just to see if it would work.

It did.
It's gas-operated, so firing from the hip had no effect on the operation. On the other hand, you might well have problems firing the inertia action Benelli M1/M2 from the hip.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-01-2013 at 7:04 AM..
Old 08-01-2013, 3:27 PM
Banned

Yes, pumps do malfunction, usually user induced. People short stroke them while pumping the action.

Now new out of the box, late production 870's have problems locking up and malfunctioning. Some work just fine.
Old 08-01-2013, 4:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Supposedly the most reliable semi out there..

And my 930 was supposedly the most unreliable... 300 rounds light/head loads slug buck and bird and not a single issue with t 930. So take it for what it's worth.

Personal I wouldn't ever buy one being their price. If I had that money to spend I'd prefer another 930, SLP or a versa max

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-01-2013, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Fan View Post
Now new out of the box, late production 870's have problems locking up and malfunctioning. Some work just fine.

I've sourced this to low end ammo. Being my cousins mid 80s 500, a 590 and my 2 870s all tended to get hung up on Winchester universal and rarely once and a blue moon fed bulk.. Other than that my 870s have run fine right along with 500s and 590s.

Again common denominator tends to be Winchester bulk which almost all pump shooters shoot now.. Which is why this is more common.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-01-2013, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

^^^ THIS! Don't get me wrong, the M4 is one of the most reliable and great shotguns, but I agree, way too overpriced due to the name. FN has Browning and Winchester under their belt and proven track record for shotguns (i Own a couple of SX3's and SXP) and it's best bang for the buck.

Likewise OP, if the M4 is your cup of tea, go get her, but keep in mind, their are other options, that are comparable if not better, but way less!

The SLP has been on my "to get eventually" list

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 08-02-2013, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, pumps do malfunction, usually user induced. People short stroke them while pumping the action.

Yup, a guy running a pump kept short stroking and jamming the action while I was shooting my M4 at the clay stations once. I had him set the gun down and then just racked the hell out of the slide to free the shell.

The people running pumps in training class are also more tired at the end of the session than people running semis. You def. need to train more and harder if running a pump. Did Stan's 101 class at TASC last month. He had extra time after 4 hours and asked if anyone wanted to stay on and run a few more drills,most of the people running pumps were done by then and only us running M4s and SPXs stayed on.
Old 08-02-2013, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

I had a Benelli M4 that had thousands of rounds through it and it only choked when I was running winchester birdshot. I loved the gun it was amazing to shoot I sold it because it was just to expensive to feed because I always wanted to do mag dumps because it was so soft shooting. The main gripes I had with the Benelli m4 was it seemed like a lot of money to spend on a shotgun I had around 2k into it plus the weight and adding a light where issues. I sold it for almost what I payed and bought a 590A1 and haven't looked back it does everything I would need a shotgun to do just not quite as awesome as the Benelli did but close.
Old 08-02-2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8HEATED View Post
my m4 out the box would not cycle birdshot. slugs and buckshot worked well.
same here.
had issues too with reduced recoil ammo.

my 930 spx spit out everything out of the box.

Bruce Lee
Old 08-02-2013, 9:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Absolutely NO, if you use low wall.

Some may cycle,some not.

I've several M2's and 2 M4's. The M4's did worst with low wall.

IT"S meant for full power killing rounds. But, some will cycle, some won't.

I've found more M2's cycle low wall then M4's.

IF YOU ARE LOCAL, you may try my M2 at Insight. But it's got a lightened bolt, and a lot of other work for 3 gun.

Last edited by ERdept; 08-02-2013 at 9:24 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 9:56 PM

For anyone having issues with M4 cycling birdshot... Try Federal brand. Mine cycles them without fail.

So far the only thing mine doesn't like is Winchester brand bird, cycles everything else no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsbruce View Post
slp comes with 2 systems for light loads and reg loads. m4 is worth the money but capacity upgrades are always sold out.
Also this, why would I want to fumble around switching the gas pistons? There's nothing better than a Benelli M4 imho ... well....maybe except an AA-12

Last edited by ParadigmShift; 08-06-2013 at 9:48 PM..
Old 08-03-2013, 8:57 AM

Quote:

Benelli M1/M2 and Beretta 1200/1201 are the 2nd fastest shotguns, Browning 5 is the fastest. Not that the split sec delta will make any difference in rec shooters.

Last edited by walmart_ar15; 08-03-2013 at 9:04 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

What grip/stance have you used to force a misfire on your M4? I have yet to find one for either of mine. M1 is another story.

Quote:
What you have to aware of concerning some semi-auto shotguns, is that there reliability is somewhat tied to proper stance and grip. If held improperly, the action will not cycle properly.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Perhaps the OP can better clarify why they want discussion on M4 vs Pump, which as is looks like opening a can of worms kind of question. What pump shotgun specifically? Not all pump shotguns are built equally just as not all semis are built the same. Does OP want to buy an M4 for HD but balks at the price tag because a pump can do the same? Or does OP plan to use it for competition, to which I would say there are better options for that than the M4 as it was designed as a combative platform.

In my experience, when it comes to the M4, either you have one or want one Everytime at the range it never fails to bring people wanting to see it, shoot it, talk about it, or just watch it in action. In fact, I'm alittle over it and wish people would stop gawking and go buy one.

Yes, it is expensive but hey if you own multiple ARs, you can own a stock M4. I'll never be more than a mediocre AR shooter but the M4 is my favorite shotgun and I picked to be best with it.

I love mine and it is absolutely my first choice for home defense. Its been abso doesn't matter to me that the SLP or VersaMax can cycle a split second faster, I use it for HD and I need to account for my shots if it comes down to it.

I feel like this thread has brought out the haters seeing an opportunity to bash it so I will just post a pic with the new Streamlight added. These are my go to HD weapons
Old 08-03-2013, 2:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's not made to kill birds, half the desirability of a M4/1014 is in the ergonomics. I would love to test drive a Versa Max to compare though.
Old 08-03-2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawndog View Post
It's not made to kill birds, half the desirability of a M4/1014 is in the ergonomics. I would love to test drive a Versa Max to compare though.
Me too, but the Versamax is 700 dollars cheaper and already comes with what you want to add to a stock M4: Nordic clamp, full magazine tube. It doesn't have the LPA GRS but its longer barrel makes it clay range friendly.

I handled one the other day at Riflegear. It's functioning and manual of arms is exactly like the Benellis and it also rides on a free carrier. Curious, I goggled Versamax Field strip and just looking by the pictures, you would think they field striped an M4.

I do like the enlarged bolt release button on the Versamax, but practice combat loading from under and if you drop the shell onto the latch and press down firmly and hear the click, you won't need to hit the bolt release anyway.
Old 08-03-2013, 2:26 PM

My M4 has been flawless. Over 500 rounds and zero malfunctions. Incredible weapon.

If you shoot slugs I recommend the Hastings Extended Length Rifled Choke Tube. It adds 8" of 1 in 12 rifling to the barrel. A must for Sabot slugs, and also excellent for foster slugs as well.

It is the next best thing to a slug gun, until someone makes a dedicated rifled barrel for the M4.

HASTING RIFLED CHOKE TUBE
Old 08-04-2013, 9:09 AM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
How reliable is a pump?
A little later I sent an employee to a similar class. He wanted to use the M4, but I said he would need to bring an 870 with him as well, just in case. During the class one of the M4's pistons broke in two, and so he, too, ended the class with the 870.

I have had no problems with our M4s since then. The Benelli M4 is certainly my favorite semi-auto shotgun.
Just had two more failures this weekend, after many years of flawless shooting.

First, after the first shot, a shell somehow got jammed under the carrier coming out of the magazine. I had to remove the trigger group to fix that. I took the opportunity to completely strip and clean the shotgun.

Then within a few minutes a piston broke again. This is an old M4, with the four gas ports instead of two. The barrel actually says "low recoil only," which is doubtless why we've broken pistons twice (though when the piston broke this weekend we were shooting LE slugs, which are not full powered. But we were shooting a lot).

In addition to the classes, which is probably the best place for a individual to stress test a platform, some of our guns get a real workout, because we will have a fun shoot with maybe ten or fifteen people all shooting more or less constantly, so two or three of the favorite guns are getting fired off all day. Surprisingly, the platform that seems to do the best, since it is by far the most popular and also has the fewest problems, is an old Frankenstein AR-15 that doesn't get cleaned nearly as much as it should. Even our 870s give us problems.

In the future I'm going to shoot the newer M4 two gas port barrel we have and retire the four-port barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPhx501 View Post
I handled one the other day at Riflegear. It's functioning and manual of arms is exactly like the Benellis and it also rides on a free carrier. Curious, I goggled Versamax Field strip and just looking by the pictures, you would think they field striped an M4.
The Versa Max is basically Remington's attempt to build a US-made M4. The gas system has been tweaked a bit so that it should reliably cycle a wider variety of ammunition.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Banned

Never owned an M4, but I run several M1 Super 90's for 3 gun (which is also the most popular for 3 gun). The oldest one has over 30,000 rounds thru it, including thousands of slugs. No issues.

Old 08-04-2013, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Probably more so with an inertia semi auto than a gas semi.

My M4 has been outstanding. I have yet to find anything that it won't feed, including WallyWorld bulk birdshot. Some M4's, however, have challenges with the lighter loads.

But as others have said, they are by no means cheap. And you're likely going to have to add a few hundred to the base price to swap out the mag tube to get to 7+1 and make it 922R compliant.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
...and make it 922R compliant.
We're talking changing a part on a personal use (fully assembled from the fcatory) firearm not manufacturing of entire firearm from a parts kit; right? Then why does it have to be 922R compliant?

Last edited by HK35; 08-05-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 08-05-2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK35 View Post
We're talking changing a part on a personal use (fully assembled from the fcatory) firearm not manufacturing of entire firearm from a parts kit; right? Then why does it have to be 922R compliant?
Because the idiots in DC figured they could use the idea of protecting US commerce to further restrict the rights of legal gun owners.
Old 08-05-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
Because the idiots in DC figured they could use the idea of protecting US commerce to further restrict the rights of legal gun owners.
But that doesn't answer the question about changing or adding a part to a personal firearm.
Old 08-05-2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
But that doesn't answer the question about changing or adding a part to a personal firearm which is not covered under 922R.