Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-23-2015, 6:43 PM

Default 2016 handguns

Is there something in the works as far as keeping handguns here the wonderful state of California? I was chatting it up with a guy at my local gun shop and he told me starting January 1st no more Handguns in California
Old 03-23-2015, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

I'll say that's straight up FUD. Calling bs on him. Any legal matter hasn't been flattened out enough to judge that now. Hell, I don't pay that close attention but I still Know that's a load of bull pockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 03-23-2015, 6:45 PM

the guy at your local gun shop is a moron
Old 03-23-2015, 6:47 PM

He's either trying to really make the sale or he is trying start another panic to bolster sales.
Old 03-23-2015, 6:52 PM

Well, everything pretty much is consolidated to expire on the 1st, so yes, but no.

Each manufacturer has the option to renew what is on the roster with an extortion fee to the state.

Only the manufacturer will know to decide if it's worth it to continue to produce out dated pistols and renew with the extortion fee. The fee is unjustified so it's extortion money going to someone pocket somewhere, and I am sure it's funneling the extortion money to someone that is against guns. What! am I wrong.
Old 03-23-2015, 6:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Find a new FFL to spend your money at
Old 03-23-2015, 6:57 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

From what I understand, as long as manufacturers continue to renew their current roster certifications and produce currently rostered models, we will at least have those. It would take every manufacturer to not renew, and let their certifications expire for us to effectively lose all handguns. Because at that point every model would have to also meet the micro stamping requirement...

I don't know how many manufacturers would forego their profits from CA by not renewing though. However, if it starts to cost them more to keep CA approved model production lines, maybe...

I don't know. I may be wrong here. Maybe someone with actual knowledge on this would provide real information.
Old 03-23-2015, 7:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie.223 View Post
Is there something in the works as far as keeping handguns here the wonderful state of California? I was chatting it up with a guy at my local gun shop and he told me starting January 1st no more Handguns in California
the fellow you were chatting it up with was wrong; simple answer.
Old 03-23-2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna make 2 guess's based on your statement.

1. This happened at a Turner's, didn't it?

2. The other guy was there to buy a Glock, or Glock accessories, wasn't he?

Old 03-23-2015, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"Hey man, you better buy it NOW or you might miss the chance!!!!" - Every salesman, ever.
Old 03-23-2015, 7:48 PM

The guy you were chatting with doesn't know what the f#ck he's talking about. As far as all rostered guns having an expiration date of 1/1/16, that's how the roster works. Manufacturers have to renew every year. There is a fee, but, if they sell just one or two of that model, they've recouped that fee. I simply cannot reasonably envision Glock, S&W, Colt, SIG, et al collectively turning their backs on the CA market en mass. Not going to happen
Old 03-23-2015, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

This is not the first thread questioning this FUD over 01-01-16 and I guarantee it will not be the last
Old 03-23-2015, 9:43 PM

This didnt happen at turners.. i wont name the place because ive become a loyal customer
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 PM
CGSSA Leader

Typical GS FUD, pay no mind to the peasants!.....Carry on.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
This didnt happen at turners.. i wont name the place because ive become a loyal customer
was it a salesman or a fellow customer?

http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://www.sageebr.com/
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 03-24-2015, 5:26 AM

This was a salesman, usually they know their stuff which is why this seemed a bid odd
Old 03-24-2015, 5:39 AM
Veteran Member

OP, I have heard a similar statement from at least one FFL. In reviewing the legislation myself it is clear that the such a situation, while theoretically possible, is highly unlikely.

It only costs $200/model/year to keep a handgun on the roster, unless it is randomly retested at some point and fails one of the original qualification tests. Given the potential revenue from CA buyers over the course of a year, this fee is a very small price for a manufacturer to pay.

That said, it IS unlikely that we will see any NEW models on the list anytime soon, since new models must utilize the micro-stamping technology. At least a couple of manufacturers (Ruger and S&W) have already stated that they do not plan to produce any handguns with this technology.

So, as long as the current models remain unchanged by the manufacturers (since to modify them would require recertification), AND they continue to be viable revenue producing products in CA, they will likely stay on the roster at least in the near term.
Old 03-24-2015, 5:54 AM

I have always wondered how the percentage of idiots working in the gun industry stacks up against others.
Old 03-24-2015, 6:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I recall hearing that the DOJ, in order to streamline the process, has made all roster certifications expire at the same time. Then all the renewals also happen at the same time instead of spread out though the year.

So as long as the manufacturers don't change the model and continue to pay the extortion fees, the guns on the roster will stay on the roster.

And yeah, I'm gonna say FUD regarding the LGS employees statement.

YMMV.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 03-24-2015, 6:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
I have always wondered how the percentage of idiots working in the gun industry stacks up against others.
A bigger issue is that the percentage of idiots is increasing exponentially in the population as a whole.
Old 03-24-2015, 6:18 AM

"...i wont name the place because ive become a loyal customer"

So you are more loyal to your local "lying" gunstore than the actual Community here on Cal Guns, awesome.

I call BS and this never really happened.

Old 03-24-2015, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post

So you are more loyal to your local "lying" gunstore than the actual Community here on Cal Guns, awesome.

This.

Why would you continue to be loyal to someone who lies to you? Especially someone who lies to you in order to profit from you?
Old 03-24-2015, 6:50 AM

Default wow

Quote:

Whos questioning my loyalty to either place??? I wont name the place because its my lgs! I opened this thread asking if anyone has heard similar information.....
Old 03-24-2015, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
I recall hearing that the DOJ, in order to streamline the process, has made all roster certifications expire at the same time. Then all the renewals also happen at the same time instead of spread out though the year.

Yes, DOJ "sychronized" all of the roster entries so the due dates for fees/expirations all fall on January 1st each year. And yes, as long as the fees are paid, the models are not changed, and none fail any random re-testing, they will remain on the roster.
Old 03-24-2015, 8:52 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

OP: You need to read more, and CalGuns is a good place to start reading. Keep abreast of the laws and don't trust a salesman when it comes to matters of whether or not supply is drying up.

I understand you're loyal to a local LGS and that's a nice thing, but if they aren't loyal to you, as in giving you proper and truthful advice then it might be time to shop around. I've lived in my community for 17 years and in that time I've found two places that are straight up, a local pawn shop and a mom-pop place 40 miles from me. Spend your money wisely.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 03-24-2015, 8:55 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

You should have asked him where he planned to be working on Jan 2 2016.
Old 03-24-2015, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Much gun store FUD out there, they pulled some Crap on me, but was quickly dispelled here, on the best information gun forum bar none !
Old 03-24-2015, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is true, OP. On January 1st, all handgun owners in this state are to assemble at Anaheim Stadium, line up at 10:00 and stack arms. We will then take the oath of allegiance, sign our parole papers and go home and own handguns no more.
Old 03-24-2015, 9:26 AM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That whole idea came from the idea that if every gun drops off the roster by 1/1/2016 it would be a de facto ban on handguns in CA therefore the roster is illegal and it should be tossed out. Now, even if every gun does drop off I don't think the judicial system works the way people wish it works. There will be a period of time where the courts do its thing and there are no handguns for retail in CA.

For the record I just don't know what will drop off so I go out and buy what I want as long as I can afford it. RIA Match you are next.

Last edited by JackRydden224; 03-24-2015 at 9:30 AM..
Old 03-24-2015, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

I have actually heard this same crap at 3 gun stores Sportsman in Rocklin, Just Guns & can't recall the third. They all basically told the customer that all pistols fall off the roster January 2016 so you better buy your guns now. I have no idea why I didn't call BS. I almost spoke up at Just Guns.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Either your salesman actually has no idea how the roster works, or is trying to gin up sales. I think there has recently been a lull in sales after the SSE rush, as many regular gun buyers' wallets and credits cards took a beating in order to get what they wanted when they could, often not from their LGS either, and now some are still hunting for off-roster models via PPT. In my last few visits I've generally noticed a lack of customers and a lot of on-roster models in the case, and rifles on the wall too.

Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before another "real" panic buying environment ensues due to some ridiculous new law being foisted upon us.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If the current rostered guns aren't renewed by paying the extortionist then they fall off the roster. Problem with that is once it falls off the roster it can't be added again due to the micro-stamp regulation. There really are no new handguns qualified in fulfilling that regulation. More and more manufacturers are refusing to pay the extortionist so the roster gets smaller. It all depends on gun manufacturers in keeping their guns on the list, but they will not do it at a lost.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
"
I find this interesting
Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.
Sig worthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post

Lifetime NRA member.
Old 03-24-2015, 1:45 PM

Just trying to make a sale. That's what they do.
Old 03-24-2015, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

He is a T A R D
Old 03-24-2015, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
He is a T A R D
Hey man plenty of people are leading normal lives while being a t a r d.
I mean look at my ex wife. She's tarded and she's a pilot....
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 03-24-2015, 1:54 PM

It's not in California's best interest to get rid of all guns on the roster. That would constitute a ban and would be ruled unconstitutional. They want to keep the roster around that way it's not a total ban but still hard to get anything new.
Old 03-24-2015, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hey man plenty of people are leading normal lives while being a t a r d.
I mean look at my ex wife. She's tarded and she's a pilot....
I hope she doesn't fly commercial airlines.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine