Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-12-2020, 4:48 PM

Default Laptop questions

Looking at buying a new laptop after 10 years. Use it for MS Office and internet surfing.

I know I want 16GB RAM, a 512 SSD and either a 14" orr 15" screen. Question is (with budget around $900), should it matter whether I get a touchscreen or not? I assume it is better NOT to get a touchscreen as more moving parts = less reliability. I can't think of how a touchscreen would benefit me. Nevertheless, would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 05-13-2020, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

There are no moving parts with a touchscreen. I have several laptops that are touchscreen and they're no less reliable. However, I would only get one if it were in one of the tablet or convertible formats. On a standard laptop, you're probably not going to use the touchscreen capability much, if at all.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 05-13-2020, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

most likely wont find that laptop with those internals for around 900 if purchasing from a solid manufacturer.

i would skip touch screen unless you go with something like the lenovo yoga which doesnt have the best battery life.

i would look for a lenovo T480 or T480s.
Old 05-13-2020, 9:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just got a Dell inspiron 15, its a 10th gen i5 processor, not an i7, and it has 8 g ram and a 512 ssd. I thought about doubling the Ram but this is for work. Ram is cheap and easy, no need so far.

No Touch screen for me. Windows 10 pro.

It was under $700, delivered. Totally happy so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-13-2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I just got a Dell inspiron 15, its a 10th gen i5 processor, not an i7, and it has 8 g ram and a 512 ssd. I thought about doubling the Ram but this is for work. Ram is cheap and easy, no need so far.

No Touch screen for me. Windows 10 pro.

It was under $700, delivered. Totally happy so far.
Was this an Amazon purchase?

As for touchscreens, I notice that touchscreens seem to be a little bit less then conventional laptops (which makes little sense).

Old 05-15-2020, 7:41 AM

I bought a HP envy 360 convertible with touchscreen and to be honest I've only ever used the tablet mode once when I first bought it just to try in out... I would not get a touchscreen as I have never actually used the touchscreen except once when my touchpad stopped functioning for some weird reason so I had to use the touchscreen to restart my laptop but other than that I've never used it. I wouldn't get a convert able one either as using a laptop as a tablet is awkward and heavy, just use a laptop as a laptop.

Sam's club and costco have some good deals on laptops every now and then. Could find a good laptop in the $900 range at either of those stores to your specs most likely
Old 05-15-2020, 12:28 PM

I don't have many recommendations on a *new* laptop. As far as I'm concerned right now, and until Lenovo gets their crap together, most all of them are junk. ATM, the ONLY laptop I would recommend, is a used Lenovo (W541, or older), a newer P series ThinkPad, a high end Dell, an MSI/Alienware, or some other mid-range to high end gaming machine (Asus ROG, Acer Predator). Why? Because ONLY the ones I've mentioned, have been known to be reliable, and are of decent build quality.
How do I know this? Because I work on laptops every day.

Stay away from HP, they're currently putting out "iffy" laptops. Stay away from touchscreens, unless you're getting a high end Dell. Stay away from new Lenovo's, as they're having Thunderbolt issues that tend to be unfixable.

Yes, I know some of you will chime in with "Well, I have (insert laptop brand), and it runs GREAT". Yes, you may have a good one, or you may just not have had problems with it yet. Give it time.

My most requested repairs? MacBook Pro, Surface Book Pro, most HP's, a lot of the new Lenovo's, Acers (not their gamers), and some low end Dell's. Pretty much in that order.

What I DON'T see very often, if at all. Older Lenovo, P series Lenovo, Asus ROG, Alienware, MSI, Acer Predators, and High end Dells.

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-15-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Old 05-15-2020, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a couple of old Lenovo T-420s that are still running well with Windows 8.1. Plus you can increAse memory and hard drive (if you have small tool set and can find videos on YouTube).

Also have a less old, Lenovo T-450 that is running strong with windows 8.1.

Older Lenovo Thinkpads are rock solid, well made and can take a bit of a beating (not to destroy it or anything, just everyday use).
Old 05-15-2020, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

i5-i7 Lenovo, 16GB RAM, 512+ GB Samsung SSD/NVMe, (M.2 NVMe only like +$169-$174)... would be my next purchase if I needed more than I have.
Old 05-15-2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwack44 View Post
Looking at buying a new laptop after 10 years. Use it for MS Office and internet surfing.
You don't need a lot for Word and Internet Surfing. Price the low and high, then buy the middle.
Unless you want to future proof, then buy the best money can get.
Lucky, computers have been stagnant as far as innovation.

My current desktop is ~8 years old. Just upgraded the video card, next, the monitor. I'll be good for another eight years.
Old 05-18-2020, 9:24 AM

I wouldn't go the touchscreen route unless you can use it in a tablet format. Seems like too many performance/value tradeoffs when you look at getting a laptop with a touchscreen. For your $900 budget, you can get a really nice laptop.
Old 05-18-2020, 9:42 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I played with a few of the convertible tablet laptops but I wasnt very impressed. For one, its a huge tablet, double the size of an ipad, kinda takes away from the point of a tablet being handy and portable.

Second, when you fold the whole laptop into a tablet, youre left with the keyboard exposed on the bottom. Most of them diable the keys so its not messing with the screen, but its still goofy to hold in your hand with a bunch of buttons on the bottom. Go to bestbuy and play with one before you buy it, its an expensive option that most people end up never using.

I bought my wife a MSI last year with an I7, 8gb ram, GTX 1050, 128gb SSD and 1 tb HDD for a bit under 800, but now I dont see anything near those specs for that price
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cuda440; 05-18-2020 at 9:44 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 1:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Back from Lithuania. Still running from folks in Esotonia...

Look to get a Lenovo P52 (last year) or a P53 (this year) for around $1500 or less with sky high upgrade limits and top notch equipment including an IPS screen.

Hunt them on Ebay for a price that is about $400+ less then new. You can find P52s for a good price that is right around your budget.

Else the W530 model can be had for about $400 or less and has a Core i7 3rd gen in it with a lot of pep.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 05-23-2020, 2:07 AM

I got a Asus slim laptop/tablet with Win 10 Pro. The touchscreen is pretty good if your machine needs to be mobile and you don't want to use the pad or external mouse. It can be pretty speedy with a soft tip stylus navigating tabs and scrolling. I've started to prefer it over a mouse when I'm traveling with it.
Old 05-23-2020, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

Big Lenovo fan. I bought a T590 a few months ago and love it.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-23-2020, 7:07 AM

Under $225 on Ebay, and all are upgradeable.

i5/i7, some with dGPU, no soldered ram, the "s" models do not have upgradeable CPU's:

Lenovo,T420/T520/T420s=$>100.
T430/T530/T430s/Dell, E6430=$90-120.
T440p/T540p/x230/Dell, E6440= $150-$225.
W520=$200-$225.

Between $226-$500 ALL "W, and "P"" series Lenovo's have a dGPU
Almost ALL W, and P series lenovo's are Quad Cores:

T440p/T540p >$250.
Lenovo W530=$275-$300.
W540/W541/Dell, M4800=$350-$450.
Lenovo, P50 (low end, CPU non-upgradeable)=$500.

Between $500-$700 (non-upgradeable CPU):

Acer Nitro5, Intel powered=$500-$575.
P50=$500-$700, depending on configuration.
T460p/T470p=$575-$625.
Dell 17 Inspiron 7778 (17", reliable 1080p IPS touchscreen)/other high-end Dells=$650-$700.

Also in the $600-$700 price range, you can get a good quality, used, MSI, or Asus ROG.

The above laptops are pretty much the ONLY ones I recommend in these price ranges.

Avoid the Lenovo, T440,T450,T460,T470,(x240, and<), and their "s" versions UNLESS you're doing ONLY basic computing, or coding, and need the battery life.
Avoid ANY HP's in these price ranges. HP put out some REAL turds during this period of time.
Most used gaming machines are reasonably decent in the $350-$700 price range. Avoid the Lenovo "Y" series, and Legions. They have reliability issues.

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-23-2020 at 7:27 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 7:25 AM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

I just picked up this guy. Great value with an i5 9th gen, 512 sad, Gtx 1660ti graphics card, extra slot for another sshd hard drive, ips hd display, 8gb of ram but upgradable. I bought 2 sticks of 16gb for 32 go total. Or you can buy another 8gb stick ezpz.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-ro...1TS-001A-00RB9
Old 05-23-2020, 2:34 PM

Still looking for a laptop. As I have $900 in Amazon credit, I'd prefer making the purchase there. I have narrowed it down to this Thinkpad https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NXXCIAR5&psc=1 or this Acer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...35CZ2MR5&psc=1 Both get favorable reviews on YouTube.

My hesitation is I am not clear if the Acer can upgrade to 16GM Ram. Also, as 80% of the laptop will be for surfing and using MS Office (the other 20% will be minimal Photoshop retouching), should I look for a dedicated video card, or as high a processing speed I can afford?

Last edited by Bushwack44; 05-23-2020 at 3:00 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 2:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I don't have many recommendations on a *new* laptop. As far as I'm concerned right now, and until Lenovo gets their crap together, most all of them are junk. ATM, the ONLY laptop I would recommend, is a used Lenovo (W541, or older), a newer P series ThinkPad, a high end Dell, an MSI/Alienware, or some other mid-range to high end gaming machine (Asus ROG, Acer Predator). Why? Because ONLY the ones I've mentioned, have been known to be reliable, and are of decent build quality.
How do I know this? Because I work on laptops every day.

Stay away from HP, they're currently putting out "iffy" laptops. Stay away from touchscreens, unless you're getting a high end Dell. Stay away from new Lenovo's, as they're having Thunderbolt issues that tend to be unfixable.

Yes, I know some of you will chime in with "Well, I have (insert laptop brand), and it runs GREAT". Yes, you may have a good one, or you may just not have had problems with it yet. Give it time.

My most requested repairs? MacBook Pro, Surface Book Pro, most HP's, a lot of the new Lenovo's, Acers (not their gamers), and some low end Dell's. Pretty much in that order.

What I DON'T see very often, if at all. Older Lenovo, P series Lenovo, Asus ROG, Alienware, MSI, Acer Predators, and High end Dells.

Surf through C-L for deals as well. I've always had good success with C-L computer/parts deals.
Old 05-23-2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Still looking for a laptop. As I have $900 in Amazon credit, I'd prefer making the purchase there. I have narrowed it down to this Thinkpad https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NXXCIAR5&psc=1 or this Acer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...35CZ2MR5&psc=1 Both get favorable reviews on YouTube.

My hesitation is I am not clear if the Acer can upgrade to 16GM Ram. Also, as 80% of the laptop will be for surfing and using MS Office (the other 20% will be minimal Photoshop retouching), should I look for a dedicated video card, or as high a processing speed I can afford?
Go for the Acer. Here's why. The ThinkPad has a pathetic display, and the Acer has a 1080p display. MUCH easier on your eyes.

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-24-2020 at 6:14 AM..
Old 05-24-2020, 7:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Dragunov what do you think of the AMD processors...
https://www.costco.com/asus-rog-zeph...100655382.html
Old 05-24-2020, 9:46 AM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
Dragunov what do you think of the AMD processors...
https://www.costco.com/asus-rog-zeph...100655382.html
I know you didn't ask me but I'll put my two cents in.

Between that AMD Ryzen 4800H and say, and Intel I7-9750H (or even I7-10875H) you won't notice a difference unless you are running simulations and timing them down to the minute. Like fluid, mechanical, electrical simulations.

AMD used to be very electrically efficient for the laptop market. You would see improved battery life for a given laptop with an AMD cpu vs intel (most offerings).

Not so much true today.

If you aren't in a benchmark war, or trying to save minutes off of simulations, you won't notice a difference and will be fine with either processor. I would say go with Intel because of their reliability track record but even then, AMD is reliable too.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...6364vsm1032976

That machine you linked to looks well spec'd for the price including that 1T nvme drive and 16gb ram out the box. Integrated camera and the Ryzen 7.

I used to be an AMD fanboy when I started building computers back in the AMD Athlon and Intel Pentium 3 days. The intels even then were benchmarking better but the budget pcs I built with Athlon were offering gamers effectively the same performance for much lower cost. Sure on a benchmark run, the pentium machines would pull ahead in almost all cases but that doesn't matter much for 95% of gamers.
Old 05-24-2020, 9:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Was this an Amazon purchase?

As for touchscreens, I notice that touchscreens seem to be a little bit less then conventional laptops (which makes little sense).
No, directly from Dell. It was at the start of the shutdown and nobody had anything in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM

OK...finally narrowed the choice down between a Thinkpad T480 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...QJIMLX3X&psc=1 and this HP - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BV1YQ4SG&psc=1. My hesitation is if the HP is worth the extra $100 for the i7 and dedicated graphic card (again, about 80% use will be surfing the net and MS Office, 20% some Photoshop work). No video editing. Also, the HP is a touchscreen (which I wont use for its purpose).

Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 PM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OK...finally narrowed the choice down between a Thinkpad T480 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...QJIMLX3X&psc=1 and this HP - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BV1YQ4SG&psc=1. My hesitation is if the HP is worth the extra $100 for the i7 and dedicated graphic card (again, about 80% use will be surfing the net and MS Office, 20% some Photoshop work). No video editing. Also, the HP is a touchscreen (which I wont use for its purpose).
What do you do with photoshop? Minimum requirements are a gtx 1650, 1660 recommended. That mx250 in the hp won’t cut it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/sy...uirements.html

But that is to cover the whole program suite.

This laptop has everything you would need. Photoshop requires 2gb ram, recommends 8gb. This one has 8gb and super easily upgraded up to 32. storage is easily added to/upgraded with an existing available slot. However it does not have an integrated camera. Has integrated microphone but no camera. So that's something you'd have to pick up. Minor in my opinion.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Laptop-i.../dp/B07VWDKV4C

About Lenovo: We exclusively use Lenovo at work and the IT guys love them because they don’t have that many repair requests (~180 in use by employees). Five years ago when they had Dell systems, the IT guys were swamped with keeping the hardware functioning. Lenovo has great customer service in my opinion too.

Last edited by Frozenguy; 05-24-2020 at 12:24 PM..