Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-21-2020, 9:49 PM

Default Tent with good zippers?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality tent big enough for 2 people + 1 dog, for temperatures down to just below freezing (maybe 30 degrees), with quality zippers? The main problem I have with the kind I buy at REI is the zippers work through the local weekend camping trips, but then break on the trips where I drive 500 miles for a week.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 PM

Kodiac is the standard for durable, but heavy and expensive. The smaller 4 person is 55lbs, and the larger 6 person is 68. Itís on sale at Cabelas. The have massive (by tent standards) YKK zippers.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...5.uts?slotId=0
Old 05-22-2020, 5:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

They just redid their website - it used to have actual PHOTOS of their stuff - but your local Army/Navy surplus could be a good source of military-grade tenting & supplies.

^^^ Don't let the name fool ya' - they're MY local Army/Navy store of choice, but they're in the TOWN of California... PA.

Town even has a Cal U campus there!

Old 05-22-2020, 5:40 AM

Springbar at Kirkhams in Salt Lake City.
Old 05-22-2020, 7:10 AM

Would this be for backpacking or car camping?
Old 05-22-2020, 8:44 AM

Nemo
Old 05-22-2020, 6:52 PM

Hands down, the best tent out there is the Springbar. They are too heavy for backpacking, but are great for car camping and they are made in the USA.

Don't go for the ChiCom Kodiak knockoff...they may look like a Springbar but they are nowhere near the quality.
Old 05-25-2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Would this be for backpacking or car camping?
This is for car camping. But still, I pack so much other gear already I try to keep weight down. The Kodiak 4-person may be the best bet, even if the bigger one is cheaper right now.

War Wagon, I thought maybe something military surplus would work, but I would have to browse, so yeah it is too bad that store doesn't have pictures up.

Here's a cool story about tent longevity -- my great grandfather bought a used tent in the 1920s when he moved the family from NYC to LA. Back then regular people slept in city parks when they traveled across the country in their car. It was one of the canvas kinds with a big center pole. My grandfather inherited it and used it for every family camping trip until the 70s when he bought a trailer. Probably 50+ years service that old tent was good for.... I think the Chinese-made REI ones today last maybe 30 days of total use before the zippers start to go... certainly they are shot by 45 days total use.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depends on the style and use.
If you want high quality and light weight, look at Hilleberg.

Uf you want heavy and comfortable, look at Kodiak or springbar as mentioned above.
Love my Kodiak canvas but do like that springbar has USA made options as well as stove compatible options.
Old 05-26-2020, 2:09 AM

I have used Sprinbar tents for 30 years and have 3 now. In about 2007 on the upper Green River in WY it stood up to 40-50 mph winds. Rain and snow are no problem. Best car camping tent in the world as far as Iím concerned. I have 4 seasons backpack tents and wall tents for elk camp.
BUT
Sprinbar for the best car camping tent.
Old 05-26-2020, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

The Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent is my favorite tent. It comes in three sizes. I initially bought the 4 person tent, which is perfect for two people. After I got married and had a family, I bought the 8 person version, which is perfect for 3-4 people. It is fairly easy to set up in 10 minutes. It is free standing, so no need to stake down anything, unless you want to. Its rugged and the zippers have never failed me. If you are interested, I am selling my 8 person size tent. The family are no longer interested in camping. Just send me a PM with your email and I can send photos. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...6.uts?slotId=0
Old 05-26-2020, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Eureka Timberline Outfitter 4 tent that I purchased new in 1992 for $270 and have used the isht out of - it's still my go-to car camping tent. I replaced the fly last year due to UV degradation and need to send it in to them to have them replace the lower door/end panels due to UV damage. The zippers still work like new.

The Timberline Outfitter tents were what the Boy Scouts favored for years due to the strong construction - not sure if the current models are still as well-made or not. They still offer the TL4 and the larger TL6.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.