Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default New Year's Day, new gun day

What better way to ring in the new year than buying a new gun. FN PS90. My dealer JUST got this in and I've been searching for one for a while. Absolutely will have to do an SBR conversion on it. These things are fun as hell if you've never shot one. Direct blow back, bottom ejection, 100% ambi. 50 round magazines. Super short and well balanced even with the 16" bbl. I love bullpups and strange interesting weapons. Apparently the P90 is a go to with the US secret service.

P90 stands for "Project '90". Developed by FN in 1990 per NATO request for a PDW that would replace 9mm handguns for vehicle crews, support folks, aircrews and special ops.

Caliber- 5.7x28mm

Happy to finally add one to the reference library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nitroxdiver; 01-01-2018 at 12:13 PM..
Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Chop that barrel down
Old 01-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Chop that barrel down

That'll happen for sure, although I'll be doing the cmmg replacement bbl instead of cutting this one.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Nice congrats brutha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddindetroit View Post
I think you mean ProStaff on your ad and not Prostate- the male secretary organ that causes urinary obstruction in old age and make chymotrypsin to lyse seminal clots.

These are nice scopes - ProStaff that is; not the Prostate.

DD
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadre View Post
Nice congrats brutha.

Thanks buddy. Hope you have a fantastic 2018.

Old 01-01-2018, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That looks pretty nice. What caliber is that again?
Old 01-01-2018, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

If you guys ever find yourselves on vacation in a state that rents class 3 weapons, and they have a f/a P90 for rent, I HIGHLY recommend putting one on your menu. To me they are one of the funnest subguns to shoot, even with the funky progressive trigger.

Old 01-01-2018, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
That looks pretty nice. What caliber is that again?

5.7x28mm

2034 fps muzzle vel with this particular load.

Old 01-01-2018, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

Nice New Year kick off...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 01-01-2018, 2:43 PM

Sweet, I fired one (full auto) in a fam-fire when I was an LEO. Very cool gun.

My new years gun (actually picked it up on the 29th) was a factory fresh blued/wood 583 series Mini-14 to go with my Stainless 196 series. Not as sexy as yours, but I like it. (Before the haters chime in,,, I have half a dozen AR15s, AR180, AK and other martial arms...I just happen to really like the Mini.)

Old 01-01-2018, 6:42 PM

Right on! Congrats. You'll have to get a matching Five-seveN now lol.

Running drills with that would be super fun I bet....fast times due to almost zero recoil. What optic you gonna throw on there?
Old 01-01-2018, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Right on! Congrats. You'll have to get a matching Five-seveN now lol.

Running drills with that would be super fun I bet....fast times due to almost zero recoil. What optic you gonna throw on there?

I plan on getting a TROS aimpoint Mount and using it with an aimpoint pro. The TROS replaces the factory pic rail and sight and allows the aimpoint to mount lower. I do look forward to setting up some move and shoot bays with it, especially after itís sbríd. I do plan on eventually adding the 5.7 handgun as well. Have shot them a bunch too, but never bought one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Sweet, I fired one (full auto) in a fam-fire when I was an LEO. Very cool gun.

My new years gun (actually picked it up on the 29th) was a factory fresh blued/wood 583 series Mini-14 to go with my Stainless 196 series. Not as sexy as yours, but I like it. (Before the haters chime in,,, I have half a dozen AR15s, AR180, AK and other martial arms...I just happen to really like the Mini.)

Great looking mini my friend. Not a thing wrong with them, they are really fun. I think they have their own appeal. PS90ís are weird looking, but I like weird guns. I have itís bigger brother the FS2000 as well. I really wish I coulda gotten this one in green to match my 2000.

Old 01-02-2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Great looking mini my friend. Not a thing wrong with them, they are really fun. I think they have their own appeal. PS90’s are weird looking, but I like weird guns. I have it’s bigger brother the FS2000 as well. I really wish I coulda gotten this one in green to match my 2000.

Thank you. I'm 65, and still partial to old school. My Inland M1 Carbine and Costa Mesa AR180 are two of my favorite weapons, even though I have lots of newer stuff. The newer 580 series Ruger Mini-14 is like an M1 carbine with a hard on!

Back on topic, the P90 I fired was an amazing weapon. Felt recoil was zilch, and easy to keep on target, even in full auto. I like the FN 5.7 cartridge a lot more than the HK. 4.6 offering. I always thought the HK would be a better arm if it was in 5.7mm.

Colt even tried something similar in the 90s with their Colt MARS (Mini Assault Rifle System) with it 5.56x30mm round. They cut 1/2" out of a A1 upper and lower, and fabricated magazine from a 30 that making it 1/2" shorter front to rear. They used a M193 55 grain BT, though.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 01-02-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-02-2018, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

Jonnyt16, I changed my mind on the optic. I just found a new old stock black ringsight secret service sight. Thatís the proper optic for it so I bought it. The aimpoint would be better and I may switch it up later if I really get on with the little bugger, otherwise I will just keep the historically correct optic on it.

Old 01-02-2018, 9:09 PM

That's cool! I actually dig the looks of the original Ringsight for the P90. Old-school plus it appears to be more low profile than anything else you could put up there. Good job.
Old 01-02-2018, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's cool! I actually dig the looks of the original Ringsight for the P90. Old-school plus it appears to be more low profile than anything else you could put up there. Good job.

Thanks buddy. Iíll post up another pic once I get it in and installed. Iím gonna go run 100rds through it tomorrow with the included buis. Picked up two more 50 rd mags today at a little local mom and pop GS. They only had two and they were super cheap so I grabbed them.

Old 01-12-2018, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Jonny, got the ringsight black reticle USSS sight in and installed. As promised, here's a photo. The reticle actually appears bigger in the optic when shouldered and looking through the optic. The reduction in size is due to the way its photographed. Definitely about the lowest rise optic setup you can get on the ps90. It is metal, very rugged, tritium illuminated in darkness, and has rather crude windage and elevation adjustments. The whole sight body is moved within the frame rails, vs moving the reticle. Much like an elcan, just less precise or elegant. Happy with it and glad I went for the historically correct one for this rifle.
Happy shooting.

Old 01-12-2018, 4:34 PM

Man now that is cool! Looks really good dude. Yeah that was a good choice going with the Ringsight. It just looks like it belongs on there a lot more than an Aimpoint or anything else. How hard was it to find one? Time to go have some fun with that thing now eh!

Random cool photo of some commandos with P90's. Argentinian Marines I believe. Enjoy!

Old 01-12-2018, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks buddy. That's an awesome picture. Maybe I'll try and recreate it this summer in my pool! I don't think ring sight makes these anymore, and FN ships all the new p90's and ps90's with the rail option. I found a dealer that's big into FN stuff and he had some new old stock ones for 299 which is an incredible price. Here's a pic of me with a rental full auto p90 last week at my local range. You can see how much higher the optic is mounted on the new rail vs the ringsight. P90 with a fun switch is awesome btw. Take care!