Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default No confirmation of transfer from DOJ

Just after Thanksgiving (so 11/2017) I filled out the OpLaw form for Intra-familial Firearm Transfer form to transfer about 5 long guns from my father to myself. I mailed it that weekend, along with a $19 check. Although I didn't make a photocopy of the form I filled out by hand (which I'm now regretting), I'm fairly certain I completed it properly.

I've been waiting to actually take possession of the weapons until I get DOJ confirmation that they acknowledge the transfer has occurred and I am good to go. I know I didn't have to wait, but I just want to play it safe, plus I'm in no rush. I highly doubt that I would be denied in taking possession, since I had done a Federal records request (Livescan), followed by a CA PFEC which confirmed that I am eligible to both purchase and possess firearms, and this was at most a month before I sent in the form (have had no incidents with LE since then, except a warning with no ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign).

One caveat is that I didn't have $19 in my checking account when they cashed the check (don't ask) and it withdrew the $19 anyway, plus a $34 overdraft fee. This happened on December 7, which means that they cashed my check over a month ago. Is there any chance the insufficient funds caused an issue? I wouldn't think so since the money got taken out of my account anyway.

Part of me is thinking they're super backed up because of everyone scrambling to register their AWs. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Any help is much appreciated!

TL;DR DOJ cashed a check for a OpLaw transfer on 12/7/2017 and I have yet to receive a letter confirmation. Is there a way other than just waiting that I can get a confirmation that I'm good to go ?

-Immortal Technique

Last edited by SFgiants105; 01-09-2018 at 4:41 PM..
Old 01-09-2018, 4:54 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you want the acknowledgement, you just have to wait.

But the paperwork documents an action already taken. Your obligation is to properly submit the info and fee; once you drop it in the mailbox, you have met the requirement.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-09-2018, 5:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Okay thanks!

-Immortal Technique

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It could be 100 days to receive those confirmation letters. One will arrive for each individual gun.

Be well
Bob.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-12-2018, 5:57 AM
retired Goon

Typically takes 3-4 months (after the check is cashed) for the CA DOJ confirmation letter to arrive.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-12-2018, 2:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Typically takes 3-4 months (after the check is cashed) for the CA DOJ confirmation letter to arrive.
Good to know. I've been checking the mailbox everyday hoping it will arrive. I'll stop holding my breath then

-Immortal Technique