Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-12-2017, 9:43 AM

"Despite last week's fanfare, any Senate vote on concealed carry is not expected until next spring, sources said Monday."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ate-fight.html
Old 12-12-2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit31 View Post
"Despite last week's fanfare, any Senate vote on concealed carry is not expected until next spring, sources said Monday."

Cornyn wants to split off NICSfix from the reciprocity bill, which to my mind is the only leverage there is to get some democrats to vote for it. OBVIOUSLY there is bipartisan support for NICSfix--it is something the democrats want. So we should get back something in return. But splitting them allows the dems to get what they want and then pile on to defeat reciprocity. Plus delaying any vote until spring sounds like a way to sweep it under the rug. Sadly, I am not optimistic.
Old 12-13-2017, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Cornyn wants to split off NICSfix from the reciprocity bill, which to my mind is the only leverage there is to get some democrats to vote for it. OBVIOUSLY there is bipartisan support for NICSfix--it is something the democrats want. So we should get back something in return. But splitting them allows the dems to get what they want and then pile on to defeat reciprocity. Plus delaying any vote until spring sounds like a way to sweep it under the rug. Sadly, I am not optimistic.
Which is EXACLY why they merged them together..in which by the way was a very smart move. The members of calguns have been saying time and time again that repicosity would not pass as a stand alone bill, that it would have to be attached to a bill the dems really want. WELL....HERE IT IS!!!!! They know it and they`re pissed off. Cornyn is raging against it because his bill didn`t get any support and this one did..in other words his pompous *** is not in the limelight. The NRA supports the merge. The dems are between a rock and a hard place right now. They can`t have thier cake and eat it too. This is the true test and people on calguns need to support the merge of the two bills. Also I`ve read the bill...This merge needed to be done.

Last edited by stag6.8; 12-13-2017 at 6:35 AM..
Old 12-13-2017, 8:07 AM

Quote:

But how would that make any sense, since it would be a new legislative year and the momentum from the passage of the house bill would be gone. AND, the house would have to pass the bill again.

Or am I missing something?

-Cee
Old 12-13-2017, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Yeah, I dont get splitting them off at all as the NICS is an alternative reason for voting yes on the bill.

Odd.
Old 12-13-2017, 8:22 AM

Each US Congress is TWO years; the current 115th Congress is in session until Jan 2019. There are no bill deadlines associated with the end of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedubG View Post
But how would that make any sense, since it would be a new legislative year and the momentum from the passage of the house bill would be gone. AND, the house would have to pass the bill again.

-Cee
Old 12-13-2017, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Each US Congress is TWO years; the current 115th Congress is in session until Jan 2019. There are no bill deadlines associated with the end of this year.
Ahhhhh guess I was missing something Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedubG View Post

-Cee
Congress does 2-year sessions, in this case Jan 3, 2017 through Jan 3, 2019; other than the end of session, Congress has no legislative deadlines.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Updated the vote prediction spreadsheet. We'll be lucky to get 57 votes.

I don't expect Jones will go for this. The Dems don't expect him to win in 2020, so they'll sacrifice him and have him go hard-left. Especially on gun bills.

Focus on 2018. VOTE IN YOUR PRIMARIES. Carefully select pro-gun Republicans who can actually win elections, please.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
SAF Committee of One Thousand
Old 12-13-2017, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post

I don't expect Jones will go for this. The Dems don't expect him to win in 2020, so they'll sacrifice him and have him go hard-left. Especially on gun bills.

Focus on 2018. VOTE IN YOUR PRIMARIES. Carefully select pro-gun Republicans who can actually win elections, please.
Excellent sheet. My own guess is 55, 2 wavering, and 58 max. This is just not going to happen UNLESS we throw the Dems a bone. DACA maybe. Since the vast majority of Americans believe in fixing it anyway. Quid pro quo.
Old 12-13-2017, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

California's gun owners seems to vote anti gun.
Old 12-24-2017, 9:22 AM

With the latest news proving once again that the governor and democrats care more about illegal alien criminals than they do about the safety of law abiding citizens, the NRA needs to get the Senate to put this up for a vote immediately.

The Republicans need to pass reciprocity any way they have to, since we have a unlawful governor and his party that are taking steps to endanger the people that live in this state.

http://thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12/...g-deportation/
Old 12-24-2017, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
With the latest news proving once again that the governor and democrats care more about illegal alien criminals than they do about the safety of law abiding citizens, the NRA needs to get the Senate to put this up for a vote immediately.

The Republicans need to pass reciprocity any way they have to, since we have a unlawful governor and his party that are taking steps to endanger the people that live in this state.

Unreal, but not surprised. Just read LA got police funding denied. It is a start.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...orcement-cash/
Old 12-24-2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leel View Post
Unreal, but not surprised. Just read LA got police funding denied. It is a start.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...orcement-cash/

Same article says that they committed $10 million to fund legal challenges for illegal immigrants — so they obviously don’t need the money anyway — they just need to get their priorities straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!
Old 12-24-2017, 8:21 PM

In the other, now closed, thread gerrymandering was mentioned. I am concerned that the consensus of a majority of the nation could care less about California (and a couple other states). The pulse of the nation appears that a shift is nigh. A new census is very near. Should the proposals have a chance action needs to be taken on soon. It would not be surprising that the mid-term and '20 elections may not be conducive to legislation moving forward, or being approved. Seems to me there is but a few months to take action.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngun View Post
In the other, now closed, thread gerrymandering was mentioned. I am concerned that the consensus of a majority of the nation could care less about California (and a couple other states). The pulse of the nation appears that a shift is nigh. A new census is very near. Should the proposals have a chance action needs to be taken on soon. It would not be surprising that the mid-term and '20 elections may not be conducive to legislation moving forward, or being approved. Seems to me there is but a few months to take action.
Exactly. Window of action is closing. Where is the Senate?!?!?
Old 12-25-2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
There is a lot of confusion on this issue, which is partially due to the explanations given by the Bill's author. But, as others have pointed out, the language of the Bill supports the contention that a permit or license from any state will suffice. But, and this is a big but, we will have to see what, if anything, comes out of the Senate. This is where some NRA mussel could help.

At this time, I think that the best we can do is to try to convince Mitch McConnell to invoke the nuclear option if the Dems try to filibuster. It is long past time to drive the final nail into the filibuster's coffin, given that politics have become so divisive. I would not say this if I was convinced that the Dems would do this the very next time the gained a majority. This is war and the sole goal should be to win. So why wait for the next POTUS nomination to the SCOTUS to put an end to the filibuster? What can be gained by waiting? All of us know that the nuclear option will be needed for all of Trumps nominations to the SCOTUS, so why not simply kill the filibuster now so that we can get all pro 2A legislation through while we have the majority to do so?
This has been debated many times, some of us believe the wording would not support out-of-state permits, and some think it would. The way I look at it is that if there is any wiggle room at all - how is California going to decide? Against the 2nd amendment of course. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I still don't understand why it would be worded so poorly unless it was worded this way to screw us?

It is probably a mute point anyway because the Senate Republicans don't have the balls to do what they would need to do to get enough Democrats on board to get the 60 votes needed for cloture.
Old 12-27-2017, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
This has been debated many times, some of us believe the wording would not support out-of-state permits, and some think it would. The way I look at it is that if there is any wiggle room at all - how is California going to decide? Against the 2nd amendment of course. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I still don't understand why it would be worded so poorly unless it was worded this way to screw us?

It is probably a mute point anyway because the Senate Republicans don't have the balls to do what they would need to do to get enough Democrats on board to get the 60 votes needed for cloture.
From what I understand, it makes detaining someone on the basis of a handgun to be illegal. So I think the argument is moot.
Old 12-27-2017, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

The chicken littles over at the SJ Mercury News are having a hissie fit at the idea of national reciprocity becoming law.

They'd even prefer to sink FixNICS if that's what it takes to stop reciprocity.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/...nder-gop-bill/

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2018 at 5:04 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Senate is back. Let’s see if something nice happens.

-Clint Smith
Old 01-03-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline View Post
As already mentioned, when the House bill passed, insiders said not to expect any Senate movement until Spring. The next month or two will be all about budgets and infrastructure.
Old 01-03-2018, 7:05 PM

Mods please move this if need be. Thanks.

My question is this.
IF the bill passes and CCW is accepted nation wide and my Idaho Enhanced CCW is good, will I be able to carry an Off Roster firearm acquired in Idaho for the duration of my visit in California?
I understand it will depend on any new regs they throw out to counter this.
Old 01-04-2018, 9:04 AM

This has already been answered. Yes. The roster has ZERO to do with what people carry. Only what they can BUY from an FFL in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstoolman1 View Post
Mods please move this if need be. Thanks.

My question is this.
IF the bill passes and CCW is accepted nation wide and my Idaho Enhanced CCW is good, will I be able to carry an Off Roster firearm acquired in Idaho for the duration of my visit in California?
I understand it will depend on any new regs they throw out to counter this.

Last edited by mit31; 01-04-2018 at 9:11 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline View Post
This bill will not pass as written. Expect it to be gutted by the senate. Of course the "Fix NICS" will stay.

I'll be happy to eat these words if I'm wrong, but I'm not. We will not get what we want from this.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 01-08-2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
This bill will not pass as written. Expect it to be gutted by the senate. Of course the "Fix NICS" will stay.

I'll be happy to eat these words if I'm wrong, but I'm not. We will not get what we want from this.

The Senate will gut it and pass it. Then it'll go to reconciliation before being voted on again in the house. And round and round until the final bill is approved by both houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Good overview of the "moving pieces" involved with national reciprocity in the Senate:
http://www.macon.com/opinion/readers...193916549.html

Old 01-12-2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Good overview of the "moving pieces" involved with national reciprocity in the Senate:
http://www.macon.com/opinion/readers...193916549.html
The "moving pieces" I am most concerned about are Cornyn and McConnell. McConnell will be the one who will decide if it ever hits the floor, and Cornyn may try to kill the House bill so that he can take the credit for the passage of his pet Senate bill. Further, the House bill offers the carrot of NICSFix in exchange for passage, while Cornyn wants to split the two bills, a plan that may sabotage any possibility of passage. If they are split, Democrats NICSFix for nothing and can vote against or maybe just block through filibuster, but unless they drop a filibuster of the House joined bill, they get neither. Then again, they may not care; if NICSFix doesn't pass in one form or another, it will be used as campaign fodder against Republicans.
Old 01-13-2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post

I think any Dems in trouble will vote for it as long as it doesn't pass. Jones voting against it will ensure he's out in 2 years.
Old 01-13-2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post

Sounds like it may get a vote right before the 2018 elections for maximum effect.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If so it could be the last vote for Ed Royce and Darrell Issa.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaJoel View Post
It's called pulling a fast one on gun owners. Everyone needs to read the above article completely !!

To recap, what are some clues that you should be concerned with the fix-NICS bill?

(1) The first sentence after the title of the bill reads “Section 103 of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (34 U.S.C. 40901) is amended…”

(2) Senators Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer are cosponsors in the Senate. This is a big warning sign!

(3) It’s being rammed through, without a hearing, in a very nontransparent process, and it will be passed by attaching it to the popular concealed carry reciprocity bill which already has enough votes to pass on its own.

(4) It spends over half a billion dollars to collect more names to include in a list of people who will never be allowed to own a firearm.

(5) It compels administrative agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate (Away) your second amendment rights.

BUMP
that's my take also....screw feind steen and thompson!!! both never found an anti gun law they would not vote for.

Last edited by clb; 01-13-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 8:31 AM

As has already been addressed, your "take" as quoted from GrampaJoel is based 100% on emotion and 0% on what the text of the bill actually says and does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
BUMP
that's my take also....screw feind steen and thompson!!! both never found an anti gun law they would not vote for.
Old 01-15-2018, 9:18 AM

True!

I hope that the tide goes our way and the country wins NOT the politicians.
Ever met these two?
Thompson I have talked eye to eye with as he claims to be a hunter, then votes against gun rights.
Called him on it....
Got a song and a dance.
I will forgo comments on her.

Mods... if I'm outta line dump my replies please.
Old 01-24-2018, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Breitbart keeps the focus and heat on McConnell:

Quote:
Mitch McConnell Ignores National Reciprocity for 46 Consecutive Weeks

It is January 23, 2018, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has ignored national reciprocity for 46 consecutive weeks.

Breitbart News reported that national reciprocity was introduced in the Senate on March 1, 2017, but McConnell has yet to say a word about it in public.
More at: http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...cutive-week-2/

Old 01-25-2018, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The silence from Mitch tells us everything we need to know.

Swamp creatures have learned to play the base for support even if they never get anything.

"Elect/re-elect us and we promise to get it done NEXT TIME".

The dems gave played their minority base like that for 50 years.
Old 01-25-2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
As has already been addressed, your "take" as quoted from GrampaJoel is based 100% on emotion and 0% on what the text of the bill actually says and does.
Agreed. The Senate NICSFix bill is not attached to Cornyn's national reciprocity bill, and Cornyn thinks they should be considered separately. As far as I can tell, there are not enough votes to get Cornyn's (or the House) bill past a filibuster, so it isn't exactly "widely popular" in the Senate. As others have posted, McConnell is in no hurry whatsoever to get either bill to a vote, and since he hasn't even mentioned it, we don't know if that is because he has made the political calculation that it doesn't have enough votes to pass (and would be a major blow if it failed) or he just doesn't think there should be national reciprocity. Who knows.
Old 01-25-2018, 5:00 PM

When the house bill passed last year it was openly stated that this bill would not come up for a Senate vote until the Spring. I don't know why anyone is acting surprised or upset since this is still January.
Old 01-26-2018, 7:59 PM

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJQTiGe3uc

Take it with a grain of salt if you will.

This Millennial is woke.

Continuously learning...

Official Firearms Policy Coalition member
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/
Old 01-26-2018, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Pulse View Post
Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJQTiGe3uc

Take it with a grain of salt if you will.
Thanks. See the article linked in my post #228 above for what I think. tl;dr there are a lot of "moving pieces", so it is difficult to predict what will happen to nat'l recip this year. IMO, even Trump's behavior or popularity may factor into what the Senate does or doesn't do. I've still got another 6.25 years on my FL CCW, so I'm good regardless. Won't have to apply with the rush should it pass this year or next (assuming antis don't gain ground in the Nov election).

Here's your video embedded. Notice how he predicts the vote won't be until Oct, the month before the elections....

Last edited by Paladin; 01-26-2018 at 8:30 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

60 Minutes is doing a segment this Sunday on the bill.