Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Default I think I'm hooked on shooting Clay pigeons ...

I have my brother-in-law in town and we usually do a bunch of shooting when around. I recently purchased a Franchi Affinity 12 about 6 months ago and only shot it a handful of times. The two of us haven't shot together since I got it.

It became the star of the show this week. We just got back from our 3rd time out. Turned into a friendly competition. I have never been very good with shotguns till this one. We're using a hand thrower and only throwing straight but man I think I figured this out. I almost hit every clay thrown and I can't wait to go again.

I want to go somewhere to get some pointers and to try some of the different games out there.

I finally get what everyone is about over here...
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Calguns Addict

You need to go to Sac Valley.
Old 07-21-2017, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

You ought to dress them out and put them on the BBQ, crunchy, but with hot sauce they will be fine, lol.

When I go up to the mountains we shoot clay, I like it.
Old 07-21-2017, 1:29 PM

I may hit up Sac Valle. The Cordova shooting center is fairly close to me, may check them out. I'm in Shingle Springs though. I need to see if my neighbor is willing to take me to his club in El Dorado, I think they do shotguns.

I still need to change the spacer on the stock to get a perfect cheek weld. Definitely more fun than I expected. I've never wanted to put the pistols down to shoot something else, lol. My brother-in-law is from San Diego. I think he is picking up a new barrel for his 500. We're a bit competitive, lol...
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 07-21-2017, 3:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post
I think I'm hooked on shooting Clay pigeons ..
How do they taste? please report.

You know, you can go and shoot real pigeons, quail, rabbits instead of child's games HeHeHe
Old 07-21-2017, 3:44 PM

If your ok with driving to Auburn, go to the Auburn Trap range. They do free lessons, just call ahead to schedule. Trap fields are open Thursday afternoon/evenings & Saturday/Sunday til 3pm. They also have 5-stand open on Thursday afternoon's & Saturday's.
Or, drive down to Comanche Hills in Ione. They do lessons and have Trap, 5-stand, & Sporting Clays.
Old 07-21-2017, 3:53 PM

The reason I got the gun was for hunting. I grew up on a farm and my father raised ringneck pheasants. Most of my childhood all I ate was their meat and eggs. The clays are fun. If I can't hit them well enough it doesn't make sense to go after the real birds. I'm planning on filling the freezer next year if all goes as planned...
~George Washington~
Old 07-21-2017, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I've never been to Camanche but have heard good things. I typically go to sac valley. 5 stand is what I prefer because I hunt birds.
Old 07-21-2017, 4:44 PM

Shingle Springs; probably right around the corner from you.

Takes me almost same time Sac Valley or Cordova. I like Sac Valley best; am member there. Like shooting clays, rifle and pistol there.

Comanche Hills is a lot of fun; they have sporting clays there. Only been a couple times, but it was a ton of fun. They trap skeet etc too. Takes me a little less than an hour from Ponderosa and Motherlode...

El Dorado Rod and Gun is a nice club, but they have odd hours. Check their website calendar before you go out; they have a "different" schedule.

Quote:
I may hit up Sac Valle. The Cordova shooting center is fairly close to me, may check them out. I'm in Shingle Springs though. I need to see if my neighbor is willing to take me to his club in El Dorado, I think they do shotguns.
Old 07-21-2017, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Flying reactive targets are fun ain't they?

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 07-21-2017, 9:24 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Shooting Trap & Sporting Clays is so much fun. I do it as often as I can.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

I'm getting in to it now myself too, I need to invest in a couple new shotguns... All in time

Last edited by etwinam; 07-22-2017 at 9:31 PM..
Old 07-22-2017, 3:22 PM

Good on ya for discovering just how much fun you can have standing up.
Old 07-22-2017, 4:20 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

Better hope not too hooked , can get expensive
Old 07-22-2017, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I need to invest in a couple news shotguns...
What's a "news" shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMG View Post
Better hope not too hooked , can get expensive
It can get very expensive
Old 07-22-2017, 8:28 PM

It can't get more expensive than what I'm willing to spend and as long as Walmart sells 100 shells for $20 and 90 clays for $6 I'm good, lol. I've been stockpiling both.

I've wanted a MEC shotshell reloader. Ill worry about that when next year when the new regs start getting in the way. I see a thrower in my future purchases too but there are reasonable options and till then my kids will do...

Oh....... Expensive....... Hahahaha!
~George Washington~
Old 07-22-2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
The reason I got the gun was for hunting. I grew up on a farm and my father raised ringneck pheasants. Most of my childhood all I ate was their meat and eggs. The clays are fun. If I can't hit them well enough it doesn't make sense to go after the real birds. I'm planning on filling the freezer next year if all goes as planned...
I don't want to sound like a bummer, glad your enjoying clays. glad your smashing then from hand thrower. make a point to go shoot trap or sporting clays they move a Little faster, will help you establish your leads. get your hunting class done get out and shoot some dove on opener. then watch them fast flying targets change direction on you, lol. still a blast. don't get frustrated just stick with it. when you clip your first dove and watch it helicopter down youll definatally get hooked. then get ready to open your wallet.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:17 AM

Hahaha, I know clay doesn't equal meet in the fridge. I've had a license in the past just never did any bird hunts. Like I said, I'll be getting a double thrower for fun. I'm trying to talk my wife into trying a 20ga. She is very competitive and loves to shoot pistols. It would give us something to have fun with.

I think having a wife who gets hooked has more potential for being expensive than the occasional hunt I'd be willing to do. You should see her decorative purse and shoe collection, lol...
~George Washington~

Last edited by Dellinger; 07-23-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Old 07-23-2017, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It can't get more expensive than what I'm willing to spend and as long as Walmart sells 100 shells for $20 and 90 clays for $6 I'm good, lol. I've been stockpiling both.
That is the inexpensive route, and it can be a lot of fun.
Now if you want to challenge yourself Sporting, 5-Stand, Skeet and Trap are the way to do it. It takes a lot of practice and dedication, lessons help as well, to get proficient...This is when it starts to get expensive. You will get to the point where hand thrown clays aren't a challenge anymore and you'll want more.
I still have a hand thrower and a few cases of clays, they have been sitting in a closet for years...It's no longer a challenge.

It's an addiction, and it will get worse...
Old 07-23-2017, 9:00 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
It's an addiction, and it will get worse...
truer words have never been spoken....
Old 07-23-2017, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm trying to talk my wife into trying a 20ga. She is very competitive and loves to shoot pistols. It would give us something to have fun with.

I think having a wife who gets hooked has more potential for being expensive than the occasional hunt I'd be willing to do. You should see her decorative purse and shoe collection, lol...
I shoot trap with my wife 2 to 3 times a week, I can tell you YES, it will be expensive. It will start off fairly cheap since you really need only a shotgun and some shells, then pay for the targets when shooting trap.

As you and your wife advance in skill and addiction (hah!), more and more accessories will find their way into your collection; shooting glasses, vest, hull collection pouch, clip on towel, gun customization, hat, sun sleeves, sun screen, additional chokes (I don't do this but many do), Mojo pick stick (for collecting hulls easily), sports drink mix, reloader and gloves etc.

However, it is really fun and I won't have it any other way. I think having a shared hobby for a couple is priceless.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I've wanted a MEC shotshell reloader. Ill worry about that when next year when the new regs start getting in the way. I see a thrower in my future purchases too but there are reasonable options and till then my kids will do...

Oh....... Expensive....... Hahahaha!
Yup. You get to decide how much you "invest".

I shot for decades with 1 shotgun and a Trius trap thrower and occassional range trips. As places to set up the thrower became further away, and time more precious than $$$, commercial ranges became the norm.

FWIW, it's hard to save much in 12g and 20g target loads. Of course with mail order gone, the options will get limited but I suspect Dick's will still have sales on Rem Gun Clubs, Wally's that sell ammo will continue to sell ammo, Winchester and Rem will still have annual rebates, etc. I shoot very little commercial ammo and with buying in bulk I can still save a bit and load what I want.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 07-23-2017 at 10:33 AM..
Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

Then the wife wants in and then the kid and what you thought was expensive at first turns out to be cheap by the end of it
Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
<snip>

However, it is really fun and I won't have it any other way. I think having a shared hobby for a couple is priceless.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, I know clay doesn't equal meet in the fridge. I've had a license in the past just never did any bird hunts. Like I said, I'll be getting a double thrower for fun. I'm trying to talk my wife into trying a 20ga. She is very competitive and loves to shoot pistols. It would give us something to have fun with.

my wife shoots a 20 ga. Im shooting all 20 ga on upland this year. easier on a old shoulder, and lighter on a old back.
for sure get your wife shooting clays, hunting......lol, leave her at home. my wife wants to shoot birds about once a year (usually just dog training) the leaving at 3 am turns her off, and she knows i won't wait.
see she has her purses and shoes, you can have hunting.
it's rewarding though, we are still eating game from last season. got 2 chukar and 2 pheasant from dog training this morning in the crock pot now.
that being said, i don't know one hunter who comes out ahead shooting his own meat, lol. those 4 birds probably cost me $150 somewhere along the way. I FINALLY got to the point she doesn't ask anymore, it's probably better that way.

Last edited by jbk; 07-23-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 PM

I was thinking the same about the hunting with her. She would need a new pair of shoes and I don't know if a game bag and a purse are similar enough to satisfy her true love. Wait her true love is the hunt, I mean shop, hahaha!

Ha, hunting with my wife. I love her and all but she'll ***** and moan enough to scare off any game. No fun...

I'll be happy to get her shooting clays. As much as I would like to hunt I think I would be happy with a good mechanical thrower or 2. I already get up at 3-4 for work every day. Laziness is strong in this one..

Everything gets expensive, I've taken 2 family trips to Front Sight Nevada with wife and kids. Great times.

Recently I've wanted to get "her" stuff to enjoy the activities more. She enjoys pistols and even classes. I have the guns and gear I'm satisfied with. I want her to have the same. More enjoyable when you pick up a familiar friend and not a loaner with a learning curve. I want to get her fitted for a 20ga autoloader that won't break the bank and shoots soft enough to keep her encouraged.

This is a funny sub group, thanks for all the wisdom and laughs.
~George Washington~
Old 07-23-2017, 1:46 PM

The action pistol ranges at Sac Valley are a ton of fun. Working from holster, engaging multiple targets etc. My wife has done it a few times and enjoys it.

Quote:
Recently I've wanted to get "her" stuff to enjoy the activities more. She enjoys pistols and even classes.
Old 07-23-2017, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ha, hunting with my wife. I love her and all but she'll ***** and moan enough to scare off any game. No fun...
Like this couple?

Old 07-23-2017, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was thinking the same about the hunting with her. She would need a new pair of shoes and I don't know if a game bag and a purse are similar enough to satisfy her true love. Wait her true love is the hunt, I mean shop, hahaha!

I'll be happy to get her shooting clays. As much as I would like to hunt I think I would be happy with a good mechanical thrower or 2. I already get up at 3-4 for work every day. Laziness is strong in this one..

Everything gets expensive, I've taken 2 family trips to Front Sight Nevada with wife and kids. Great times.

Recently I've wanted to get "her" stuff to enjoy the activities more. She enjoys pistols and even classes. I have the guns and gear I'm satisfied with. I want her to have the same. More enjoyable when you pick up a familiar friend and not a loaner with a learning curve. I want to get her fitted for a 20ga autoloader that won't break the bank and shoots soft enough to keep her encouraged.

This is a funny sub group, thanks for all the wisdom and laughs.
"20ga autoloader that won't break the bank."
Mossberg SA-20
Weatherby SA-08[20ga]
TriStar Viper G2
These are excellent shotguns for what you may be looking at for your wife.
All available at "budsgunshop.com". Take a look.
Old 07-24-2017, 8:05 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

90 clays at WalMart for $5.95.

Buy a bunch and have fun.

Oh, and a Remington 1100 20ga is perfect.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 07-24-2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Yes sir!
Old 07-25-2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post

Buy a bunch and have fun.

Oh, and a Remington 1100 20ga is perfect.
Thanks for the shotgun recommendation. I just picked up another 500 cartridges at the local Walmart. I need to stock up on clays next. Still have 5 boxes.

As cheap as ammo and Clay is you can still go broke. Last week I went through 2 boxes of clays and 300 cartridges.
~George Washington~
Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 AM

I went to the Cordova Shooting Center yesterday for the first time. You all were correct about hand thrower being a different ball game.

I paid for 4 coins = 100 clays. Out of the first 25 I missed all but 4. The thrower was behind a wood doghouse 15' in front of the 5 shooting positions. You guys know that.

Second and 3rd round was better but only hit 8 and then 10.

My last try I stood at the skeet box right next to the thrower. I hit 24 out of 25. It was fun.

I had a modified choke in the barrel and was using 7 1/2 and 8 shot. It was like the extra distance from the correct shooting positions and my reaction time made hitting harder.

I also changed out the modified choke to a full for the next time.

Can't wait to go again...
~George Washington~
Old 07-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

You should try Sporting Clays, where every station has multiple presentations...

It's an addiction, it will get worse.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
You should try Sporting Clays, where every station has multiple presentations...

It's an addiction, it will get worse.
5-Stand as well!

Taking a lesson will help.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
5-Stand as well!

Taking a lesson will help.
+1 on the lessons, it's best not to develop bad habits...Much easier than breaking them later.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to schedule another lesson
Old 07-30-2017, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
How do they taste? please report.

You know, you can go and shoot real pigeons, quail, rabbits instead of child's games HeHeHe

Just like chicken if you use a lot of gravy!
Old 07-30-2017, 6:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ha, hunting with my wife. I love her and ..... she'll ***** and moan ...
Holly Molly!!! What are you talking about, man!!!
If my wife wants to "**** and moan" i'll skip hunting! And she will not need any shoes, purse, or any closing for this activity..
Old 07-30-2017, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the shotgun recommendation. I just picked up another 500 cartridges at the local Walmart. I need to stock up on clays next. Still have 5 boxes.

As cheap as ammo and Clay is you can still go broke. Last week I went through 2 boxes of clays and 300 cartridges.
Wait till you try sporting clays.