Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-17-2013, 9:10 AM

Default Help with surround sound system.

There is a surround-sound system installed at my house, but I have never used it because I am not at all familiar with how to connect it to my tv or dvd player or whatever.

I don't know if cords need to be connected to all the outlets, or only some are necessary, or what. If someone could take tell what sort of adapters this outlet needs and maybe how to connect to a tv or dvd player, I would greatly appreciate it!

John 3:16

Last edited by newglockster; 08-17-2013 at 9:53 AM..
Old 08-17-2013, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

the 4 on each bottom are speaker banana plug connections.
the two on top on the left COULD be composite video to the TV or subwoofer or ???
the two on the right COULD be satelite or cable or subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 08-17-2013, 9:18 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

I am assuming those are the plugs behind the TV. What about the images of the plugs on the wall where the surrounds are coming out of?

Top four plugs of course are RCA, bottom 8 banana plugs ? But not enough info given to know where are your mains, sub, and surrounds going.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

do you have speakers in the walls or ceiling? Or do you have blank covers somewhere on the wall or ceiling? When it comes to surround sound it usually has nothing to do with your tv and its connections.

The subwoofer connection is usually on the opposite wall of the plugs you show.

Quote:
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
I am assuming those are the plugs behind the TV. What about the images of the plugs on the wall where the surrounds are coming out of?

Top four plugs of course are RCA, bottom 8 banana plugs ? But not enough info given to know where are your mains, sub, and surrounds going.
I dont think thats behind his TV.

Quote:

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:22 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

The main channels (bottom two, left & right sides) are binding posts for banana plugs.
These are especially useful if you need to unplug your receiver quickly/regularly for cleaning and what not.

You need to pick up a set of banana plugs for the wires that lead from your receiver to the binding plugs.

You can pick those up just about anywhere, although depending on how much of an audiophile you are depends on the type of connectors you ultimately choose. I just grabbed a couple packs from frys.

I believe the top two, left side are for the woofer, and the top two right side is a coaxial plug, probably for cable.

I ideally they should be labeled to the corresponding speaker location. Once you figure it out i’d recommend using a brother P-touch label maker to label them.

Hope that helps.

-------
Old 08-17-2013, 9:23 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
I dont think thats behind his TV.

oh, so those are the output outlets and not input? if that is the case, it would help to see the input outlets too.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:25 AM

The speakers are installed in the walls around the room. I am not sure if these are output or input speakers, although I was assuming input.

Also, I could not find any other plugs or outlets anywhere in the house that seemed related to the system.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
oh, so those are the output outlets and not input? if that is the case, it would help to see the input outlets too.
NO they are inputs (kinda) top are inputs OR maybe outputs and the banana speaker posts are well INPUTS-the speakers.

You dont need banana "PLUGS" you can just unscrew that "POST" and there is a hole in the middle of the "STEM of the "POST" that the 16-14guage wire will fit through.

You will need a TONE GENERATOR to test what wire (post) goes to which speaker.

Quote:

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:27 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

ah, so these are for in-wall installation. How many speakers do you have total in the walls?
Old 08-17-2013, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newglockster View Post
The speakers are installed in the walls around the room. I am not sure if these are output or input speakers, although I was assuming input.

Also, I could not find any other plugs or outlets anywhere in the house that seemed related to the system.
In that case like I said above, need a tone generator https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...a&channel=fflb
to figure out which is which OR process of elimination with your amp/receiver.

the other ones will have to be traced with a continuity tester. Maybe they are cable and/or composite video and/or another form of connection that can utilize a RCA plug.

Quote:

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:32 AM

Maybe 6 or so speakers.

Ok, I might be in over my head. It seems that I would need a surround sound receiver as well? I naively thought that I could just plug in my tv to the outlets and have awesome sounds reverberating through my house!
Old 08-17-2013, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ah, so these are for in-wall installation. How many speakers do you have total in the walls?
looks like fronts and rears and the center channel was not in the wall but free standing.

Quote:

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Maybe 6 or so speakers.

Ok, I might be in over my head. It seems that I would need a surround sound receiver as well? I naively thought that I could just plug in my tv to the outlets and have awesome sounds reverberating through my house! :D
aaahhhh, NO.

Quote:

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:41 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Maybe 6 or so speakers.

Ok, I might be in over my head. It seems that I would need a surround sound receiver as well? I naively thought that I could just plug in my tv to the outlets and have awesome sounds reverberating through my house!
As Yugo stated , nope! You need a surround sound receiver. TV's won't have an active powered signal coming out of their output, so it won't power the in-wall receivers. Do an exact count of the speakers in the wall, and are they all the same size speakers?

I usually wouldn't feed an active powered signal via a RCA plug, so I would be surprised if the RCA went to a speaker expecting a speaker level signal.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As Yugo stated , nope! You need a surround sound receiver. TV's won't have an active powered signal coming out of their output, so it won't power the in-wall receivers. Do an exact count of the speakers in the wall, and are they all the same size speakers?

I usually wouldn't feed an active powered signal via a RCA plug, so I would be surprised if the RCA went to a speaker expecting a speaker level signal.
I think you just lost him.

Quote:

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 9:49 AM

I am not at home right now, and I don't remember the exact number of speakers, but I think they are all the same size.

I don't really want to purchase a surround sound receiver at this time, so I guess I will have to hold off on this project.

Thanks to everyone for your input!
Old 08-17-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
I think you just lost him.
Lol, I guess awesome sounds are harder to get then I thought