Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
You guys are nuts. There is no way a pro CCW announcement is a good thing in Santa Clara county! He would lose thousands of votes he may otherwise get with such an announcement.
No, you are delusional. As I pointed out in post #721 above you were wrong about your claim that Santa Clara (24% more Dems than Repubs) was the 3rd most liberal county in the state, when in fact it is virtually tied with Napa (23% more Dems than Repubs) as the MOST CONSERVATIVE county of the 9 SFBA counties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...r_registration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_C...r_registration

Now, let's see how Essick won in Sonoma Co, which is even more liberal with 30% more Dems than Repubs. Essick, apparently recently switched from Repub to Dem (like Hirokawa) said "I am not a progressive, I'm a moderate Democrat" (55 min in) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma...ion_statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I came across a 1 hour Q&A for the Sonoma Co SO candidates by the Santa Rosa Democratic Club video on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/SRDemClub/v...type=2&theater

I only watched/listened to the first 30 minutes. About ~14 min in, his opponent Ernesto Olivares says that there are currently ~130 Sonoma SO CCWs and that Essick told a Repub group that he'd increase the number of CCWs in the county. About 19 min in, Essick gives a vigorous defense of allowing the law-abiding and trained get CCWs and carry -- he says not only do CCWers not cause any problems, they actually enhance public safety. He even mentioned that a county to their north (Mendo? Shasta?) has issued 3,000 CCWs and has had zero problems and a county to their east (Solano? Sacto?) that's issued 5,000 CCWs and has had zero problems. He's prepping them psychologically for 1,000s of CCWers without any problems. This sounds great even before you remember this is before a roomful of CA Dem voters/activists! He faced the issue and our opponents square on and stood his ground!

Especially after watching that video, I think Sonoma Co folk should be optimistic: I was thinking he'll go yellow, now I think he may even go -- perhaps not right away -- to light green!

Watch it all to see if I missed any CCW discussion in the 2nd 30 min of the presentation, or just watch those 2 segments I mentioned, and let me know what you think.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 10-11-2018 at 6:25 AM..
Old 09-15-2018, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Let’s get off our asses and do something about it. Should we reach out to his campaign and let them know that a lot of pro-2A voters will support him if he liberalizes CCW?
Yes, but you should also reach out to her campaign as well.

If you look at Sheriff Smith's campaign's FB page, you'll see her appealing to lots of special interest groups. Where's the pro-2nd A groups? Where's the NRA Members Councils? the GS2AC? Are they not even on speaking terms with her?

When Sheriff Gore of San Diego found himself in a tight race against a gay Dem opponent who was pro-CCW, Gore liberalized his own CCW policy. That's how we want things: where both sides are pro-CCW and you can't lose no matter who wins.

Gore tripled the number of CCWs in a year, ended up winning reelection in June, and has kept issuing more and more CCWs every month! He's hired more staff for his CCW unit and is consulting with OCSO on how they process CCWs to speed up things even more.

Gore's even put a counter up on his CCW Info page that is updated at the end of each month to show the current number of 2-year CCWs:
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

An easy place to start is by contacting Smith's campaign's FB page and telling her you want her to liberalize CCW issuance by October 15th and will vote for and support Hirokawa if she does not. But with no organization and so few posters in this Santa Clara Co CCW Info thread -- you should have at least several hundred contact her, a few thousand would be better -- you probably will just show her how weak you are.... That's your fault for preferring to spending time posting complaints than spending time organizing, planning, and doing.

But do what you can now and if things don't change, with whoever wins in Nov, just consider this to be laying the groundwork for the 2022 sheriff's election.

Here's Smith's campaign's FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/lauriesmithreelection/

Last edited by Paladin; 09-16-2018 at 9:52 AM..
Old 09-23-2018, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Rather than clog up this thread -- which is supposed to be focused on people applying for Santa Clara Co CCWs -- with SO election matters, here's a link to another thread where CGNers who want to or are already helping Hirokawa win can post and tell about their experiences, what's needed, etc.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1478640

Old 09-25-2018, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Hirokawa speaking event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Here's his official webpage: https://www.johnhirokawa.com/ and Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/hirokawaforsheriff/

At the bottom, is the "Get involved" sign up.

I'm contacting today, will post back what they say about CCW.

**Gilroy visit- Hirakowa is speaking in town on Sept 26/6-8pm, the addy is on his webpage under "Events" tab.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-27-2018 at 8:48 PM..
Old 09-27-2018, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hirokawa speaking event.
Anyone show up at this event? If so, how'd it go? Did he bring up CCWs?

Santa Clara Co is the most populous county in NorCal w/~1.8M residents. If SC Co CGNers want to take a (FREE) step (from HOME) to pressure Sheriff Smith to issue more CCWs, see: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22162960

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained!"

Old 10-10-2018, 2:21 PM

Well, FWIW, I've now attended two of the candidate forums. One during the primaries and another on the 8th that was John vs. Laurie. She seemed pretty scared and desperate at both events. Even at the forum during the primaries, she essentially ignored the other three people running in order to take every shot she could at Hirokawa, sometimes even ignoring the question she was asked. She is TERRIFIED that he will beat her.

I've met and spoken to Hirokawa twice now and he has said that he will bring CCW back into the 21st century by having clear and transparent policies and actually processing permit applications and issuing permits for good cause. He wants to have a complete overhaul of the system and create a CCW board to help review applications.

No, he won't be publicly promising shall issue, he is one of those guys who is from that generation of liberal law enforcement that is a bit wary of non-LEO having guns. From my conversations with him though, he is a BIG believer in the 14th amendment and believes that there should be a more fair/equitable process for it. That process would certainly be more liberal than what Laurie has been doing which is to say nothing unless you're a rich buddy of hers.

Hirokawa may not be a perfect candidate for us but he IS the guy we need to back.

Laurie has proven time and time again that she has nothing but disdain and contempt for our community. She refuses to even sit down at the table with us. Hirokawa has welcomed discussion about our concerns every time I brought it up, and has promised to lift CCW policy out of the dark ages.

We all need to get off our collective asses and vote for him on November 6th.

ETA: The critical thing here is that John IS talking to us and is sympathetic to our cause. I firmly believe that if we can get him in office, we will have a situation similar to Sacramento where the Sheriff started to issue permits and became comfortable with it and realized it wasn't something to fear. At first it was limited issue, but as he realized it was no big deal they effectively became shall issue. Human nature won the day there and it could happen here too. But not under Laurie.
NRA Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home
NRA Refuse to be A Victim
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Happy to offer private instruction to individuals or couples.
Register To Vote Online: Take Back Our State From the Antis!

Last edited by crazyScott90; 10-10-2018 at 2:34 PM.. Reason: Edit to add
Old 10-10-2018, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Default Santa Clara -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyScott90 View Post
Well, FWIW, I've now attended two of the candidate forums. One during the primaries and another on the 8th that was John vs. Laurie. She seemed pretty scared and desperate at both events. Even at the forum during the primaries, she essentially ignored the other three people running in order to take every shot she could at Hirokawa, sometimes even ignoring the question she was asked. She is TERRIFIED that he will beat her.

I've met and spoken to Hirokawa twice now and he has said that he will bring CCW back into the 21st century by having clear and transparent policies and actually processing permit applications and issuing permits for good cause. He wants to have a complete overhaul of the system and create a CCW board to help review applications.

No, he won't be publicly promising shall issue, he is one of those guys who is from that generation of liberal law enforcement that is a bit wary of non-LEO having guns. From my conversations with him though, he is a BIG believer in the 14th amendment and believes that there should be a more fair/equitable process for it. That process would certainly be more liberal than what Laurie has been doing which is to say nothing unless you're a rich buddy of hers.

Hirokawa may not be a perfect candidate for us but he IS the guy we need to back.

Laurie has proven time and time again that she has nothing but disdain and contempt for our community. She refuses to even sit down at the table with us. Hirokawa has welcomed discussion about our concerns every time I brought it up, and has promised to lift CCW policy out of the dark ages.

ETA: The critical thing here is that John IS talking to us and is sympathetic to our cause. I firmly believe that if we can get him in office, we will have a situation similar to Sacramento where the Sheriff started to issue permits and became comfortable with it and realized it wasn't something to fear. At first it was limited issue, but as he realized it was no big deal they effectively became shall issue. Human nature won the day there and it could happen here too. But not under Laurie.

This is very good news. I donít mind sheriffs practicing caution but they should at least process applications and deny at their discretion. Maybe after a certain amount of interviews they will realize that the applicants are usually stellar citizens. I donít expect waking up one morning and having SCC virtually shall issue.

You should remind him that the 2A community is behind him. He might feel indebted to us and start issuing.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
This is very good news. I donít mind sheriffs practicing caution but they should at least process applications and deny at their discretion. Maybe after a certain amount of interviews they will realize that the applicants are usually stellar citizens. I donít expect waking up one morning and having SCC virtually shall issue.

You should remind him that the 2A community is behind him. He might feel indebted to us and start issuing.
His whole message is that the CCW process should be a completely fair and transparent process, I think trying to make him feel 'indebted' to us kinda flies in the face of that. But I take your meaning. If we can help get him elected he will bring the process out of the dark ages and that is very much what we want.

The key thing is that we have to elect him first though. I've been talking to all of my friends, family, and acquaintances about Hirokawa, and the fact that he represents a chance for a real phase change in how CCW is done in this county. I've been talking about it non-stop on all of my social media. I would urge you and everyone reading this to do the same.

As far as I can tell, this race is going to be VERY close. IF we are going to get him in and Laurie OUT, we are going to need to be as proactive as possible. Talk to your friends, family, neighbors. Post on social media. Lets make this happen.

Old 10-11-2018, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

(1) IMO from what you wrote, Hirokawa will initially take Santa Clara Co from dark red on the CA CCW GC map to light red or maybe even yellow. After that, who knows.

I would NOT give up on Smith. If she's as scared as you think, she may now be open to persuasion. As the old saying goes, "Politicians see the light when they feel the heat." Right now, she's feeling the heat of possibly being out of a job. Now, when she's vulnerable, suddenly CGNers are AWOL in the San Jose Chapter threads about her....

I'm really beginning to see that most CGNers are whiners who do NOTHING to improve their own situations, so rather than try to encourage or help them, I just do what I think best myself.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=307

Has ANYONE already contacted her via her campaign's FB page?

Santa Clara Co is the MOST populous county in NorCal. Smith is vulnerable. Hirokawa is better re. CCWs. This, or some other thread/s re. this election, should be among the busiest on CGN. Yet they're

Last edited by Paladin; 10-11-2018 at 6:26 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 6:45 AM

Quote:

Appreciate the follow up and insight.

I'm afraid I find "a policy" without details rather fence riding. If he wants support, I think most want to know specifics about what these policies will say, require and so forth. If his intention is to become more 2A, then he should say so and how. Resistance to speaking specifics feels elusive, makes him distrustful and me disinclined to support him.
Old 10-11-2018, 6:53 AM

Quote:
(1) IMO from what you wrote, Hirokawa will initially take Santa Clara Co from dark red on the CA CCW GC map to light red or maybe even yellow. After that, who knows.

I would NOT give up on Smith. If she's as scared as you think, she may now be open to persuasion. As the old saying goes, "Politicians see the light when they feel the heat." Right now, she's feeling the heat of possibly being out of a job. Now, when she's vulnerable, suddenly CGNers are AWOL in the San Jose Chapter threads about her....

I'm really beginning to see that most CGNers are whiners who do NOTHING to improve their own situations, so rather than try to encourage or help them, I just do what I think best myself.

Santa Clara Co is the MOST populous county in NorCal. Smith is vulnerable. Hirokawa is better re. CCWs. This, or some other thread/s re. this election, should be among the busiest on CGN. Yet they're
She's one (maybe two) million years old and at the max 90% income rate if she retired today. She sure wants the job, cause she sure doesn't need it.

I think the county is quiet on 2A because its a strong foothold of liberals up here. And young techies who... Yeah, those guys. The vast majority of the county is well-to-do, oh there's a few spots that are "rough" where wine is served a bit over-chilled and the bree isn't quite ripe. The horror.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:

The answer is simply no, no, no. With all due respect, Paladin, I think you've spent too much time on Calguns thinking about this stuff from an academic viewpoint. Smith has been ignoring us for twenty whole years. She was vulnerable last election too when Kevin Jensen took a shot at her seat and people tried to get her to come out for CCW then too. It was the same story. She ignored us and when she didn't do that she actively insulted us and showed her disdain for us in the SJ Merc interview. This indecisive "what about Smith" stuff isn't the solution to the problems in this county. It's just going to discourage people from voting her out. She can't be reached and she can't be negotiated with. And even if by some miracle she DID start talking to our community, I wouldn't be inclined to trust a single word out of her mouth.

The solution here is for her to go and for us to get a new guy in that is willing to overhaul the process. Someone who is open to our issue and has been talking to us from day 1.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the follow up and insight.

I'm afraid I find "a policy" without details rather fence riding. If he wants support, I think most want to know specifics about what these policies will say, require and so forth. If his intention is to become more 2A, then he should say so and how. Resistance to speaking specifics feels elusive, makes him distrustful and me disinclined to support him.
I feel like you simultaneously understood, and didn't understand what I said. He wants to issue permits more liberally. He's not announcing "shall issue" because it would be political suicide in this county. That's not being 'elusive', that's thinking strategically and having good political sense. Think back to 2016 when Hilary went to West Virginia and told a bunch of coal miners she was gonna put them out of a job. Coming out pro-Shall Issue in this county is the equivalent of that. None of us would be able to get any sleep from the collective RREEEEEEEE-ing of the antis. Smith would immediately start beating the drum that he's an evil NRA extremist candidate. Indeed, she tried to do just that exact same thing when it was Kevin Jensen back in 2014. And he only had like one meeting with us and never even made any formal announcements.

Whats happening here is something called subtlety. He's trying to maximize his votes while not giving Laurie any extra ammunition to attack him with.

Please lets just get rid of her this time. Hirokawa is the guy we need.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I feel like you simultaneously understood, and didn't understand what I said. He wants to issue permits more liberally. He's not announcing "shall issue" because it would be political suicide in this county. That's not being 'elusive', that's thinking strategically and having good political sense. Think back to 2016 when Hilary went to West Virginia and told a bunch of coal miners she was gonna put them out of a job. Coming out pro-Shall Issue in this county is the equivalent of that. None of us would be able to get any sleep from the collective RREEEEEEEE-ing of the antis. Smith would immediately start beating the drum that he's an evil NRA extremist candidate. Indeed, she tried to do just that exact same thing when it was Kevin Jensen back in 2014. And he only had like one meeting with us and never even made any formal announcements.

Whats happening here is something called subtlety. He's trying to maximize his votes while not giving Laurie any extra ammunition to attack him with.

Please lets just get rid of her this time. Hirokawa is the guy we need.

I agree. Hirokawa is doing what a smart politician should do and that is to appeal to all voters. If he came out swinging for 2A, he will definitely lose the libtards. He is a democrat after all.

Iím done with Smith. Even if she has a pocketful of f**ks she still wouldnít give one out. No point trying to change someoneís mind when itís abundantly clear theyíre not willing to change.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 10-11-2018, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hirokawa will be the first Democrat I have ever voted for!

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 10-12-2018, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Smith has been ignoring us for twenty whole years. She was vulnerable last election too when Kevin Jensen took a shot at her seat and people tried to get her to come out for CCW then too. It was the same story.
No it isn't: this is her first runoff election in her entire career. As you said, she is afraid. Use that to your advantage even if you have no intention of voting for her.

Quote:
This indecisive "what about Smith" stuff isn't the solution to the problems in this county. It's just going to discourage people from voting her out.
Reality is incumbent sheriffs very rarely lose reelection. Lots of low-info voters who didn't vote for her in June will come out and vote for her (because of up ticket candidates/issues) in Nov. I'm saying take advantage of her fear now, by contacting her campaign now for her to change her CCW position now. What do you have to lose by trying? the price of a phone call? FB messages are FREE!

Quote:
She can't be reached and she can't be negotiated with. And even if by some miracle she DID start talking to our community, I wouldn't be inclined to trust a single word out of her mouth.
Unless you've tried all the methods used by SDCGO to get Sheriff Gore to switch and they've failed, you haven't tried. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1473169

No one thought they could get Bill "Ruby Ridge" Gore to readily issue CCWs. They did it and you can easily read all about it here (the last 2 pages of posts): https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1400940&page=4

Last edited by Paladin; 10-12-2018 at 2:20 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think the county is quiet on 2A because its a strong foothold of liberals up here. And young techies who... Yeah, those guys. The vast majority of the county is well-to-do, oh there's a few spots that are "rough" where wine is served a bit over-chilled and the bree isn't quite ripe. The horror.
Too bad you can't figure out how to get some of those young, brilliant, high income techies to join our side of this fight...

Old 10-13-2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
No it isn't: this is her first runoff election in her entire career. As you said, she is afraid. Use that to your advantage even if you have no intention of voting for her.

Reality is incumbent sheriffs very rarely lose reelection. Lots of low-info voters who didn't vote for her in June will come out and vote for her (because of up ticket candidates/issues) in Nov. I'm saying take advantage of her fear now, by contacting her campaign now for her to change her CCW position now. What do you have to lose by trying? the price of a phone call? FB messages are FREE!

Unless you've tried all the methods used by SDCGO to get Sheriff Gore to switch and they've failed, you haven't tried. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1473169

No one thought they could get Bill "Ruby Ridge" Gore to readily issue CCWs. They did it and you can easily read all about it here (the last 2 pages of posts): https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1400940&page=4
People tried to contact her back in 2014. She was vulnerable then too. She lost a lot of major endorsements and had a very capable opponent in Kevin Jensen. She never responded to anybodies attempts back then. It's not going to happen this time around. And as I already said, I wouldn't trust any promises she made anyways. We can't get through to her, so it's time to go around her and get someone else in there.

Reality is, a lot of people will probably be turning out to vote against her. She has been doing a bad job as Sheriff and has recently been the subject of a pretty serious scandal/allegation/coverup. See here: http://extras.mercurynews.com/harass/

Another source with more details: https://www.sanjoseinside.com/2018/0...90s-resurface/

Then there's also this little stunt: https://abc7news.com/exclusive-santa...ester/3430781/

Who could forget: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...228676411.html

Again, to emphasze, she knows we want a candidate to support and actively mocked us, on camera, during her interview with the SJ Merc editorial board. She's not going to be negotiated with. The reason you don't see anyone chomping at the bit to try to play her off against Hirokawa for CCW issuance is because everybody knows it won't go anywhere. People know it's a waste of time.

I sincerely hope you vote for Hirokawa on November 6th. And even more, I would hope you would get the word about him out to all your friends/family. Smith needs to go. It's long overdue.

ETA: Looking over the link you shared with the strategies people used to get Gore to issue, I can say that most, if not all, of those things have been tried. She won't budge. She mocks us openly. Time for her to retire.

Last edited by crazyScott90; 10-13-2018 at 6:33 PM.. Reason: Edit to add
Old 10-13-2018, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
People tried to contact her back in 2014. She was vulnerable then too. She lost a lot of major endorsements and had a very capable opponent in Kevin Jensen. She never responded to anybodies attempts back then. It's not going to happen this time around. And as I already said, I wouldn't trust any promises she made anyways. We can't get through to her, so it's time to go around her and get someone else in there.

Reality is, a lot of people will probably be turning out to vote against her. She has been doing a bad job as Sheriff and has recently been the subject of a pretty serious scandal/allegation/coverup. See here: http://extras.mercurynews.com/harass/

Another source with more details: https://www.sanjoseinside.com/2018/0...90s-resurface/

Then there's also this little stunt: https://abc7news.com/exclusive-santa...ester/3430781/

Who could forget: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...228676411.html

Again, to emphasze, she knows we want a candidate to support and actively mocked us, on camera, during her interview with the SJ Merc editorial board. She's not going to be negotiated with. The reason you don't see anyone chomping at the bit to try to play her off against Hirokawa for CCW issuance is because everybody knows it won't go anywhere. People know it's a waste of time.

I sincerely hope you vote for Hirokawa on November 6th. And even more, I would hope you would get the word about him out to all your friends/family. Smith needs to go. It's long overdue.

ETA: Looking over the link you shared with the strategies people used to get Gore to issue, I can say that most, if not all, of those things have been tried. She won't budge. She mocks us openly. Time for her to retire.
Thanks. I'll read this thoughtful post and the links tomorrow.

For now just wanted to say contacting her and pushing her to change isn't the same as voting for her. Ideally you get two candidates who will issue fairly (about the best you can realistically ask for, getting SC Co to light red or yellow).