Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Cool Coon Creek & Dillman

Hey shooters ... I'm new to Calguns, but have been around firearms my whole life between growing up in a hunting family and firing off the M16 with the AF. I've Just started my own gun collection and am looking to hear about everyone's experiences at my local ranges.

Skeet and Trap are what I'm most interested in. Is Coon Creek a good place for me to hone my beginner skills? I ran into an older thread where a guy had probs there. Would like to think it was an anomaly, but don't really want to get into a fistfight with my wife/daughter watching. Also don't want to show up there with a friend and get **** on right away. I'll probably look into becoming a member if it's a friendly enough atmosphere.

Any info about Dillman would be nice too. I've actually shot there a few times and had good experiences so far. Membership was on my mind for that place too until I read up and saw that they require you to join the NRA first.
Old 06-12-2014, 5:54 PM

Welcome! I've heard good thinks about both Dillman & Coon Creek. Unfortunately, I've not been to Coon Creek yet. I've been to Dillman a couple times, but not really impressed much. Is Auburn too far? I've found that I like the Auburn Trap Club. They offer Trap & 5-Stand. Good people, very helpfull, & family friendly!

Last edited by XVIga_Rob; 06-12-2014 at 5:58 PM..
Old 06-12-2014, 6:18 PM

Why do have an issue wtih NRA membership? You might not have a range to shoot at without them. I think you would be surprised at the number of ranges financed/built/upgraded through NRA grants.

I'm at Dillman at least once a week and at Ormsby (right behind Dillman) once or twice a month if you want to talk about it.
Old 06-12-2014, 7:31 PM

Smile Auburn and NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Welcome! I've heard good thinks about both Dillman & Coon Creek. Unfortunately, I've not been to Coon Creek yet. I've been to Dillman a couple times, but not really impressed much. Is Auburn too far? I've found that I like the Auburn Trap Club. They offer Trap & 5-Stand. Good people, very helpfull, & family friendly!
Auburn is pretty close ... Do they rent shotguns at all? I'm in the market for an over-under and would like to handle a few different ones before buying.

Templeknight, I'm pretty much ambivalent to the NRA. Knowing how the system works, I'm sure it's a good thing to have a voice in the Capitol for gun owners. I just don't like being forced to join up just because it's a prerequisite to belong to another club. Maybe they help(ed) fund Dillman? In that case, I do see the rationale. Can you tell me about the Ormsby range? Open to public?
Old 06-12-2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilmack View Post
Hey shooters ... I'm new to Calguns, but have been around firearms my whole life between growing up in a hunting family and firing off the M16 with the AF. I've Just started my own gun collection and am looking to hear about everyone's experiences at my local ranges.

Skeet and Trap are what I'm most interested in. Is Coon Creek a good place for me to hone my beginner skills? I ran into an older thread where a guy had probs there. Would like to think it was an anomaly, but don't really want to get into a fistfight with my wife/daughter watching. Also don't want to show up there with a friend and get **** on right away. I'll probably look into becoming a member if it's a friendly enough atmosphere.

Any info about Dillman would be nice too. I've actually shot there a few times and had good experiences so far. Membership was on my mind for that place too until I read up and saw that they require you to join the NRA first.
I'm a relatively new member at Coon Creek. From what I've seen people are friendly. If you're new at the game, or to a club it always helps to ask questions, just say you're new to the club. Ask to join a squad at the trap line.

Old 06-12-2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Auburn is pretty close ... Do they rent shotguns at all? I'm in the market for an over-under and would like to handle a few different ones before buying.
No rentals. They do have some loner pump guns. The range is run & maintained by volunteers. They also offer lessons, just schedule in advance.
Old 06-12-2014, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Dillman is a great club. it is a great, safe, family oriented environment. They require NRA membership as the NRA helps fund some of their equipment and programs. They have an amazing kids shooting team.

Plus, they have a trap match about 3 times a month and the regulars there are friendly and very helpful. In fact, there is a trap match there this Saturday (14 June). it starts at 0800 and goes on until everyone leaves (usually by 1030). It costs $4 per round. No rentals or ammo for sale. You would have to bring your own.

Check it out.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Your 2nd Amendment rights are in grave danger of extinction in Kalifornia. If you're a gun owner, you should become a member of the NRA at a bare minimum. There are other fine organizations (CGF, FPC, CRPA, GOA, SAF, etc...) that are also fighting for your rights and you should consider joining some of them as well. If we don't fight back through these organizations, we will most certainly lose our rights.

Coon Creek and Dillman are good places to shoot as long as we can keep the idiots at both capitols from banning them out of existence. An extra $25/year to the NRA shouldn't stop you. That's the equivalent of a 20 round box of rifle ammunition.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:

Welcome to calguns and nor cal! Dillman is a good and very safe range but you cant really go out there and shoot long distance. Coon creek is a good trap, skeet, sporting clays place. Often go out there to shoot a couple of rounds if im passing thought roseville. Both ranges have great people there and I have never had a problem. I dont know about Coon creek but ya Dillman requires you to be an NRA member because i think they got that range built by an NRA grant. Sign up for NRA, $25 and every bit helps and WE NEED IT IN THIS STATE!!! The range that is in the back is used for 3 gun events which are awesome. Im out there almost every 1st saturday of the month. I dont know if you shoot 3 gun or not but its fun as hell! If you want more info about that back range or 3 gun PM me.
Old 06-13-2014, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

We try and shoot a round of sporting clays once a month at Coon. He raised the price $5 per round. I have friends whom been shooting there for years. Lots of local high school events there, which is cool. Those youngsters can really shoot well. George is a nice guy once he gets to know you.
Old 06-13-2014, 6:54 AM

[QUOTE= Can you tell me about the Ormsby range? Open to public?[/QUOTE]

The Ormsby range is a set of action bays behind the Dillman range. The Dillman range is closed once a month to have multi-gun and 3 Gun Nation matches. The schedule and more info about the matches can be found at LincolnRifleClub.com.
Old 06-13-2014, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You can't shoot at Ormsby (other than the 300 yard bay) during regular hours. It's only open for special events and competitions.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-13-2014, 9:54 AM

I've never shot at Dillman, but I do like Coon Creek. We come up for ATA events now and then, but it's a little far, so we're not there that often. Never had any problems.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. Seems like I have plenty of good places to shoot near my home. The 3 gun competition at Ormsby sounds great. I just finally got my hands on a CZ 75 and Sportsman's Warehouse has a deal on Tikka T3 Lites that I couldn't refuse. $450 through Father's Day. May eventually have to try my hand at 3 gun.
Old 06-14-2014, 9:23 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you can make it to the NorCal Skeet clinic I'd recommend that! Get some knowledge/training before venturing out on your own could save you years of headache!!! Check them out >>> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=405000
Old 06-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Clinic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
If you can make it to the NorCal Skeet clinic I'd recommend that! Get some knowledge/training before venturing out on your own could save you years of headache!!! Check them out >>> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=405000
I know it says all skill levels welcome, but I wonder if it's right for me. I've probably shot skeet and trap about a dozen times or so with friends/fam and know the basics. Price seems great, but I don't want to make that haul (2.5 hr is so drive) and not get better. Have you taken the course?

Last edited by Civilmack; 06-14-2014 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling