Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Smile Newbie

I am a newbie to the shooting scene. I started trap shooting 5 months ago and I am totally hooked now. I was introduced to the sport by a very dear friend of mine and began shooting with his 20 gauge pump, but because I am only 5'1" I found it very difficult to swing the gun because my left hand was already fully extended trying to support the gun. So, he let me borrow his Browning Over/Under 12 gauge when we shoot.... I am so in love with that gun, now I'm searcing to buy one of my own. What I found rather laughable is many peoples attitude towards me shooting a 12 gauge. I am rather small in stature, so everyones first response is that there is no way I'm shooting a 12 gauge because it would knock me on my ***. Really? I learned the proper stance, proper shooting instructions, range rules, and gun safety and have never looked back. In 5 months I have gone from hitting 2 clays out of 25 to hitting 17 out of 25, I think that is pretty good and never once have i been knocked on my *** by the gun LOL. If you have directv check out their Monday night Lock and Load segment they have some pretty interesting shows on there.

Last edited by redheadedgal; 10-18-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Welcome to the group. My son is 14yrs old and is smaller than you and he handled the 12g "ok" LOL Meaning after he shot it he said "oooooooowwwwwwwww" We ended up purchasing him a Mossberg 510 20g which suits him much better. The 12g didn't knock him down but he had a pretty good bruise after a while.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome
Old 10-18-2012, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

I started shooting a 12g at 12 years old (5 feet tall, 100 pounds) and to this day I've never shot a 20g. Now I'm 5'5" and 125 but I still get the same reactions. Laugh it off. If the salesmen are patronizing, then shop elsewhere becuase they don't deserve your business.

It's all in the stance and it sounds like you got it down.

Trap/Skeet is by far my favorite and most memorable shooting experiences.

On a funny note, I have taken my boyfriend (6' 200 pounds) trap shooting twice now with my mossberg (he had never shot trap although he had shot shotguns before).
After showing him the stance, he has been doing well. But every time we have gone so far (only twice), the next day he whines and whines becuase his entire shoulder is purple and bruised from not holding it tight in. Whereas I bruise soooo easy and never have a mark.
I love giving him hell over it too!
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-18-2012, 3:34 PM

Welcome Newbie, I'm new as well having lurked for 4 months and finally registered an acct yesterday. I have to admit to preferring handguns, specifically our 357 revolver. I'm a killer 5'1 and 108 soaking wet so it's just a better fit. I have to admit to being a gun newb, decent amount of knowledge but hands on? Not so much... my husband and I just opened a gun store here so I'm learning more and more every day.

Last edited by Mrs Rabbit; 10-19-2012 at 6:28 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 4:18 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

welcome, red!

Mrs Rabbit, you're going to learn quickly in that environement.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-18-2012, 4:19 PM
CGSSA Associate

Welcome! When I shoot trap I use a Remington Model 47 20 gauge. It dosent fit me the best as its suuuper long im 5' 1.5" but hey as long as im hitting clays I could care less. I do end up with a nice bruise on my shoulder after about 3 games but nothing that dosent go away in 2 days.

I say if the salesmen are not respecting your questions shop elsewhere im a strong supporter of voting with your dollars. Ive shot a Ruger 44 Mag that should of "knock me to my ***" but it didnt. As long as you know what to expect and what your doing then thats all that matters.
Old 10-18-2012, 4:57 PM

Welcome to Mini and Red and Mrs R! Glad you're here, we like new friends....

I shoot trap and skeet (badly). I'm a beginner too. But I don't get a bruised shoulder, never did. I just get a rub spot on my shoulder.

I treated myself to a gel shoulder pad in my vest, and a gel butt cover (shuddup Bugs!) And also, I'm told it's because I have a death grip on the stock and kind of wrap my shoulder around the butt. And I generally bruise radically, 'cause I'm so old.

I'm like you, Mini. As long as I'm killin' those clays, people can say what they like. If you're ever in Norcal, we should shoot. Red and Mrs R too. Heck, let's everybody go!
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 10-18-2012, 5:18 PM

I also am new to shooting trap. Have not tried skeet yet. I also shoot a 12 gauge. I am 5'6" but have shorter arms, so I just purchased a Baretta 3901. I pick it up tomorrow. I have been using my husband's Winchester, but it is way too big. I can see you don't let people tell you that you can't. I don't either. Good for you!!!

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 10-18-2012, 8:36 PM
CGSSA Associate

Ive been itching to pick up one of those gel pads! I really should just bit the bullet and pick up a nice shooting jacket also.