Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Handgun safety class (N. County) san diego?

Where do they hold basic safety classes? I thought Iron Sights did but i don't see any in the calendar.

I want to take my wife to one. I could just teach her myself, but would rather take a class rather than pass along my self-taught knowledge.

Sent from my Apple Android
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM

Just called iron sights ... Completely booked thru may.

It's also 3.5 hours... Which is great, however the 6:30-10 doesn't work well with our kid situation... Looks like i may have to show her the ropes myself

Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

I took it a few weeks back at Iron Sights with my 10 year old. Great class, and he got to shoot a .22 Sig for the shooting portion. Whatever you do, get her shooting.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM

I got a 9mm sig for her to handle, and want to make sure that besides being able to shoot it, she understands the safety aspect of it. I plan to leave it locked in a safe, condition 2

Old 03-04-2013, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Just called iron sights ... Completely booked thru may.

It's also 3.5 hours... Which is great, however the 6:30-10 doesn't work well with our kid situation... Looks like i may have to show her the ropes myself

this guy is out in the boonies east of ramona. looks like he has space in may:

http://www.icandefend.com/bps.html

Took my son out there over a year ago for the bp course, and it was a good experience.
Old 03-04-2013, 2:41 PM
CGSSA Associate

We (CGSSA/Calguns) are planning on holding NRA Women on Target events this year statewide. This is specifically geared towards women that have not shot before, and will be taught by NRA certified instructors. First event will likely be down here in May, so keep an eye out if you don't make it to a training class first.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post

Took my son out there over a year ago for the bp course, and it was a good experience.
Thanks, will look in to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_hk View Post
We (CGSSA/Calguns) are planning on holding NRA Women on Target events this year statewide. This is specifically geared towards women that have not shot before, and will be taught by NRA certified instructors. First event will likely be down here in May, so keep an eye out if you don't make it to a training class first.
Awesome, that would be great!

Old 03-05-2013, 7:24 PM

The San Diego Police Range holds classes on Monday and Tuesday evenings starting around 18:30.
The courses are offered through I believe Mesa College, but you can prolly call the SDPD Range and confirm that.
Not sure of the cost, but IIRC, it should be in the $100 area. Class is about 6 weeks long and covers, legal, moral, safety and instruction of handguns only. It is taught by retired SDPD officers and they do a great job.
Ammo is usually available at the range for purchase during the course. Handguns can also be 'borrowed' in exchange for your drivers license for the evening. They only offer revolvers though....which are easier to learn the basics with in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2013, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
The San Diego Police Range holds classes on Monday and Tuesday evenings starting around 18:30.
The courses are offered through I believe Mesa College, but you can prolly call the SDPD Range and confirm that.
Not sure of the cost, but IIRC, it should be in the $100 area. Class is about 6 weeks long and covers, legal, moral, safety and instruction of handguns only. It is taught by retired SDPD officers and they do a great job.
Ammo is usually available at the range for purchase during the course. Handguns can also be 'borrowed' in exchange for your drivers license for the evening. They only offer revolvers though....which are easier to learn the basics with in my opinion.
Six weeks for an NRA basic pistol class? What on earth do they cover that takes six weeks?
Old 03-06-2013, 5:50 AM

There are various basic and safety classes over at EFGA:

http://escondidofishandgame.com/classes.html

These are open to the public. I took the basic rifle course. Basic handgun is being offered this month. The schedules are in the newsletter PDF:

http://escondidofishandgame.com/news.../March2013.pdf

These are *basic* courses only and taught as recommended by the NRA. While I found them informative, they may not be as entertaining as other more advanced courses.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:20 AM

Quote:

I can vouch for Pete as well. Took BP and PPITH; both courses were very good with monthly range days offered to his students and lunch is included.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeL View Post
I can vouch for Pete as well. Took BP and PPITH; both courses were very good with monthly range days offered to his students and lunch is included.
Have you every been back for one of the range days? I was wondering what the turn out was for these.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Six weeks for an NRA basic pistol class? What on earth do they cover that takes six weeks?

It's not an actual NRA class - just retired cops teaching basic handgun safety and techniques. It does include an NRA Hunter Safety Certificate, though. It's offered through the San Diego Community College District continuing education ("extension") division and it's called Firearms Safety. Here's the link: http://sdccd.augusoft.net/index.cfm?...t_class_id=314

San Diego Miramar College also has a 3-unit semester-long class (16 weeks) offered in the Administration of Justice department:

http://www.sdmiramar.edu/academics/c...=ADJU&lid=ADJU

BK
Old 03-06-2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Where do they hold basic safety classes? I thought Iron Sights did but i don't see any in the calendar.

I want to take my wife to one. I could just teach her myself, but would rather take a class rather than pass along my self-taught knowledge.

If you don't need a class right away, there is a new range opening in Poway this summer and they will have basic firearms classes.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:40 PM

"Six weeks for an NRA basic pistol class? What on earth do they cover that takes six weeks? "

Who said it was an NRA basic pistol class? They teach what was stated in the write up.

Thank you BK for pointing everyone in the right direction. I thought that I recognized the background in your avatar as the long-side of the PD range.
Old 03-07-2013, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Note to OP. PM sent on an All Girl basic pistol class coming up March 13 (a Wednesday)
Old 03-07-2013, 9:06 AM

Thanks, i came across a woman in walmart the other day who mentioned that class, she was looking for 9mm

Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Aegis Academy out in Pala has basic familiarization classes on Fridays and Sundays and a multi-day defensive handgun class once a month or so.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Have you every been back for one of the range days? I was wondering what the turn out was for these.
Turn out is decent for the range days. Nothing beats shooting outdoors. As a matter of fact, a few of us are heading out there tomorrow for the March range day.
Old 03-10-2013, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
I thought that I recognized the background in your avatar as the long-side of the PD range.

Nice! I'm impressed!!

I didn't take the class we're talking about in this thread; but, I did take a class on the long-side and that's where that picture was indeed taken.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:

I third AND fourth Icandefend.com, the course was fun, fast, he jams everything you need to know in 8 hours without making you snore or feel overwhelmed. I took his basic pistol training & in home defense training. Going to do his outside the home course and refuse to be a victim siminar when I get money. Honestly I can't say enough good things about the course.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Bill McLaren also offers classes out of the San Diego Police and Revolver Club, or private lessons elsewhere as I understand it.

http://www.bsafefirearmstraining.com (He is also listed on the NRA Website). Not affiliated with him, but I did take one of his classes and really enjoyed it.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 03-16-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 6:26 AM
Veteran Member

If juggling your schedule / kids / life / etc is an issue, you don't need to be a part of any class.

Just call a quality instructor and get some 1-on-1 training (which is far superior to a class, imo) at a time / range convenient to you.

There are a number of quality instructors right here on CalGuns. In North County San Diego, I can recommend Larry Renner (CalGuns handle "MossbergMan") -- his company is Plus (+) P Proficiency. I'm not affiliated.

Also there is Dave Bridgeman. Dave was the head LEO shooting instructor in San Diego for many years, and is a USPSA GM in both Limited and Open. He's now the head instructor down at American Shooting Center, and if you book a lesson with him, he can open up the range outside of normal range hours. I've shot with him at 6am -- great practice, have the entire range all to yourselves, no traffic getting down there, and you won't be late for work. I'm not affiliated with him, either. You can contact him via ASC or his company is
Practical Firearms
2260 Rutherford Road, Suite 110
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Phone: (760) 692-5204
Old 03-17-2013, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm available to teach the NRA basic handgun course on weekends, by appointment, in Northern LA County if you want to travel.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-18-2013, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
If juggling your schedule / kids / life / etc is an issue, you don't need to be a part of any class.

Just call a quality instructor and get some 1-on-1 training (which is far superior to a class, imo) at a time / range convenient to you.

There are a number of quality instructors right here on CalGuns. In North County San Diego, I can recommend Larry Renner (CalGuns handle "MossbergMan") -- his company is Plus (+) P Proficiency. I'm not affiliated.

Also there is Dave Bridgeman. Dave was the head LEO shooting instructor in San Diego for many years, and is a USPSA GM in both Limited and Open. He's now the head instructor down at American Shooting Center, and if you book a lesson with him, he can open up the range outside of normal range hours. I've shot with him at 6am -- great practice, have the entire range all to yourselves, no traffic getting down there, and you won't be late for work. I'm not affiliated with him, either. You can contact him via ASC or his company is
Practical Firearms
2260 Rutherford Road, Suite 110
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Phone: (760) 692-5204
Thanks, that looks like it might be the better option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I'm available to teach the NRA basic handgun course on weekends, by appointment, in Northern LA County if you want to travel.
Thanks for the offer, a bit far for us, but still definitely keep that in mind!

-Armand
Sent from my Apple Galaxy Note 5