Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newshooter View Post
I am looking to make another purchase in the next couple of days and was wondering what this wonderful community thinks regarding the Sig 229 and the HK USP. I want a 40 cal. I have shot the Sig 226 recently and liked it but can't find anywhere near me to shoot the HK.
Assuming I'm understanding correctly, you're looking at a midsize P229 vs a full-size USP, correct?

I've shot my friend's USP9. Big & clunky is the only way to describe it. I wasn't impressed, and will personally never own one. He, on the other hand, believes he made the best purchase possible. More power to him; it's his gun.

I own a .40 P229. I did not like the grip on it originally--in fact, hated it so much I thought I had just wasted $700+ --but after slapping on a set of Hogue rubber grips it immediately turned into an awesome pistol. That is, an awesome feeling pistol (it was already an awesome pistol mechanically speaking).

The one thing I will never like about Sigs is the location of the slide stop lever and decocker lever. That is going to be the biggest "getting used to" item on the pistol, and unless you shoot exclusively Sig, I guarantee at some point you'll hit the decocker instead of the slide release.

Regardless, given the choice, I think you know which I'd choose. Go with the P229.

And just for the record, in case you are considering the P226 also, I'd choose that over the P229, unless you specifically want a compact for some reason (e.g. CCW). I also own a P226. The two guns (with stock grips) don't feel anything alike; and while I don't like either factory grip, the P226 is definitely better.

Factory Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
P.O.S.T. Certified Armorer: 1911 pistols, AR-15/M16/M4 weapon systems, Glock handguns, Remington 870 shotgun, Sig Sauer handguns.

Quote:
"I just want you to know that we're working on it [gun control]. We have to go through a few processes but under the radar." - Barack Hussein Obama
Quote:
"If America wants to keep America's secrets secret, then America should store its secrets where Barack Obama stores his birth certificate!" - Heard on radio
Old 04-27-2011, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just realized that I made the oops. I am actually looking at the P226. Why do the numbers go up as the gun gets smaller??? Glocks do the same thing as well.

G17 = Full size
G19 = Compact

Yes...I get confused easily!!
Old 04-27-2011, 2:50 PM

The H&K is a polymer frame, the Sig p226 is all metal. They shoot very differently.

I bought the p226, my buddy has the USP. One commenter mentioned that if you're going to carry then the H&K rocks because it's lighter... by 1/2 a pound. The only place I carry my Sig is to the range so I don't care about the weight... in fact it makes the recoil much more manageable for my wife.
Old 04-27-2011, 3:08 PM

FAIL!

If it's 226 or usp, p226 all the way
Old 04-27-2011, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went and fondled some yesterday and I am pretty sure it is going to be the 226. They have the 226 equinox in stock at my local dealer and it is pretty sexy. I will be sure to keep everyone posted.
Old 04-27-2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I went and fondled some yesterday and I am pretty sure it is going to be the 226. They have the 226 equinox in stock at my local dealer and it is pretty sexy. I will be sure to keep everyone posted.
Is it around 1050?
Old 04-27-2011, 4:38 PM

I like SIG but I love Hk.

What I love the most is the ability to carry my USP "cocked & locked."
Old 04-27-2011, 4:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Equinox is $949.00 + fees
Old 04-27-2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
The Equinox is $949.00 + fees
dude?
Get it !I saw all the sig where I live go for 1000 and up !
Plus you can talk down the price
Old 04-27-2011, 4:57 PM

buy both! im working on that myself
Old 04-27-2011, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I will probably end up with both eventually but the 1911 comes next.
Old 04-27-2011, 6:50 PM
Banned

I like hk's
Old 04-27-2011, 7:15 PM

I'll sell you my P226 in .40 and you can see for yourself.
Old 04-27-2011, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am looking to make another purchase in the next couple of days and was wondering what this wonderful community thinks regarding the Sig 226 and the HK USP. I want a 40 cal. I have shot the Sig 229 recently and liked it but can't find anywhere near me to shoot the HK.

Any owners of these firearms out there that are willing to give me their honest opinion? I would love all input. Thanks!!
Either one is an excellent choice. I shot both a lot and I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other. IMO, they are equal. Only gun I like better is the CZ Phantom.
Old 04-27-2011, 8:59 PM

Don't know if there is a downside here. Close your eyes have the clerk shuffle the guns for you and grab one. Both are great guns.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

The equinox is a damn sexy firearm and will serve you well.
Old 04-28-2011, 9:45 AM

I don't care for the Equinox, but I think a 226 in .40 would be a nice choice. I have a 229 in .40, and I thoroughly enjoy. I think a 226 would even be quicker to get back on target as it should handle the recoil slightly better. There is a lot of talk about trigger operation going on here. That is an important factor. But if you have decided on DA/SA and are not trying to determine which gun to get, I think the Sig is a great choice. I actually prefer their controls to HKs, and I like that you don't have a part to remove when you field strip.
Old 04-28-2011, 1:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is it just me or does the HK decocker feel like it might snap off when you push it down? It just doesn't feel like it's very solid. Maybe just me.

For you HK owners, with smaller hands, how do you release your mag. I found that it was easier to use my index finger to release the mags on the right side of the grip instead of using my thumb on the left side of the grip.
Old 04-28-2011, 1:15 PM

This should really either come down to which you shoot better...or, which best fits your intended use.
Old 04-28-2011, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is it just me or does the HK decocker feel like it might snap off when you push it down? It just doesn't feel like it's very solid. Maybe just me.

For you HK owners, with smaller hands, how do you release your mag. I found that it was easier to use my index finger to release the mags on the right side of the grip instead of using my thumb on the left side of the grip.
The USP I fired I would drop the mag with my pinky on my strong hand without adjusting my grip. I also don't have small hands....
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 04-28-2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:

I believe that's how you're supposed to do it. I usually use my index finger on my usp.
Old 04-28-2011, 2:31 PM

The Sig P226 .40 was my very first gun & it will never leave my family. With that said, I have owned The HK USP 45, HK USP Compact .40, and currently own the HK P2000 .40 (see my signature, it's up for sale if you're interested)

IMO - the Sig's recoil is insignificant & is buttery smooth, where as the HK's recoil feels harsh compared to the Sig's.

I'd tell you to go rent/shoot both, but I know not many places rent HK's. That is why I've bought & tested them out. Take it FWIW... strictly my opionion.
Old 04-28-2011, 2:32 PM

The other thing, the HK USP 45 is HUGE... make sure you goto a local gun shop & handle it before making a decision.
Old 04-28-2011, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I am looking to make another purchase in the next couple of days and was wondering what this wonderful community thinks regarding the Sig 226 and the HK USP. I want a 40 cal. I have shot the Sig 229 recently and liked it but can't find anywhere near me to shoot the HK.

Any owners of these firearms out there that are willing to give me their honest opinion? I would love all input. Thanks!!
both are outstanding pistols. if i remember the grip on the sig is a little thicker. i would try both and dont pick tell you do so. its mainly just a choice of ergonomics and your hand. which feels better
Old 04-28-2011, 2:49 PM

I own both... When taking them both apart during cleaning you can tell a difference in manufacturing process and engineering.

Both are quality guns but the HK has the edge in the the tolerance on how they manufacture the parts... Some parts in the Sig look as if they used a coat hanger for parts but it seems to be reliable for Sig.

Another thing to consider is the barrel. The HK is polygonal and the Sig is has a standard rifled barrel which is nice if you want to shoot inexpensive lead ammo. Straight lead ammo is not recommended for polygonal rifled barrel like HK or Glock.

So if you want a reliable gun both will do fine. If you like engineering buy the HK. If you like a smooth recoil with a comfy grip I would go for the Sig.

Or do like I did and buy both... then you won't have this dilemma

If I had to do it over again, a CZ75 would of been in this mix instead of the Sig...

-Mutt

Last edited by Muttley; 04-28-2011 at 2:53 PM..
Old 04-28-2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddogg View Post
The Sig P226 .40 was my very first gun & it will never leave my family. With that said, I have owned The HK USP 45, HK USP Compact .40, and currently own the HK P2000 .40 (see my signature, it's up for sale if you're interested)

IMO - the Sig's recoil is insignificant & is buttery smooth, where as the HK's recoil feels harsh compared to the Sig's.

I'd tell you to go rent/shoot both, but I know not many places rent HK's. That is why I've bought & tested them out. Take it FWIW... strictly my opionion.
You can rent a Full-size USP .40S&W and OC Indoor Range, in Brea. Just saying.
Old 04-29-2011, 3:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone know of some place near the Sacramento area that rents HK's?
Old 05-01-2011, 9:28 PM

Quote:

The decocking lever on my USP .45 gave me that impression, too. It was stiff to the point where it took two hands to operate it. After a few hundred rounds it started to smooth out.

One problem I've encountered is the magazines. The 10-round magazines have floor plates with spring tabs that latch into the magazine body. These tabs are very thin and unable stand up to the shock of being dropped or of handling during tactical use. Other postings online say this is a common problem.
Old 05-01-2011, 9:45 PM

neither
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 PM

Love my Sigs. I would never part with those weapons.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer the HK. I like the mag release (strong hand index finger release). I also prefer the safety/decocker and slide release of the HK. On Sigs, I tend to thumb ride the slide release which prevents lockback on last round. Sigs are fine pistols though, no doubt.
Recoil wise, the sig feels a tad softer, but 9 is pretty soft anyway. I am also more accurate with the HK. In the end, get what fits you best, and has the operating controls you prefer. Either gun will most likely outlast you. ;-)
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 PM

They're both fantastic weapons.
After my research, I settled on the HK, but what you should do is rent (or borrow) both of them. Shoot them side by side. Get a feel for the trigger, the recoil, and the controls, and figure out which one you find the most intuitive. Personally, whether I purchased the Sig or the HK I planned on immediately replacing the sights with Heinies. Unless you plan on keeping the sights stock, I wouldn't factor them in too heavily; focus on feel.

Pick the one you like the best, but make your decision knowing that they both represent some of the finest shooting hardware available, period.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodemonkey View Post
Both are good guns. I have a USP in 9mm and the wife just bought a Sig 226.

To me, the Sig has a better trigger. But the HK you can run cocked and locked in single action only. Sig is going to have a long (albeit tuned nicely) trigger pull on the first shot and then it goes to single action. I just finished a 4 day defensive handgun course and watched a guy struggle the whole time with that DA trigger pull. He never got it by the end of the course.

I run my HK in IDPA matches for fun. I love mine, and it's dead nuts reliable. Only one failure in probably 3000 rounds (and I think it was ammo related).

Either way, it's whatever is most comfortable to you. They are both good choices.

Just curious, was the trigger pull too heavy on the DA? Therefore, not fast enough to get a shot off?