Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Everything you wrote sounds good, except for the part I bolded.

If you or someone else gets the chance, simply ask them why they're "tightening things up": Did they have any problems with a CCWer?
I was told things like "camping" are not going to fly. I assume that probably means hiking and hunting too. I think those might have flown before, I don't know for sure on those if people really got a green light or not previously.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
....... I was told they are tightening things up.......
There it is
Old 06-21-2018, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was told things like "camping" are not going to fly.
Did you ask them why? Why can't people out camping be able to carry to defend themselves?

Quote:
I assume that probably means hiking and hunting too. I think those might have flown before, I don't know for sure on those if people really got a green light or not previously.
The below from: https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Quote:
CAMPING

I am requesting a CCW permit to be used for self-protection for myself, family and personal property. My wife and I frequently travel by motorcycle on remote trails throughout California and camp in desolate and isolated areas. Because we have limited space traveling by motorcycle a rifle or larger firearm is not practical in our situation.

I am making this request because we have many times been confronted by aggressive animals at our camping sites. We have also come across other persons in desolate and isolated areas that have made us feel uncomfortable for our personal safety. On several occasions, we have had items turn up missing from our campsites.

Previously I was a resident of the state of Washington and held a valid concealed carry permit from that state for more than 15 years. My Washington permit number was issued by the Aberdeen Washington Police Department, permit number XXXXXXXX.

As a former Naval Officer, avid hunter and sportsman I am very familiar with firearm safety and proper use.Thank for your time and attention to my application, I look forward to your assistance in completing my application process.

Respectfully,

XXXXXXXX
Old 06-21-2018, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
There it is

Do you live in SD county?

If yes, have you applied with the sheriff for a CCW?

If yes, what is your application's status?

If no, why not?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Did you ask them why? Why can't people out camping be able to carry to defend themselves?

The below from: https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
I did not ask on that one this time, I was focused on my re-worked good cause and happy it got traction and I didn't have to defend it much. If I get the greenlight for training I will ask about some things, but as we know it's several months for that review board to look at things right now. As someone who is struggling here to get the traction that I got, I don't want to ruffle feathers too much.

My opinion is, and this is only me speaking here based on my limited experience so far... Outside of a work need.... Joe Citizen people are going to need to produce a good cause showing an elevated risk over the general public, documented in some way, and submit a good cause that is above the risk of engaging in ordinary public activities.

Again I want to stress that is only my opinion based upon two interactions with only one clerk. It may be easier, it may have gotten worse.

And I must thank SCDGO for being extremely supportive and pro-active helping me no matter how it turns out.

Anyone who has not joined, please consider it.......
https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/

There are now how to get CCW classes locally I think so it's worth it to take those classes first. They did not have them when I started out so get educated as much as possible, I think there has been great progress but
things are in flux. Run your good cause past the experts, if one can be an expert on such things these days.

Also I would advise to not be intimidated by having the dreaded "denial" on your "record". It's easy enough to explain it was denied because good cause was not sufficient, and not because you were a criminal or something.

There is no harm or foul with making the 1st appointment and seeing how your good cause is received. Not a dime spent either. Visitor parking is free.

It is after all, potentially our lives at stake here.

So even if I get denied, I'll look into the appeal process and even if that doesn't work. I'll just try again next year.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 06-21-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Did the OP on this ever get his CCW or was he denied?

Threads like this one make me grateful for my Sheriff, where "Self Defense" is good enough for your good cause statement.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 06-21-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Old 06-21-2018, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Did the OP on this ever get his CCW or was he denied?
Still waiting to hear!

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 06-21-2018, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Still waiting to hear!
When's your 90 days up?
Old 06-21-2018, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I did not ask on that one this time, I was focused on my re-worked good cause and happy it got traction and I didn't have to defend it much. If I get the greenlight for training I will ask about some things, but as we know it's several months for that review board to look at things right now. As someone who is struggling here to get the traction that I got, I don't want to ruffle feathers too much.
Understandable.

Quote:
My opinion is, and this is only me speaking here based on my limited experience so far... Outside of a work need.... Joe Citizen people are going to need to produce a good cause showing an elevated risk over the general public, documented in some way, and submit a good cause that is above the risk of engaging in ordinary public activities.

Again I want to stress that is only my opinion based upon two interactions with only one clerk. It may be easier, it may have gotten worse.
I doubt if Joe Average goes camping nowadays. That does put on in vulnerable position in a risky environment (isolated, no outdoor lights, no witnesses, no one to come to a cry of help, long LE response time if you do have cell coverage and spotty cell coverage at best).

Quote:
And I must thank SCDGO for being extremely supportive and pro-active helping me no matter how it turns out.

Anyone who has not joined, please consider it.......
https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/

There are now how to get CCW classes locally I think so it's worth it to take those classes first. They did not have them when I started out so get educated as much as possible, I think there has been great progress but
things are in flux. Run your good cause past the experts, if one can be an expert on such things these days.
Yep.

Quote:
Also I would advise to not be intimidated by having the dreaded "denial" on your "record". It's easy enough to explain it was denied because good cause was not sufficient, and not because you were a criminal or something.
Yes, denial for insufficient GC is no big deal. Denial for lack of GMC will be looked into.

Quote:
There is no harm or foul with making the 1st appointment and seeing how your good cause is received. Not a dime spent either. Visitor parking is free.

It is after all, potentially our lives at stake here.
Without naming names or pointing fingers, some CGNers would rather whine than apply.

Quote:
So even if I get denied, I'll look into the appeal process and even if that doesn't work. I'll just try again next year.
Old 06-21-2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Well, the webpage still shows 1422 a week later, so my guess is that is not a "counter", but just text put up there by the IT guy. Who knows when or how often it will be updated....

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
It has moved up now. I bet they do not update till they actually hand out the CCWP, and from what the clerk at my local sheriff's office told me, it sounds like they do not contact you right away about your approval but do it when the office has free time to do so, when they are not busy. I am thinking they just pick a day once a week or two then has a deputy do the rounds. I figure much more efficient for them to do it that way as well. So maybe the counter does not move for a long time than a sudden jump then a long pause again. I think having a deputy drive around and do residence checks and contact us that we are CCW approved is pretty low on their list of things to get done each day.

Quote:
Still waiting to hear!
My bad, that question was a bit premature, I misread the date of your first post and thought it was more than a year ago.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 06-21-2018, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It has moved up now.
Yep.

Quote:
It says "1492" now! A 5% increase -- 70 CCWs -- in 1 month!
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

If this keeps up (70 every 4 weeks at the low end, 5% increase every 4 weeks at the high end), that means we'll be at 1,562 to 1,567 ~June 25th. Hopefully, they'll switch to online applications, esp for renewals which can be handled all online, to increase the rate of processing initial apps.

<snip>
FWIW, I expect it to move again before July 4th. But that's just a guess.

Quote:
I bet they do not update till they actually hand out the CCWP, and from what the clerk at my local sheriff's office told me, it sounds like they do not contact you right away about your approval but do it when the office has free time to do so, when they are not busy. I am thinking they just pick a day once a week or two then has a deputy do the rounds. I figure much more efficient for them to do it that way as well. So maybe the counter does not move for a long time than a sudden jump then a long pause again. I think having a deputy drive around and do residence checks and contact us that we are CCW approved is pretty low on their list of things to get done each day.
My guess is the clerks are pretty much busy all the time on them, but the LEOs involved batch them for efficiency. But that's just a guess.
Old 06-26-2018, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Update: I just got a call from a clerk in the licensing office. She wants me to come in and do a notarized waiver over the questionnaire they had me fill out over previously applying to LE agencies. She also asked if my employer asked me to request a permit, or if I was doing it on my own. I told her on my own. She hemmed a little, then asked if I knew of any other employees who'd had "incidents". I said i had no knowledge of any. She said OK, we just need the waiver then.

It sounds like maybe they're trying to tighten down a little more without returning to the old way of denying everyone. I have no idea what effect this might have on the 90 days. I'll ask tomorrow... she said I can just walk in, but asked when I'd go so she could make sure there'd be a notary available. I said I'd come tomorrow AM, and she said fine.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

As if they don't ask us enough questions as it is right?

They did ask me if I ever applied to be a security guard or something like that which was sort of out of left field. That question has nothing to do with my GC statement. Must be some standard background check thing. Printed and mugged shot so my 90 day clock has started ticking. I'm not even going to anticipate a thing until at least 80 days.

Old 06-28-2018, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Update: I just got a call from a clerk in the licensing office. She wants me to come in and do a notarized waiver over the questionnaire they had me fill out over previously applying to LE agencies. She also asked if my employer asked me to request a permit, or if I was doing it on my own. I told her on my own. She hemmed a little, then asked if I knew of any other employees who'd had "incidents". I said i had no knowledge of any. She said OK, we just need the waiver then.

It sounds like maybe they're trying to tighten down a little more ...

Any updates?

I got a call from a clerk this morning asking about my employer whether they asked me to apply. I told her I was doing it on my own and the same thing about any incidents.

She also asked about the proof of the equipment I carry.

I think they are tightening down on GC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As if they don't ask us enough questions as it is right?

They did ask me if I ever applied to be a security guard or something like that which was sort of out of left field. That question has nothing to do with my GC statement. Must be some standard background check thing. Printed and mugged shot so my 90 day clock has started ticking. I'm not even going to anticipate a thing until at least 80 days.
IMO, they're looking for "secret squirrels"... people who have applied to jobs as police officers or guards and been turned away. By asking, they either get permission to review your records, or they can catch you in a lie if you say no and use that to yank your permit.

I'm at 73 days. I really hope they don't decide the 90 days starts now because they just asked for and got this waiver. Especially since it's been so long since I applied at any agencies, they already said there won't be any records to find anyway!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

So, I just got another call. One of the things they'd asked me for was a name and number of a person to use to verify employment. They called saying we left messages for this person but haven't heard back. I called back and left a voicemail saying, I don't know what to tell you... we're a large, global company, and that person might be on vacation, in another role, not the right contact, etc. I suggested they just call the main number and ask to verify employment.

I always thought this was a weird request. There is no way anyone they talk to is going to do anything more than verify employment status. Especially after I told them I'm applying on my own, not because work asked me to. Oh well, back to waiting...

Old 06-30-2018, 12:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So, I just got another call. One of the things they'd asked me for was a name and number of a person to use to verify employment. They called saying we left messages for this person but haven't heard back. I called back and left a voicemail saying, I don't know what to tell you... we're a large, global company, and that person might be on vacation, in another role, not the right contact, etc. I suggested they just call the main number and ask to verify employment.

I always thought this was a weird request. There is no way anyone they talk to is going to do anything more than verify employment status. Especially after I told them I'm applying on my own, not because work asked me to. Oh well, back to waiting...
I hear ya. I'm retired so it's not like there's anyone to call on me. I mean, they can call and talk to the cat if they want. He'll vouch for me. Mr. Whiskers digs me.

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-30-2018, 5:20 AM

Quote:

Large companies may use a 3rd party service to verify employment. Those typically just provide position, date of hire, and whether currently employed.
Old 07-02-2018, 6:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjv View Post
Large companies may use a 3rd party service to verify employment. Those typically just provide position, date of hire, and whether currently employed.
Of course. What would any employer do differently themselves? "Hi, this is the San Diego County Sheriff's department calling, we want to talk about jnojr!" Sounds official, right?

If they actually wanted to get more, they could get a warrant or subpoena, and wind up talking to our corporate counsel. They aren't going to be doing that for this... huge expense, virtually no gain.

Old 07-02-2018, 3:04 PM

I've got my first interview on Thursday, hope it goes well!
Old 07-02-2018, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Talking

$25 - SHALL issue. Process takes 15 minutes. 10 of that is waiting for your laminated license to cool. Good for 5 years. In Pittsburgh.
Old 07-02-2018, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
$25 - SHALL issue. Process takes 15 minutes. 10 of that is waiting for your laminated license to cool. Good for 5 years. In Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh? PA?
Old 07-02-2018, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
I've got my first interview on Thursday, hope it goes well!

Be well prepared.

Be polite.
Old 07-02-2018, 6:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Of course. What would any employer do differently themselves? "Hi, this is the San Diego County Sheriff's department calling, we want to talk about jnojr!" Sounds official, right?

If they actually wanted to get more, they could get a warrant or subpoena, and wind up talking to our corporate counsel. They aren't going to be doing that for this... huge expense, virtually no gain.
I agree. I find the entire employer involvement to be extraordinary- beyond what is proper- what business is it of the employer's? (I know its a common practice). Suddenly you have your company (or rather some clerk/low level manager in HR) forming whatever random, biased thoughts they deem necessary about you and your life and likely dropping it into your personnel file. The company also gets a channel to broadcast their opinion about your need to CCW. Serves nothing.
Old 07-03-2018, 7:22 AM

Quote:

Exactly. I don't want my employer receiving a call from the sheriffs period. Once they hear sheriff and my name they will automatically start forming opinions and speculating.
Old 07-03-2018, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
I agree. I find the entire employer involvement to be extraordinary- beyond what is proper- what business is it of the employer's? (I know its a common practice). Suddenly you have your company (or rather some clerk/low level manager in HR) forming whatever random, biased thoughts they deem necessary about you and your life and likely dropping it into your personnel file. The company also gets a channel to broadcast their opinion about your need to CCW. Serves nothing.
Couldn't agree more.

What's funny is, they finally got in touch of the HR person... who told them to send an email and doubtless start some process. But what's cool is, they just called me and said that would take longer, and they want to get this in front of the licensing panel, so if I emailed a recent pay stub, that would be good enough (why not just ask for that at the outset?) So I just did that and confirmed receipt.

It makes me more hopeful... if they wanted to deny, they could just do it. But it feels like they're actually going out of their way to get apps all the way through the process.

I count myself as being at Day 78. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-03-2018, 2:29 PM

Does anybody know how often the board meets?
With the surge of applications, I wonder how many times they meet in a month.

Old 07-03-2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

Must be nice to live in a free state!

Old 07-03-2018, 8:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Pittsburgh? PA?

Yep!
Old 07-09-2018, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Just got my approval, dated the 6th of July! I've got 30 days to get my qualification done, and can then finish the process!

Old 07-09-2018, 9:35 AM

Congrats, jnojr!!!!! My 90 days is up in September.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Just got a call that I was approved and letter will be sent out today. It took 87 days from 2nd interview.

Also, I just scheduled my training for this Friday with CCWUSA. Thanks to SDCGO and Calguns community!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Just got my approval, dated the 6th of July! I've got 30 days to get my qualification done, and can then finish the process!

Congrats!

Mine approval letter was dated July 6th also.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Just got a call that I was approved and letter will be sent out today. It took 87 days from 2nd interview.

Also, I just scheduled my training for this Friday with CCWUSA. Thanks to SDCGO and Calguns community!

Congrats!

I wanted to take training this Friday also but have field assignment this week, the next one from CCWUSA is July 21st

Old 07-13-2018, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Congrats!

I wanted to take training this Friday also but have field assignment this week, the next one from CCWUSA is July 21st
I just signed up for that class :-) There was another place that had one tomorrow, but the wife is dragging me off to a wedding. I can wait a week...

Old 07-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

#$%&! Forgot all about this. If anyone knows of another initial CCW course anywhere near Oceanside within the next week or two, please LMK. I don't think the next class I can take with CCWUSA will be within my 30 day window.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if we are seeing another problem not enough time is given to get classes in with more being needed. They may need to offer an extension on that 30 days if things get worse.

Old 07-21-2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
#$%&! Forgot all about this. If anyone knows of another initial CCW course anywhere near Oceanside within the next week or two, please LMK. I don't think the next class I can take with CCWUSA will be within my 30 day window.

They have training class by Kyle Dau at Discount Gun Mart tomorrow 7/22.
I would check there.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For those that got one, what was your final cost? Everything but the gun.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
For those that got one, what was your final cost? Everything but the gun.
I haven't exactly picked up the permit yet, this will be done on coming Tuesday but my total cost will be $412.06, actually $356.14.
$55.92 was for the ammo from local gun store for my elephant gun Glock 10mm. didn't want to shoot the hot rounds from Underwood.

$105.63 for initial application collected during 1st interview.
$200 for the 8 hour training class.
$50.51 remainder fee when I finally pick up the permit.