Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM

Default Walmart Required ID to Purchase Ammo

Walked into the Walmart in Kearny Mesa (San Diego) on Saturday to check out the ammo supply. They had a bunch of .45 ACP that I was interested in. I told the clerk "I'd like to get some ammo". She said "let me get the clerk with the key". Here is what followed.
Clerk: Who needs ammo?
Me: I do.
Clerk: I need to see an ID
Me: Why do you need to see an ID?
Clerk: It's the law.
Me: No, its not
Clerk: Yes it is, ATF told us its the law.
Me: The law is you cannot sell handgun ammo to a minor (I'm 57 years old and CLEARLY not a minor).
Clerk: ATF told Walmart we have to check ID's, it's the law.
Me: I don't care what BATFE told Walmart, it is not the law in California to require ID to purchase ammo. Is it a Walmart policy? (I've never been asked for ID when purchasing ammo at Walmart before)
Clerk: Yeah, whatever, do you want the ammo, I need the ID.
Me: Fine, here it is. (I give her my Retired Military ID, on which the DOB is on the back side, she never even turned it over to look).

Now granted, we're talking about a young girl, probably making minimum wage, who is just doing what she's told. But it really pissed me off when she kept telling me "it's the law, ATF says so".

Anyone else have any encounters like this with WallyWorld?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM

I think i've been asked once or twice.

I'm 31 but I usually pay w/ a CC so they ask for ID for that...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM

I have.

Its Walmart policy, dont agree then shop somewhere else. Its not like they keep track of anything.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM

It is the law that you have to be 21 or older to buy handgun ammunition. The only way for the clerk to know you are over 21yo is to see your ID to verify that. Would you give a clerk at 7-11 the same crap for asking to see your ID to buy cigarettes or beer? If you would you're in the wrong.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Bought some ammo from Walmart a few weeks back. Wasn't asked for ID.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM

welcome to walmart now get your **** and get out....

I have been asked sometimes and others not just depends on whos behind the counter. Its not like they record anything anyways they just look at it and hand it back to you.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Walmart

I think some of you guys are missing the point. I could care less that they want to see my ID, I know they don't record any info.

The point is, if BATFE is telling Walmart to require identification to purchase ammunition, then they are once again overstepping the limits of the law and making their own rules. Where does it stop?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM

I've been asked every time. I don't look old, but they enter the birthday into the computer to make sure that it's been verified to let the transaction go through.

For my CC, I never show ID.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2342 View Post
I think some of you guys are missing the point. I could care less that they want to see my ID, I know they don't record any info.

The point is, if BATFE is telling Walmart to require identification to purchase ammunition, then they are once again overstepping the limits of the law and making their own rules. Where does it stop?

It probably stops when you stop believing that some ATF agent actually TOLD this 18 y/o girl that it was required.

She probably heard it from a manager who heard it from his boss, who read it somewhere.

Get mad at Wal-Mart, not the ATF; at least on this one issue. There is plenty else to get mad at the ATF about.

Last edited by greg36f; 04-09-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don29palms View Post
It is the law that you have to be 21 or older to buy handgun ammunition. The only way for the clerk to know you are over 21yo is to see your ID to verify that. Would you give a clerk at 7-11 the same crap for asking to see your ID to buy cigarettes or beer? If you would you're in the wrong.
Exactly. Why is this thread even here....
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM

I'm 63YO and if wally guy or gal is asking for ID to verify my age, because wally boss told them to because he's a pointed haired idiot, I'm pi$$ed. If BATF TOLD them to VERIFY age, fine for questionable persons but I am, by my sheer looks, far past being a minor.

If they DON'T ask for ID when I use a CC, I'm pissed. What friggin contridiction!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Should have picked up some midol while you were at it, you were acting like enough of a b----
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It could be worse. Don't know if FUD or not, my BIL (in L.A.) tells me he has to get fingerprinted to buy ammo.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

They always require ID to verify you're of legal age to buy ammunition. She was just doing her job.

Just like how every time you go to buy cigs or booze they're SUPPOSED to card you regardless, as stated above.

ATF told her so was probably skewed from 'ATF requires you verify age in order to buy ammo". Just show her the ID and go along with your daily life. Now, if it were 'Show me some Id so i can record your info on this list cause ATF told me so' than THAT would be a problem.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Exactly. Why is this thread even here....
This thread is here because I thought it was important enough to write about and that maybe it would provoke some intelligent thought on the subject. Sorry you disagree. Isn't that what a "Forum" is for?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

It's illegal to sell handgun ammunition to anyone under 21. How are they supposed to verify that without asking for identification?

Don't give me this "I'm old" BS either, show the ID or gtfo.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1949 View Post
I'm 63YO and if wally guy or gal is asking for ID to verify my age, because wally boss told them to because he's a pointed haired idiot, I'm pi$$ed. If BATF TOLD them to VERIFY age, fine for questionable persons but I am, by my sheer looks, far past being a minor.

If they DON'T ask for ID when I use a CC, I'm pissed. What friggin contridiction!
Thank you, someone gets it.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM

I was told at Walmart that they check id not just for minors but they didn't want illegal status migrant persons or known gang affiliated persons buying ammo from them. They didn't wasn't to see on the news someone was shot with ammo bought at Wall mart.

If they know you buy ammo all the time they stop checking.

They don't keep any info what's the harm? If anything happens it just helps their lawyers.

Plus they don't even have a black list it's a psychological thing. "Those who don't want to show id have something to hide" they say.

Last edited by woods; 04-09-2012 at 1:01 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
It could be worse. Don't know if FUD or not, my BIL (in L.A.) tells me he has to get fingerprinted to buy ammo.
I believe that's just in L.A. In city limits only? Don't quote me
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 04-09-2012, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The point is, if BATFE is telling Walmart to require identification to purchase ammunition, then they are once again overstepping the limits of the law and making their own rules.
And your proof of this is that a Wal-Mart employee told you?

I questioned an assistant store manager and he said it is a corporate policy to log a DOB into the point of sale terminal for ammo purchases. Wal-Mart has had major issues with CADoJ over the years, which is why they don't sell firearms in CA. The idea is to be able to demonstrate that they aren't selling ammo to minors to a CADoJ or BATFE auditor if they have to.

I find that when I pay for shotgun shells at the sporting goods register I am asked for ID, but when I check out elsewhere (such as the garden department yesterday morning) I am not. So it's hit and miss.

If it bugs you that much, buy elsewhere.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 04-09-2012 at 1:23 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Walked into the Walmart in Kearny Mesa (San Diego) on Saturday to check out the ammo supply. They had a bunch of .45 ACP that I was interested in. I told the clerk "I'd like to get some ammo". She said "let me get the clerk with the key". Here is what followed.
Clerk: Who needs ammo?
Me: I do.
Clerk: I need to see an ID
Me: Why do you need to see an ID?
Clerk: It's the law.
Me: No, its not
Clerk: Yes it is, ATF told us its the law.
Me: The law is you cannot sell handgun ammo to a minor (I'm 57 years old and CLEARLY not a minor).
Clerk: ATF told Walmart we have to check ID's, it's the law.
Me: I don't care what BATFE told Walmart, it is not the law in California to require ID to purchase ammo. Is it a Walmart policy? (I've never been asked for ID when purchasing ammo at Walmart before)
Clerk: Yeah, whatever, do you want the ammo, I need the ID.
Me: Fine, here it is. (I give her my Retired Military ID, on which the DOB is on the back side, she never even turned it over to look).

Now granted, we're talking about a young girl, probably making minimum wage, who is just doing what she's told. But it really pissed me off when she kept telling me "it's the law, ATF says so".

Anyone else have any encounters like this with WallyWorld?
Same thing happen to me recently at Walmart in Chino Hills.

Asst manager asked for i/d. I asked if I looked under 18yrs old? Asst replied it wasn't relevent. I told him I was 42yrs, clearly over 18yrs. **** I don't even get carded at the bar nor store, but yet I am carded for ammo? Asst replied it was Walmart policy.

After I purchased the ammo, I asked what my DOB was? Asst didn't know. Which meant it was done for the camera's more than anything.

Update: I called the Chino Hills Walmart. Spoke to a manager "Lisa". She said they are aware it's not a law, she will post a sign saying it's a Walmart policy to request i/d on ammo purchased regardless of age. She also said only 5 employees can sell ammo. They all had to take a class on selling ammo and got certified. Thus, the reason you wait for a clerk to come and not always can the clerk that is nearby sell it.

Last edited by jeep7081; 04-09-2012 at 1:52 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 1:49 PM

Some of you guys need to lighten the hell up. She was just doing her job and asking for ID, which for normal people is a pleasant and simple 3 second exchange. Her boss probably told her that if anyone questions it, just tell them it's the law. But instead of taking a high road, smiling and saying, "Sure, here you go." you decide to be a major ***, drop trou and take a huge stinking crap on the day of a girl that's working for minimum wage and just trying to get through her horrible day of dealing with old geezers with holier than thou attitudes. Seriously, lighten up Francis.

You -
Normal people -

Old 04-09-2012, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

It's also VISA/MASTERCARD policy that the stores NOT require you to show ID. They are supposed to match signatures ONLY. They can get in trouble and lose their contract with Visa/MC for asking. But they all do.
Old 04-09-2012, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

I have only been id for pistol calibers which is silly because I was buying them for a friends 9mm rifle .and i buy rifle rounds (.556) for my ar pistol without being id pretty pointless policy lol
Old 04-09-2012, 2:08 PM

never had to show id for the Wallyworld in Foothill Ranch (South OC). the older gentleman that runs the ammo counter looks at me and says, I am sure you're over 21 and never asks for id. not sure if i should take that as a compliment or is he calling me old?

and OP i think you're getting worked up over nothing. can't fault the youngster for trying to just do her job. whether she is slightly misinformed or not, she means no harm.
Old 04-09-2012, 2:15 PM
retired Goon

Wal-Mart asking to see valid ID is their policy to ensure they are complying with Federal law [18 USC 922 (b)(1)] and with the "Responsible Firearms Retailer Program" agreement they made with Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

18 USC 922
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

RESPONSIBLE FIREARMS RETAILER PARTNERSHIP:
A 10-Point Voluntary Code
1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.

2. Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Participating retailers will maintain a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.

3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.

4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.

5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.

6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.

7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.

8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's firearms audit check procedures.

9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.

10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-09-2012, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

It may be policy, but some at walmart are smart enough to figure out that a 55yr old (my dad) is not under 21 when he buys hand gun ammo. Last time I went to wal mart for 22lr the guy that rung me up remembered me from times past and didn't ask. (I am 19 so it's not totally obvious that I am 18 or over)
Old 04-09-2012, 2:26 PM

Wow, really? Takes a few seconds to take out your id but even a greater amount of effort to make a stink over someone doing their job. I just bought some ammo from Walmart out here in OC, as soon as I showed the clerk my id he grabbed my ammo, rang me up and I was out the door. Smooth and simple.

Old 04-09-2012, 2:31 PM

just show id 3 seconds if that no need to get upset or make your and the person helping you day bad over a policy they have. this is how it usually works out for me when i buy ammo at wally world chula vista both of them and the palm ave location.

me: can i get some federal 45acp, and 9mm ammo please.
clerk: sure, can i see some id
me: sure, here you go.
clerk: thank you, and have a nice day shooting stuff.

end of story
Old 04-09-2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_fox_racer View Post
me: sure, here you go.
exactly...smooth and simple

Old 04-09-2012, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggatronic View Post
exactly...smooth and simple
Quote:
me: No, I am not required to provide ID for this purchase, so I will just get my ammo somewhere else. Later.
This goes pretty smoothly too, and you don't spend your money with a retailer that is so eager to placate anti-gunners. If they ask, I don't buy.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-09-2012, 5:03 PM

Well I guess I heard my story from an employee not a manager if you got it from manager that's probably more credible I'm thinking that there's a lot of people that are not trained correctly and they just say whatever they have to say to try to try and make sense.

I think they call it big corporation disease good ideas at the top rarely trickle down to the bottom. Policy in some large companies reads like the tax code, long and to confusing for one man to know.

I do know that Walmart is forgiven for checking my id as long as they are 5 or more cents a round cheaper than the other place.
Old 04-09-2012, 5:05 PM

i went to big 5 and the same thing happened to me , except they said it was store policy , I doubt its even store policy.
Old 04-09-2012, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
After I purchased the ammo, I asked what my DOB was? Asst didn't know. Which meant it was done for the camera's more than anything.

She also said only 5 employees can sell ammo. They all had to take a class on selling ammo and got certified. Thus, the reason you wait for a clerk to come and not always can the clerk that is nearby sell it.

The San Diego store doesnt even have that many people that can sell ammo.

The clerks there know me, I buy ammo all the time, I still get asked for ID. Its just their policy, not a big deal. Shes a nice lady plus the process takes seconds.

End of the day im just happy they sell ammo at prices that dont match Big5
Old 04-09-2012, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

I bought some ammo today at wally world and the register popped up a warning to check ID when the ammo was scanned, the cashier looked at me and pressed the go ahead button. I was actually hoping he would ask for ID, man I'm old.
Old 04-09-2012, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Bottom line is that Wal-Mart is a private business and they can make you fart into a paper bag to buy ammo if that's their policy. Who ever said life isen't fair sure as hell knew what he was talking about!
Old 04-09-2012, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

many years ago I used to buy ammo mail order with cash or money orders when I was under 18. People are getting all worked up over the wrong things. Why not get mad at the current artificially high price of ammo or why you can't buy cheap US military surplus ammo at the surplus stores, like back in the day when they didn't sell cheap Chinese junk as military. In some countries they are restricted from buying as much ammo as they can afford. If they want to buy a box, they have to turn in their old box of spent non reloadable Berdan shells. It would be very easy for CA to pass a bunch of anti-ammo tax ammo like CRV on drink containers, require a DROS to buy ammo & to limit how much you can buy a one time.
Old 04-09-2012, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

First of all Wal-mart is consistently inconsistent with their sellling of ammo and even their signage of laws regarding selling ammo. They all do not have the same sign and the signs they have are confusing. Shotgun rifles and what not. Always bring your I.D. just in case they ask and if they do ask then either present it or walk away. Do not engage the employee with a debate over state or federal laws. Do not ask to speak to a manager or a district manager or email their legal department. You will either get unsatisfactory or no response.
Old 04-09-2012, 8:22 PM

Do I need to bring my .22 rifle to prove it's not for a handgun? Should i need to show ID to buy .308 for an AR-Pistol ? I have a feeling this "illegal to sell handgun ammo to under 21" to be just as bad as AB962, and about as enforceable.

There's always 9mm carbines...
x7
Old 04-09-2012, 9:18 PM

Then WalMart policy is inconsistent, at best. I have never been asked for ID in any WalMart in several states, and I do buy a fair amount.
I usually get the ammo from an associate, throw it in my cart, proceed to my grocery shopping, and pay for the ammo on the way out- with my groceries. Never been asked for any ID...