Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-18-2018, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Default OBO but really isn't

This isn't your typical whining about marketplace prices, gouging, off roster premium thread. What I am wondering is how often you all encounter or best offer sale posts but they really aren't.

A few times this has happened to me. On the most recent example a rifle was listed at $1250 OBO. I asked seller if $1000 would do and if not what would? No reply. I PM'd again after I saw rifle bumped multiple times with price drop of a whole $50 to $1200. So I messaged again and asked if OBO what can we do since I already made an offer.

I was told $1200. I responded maybe OBO should be removed since it truly isn't OBO. To his credit he did eventually remove the OBO. And rifle is still languishing unsold. I don't think offering $1000-1100 on a $1200 price with multiple deleted bumps (I check dates and remember on guns I may want) is a low-ball offer maybe he saw it that way, I don't know.

I think people sometimes don't really understand or really mean OBO when they put it but for some reason they still put it. Because all the cool kids do? Because they think it gives them street cred? I have put or best reasonable offer before on my sale posts.

I should start a separate thread on price drops of like 2-4% I've never understood that tactic or reasoning behind it.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:12 PM

You sound like a friend of mine that thinks you have to accept any offer if you put OBO in your ad. OBO means they are not fixed on the price and will negotiate. A low ball offer like yours is not an offer but an insult.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrstuff View Post
You sound like a friend of mine that thinks you have to accept any offer if you put OBO in your ad. OBO means they are not fixed on the price and will negotiate. A low ball offer like yours is not an offer but an insult.
If I list a glock gen 3 for $1,000 and someone offers me $500 is that a lowball?
Old 04-18-2018, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Or BEST offer.

There could have been other offers that the Seller was entertaining and they may have not panned out. The Seller is under no obligation to accept your offer if it is below the asking price.

The transaction is a 2 way street. Both have to agree. If you don't get any response from the Seller, move on. If you do. Party on!

Common courtesy would have the Seller at least respond and say that your offer is too low or that he will only accept $X. Which he did. Maybe he doesn't really want to sell it and it just seeing if he can get a certain price for it.

If I don't get a response from the Seller and they're flakey, I usually will cut my losses and move on. Since if they're flakey with e-mail or PM's, how flakey will he be with an appointment at an FFL that may or may not be close to me.

Hope you get what you want. If not, I'm sure there are others out there.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-18-2018, 7:33 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I think a $1,000 offer on a $1,250 OBO gun that hasn't sold for a couple days is a fair opening volley. Depending on the market price of course... but I would kind of expect a counter offer. But nobody is under any obligation IMO unless you offer the full asking price on the seller's terms.

Now I do see people using OBO as an obvious attempt to circumvent the no auction rule and I kind of wish that was policed somewhat better but I don't really know how you can. When someone is selling that aforementioned gen 3 G19 for $1,200 OBO it's not within the spirit of the rules.

In the end, if you don't like an ad, a gun, or a seller... it's just best to move on.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A $1,000 offer on a gun with an asking price of $1,200 or OBO is an insult?

In regards to the bold above, at what price should negotiations begin in your expert opinion

To the OP, there are some pretty quirky sellers here, I've ran across many. Never really understood why people would hold out for weeks or months to try and get an extra $100
Old 04-18-2018, 7:35 PM

on the opposite side, I've had several PMs to my sale, that didn't offer at all, and just said "how low will you go?". That's stupid and I'm not going to answer. I already posted a price. I've never specifically said "OBO", I think on a forum like this it's implied. It's always appropriate to negotiate, even if the seller just says no thanks, which I've also done. I'm not obligated to counter-offer either. Every firearm I've listed I accepted less than I asked eventually, but the cheaper the item, the less likely to bend.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
If I list a glock gen 3 for $1,000 and someone offers me $500 is that a lowball?
Why would you even respond to someone asking $1000 for a Gen 3 Glock? I wouldn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
on the opposite side, I've had several PMs to my sale, that didn't offer at all, and just said "how low will you go?". That's stupid and I'm not going to answer. I already posted a price. I've never specifically said "OBO", I think on a forum like this it's implied. It's always appropriate to negotiate, even if the seller just says no thanks, which I've also done. I'm not obligated to counter-offer either. Every firearm I've listed I accepted less than I asked eventually, but the cheaper the item, the less likely to bend.
^^^^THIS.

Also, you kinda get a sense if the guy is really interested or just “browsing”. If I list an item for $1200 OBO and someone offered $1000 and I said yes and then he flakes, should I change the post to $1000?

Last edited by alwaysbest; 04-18-2018 at 7:47 PM..
Old 04-18-2018, 7:43 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Chapped Hide View Post
Never really understood why people would hold out for weeks or months to try and get an extra $100
You have people that are willing to drive 80 miles round trip to save $50 on a Glock at Bass Pro, and they have to drive it twice. This place is ground zero for skinflints.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Always ask way more than you expect to get in this marketplace.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:50 PM

Offering $1k for item listed $1250 is NOT lowballing. Seller should be cordial and reply all questions. A simple answer like Thank you for the $1k offer but my best and final is $1200, $1100 or whatever. This is a classic example of either seller have no selling skills or just using "OBO" tactic to seek responses and hoping someone out there would pay close to full ask.
Old 04-18-2018, 8:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

DILLIGAF

Lots of acronyms

TLA

How many people can’t even post a thread and follow the for sale template

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

- If the Democrats thought for one seconds that Illegals were voting republican, You'd see the Border Wall from Space! - Abe Lincoln
Old 04-18-2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
To all the people who commented on my post above most of the people who try to force the OBO issue are looking for bargains and are not willing to pay fair market value. My comment was not directed at the OP's specific offer but the people who try to force the OBO issue. The whole idea that you have to accept any offer received seems to be a new idea that only came around in the last few years. Back when for sale ads were in the newspapers and not online OBO meant you were flexible on the price. If the ad didn't state OBO the price was firm.
Old 04-18-2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
You have people that are willing to drive 80 miles round trip to save $50 on a Glock at Bass Pro, and they have to drive it twice. This place is ground zero for skinflints.
So true...So many penny wise and dollar dumb CalGunners...
Old 04-18-2018, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I saw your rebuttal to this but for the record and as others stated I really don't see how an offer of $1000-1100 on a $1200-1250 item is insulting lowballing.

So in your mind what wouldn't be insulting, an offer of $5-10 less on a $1250 gun?

I just don't think some sellers understand what OBO means or they are playing a game or a scam. That is why I will put or best reasonable offer. Obviously if the only offer I get is 2 pennies I'm not going to take that.

On most of not all guns I don't really care if I get it or not and seller can choke on their item and keep bumping away in vain. I already own so many guns and buy so many that it is about as exciting to me or as important to me as buying a gallon of milk.

I've learned long ago that there is millions of guns out there and another deal will always eventually come up, sometimes even better than the one you didn't get the time before.

It is very frustrating buying and especially selling guns on CGN and that is why I generally don't sell much here not worth the problems and flakes and trolls and nonsense. I try to keep some guns in CA but some people here sure make it hard to do so.

I just have never seen the false OBO problems mentioned here before just the other beating a dead horse topics about the marketplace we always see like about gouging and pricing.
Old 04-19-2018, 6:32 AM

If I want something but not at the asking price, I’ll typically subscribe to the thread so I can be notified right away if they reduce the price.

If they put OBO in their thread and someone makes an offer, they should at the very least respond to the offeror with a counter offer or a simple “no thank you”
Old 04-19-2018, 7:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
Offering $1k for item listed $1250 is NOT lowballing. Seller should be cordial and reply all questions. A simple answer like Thank you for the $1k offer but my best and final is $1200, $1100 or whatever. This is a classic example of either seller have no selling skills or just using "OBO" tactic to seek responses and hoping someone out there would pay close to full ask.
This.^^^^

Some people have no clues or have never sold/negotiated selling anything. And, common courtesy is lacking in some cases.
Old 04-19-2018, 7:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OP - I believe your offer was reasonable and the seller should had gotten back to you, but you need to understand that there are people out there that aren't as cordial and polite as you are and quite possibly your offer may have offended them. They usually have a lower set sell price in mind but you may not had met that number. Make your offer, follow-up with them, if they don't respond, just move on.
Old 04-19-2018, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbest View Post
Why would you even respond to someone asking $1000 for a Gen 3 Glock? I wouldn't
Whoosh. That's the sound of this one going over your head
Old 04-19-2018, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

You all read it wrong.

OBO + Or Bend Over

As in $1250.00 Or Bend Over.

It's an indication you must bring your own lube.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 04-19-2018, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
And rifle is still languishing unsold. I don't think offering $1000-1100 on a $1200 price with multiple deleted bumps (I check dates and remember on guns I may want) is a low-ball offer maybe he saw it that way, I don't know.
Regardless of what you offered, if he has "OBO" in his title he should respond.

There is no such thing as "insult" or "low ball" - it's an offer and if the ad specifies that offers are accepted, it's his responsibility to answer. A polite "we are too far apart" doesn't take long and clearly conveys: (1) I have received your offer, (2) I will not accept your offer, and (3) we are too far apart so there is little point in continuing.
Old 04-19-2018, 9:33 AM

Quote:
maybe?

i don't know what gun he is referring to, but if somebody is trying to sell something for way over list price, i don't think making a more reasonable offer is insulting.

for example, if somebody is selling an $1100 gun for $2000, offering $1700 doesn't seem as insulting as the price they are asking.
Old 04-19-2018, 9:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
He doesn't have to accept it, but he should reply and say that he is not accepting it.

In negotiation there are no insults. Both sides should know what they are willing to accept, then try to find the overlap. If they cannot find it, the deal doesn't happen. If they find it, the deal happens. Being offended is for snowflakes.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
This. Being a seller and a dbag don't go well together. I've dealt with potential customers that make my blood boil, but guess what? I always get a sale! There's a method to doing business, and sticking your nose up in the air and acting a certain way isn't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the calguns marketplace is a joke with a bunch of people trying to sell plastic/steel "gold".

Quote:
To all the people who commented on my post above most of the people who try to force the OBO issue are looking for bargains and are not willing to pay fair market value. My comment was not directed at the OP's specific offer but the people who try to force the OBO issue. The whole idea that you have to accept any offer received seems to be a new idea that only came around in the last few years. Back when for sale ads were in the newspapers and not online OBO meant you were flexible on the price. If the ad didn't state OBO the price was firm.
Nobody said you have to accept anything, but being cordial and responding to the guys offer is good business. He could have easily countered at 1150, and guess what? May have gotten a sale. But because whoever was selling this item thinks he's so smart, he has probably lost a bunch of potential buyers.

Fair market value is also a joke in this state. It's like Valeant buying drugs for $1 a pop and selling them for $250 a pop and saying that because they're only seller in town that's the market value.

Aboso-****ing-lutely not!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM
小さな女性

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
This isn't your typical whining about marketplace prices, gouging, off roster premium thread. What I am wondering is how often you all encounter or best offer sale posts but they really aren't.

A few times this has happened to me. On the most recent example a rifle was listed at $1250 OBO. I asked seller if $1000 would do and if not what would? No reply. I PM'd again after I saw rifle bumped multiple times with price drop of a whole $50 to $1200. So I messaged again and asked if OBO what can we do since I already made an offer.

I was told $1200. I responded maybe OBO should be removed since it truly isn't OBO. To his credit he did eventually remove the OBO. And rifle is still languishing unsold. I don't think offering $1000-1100 on a $1200 price with multiple deleted bumps (I check dates and remember on guns I may want) is a low-ball offer maybe he saw it that way, I don't know.

I think people sometimes don't really understand or really mean OBO when they put it but for some reason they still put it. Because all the cool kids do? Because they think it gives them street cred? I have put or best reasonable offer before on my sale posts.

I should start a separate thread on price drops of like 2-4% I've never understood that tactic or reasoning behind it.
Like buying a house, the seller doesn't have to respond to your offer for several reasons: Waiting for a better offer than yours. Perhaps not responding because in their mind you low-balled. Regardless what the reason is, they can choose to ignore your offer.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 AM
小さな女性

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
Yes because it's relative. Doesn't matter what the market may be if they list it at an inflated price. Your offer of 1/2 of what they are asking is low-balling.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Not even close. Most of you Californians need to understand and learn that $1000 is not a low ball offer if the ad says $1200 obo when the exact same firearm in a freestate goes for $500 plus tax. It’s only worth $500 regardless if in California it’s off roster and the buyer wants $1200. Fact is it’s a $500 gun and $1000 is double what’s its worth. Therefor not a lowball and not insulting, regardless of what you think or believe. Get with the times and realize this.

I put OBO on my sales and I do give discounts and charge freestate prices because for 21 years in the military that’s what I paid. I am not going to charge a 300% profit on something that’s not worth it. Sorry I don’t play the California bull**** pricing games. I laugh when I see someone asking $3200 for a firearm I sold in a freestate for $1200. Simply laughable. There will be some guy/gal that will pay that price and then some would say see he sold it for $3200. But again the gun is worth $1200 and I can easily go back to being a resident on record of Oregon and buy it for $1200 no tax.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor

Last edited by Endless; 04-19-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM
YOU are next!!

The biggest problem is common courtesy isn't so common. Sellers can't even take 10 seconds to respond with a no thanks or make a counter offer. That has pretty much been my experience.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You sound like someone who doesnt understand the meaning of the words in an offer.

The Best offer is the highest one recieved, not one above a certwin unspoken threshold.

“Or best reasonable offer” means what you think, incorrectly, “or best offer” means.

Edit, to clarify, i dont think he HAS to accept an offer, but he should learn common courtesy and respond, and not like a douche.

Obo INVITES offers at less, thats what it means. Dont get butt hurt when your ad works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 04-19-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
The biggest problem is common courtesy isn't so common. Sellers can't even take 10 seconds to respond with a no thanks or make a counter offer. That has pretty much been my experience.
^Ditto. There will be douche bag sellers out there that do not know the meaning of common courtesy
Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

There’s a rifle in the marketplace right now that I offered a bit less than asking on, with obo in the ad, and offered arrangements to make the sale very easy with no travel in their part. Seller said no and that it was too little, but made no counter offer. I’d love to have what they are selling but oh well, I can use the money elsewhere!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I saw your rebuttal to this but for the record and as others stated I really don't see how an offer of $1000-1100 on a $1200-1250 item is insulting lowballing.

So in your mind what wouldn't be insulting, an offer of $5-10 less on a $1250 gun?

I just don't think some sellers understand what OBO means or they are playing a game or a scam. That is why I will put or best reasonable offer. Obviously if the only offer I get is 2 pennies I'm not going to take that.

On most of not all guns I don't really care if I get it or not and seller can choke on their item and keep bumping away in vain. I already own so many guns and buy so many that it is about as exciting to me or as important to me as buying a gallon of milk.

I've learned long ago that there is millions of guns out there and another deal will always eventually come up, sometimes even better than the one you didn't get the time before.

It is very frustrating buying and especially selling guns on CGN and that is why I generally don't sell much here not worth the problems and flakes and trolls and nonsense. I try to keep some guns in CA but some people here sure make it hard to do so.

I just have never seen the false OBO problems mentioned here before just the other beating a dead horse topics about the marketplace we always see like about gouging and pricing.
It's not an insult. The insult are people who have no understanding about OBO or negotiating.
The literal term of OBO is to take the highest offer. If the seller is not willing to do that, just put, "Other offers will be considered."
But unfortunately, not many people are smart enough to realize that.

Too many people go into car dealerships and simply plunk down the asking price. Some will actually ask the dealer what their bottom line is and accept it.
This is not negotiating, this is capitulating.
I hate millenials and those who think like them!
Old 04-19-2018, 4:04 PM

I've paid $400 for a $2000 item. After inspection and demonstration that it didn't function properly. 2 hours of skilled labor were needed to restore functionality.

Hard to negotiate with out any facts or communication. Isn't it?
Old 04-19-2018, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
Like buying a house, the seller doesn't have to respond to your offer for several reasons: Waiting for a better offer than yours. Perhaps not responding because in their mind you low-balled. Regardless what the reason is, they can choose to ignore your offer.
Well yes, you don't have to be Captain Obvious. Of course nobody has to take any offer but they shouldn't be upset when they get what they ask for when they put OBO.

I choose to ignore or put on ignore list MANY CGNers because I can. Many due to marketplace games.

Funny how someone would be waiting on a better offer than $1000-1100 on a $1250 gun lowered to $1200 but to each their own. What could possibly be the magic number, $1190.45?

Actually I do disagree with some here and do believe their can be insulting offers and that is a good way for me to put you on ignore. If someone offers you well less than half for a gun priced with a consistent level of sales around that price I find it time wasting and silly and insulting.

I've known people that have gotten offers of like $200-300 for guns that will generally sell for $800 or extremely lopsided trade offers. Can this possibly ever work here? Or work on a consistent basis? I seriously doubt it.
Old 04-19-2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Whoosh. That's the sound of this one going over your head
4C3484A2-C999-4927-9AC9-0F6BB84F5301.jpg
Old 04-19-2018, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
You sound like someone who doesnt understand the meaning of the words in an offer.

The Best offer is the highest one recieved, not one above a certwin unspoken threshold.

“Or best reasonable offer” means what you think, incorrectly, “or best offer” means.

Edit, to clarify, i dont think he HAS to accept an offer, but he should learn common courtesy and respond, and not like a douche.

Obo INVITES offers at less, thats what it means. Dont get butt hurt when your ad works.
Once again. A nail gets hit in the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 04-19-2018, 6:55 PM

People here are too sensitive. I am a serial low-baller on CL and Offer-Up. Sometimes I end up with stuff that I do not really care if I have or not, but the person accepted a 50% offer so I end up with a good score.

On the other hand, I get mildly entertained when I have something posted for sale and get low-balled. Moral of the story, there is no such thing as a low-ball offer, just an offer you are not willing to accept.
Old 04-19-2018, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackrite View Post
People here are too sensitive. I am a serial low-baller on CL and Offer-Up. Sometimes I end up with stuff that I do not really care if I have or not, but the person accepted a 50% offer so I end up with a good score.

On the other hand, I get mildly entertained when I have something posted for sale and get low-balled. Moral of the story, there is no such thing as a low-ball offer, just an offer you are not willing to accept.
I think offering $100-200 either cash or trade value on a gun say worth $800 and sells for that consistently is lowballing and a waste of time.
Old 04-19-2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
I think offering $100-200 either cash or trade value on a gun say worth $800 and sells for that consistently is lowballing and a waste of time.
That may be the case in the CA gun resale market specifically due to govt. interference, but in general, buying/selling private party items it is fair game.

I think offering what is $100 over fair market value outside of CA on an off-roster gun being sold in CA, but listed at twice MSRP, is fair when it is BTT'd in perpetuity.
Old 04-19-2018, 7:36 PM

when someone puts OBO in a for sale ad they should expect all sorts of offers. Some close, some not even in the same ball park, and each one deserves a polite common courtesy denial. How badly does the seller want to sell the gun and how badly does the buyer want it? And what about the state not enforcing the limit of guns any individual can sell in a certain period. Many sellers on this sight act more like dealers than individual owners. Common courtesy and a polite decline should be the rule of the day if you chose not to sell at a price you are offered. I rarely buy on this site because better dealers and individuals contact me privately by regular e-mail with items all the time.