Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Default Carrying in AZ with a CA CCW, Question.

If I have a CA CCW in Arizona, can I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol provided there is no sign and I do not consume alcohol?

It looks like that is ok for AZ permit holders but I am unsure if that applies to CA CCW holders (minutiae, I know but I would like to know)
Old 04-25-2019, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Isnt AZ constitutional carry?

Away from a school zone, i think you can operate under AZ rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-25-2019, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post

Restaurant’s serving alcohol was not allowed without a permit as I understand it.

I found the info I needed buried on a page I already visited but missed the first time, Out of state permit is good to go.
Old 04-25-2019, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Default Carrying in AZ with a CA CCW, Question.

Still depends on the conditions of your agency. Not juts I’m the AZ conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Still depends on the conditions of your agency. Not juts I’m the AZ conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point, I am good to go in that regards
Old 04-25-2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post
If I have a CA CCW in Arizona, can I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol provided there is no sign and I do not consume alcohol?

It looks like that is ok for AZ permit holders but I am unsure if that applies to CA CCW holders (minutiae, I know but I would like to know)
Since you have the CA CCW, have you asked your instructor if he/she has credentials for AZ? You could just get your AZ permit by mail. You would then have a permit valid for NV if you didn't already.
Old 04-25-2019, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castgold View Post
Since you have the CA CCW, have you asked your instructor if he/she has credentials for AZ? You could just get your AZ permit by mail. You would then have a permit valid for NV if you didn't already.
I have everything necessary (forms, training, etc) for an non resident CCW, I just won’t get it in time for my AZ trip
Old 04-25-2019, 2:47 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have everything necessary (forms, training, etc) for an non resident CCW, I just won’t get it in time for my AZ trip
As I understand it, yes you are good to go as AZ honors all state permits. If you're in a jail cell in Payson you can tell the jailer the HVAC guy from CalGuns said it was ok...

So yeah I think you legal to do so, but I'm not going to bail you out.
Old 04-25-2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castgold View Post
If you have a CA CCW it doesn't matter what 'credentials' the instructor has you can use your CA CCW for obtaining a AZ CCW.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 04-25-2019, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
As I understand it, yes you are good to go as AZ honors all state permits. If you're in a jail cell in Payson you can tell the jailer the HVAC guy from CalGuns said it was ok...
I’m going to print your post out and put it with my CCW just in case
Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 PM
retired Goon

Quote:

You should be good-to-go.

The AZ laws citing permit holders are exempt [ARS 4-244], cites the AZ laws that also lets AZ honor other States permits [ARS 13-3112].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post

Under AZ laws...

Establishment that sells alcohol for consumption (bar/resturant) with no posted signs = only legal to carry there when you have a valid carry permit.

Establishment that sells alcohol for consumpton with a posted no firearms sign = not legal to carry.

If you do not have a valid carry permit and are carrying under constitutional carry, then it's never legal for you to carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption.

Regardless, if you can legally carry there or not, it's never legal to carry and consume alcohol in AZ.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-25-2019 at 11:46 PM..
Old 04-25-2019, 11:44 PM
retired Goon

Arizona Revised Statue 4-244
It is unlawful:
30. For a licensee or employee to knowingly permit a person in possession of a firearm other than a peace officer while on duty or off duty or a member of a sheriff's volunteer posse while on duty who has received firearms training that is approved by the Arizona peace officer standards and training board, a retired peace officer as defined in section 38-1113 or an honorably retired law enforcement officer who has been issued a certificate of firearms proficiency pursuant to section 13-3112, subsection T, the licensee or an employee of the licensee acting with the permission of the licensee to remain on the licensed premises or to serve, sell or furnish spirituous liquor to a person in possession of a firearm while on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer. It shall be a defense to action under this paragraph if the licensee or employee requested assistance of a peace officer to remove such person. This paragraph shall not apply to:
(c) A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 who carries a concealed handgun on the licensed premises of any on-sale retailer that has not posted a notice pursuant to section 4-229.

Arizona Revised Statue 13-3112
Q. This state and any political subdivision of this state shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:
1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.
2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:
(a) Legally present in this state.
(b) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
This was my time line for getting an AZ CCW permit.

Mailed my AZ CCW application on 12-31-2018.
Recieved my AZ CCW permit on 01-09-2019.

AZ approval letter indicates it was approved on 01-05-2019 and mailed on 01-07-2019.

Old 04-30-2019, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quiet, thank you very much for the exact citation, that is the kind of stuff that lets me sleep better.
Old 04-30-2019, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Also note, that a licensed person carrying does not have to comply with a no firearms sign unless it specifically states no CCW in accordance with AZ 4-229. A gun in a crossed out red circle can be ignored.

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice

A. A person may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.

3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the violation.

2. Any one or more of the following apply:

(a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.

(b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.

(c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty days before the violation.

D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make them available at no cost to licensees.

E. The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred ten pound index. The lettering and pictogram shall consume a space at least six inches by nine inches. The letters constituting the words "no firearms allowed" shall be at least three-fourths of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical inch. Nothing shall prohibit a licensee from posting additional signs at one or more locations on the premises.
A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.
Old 05-01-2019, 7:25 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I’m going to print your post out and put it with my CCW just in case
I encourage it.

And I am often reminded the last time I was at Leff-T's in Dewey, there were about three people sitting on barstools with open sidearms and a deputy sheriff a few feet away in the booth eating a burger. I wouldn't try that in PHX metro, but apparently it's just not something that's rigorously enforced in Dewey. And I'm pretty sure they weren't drinking a sarsaparilla.
Old 05-01-2019, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Regardless, if you can legally carry there or not, it's never legal to carry and consume alcohol in AZ.
Your citations are normally impeccable; where is it for this statement?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:42 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Your citations are normally impeccable; where is it for this statement?
To be more exact, I should edit my statement to...

"Regardless, if you can legally carry there or not, it's never legal to carry and consume alcohol in an establishment that is licensed by AZ DLLC. [ARS 4-244]

Arizona Revised Statute 4-244
It is unlawful:
31. For any person in possession of a firearm while on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer to consume spirituous liquor. This paragraph does not prohibit the consumption of small amounts of spirituous liquor by an undercover peace officer on assignment to investigate the licensed establishment.

Old 05-11-2019, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
Also note, that a licensed person carrying does not have to comply with a no firearms sign unless it specifically states no CCW in accordance with AZ 4-229. A gun in a crossed out red circle can be ignored.
The signs I saw were standardized in establishments with alcohol. There were a scattering of general "no firearms" signs in various places that didn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason and that if I had reason to visit those places I would have felt comfortable ignoring.

There was a standardized sticker on an establishment that served no liquor I was kind of curious about if I could ignore that one or not but it wasn't really a deal. I secured my firearms in my lockbox in only two places, Grand Canyon around the visitor center, those all were federal facilities and so I just wasn't going to mess with it, they also had posted signs at the entrance to the buildings. And there was a place serving liquor that had a sign properly posted. Outside of that it was generally not a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I encourage it.

And I am often reminded the last time I was at Leff-T's in Dewey, there were about three people sitting on barstools with open sidearms and a deputy sheriff a few feet away in the booth eating a burger.
I was in a bar in Prescott that there were 3 open carry people sitting in the bar that appeared to be having a beer. One of my servers in another establishment had a Vaquero in a holster but it was unloaded.

I enjoyed my time in AZ immensely, I am sure that had as much to do with spending no time in the PHX metro area at all as the gun laws. The smaller cities and town in the North and South of the state were great places to visit.
Old 05-11-2019, 1:44 PM

For me this is simple, when in doubt- don't.

But I check laws before stepping into another state, so I am rarely in doubt.
Old 05-24-2019, 5:39 PM

Default AZ CCW Permit for Outta staters

Ya'll are in good luck, save ur money, the law has changed. No matter what state ur from, while visiting AZ for whatever reason, you no longer need a permit to carry. As long as you are 21 and have the right to own a handgun, you can carry open or concealed. You still cannot purchase a firearm here, so save ur cash and your time. Now, getting to the question about firearms in restaurants/bars. If you see the no firearm sign, its best to obey it. Unlike CA where you have the right to carry in places that post the no gun rule, but all you have to do is leave the premises, otherwise its trespassing. If you carry in to any establishment in AZ that posts the sign, and most likely will have the ordinance along with it, you better stay out. You can have ur firearm confiscated and go to jail. You wouldn't guess that, as AZ is usually thought of as a state that is more liberal to the people in a lot of ways. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
Ya'll are in good luck, save ur money, the law has changed. No matter what state ur from, while visiting AZ for whatever reason, you no longer need a permit to carry. As long as you are 21 and have the right to own a handgun, you can carry open or concealed. You still cannot purchase a firearm here, so save ur cash and your time. Now, getting to the question about firearms in restaurants/bars. If you see the no firearm sign, its best to obey it. Unlike CA where you have the right to carry in places that post the no gun rule, but all you have to do is leave the premises, otherwise its trespassing. If you carry in to any establishment in AZ that posts the sign, and most likely will have the ordinance along with it, you better stay out. You can have ur firearm confiscated and go to jail. You wouldn't guess that, as AZ is usually thought of as a state that is more liberal to the people in a lot of ways. Hope this helps.

If you don't know the law, it is probably best not to answer. Many people have quoted the laws above. The original poster is 100% aware of Arizona's constitutional carry provisions. He was asking because without a permit in Arizona, you may not carry in an establishment that serves alcohol.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 06-04-2019, 2:23 PM

Yes u most certainly can carry, I am an Arizona resident along with Cal. You are no longer required to even have a ccw in Arizona if you are visiting from another state. All you must be is 21 and legally allowed to possess a firearm, and you may carry openly or concealed. Pick up the phone and call DPS in Phoenix.
Old 06-04-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
Yes u most certainly can carry, I am an Arizona resident along with Cal. You are no longer required to even have a ccw in Arizona if you are visiting from another state. All you must be is 21 and legally allowed to possess a firearm, and you may carry openly or concealed. Pick up the phone and call DPS in Phoenix.
Nobody is saying you cannot in most circumstances. Without a permit, you need to worry about the gun free schools zones (federal law) and under Arizona law, you may not carry in any establishment that sells alcohol without a permit. Again, reference the laws quoted above.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 06-04-2019, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

AZ honors your permit https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...n-laws/#ca-map

But, now you have 2 sets of rules to follow AZ and any rules CA and your issuing agency have.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 AM

Will someone puleeeeeeeez tell me where I can download or get the Az permit packet or paperwork. I have a Ca Ccw and trying to get a Az one non resident....any help would be nice....����
Old 08-29-2019, 12:20 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If you carry in AZ with a CA permit, you are doing it wrong. You are subject to all conditions and limitations of your CA permit.

If you have a CA permit, you can have a AZ permit by mail in 2 weeks for ~$60 and there is no additional training or certificate required, and it is good for 5yrs. You need a set of rolled fingerprints included one time, then after that it is as easy as putting a stamp on an envelope for renewals every 5yrs.

And that AZ permit is recognized by a great many states, including NV.

Seriously, wth...

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-29-2019 at 12:22 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
If you carry in AZ with a CA permit, you are doing it wrong. You are subject to all conditions and limitations of your CA permit.

If you have a CA permit, you can have a AZ permit by mail in 2 weeks for ~$60 and there is no additional training or certificate required, and it is good for 5yrs. You need a set of rolled fingerprints included one time, then after that it is as easy as putting a stamp on an envelope for renewals every 5yrs.

And that AZ permit is recognized by a great many states, including NV.

Seriously, wth...
How, where do I get this info...I have read up to my damm eyeballs about what you said and I appreciate it. But WHERE do I find that info.. links, webpage...where can I see that???
Old 08-29-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
How, where do I get this info...I have read up to my damm eyeballs about what you said and I appreciate it. But WHERE do I find that info.. links, webpage...where can I see that???
AZ DPS (Arizona Department of Public Safety).
Links for email or phone on their website.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 4:56 AM

Very easy just follow instructions, most UPS stores will roll fingerprints. I sent mine off and got it back and done in 3 weeks, done.

https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp