Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-29-2018, 2:11 PM

Default How to determine fair market prices?

What references do you guys use to price your (somewhat rare) guns that you want to sell?
Old 07-29-2018, 2:13 PM

Marketplace, gunbroker, other gun forum market places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-29-2018, 2:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Gunbroker, armslist.
Old 07-29-2018, 2:38 PM

The problem with the marketplace is that prices are removed after the gun sells. As for gunbroker and other national marketplaces, there is no consideration for the gun being off-list.
Old 07-29-2018, 2:41 PM

Also the Blue Book of Gun Values.
Old 07-29-2018, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark View Post
The problem with the marketplace is that prices are removed after the gun sells. As for gunbroker and other national marketplaces, there is no consideration for the gun being off-list.
The concept of fair market price in Cali is basically whack. It’s whatever someone will pay.

Either watch the market intently or ask here....or just put it up for your max value. If it doesn’t sell, drop the price as needed.

Old 07-29-2018, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Just do a search on the Marketplace and see what others are asking for a similar gun. If they keep bumping their ad, then that price is too high. If someone posts an ad and it gets sold quickly, then it is too low. All depends on how fast you want to move your firearm.
Old 07-29-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
The concept of fair market price in Cali is basically whack. It’s whatever someone will pay.

Either watch the market intently or ask here....or just put it up for your max value. If it doesn’t sell, drop the price as needed.

Agreed.

California owners typically sell much higher than other states...

Marlin 45-70 $900 bnib in freestates
Marlin 45-70 $1400 used in California

I can give a lot of examples. I know what cost is on almost every weapon.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Federal Drug Enforcement Officer 2012-2016

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor
Old 07-29-2018, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

GunBroker completed auctions and only if there are more than 1-2 examples. On off roster handguns especially if desirable ones you have to do your best to determine what they sell for on here.

I try to leave up prices but for various reasons I don't always leave up my sales posts. I do agree is annoying sometimes when people remove them. You don't have to add an off roster premium but if you don't just realize someone will most likely buy it from you and just resell it for profit.

I don't consider off roster handgun premiums "gouging" as there is actually laws not just panic that causes limited supply and high demand and they are generally a want not a need.
Old 07-29-2018, 7:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Create a free account on gun broker

Advance Search for completed auctions. See items that actually sold

If a handgun, you might add $100 for an off roster gun in California

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

- If the Democrats thought for one seconds that Illegals were voting republican, You'd see the Border Wall from Space! - Abe Lincoln
Old 07-29-2018, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been saying it for years.

Its not what a gun is worth, its what it will sell for in today's market.
Old 07-29-2018, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Just because a gun is off roster doesn't mean it's worth more in California than in free America.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 07-29-2018, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Just because a gun is off roster doesn't mean it's worth more in California than in free America.

Depends on the gun. The saying something is worth what someone will pay for it has some truth.
Old 07-29-2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Agreed.

I agree with both these guys.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:48 PM

If you really want to sell it adhere to the advice posted above. If you want to annoy legitimate buyers; list the gun at 20% above retail as most calguns sellers do, and then drop the price 10% for each page of bumps you create.
Old 07-30-2018, 4:42 AM
From Anotha Motha
CGN Contributor

Take a 10% haircut on the price on Calguns marketplace.
Old 07-30-2018, 6:25 AM

If it’s not on the roster: multiply msrp X3 and add first born child.

If it’s on the roster: still pay msrp. i.e. Gen3 Glocks used for $500
Old 07-30-2018, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Got an example?

Old 07-30-2018, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Erma 22lr Luger
Most Taurus
Most Llama
Smith Value Series
All of the Ring of Fire guns
Quote:
Got an example?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 07-30-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Depends on the gun. The saying something is worth what someone will pay for it has some truth.
eggzactly. What am I willing to part with it for... Usually for normal boring on-roster guns I do about MSRP less 10-20%. Probably could hold out for more, but I like quick easy sales.
Old 07-30-2018, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Erma 22lr Luger
Most Taurus
Most Llama
Smith Value Series
All of the Ring of Fire guns

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ok, makes sense. All the guns nobody wants....thus no premium.

Old 07-30-2018, 8:58 AM

In California, are used prices for handguns reflecting the ability to bypass the 1 in 30 day limit?
Old 07-30-2018, 9:11 AM

Quote:

What someone is willing/able to pay is the definition of fair market value. Everything seems to be more expensive in CA. It figures that someone who is willing/able to pay for a $600k+ house can afford a $1500 off roster gun that sells for $500 anywhere else.

If it's at fair market value, give or take 10%, it will sell sooner or later. If not, it probably won't sell. I remember some guy on here trying to sell a Raven 25 for around $400. Far as I know, it never sold. A $1200 Gen 5 Glock 19 will probably sell pretty quick and so is roughly "fair market value" in CA. Regardless of what we'd like to pay.

There is some truth is having some value in bypassing the 1 in 30 limit. It seems that some people are willing to pay near full price for used, on roster guns.
Old 07-30-2018, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
What someone is willing/able to pay is the definition of fair market value. Everything seems to be more expensive in CA. It figures that someone who is willing/able to pay for a $600k+ house can afford a $1500 off roster gun that sells for $500 anywhere else.

If it's at fair market value, give or take 10%, it will sell sooner or later. If not, it probably won't sell. I remember some guy on here trying to sell a Raven 25 for around $400. Far as I know, it never sold. A $1200 Gen 5 Glock 19 will probably sell pretty quick and so is roughly "fair market value" in CA. Regardless of what we'd like to pay.

There is some truth is having some value in bypassing the 1 in 30 limit. It seems that some people are willing to pay near full price for used, on roster guns.
Exactly, fair market is just what folks are willing to pay for the gun here in the PRK.

It depends a lot on the gun and how quickly you want to sell it. If you have a Sig Legion the fair market seems to be 100% mark up over retail, same is true for some Colt 1911's, definitely true for any off roster 9mm 1911 or 2011.

Buyers always define "fair" as the lowest price possible, those exact same folks when they are sellers try to capitalize as much as possible on the PRK / off roster premium.

The fact is if it is a gun that you can't walk into your LGS on any given day and buy then there is going to be some markup / premium.
Old 07-30-2018, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I see ring of fire guns here with very high asking prices I don't think most sell I think at slight premiums they do though.

Most CGNers don't buy guns in the numbers where they would benefit from buying PPT and not dealing with one a month but there are a few serious high volume buyers here where it is a benefit. I have a feeling the average CGNer only owns 10 or less guns.

That is where paying a small premium may make sense on some on roster guns or less desirable off roster ones. I recently reacquired a generic as new in box Ruger GP100 blued finish. I mainly bought because it was kind of a two for one deal.

I most likely will sell or trade it as I already own 3 GP100's and multiple other 357 Mag revolvers. A new one is $670 at Turner's so not sure where to price it $500ish may be too high. I probably wouldn't sell less than $450. Buyer avoids 1 a month and also something not mentioned, no tax.

One problem is many sellers when reselling I think they to recoup their tax and DROS on the the price they ask on their used gun.
Old 07-30-2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark View Post
What references do you guys use to price your (somewhat rare) guns that you want to sell?
I was just on the Demand side. At the end of the day, price was not much of a factor because of the 'need' and 'purpose' behind the purchase. Fair Price is highly subjective and it will depend on the 'why' propelling your buyer.

Are they detail oriented? Do they have the time required to do the necessary homework on pricing their purchase? Do they even care about price?

I searched every publicly open and broadly available source for my purchase and was confident in the price being $100 - $200+ below what I've seen others pay for the same firearm. I could have bought it $300 below, but the source and delivery conditions were sketchy in my mind. So, I walked.

It wasn't because I could not have afforded to spend 20 times more on the same pistol, but because I cared about doing things the right way - which by definition meant - driving my costs down as much as possible.

Moral of the story is that Demand should dictate the strike price. If there is no Demand, Supply has nothing to Bid into. Cause must precede net Effect. If you are really serious about it, then you'll have to explore the real reasons behind the market's ultimate purchase decision. You might have something that pulls a higher price, because of its unique nature and the unique demand for it. Or, you could have something unique that simply does not have sufficient Demand to suggest a premium be paid for it.

Macro and Micro Economics is a flicked thing.

Last edited by HK9; 07-30-2018 at 9:50 AM..
Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 AM
From Anotha Motha
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkohatsu View Post
In California, are used prices for handguns reflecting the ability to bypass the 1 in 30 day limit?
You're asking whether people here pay slightly higher price for a used gun compared to the used price in another state, for the privilege of being able to buy more than 1 handgun every 30 days?

I doubt it.
1. People do a PPT to buy off roster handguns, which they can't buy from a store. So they actually pay more.

2. They also PPT hard to find or older handguns. They'll pay just a market value for that and not pay extra to bypass 1 in 30 because these older handguns aren't readily available in a store anyway. Assuming the same old handgun is being sold in a store, it's probably a consignment sale, which isn't subject to 1 in 30 rule anyway. Then the decision comes down to condition, price, and convenience.

3. People decide to PPT used handguns to save money. 1 in 30 rule is irrelevant to them.

4. Lastly there are some people who want to buy 2 handguns at the same time, but not willing to wait 30 days. Will they buy one in the marketplace that's slightly overpriced? Perhaps, but that price will be lower than the store price so is he really buying it PPT to bypass the 1 in 30 or for the lower price? I would say for the lower price.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

I post in the marketplace at what I would happily let it go for. I drop the price $50 a week until I start getting offers.
Old 07-30-2018, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Agreed.

I can see the pricing to be inflated for off-roster pistols. I don't see how it would be much different for rifles. If there is a huge difference then one can buy it out of state and pay the $50-$100 or so FFL fee to receive and then DROS it.