Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-23-2010, 1:13 PM

So which one do you recommend out of the three for us poor people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
8GB of phone memory, and a 16GB card for data.

I went last night and picked up an X and rooted it. Now I have the top three, Droid, Incredible, and X. Yeah, I can be a hardware whore.

I figured since root was in and it's obviously going to get 2.2 in the short term I'd grab the X for the screen size and camera.

First thing I did when I got it home was rooted and removed the junk apps like Blockbuster, Verizon's hotspot app, and Amazon MP3 along with some others. then got to installing my apps and launcher. Only things I'm missing right now that I have on the Droid with 2.2 that I really use is automatic market updates and Flash.

It's a nice device though, after putting a couple hours on it, I like it okay.
Old 07-23-2010, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
So which one do you recommend out of the three for us poor people?
Depends on what you want.

If you want to root the phone and run custom roms, and overclock... at this time I would say the Droid 1. I'm going to continue making this my test/toy phone that I will be installing custom OS builds on. I'm actually building the Froyo source for it right now to play with building images myself from AOSP. The Droid 1 has been EOL'd, and warranty replacements for the Droid 1 are now going to be a lesser phone, if the reports online are correct. Only problem I've had on my D1 is the battery door will like to come off when it's in the holster sometimes...

If you don't like the larger screen of the X, and don't want the keyboard of the Droid 1, the Incredible is very nice. The processor is quick, but the battery life is a little short.

If you want a larger screen (which spaces out the on-screen keyboard nicely) and don't care about ROMs (the bootloader is secured) the X is very nice. The build quality feels very nice. Also, the battery door on this one is very secure.

Just remember that LTE/4G is around the corner and you will probably want a new device as soon as that hits your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 07-23-2010, 1:58 PM

I take it the LTE 4G will be worth the waiting? Thanks for the info by the way.
Old 07-23-2010, 2:46 PM

Is there any way to unlock the Incredible and run it on Tmobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.
Old 07-23-2010, 4:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Yes, the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard. Guys, the fact that the Droid X can now be rooted may not sound like much but its like getting a huge upgrade.

Like stormy_clothing mentioned "free wifi tethering" I think Verizon is charging around $20.00 per month for this service. What this is, is you can use your phone as a free wifi hotspot for your laptop or ipad or whatever. You can be out in the desert shooting and log into CG and post pictures of your mayhem... if you wanted to do something like that.
Yep, much better then getting extorted out of another $20/month to use a service you've already paid for (3G Data).

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-23-2010, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy334 View Post
Is there any way to unlock the Incredible and run it on Tmobile?
No, T-Mobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-23-2010, 6:15 PM

What's "rooting"?

NRA Life Member
Old 07-23-2010, 6:22 PM

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04...android-phone/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoTA View Post
What's "rooting"?

Old 07-24-2010, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Z_l View Post
those things are expensive...guess i'll wait a bit for the price to go down...then again what would i put on it that i would need 32gb?
I do what we call site walks once or twice a week where I and a couple of other technicians visit cellular sites and I take at least 75-100 pictures per site sometimes we do one site sometimes we do 6 and since the droid x has an awesome camera I've been using that lately as opposed to my digital camera. Its one less thing to bring with me out in the field.
Old 07-25-2010, 2:26 PM

My first ever smart phone post. Liking my X so far.

-*Deep Thoughts* by Jack Handy
Old 07-25-2010, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

I went and fondled an X today and I wasn't too impressed. I like the large screen, but the physical buttons on the bottom make it seem archaic, reminds of me of cheap remote control buttons.

I have an Incredible that I recently picked up because I broke my iPhone 4 and I'm very happy with it. Very similar to the iPhone, but what it lacks appearance and feel it makes up for in service and it's "moddability".

Personally I'm not a fan of Motorola, so that doesn't really help either. I got burned back in the day by the shoddily constructed RAZR and ever since then I've always been a skeptic of Motorola.
Old 07-26-2010, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
I went and fondled an X today and I wasn't too impressed. I like the large screen, but the physical buttons on the bottom make it seem archaic, reminds of me of cheap remote control buttons.

I think the physical buttons on the bottom are one of the X's strong suits. But as they say YMMV.

Last edited by vf111; 07-26-2010 at 2:09 PM..
Old 07-26-2010, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice5610 View Post
I do what we call site walks once or twice a week where I and a couple of other technicians visit cellular sites and I take at least 75-100 pictures per site sometimes we do one site sometimes we do 6 and since the droid x has an awesome camera I've been using that lately as opposed to my digital camera. Its one less thing to bring with me out in the field.
I actually don't think the camera is all that great - I tried taking a pic of my GF Saturday night while she was on the dance floor w/ one of her GF's and the thing kept focusing on the lit background - now I have perfectly exposed photos of that but not them. I suppose its good enough for an emergency or when there's nothing else available but a dedicated camera is still way better.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM

This is a GUI program to root/unroot your DroidX phone. No Android SDK install required. All drivers are installed if needed.
Just two buttons, ROOT and UNROOT! Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be rooted in a matter of seconds!

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE USB DEBUGGING ENABLED UNDER System > Applications > Development ON YOUR PHONE!
EDIT: If it doesn't root and you are turning Bluetooth on and off, try turning WiFi on/off instead!

Microsoft Windows only. You need the .NET 3.5 Framework but Vista and Windows 7 already come with the framework.
Enjoy!

YOU MUST EXTRACT ALL OF THE FOLDERS, ETC. THEN RUN! OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK.

Personally I think the camera rocks...

Last edited by Blacky; 07-27-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is a GUI program to root/unroot your DroidX phone. No Android SDK install required. All drivers are installed if needed.
Just two buttons, ROOT and UNROOT! Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be rooted in a matter of seconds!
I would advise against this, personally.

It's simple enough to install the adb shell and follow the commands.

Maybe if the author included his .net source code with that .zip file I would trust it, but unless I see exactly what commands he's passing in, I wouldn't blindly use it.

Heck, you can even root w/o using adb, I did it that way to test both methods and they work. the non-adb root method takes less than 5 minutes, just a little typing, but you know what you did in this case, unlike if you just push a button.

Quote:
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM

It works just fine. Anyone rooting their phone for the first time, make sure you read everything before you do anything. It wouldn't hurt to read the entire thread to see the mistakes other people have made too. People that have had trouble are usually the ones that just dive right in w/o really reading directions. Its kind of like building IKIA furniture

"It looks like Android 2.2 (Froyo) will be making its way to your devices very soon. Thanks to a Verizon tipster who claims that the Motorola Droid X, the HTC Droid Incredible, and the Motorola Droid will be receiving the Android 2.2 update at the same time."

In other news...
"Up until yesterday, your handset manufacturer had the right to deactivate your device if they found it on a different network or running a custom ROM. Effective today, that changes. The Library of Congress' Copyright Office announced a few exemptions from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , among which include a new exemption that will allow users to jailbreak, root, and install unapproved applications
on phones, including Android smartphones."
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sure it works, but my point (as you mentioned) is that people that don't know what they are doing should do some research.

It's very simple to throw together a .net app to do this, I actually was going to do it for myself here. However, I don't know what the person who wrote this app's experience level is. Did they debug their code? do they null all references, etc? What happens if a n00b hits root twice? Does it error check, etc? We don't really know if we don't have the source.

That's my only concern with using blind apps when the manual steps aren't that difficult. I never endorse stuff like this.. once you do and a n00b claims it bricked their phone (doubtful, but never underestimate a n00b ) they will cry for days.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, off my rant now , here's a cool app I like called Congress:

Quote:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:04 PM

AppBrain - The easiest way to manage your apps.

----------------

Awesome Drop (File Sync).

Quote:
- Drag and drop to sync files to your phone from a web browser
- Drag files into the dropbox on the web and they sync to your phone.
- No account required!
- Sync music, sync photos, sync documents, sync videos, sync any file
- Use HTML5 drag & drop (FireFox 3.6, Chrome 5 & Safari 5) to sync files to your phone from a web dropbox.

An alternative to DropBox or USB, Works on Mac or PC, If you're going to do a bunch of MP3's you might want to stick with USB but this is a great app for quick dropping a few files at a time.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Oh, off my rant now
Was that a rant? I thought you had to many frappuccinos
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hah. Not really a rant, but yeah, just hate to see people new to the platform jump in w/o reading a little. I've seen so many threads since the D1 was rooted with people jumping in and trying to flash a ROM w/o even knowing what they're getting into. Then they end up asking the same question that was posted in the thread, after stating "I'm not going to read all 25 pages of posts....Help!".

Quote:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM

I guess I'm a geek, I like reading directions.

Smart Shortcuts - When you get over 100 or more apps it gets to be a pain keeping track of everything, this little app will save you a bunch of headaches.
Old 07-27-2010, 1:12 PM

Went to Verizon to pull the trigger on the Droid X. Luckily they had run out so I didn't spend any money. Gonna wait for awhile now.

All this talk about "Rooting" made me think of my colonoscopy.
Old 07-28-2010, 8:45 AM

I prefer Dropbox over Awesome Drop. It requires an account (free up to 2gigs) but it lets me share stuff between multiple computers, phones etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.dropbox.android

Last edited by Tacom; 07-28-2010 at 8:55 AM..
Old 07-28-2010, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf111 View Post
I actually don't think the camera is all that great - I tried taking a pic of my GF Saturday night while she was on the dance floor w/ one of her GF's and the thing kept focusing on the lit background - now I have perfectly exposed photos of that but not them. I suppose its good enough for an emergency or when there's nothing else available but a dedicated camera is still way better.
There are ways to setup the camera. For your situation you should activate fthe face recognition feature which would have focused on your gf as opposed to the background
Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacom View Post
I prefer Dropbox over Awesome Drop. It requires an account (free up to 2gigs) but it lets me share stuff between multiple computers, phones etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.dropbox.android
As I said, its a good alternative. Dropbox moves files in both directions, Awesome Drop only moves files on to your phone. With Awesome Drop you can move files off any platform that connects to the web without installing any software to that device. Dropbox has been around for a while, Ive got it on all of my laptops, desktop and Android.

You guys struggling with the camera might want to try Vignette (demo version). So much better than the default app. This is actually one of the few that Ill pay for.
Old 07-28-2010, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
In other news...
"Up until yesterday, your handset manufacturer had the right to deactivate your device if they found it on a different network or running a custom ROM. Effective today, that changes. The Library of Congress' Copyright Office announced a few exemptions from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , among which include a new exemption that will allow users to jailbreak, root, and install unapproved applications
on phones, including Android smartphones."
This doesn't prevent manufacturers from making it as hard as possible to do so.

Old 07-28-2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
This doesn't prevent manufacturers from making it as hard as possible to do so.
Not that that matters, its just an incentive for some bored hacker to tear it down.
Old 07-28-2010, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not that that matters, its just an incentive for some bored hacker to tear it down.
The HTC Droid Eris hasn't been rooted since 2.1 came out. The only people who have 2.1 rooted on that phone are the ones who rooted it before updating. Nobody has managed to root a stock 2.1 Eris as of yet (and they have been trying), and it may not happen. We'll be seeing more phones that cannot be easily rooted in the near future.

Old 07-28-2010, 6:03 PM

JDay have you tried the KaosFroyo?
Old 07-28-2010, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
JDay have you tried the KaosFroyo?
No I haven't, there's currently issues with froyo and getting internet to work with apps on my provider (not using Verizon).

Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Droid X?

So is everyone bored with their Droid X by now? I still can't put mine down. It just keeps getting better every day. I rooted mine last weekend, I freaking love it.
Old 08-16-2010, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

Not bored at all. I actually gave my original Droid to my wife's friend.

Custom recovery should be out shortly on ClockWorkMod, and possibly via Alldroid. There's all kinds of High School drama with AllDroid though (We did it first, I didn't give you permission!), so I'll probably stick with CWM as it's the more professional solution.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010, 6:00 PM

I must be doing something wrong...I'm not liking my Droid. Email format was so much better on my Blackberry...
Old 08-16-2010, 6:17 PM

Quote:
I take it the LTE 4G will be worth the waiting? Thanks for the info by the way.
You do realize that you dont have to wait for the phone to be released in the US right? I bought a HTC phone from a dealer in California a year before it was realeased by ATT. And yes it worked just fine. World phones are what they are. You probably could have had the Droid X about 8 months ago or whenever they actually went on sale outside of the US.

Downside is you pay premium...$800-$2000 for the phone but you get it now VS waiting until Verizon or ATT or whoever releases it.

For example I had the HTC Touch Pro 2 when the rest of the US was all into the Fuze and HTC Touch Pro. I had it for about 9 months. Then the Touch Pro 2 came out in the US and I was all ready to upgrade to the Touch Pro 3 but passed for a free iPhone 4.

21 Year Military Veteran
DHS veteran

Last edited by Endless; 08-16-2010 at 6:20 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 7:20 AM

Quote:
I must be doing something wrong...I'm not liking my Droid. Email format was so much better on my Blackberry...
K9 mail and maildroid are popular alternatives to the stock email app so you may want to give them a shot.
Old 08-17-2010, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacom View Post
K9 mail and maildroid are popular alternatives to the stock email app so you may want to give them a shot.
I'll give them a try. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 5:14 PM

someone want to share some light on this eFuse business? it seems like a lot of FUD, but it is giving me pause about rooting my X when I switch over in a week from crAp-T-&T.
Old 08-19-2010, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime View Post
someone want to share some light on this eFuse business? it seems like a lot of FUD, but it is giving me pause about rooting my X when I switch over in a week from crAp-T-&T.
eFuse is likely a non-issue. People bought into the hype of a couple posters on the internet and went wild. My company and so many others have eFuse in their parts and they are not used to brick devices. Doing so would be a nightmare support/lawsuit issue for Moto/Verizon.

The X rooting is simple and a custom recovery mode is now possible. The bootloader is still protected, so any kernel will need to be signed by Moto and be official (no open overclocking with custom kernels right now). Today there was an advanced Android 2.2 image shown off, and is supposed to be available tomorrow morning.

Everything is falling down pretty fast. A few guys with some time were able to hijack the boot sequence and get a custom recovery installed in a few days. I'm also a little bit suspicious that someone inside motorola may leak information about the bootloader locking soon, since someone inside Verizon or Moto is leaking the "official" ROMs well before they go out OTA.

IOW, don't worry.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2010, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Installed 2.2 just after 6am this morning. After the update everything is working well and I'm still rooted. Quadrant scores (for what they are worth) are higher, and beating the Nexus One with 2.2 scores.

Flash is running smooth and I installed the Voice Search tools from the market.

So far, so good, seems a lot like the Droid1's 2.2 leak a few months ago.

Funny thing, Verizon added the VZN Navigator, like anyone will pay to use that when GoogleMaps is free.

Quote: