Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-22-2009, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
It isn't like I'm trying to argue with a professional, but being in IT for 20+ years and building desktop, servers, and fixing laptops for a good chunk of this time I though I'd add a couple of point to the conversation:

Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, Acer - buncha crap and money waste. Pretty much all of them. Unfortunately, business models are better than a consumer grade, but not that much...

I'm surprised that you haven't mention IBM laptops at all? Are they really that bad? And oh, that's the good one - Apple?

And btw - I wouldn't talk about reliability running Windows 7
Have you used Win7? I've been testing it since the first of the year with NO issues at all.

Why didn't I mention IBM? or Apple?

IBM is now Leveno - CHINA You think HP has bad support? Wait till you have to call them...

Apple - $$$$$$$$$$$ ChaCHING!!!!! Apple owners buy apple products and they are die hards. I do not care for Apple products (unfortunately I own an Iphone...) but they do make a good product.

My ***** with apple is the lack of service for those of us who DIO. (Think DIY).

Want to upgrade the hard drive - WRONG, send it to Apple.
Need a new battery for your iPod - BUZZZZZ, sorry, send it to Apple.

WTF is that??? Customer service my butt, more like "Take your money now, and take more money later" service.

Oh, and don't get me started with the "experts" at the Mac Stores... LOL

WTB the following - in San Diego
--COLT Delta Elite 10mm Blued
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 09-23-2009, 6:44 PM

Was busy an couldn't answer earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
Have you used Win7? I've been testing it since the first of the year with NO issues at all.
Well, you've mentioned reliability. And reliability is a stressful load during quite long period of time. So, from that standpoint: how often you have to reboot your system (because of updates or crashes)? What is the typical utilization of that laptop of yours? Internet browsing, emails, documents? Or code development/compilation, heavy product testing? This should give you a very good example of how intensive the resources are allocated/freed, etc.

A common benchmark tests are no good for such things - they are short lived.

Quote:
IBM is now Leveno - CHINA You think HP has bad support? Wait till you have to call them...
Why? It just works... My current X41 is in use for 3+years and I do reboot it like 3 times a year when I build and install new kernel ;-)

Quote:
Apple - $$$$$$$$$$$ ChaCHING!!!!! Apple owners buy apple products and they are die hards. ...
The initial question was: what laptops are good. We aren't talking about incompetence of a particular store's personnel nor how hard it is to upgrade a laptop at home. We are talking about their reliability and the bang for a buck.

BTW, you can upgrade Apple's laptops at home if you need to. I did HDD and memory upgrades for my MacBook Pro a couple of times - no problem at all :-) And ThinkPads are just great DIY computers too. E.g. replacing build-in WiFi card - easy stuff; memory/disk upgrade - not a problem. To be continued...

NRA Life Member
Old 09-23-2009, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Was busy an couldn't answer earlier...

Well, you've mentioned reliability. And reliability is a stressful load during quite long period of time. So, from that standpoint: how often you have to reboot your system (because of updates or crashes)? What is the typical utilization of that laptop of yours? Internet browsing, emails, documents? Or code development/compilation, heavy product testing? This should give you a very good example of how intensive the resources are allocated/freed, etc.

A common benchmark tests are no good for such things - they are short lived.
Access database work, streaming video to my 46" tv, general internet browsing, gmail, ebay, photobucket, works, school, etc.

2GHz C2D proc, 4GB ram. Win7x64, Office 07.

Last time I rebooted was when I shut it down for the night. But since then it's been running non stop downloading torrents. 8 days now straight.

Quote:
Why? It just works... My current X41 is in use for 3+years and I do reboot it like 3 times a year when I build and install new kernel ;-)
Guess you are the only one to own a X41 and not have hardware problems such as a bad motherboard.

Quote:

The initial question was: what laptops are good. We aren't talking about incompetence of a particular store's personnel nor how hard it is to upgrade a laptop at home. We are talking about their reliability and the bang for a buck.

BTW, you can upgrade Apple's laptops at home if you need to. I did HDD and memory upgrades for my MacBook Pro a couple of times - no problem at all :-) And ThinkPads are just great DIY computers too. E.g. replacing build-in WiFi card - easy stuff; memory/disk upgrade - not a problem. To be continued...
Good is in the eye of the beholder.

Good to me doesn't mean my laptop costs the same as a used car.

--Steyr M357A1 357SIG

Old 09-24-2009, 5:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That explains why you're bashing Windows 7, bet you haven't even used it. Btw, true Linux geeks know that you can update the kernel without rebooting using ksplice. Gotta love the stuff that comes out of MIT.

http://www.ksplice.com/

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 09-24-2009, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, but on a home computer it's easier to reboot.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-25-2009, 7:01 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I have sold and deployed hundreds of HP Business Desktop and laptop units over the past 4 years and my clients have been very pleased with their reliability and performance. That being said, their consumer machines definitely have issues.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 09-25-2009, 8:45 AM

Asus makes good laptops, and they look nice too!
Old 09-25-2009, 9:01 AM
In Memoriam

Sheesh. Let's see if we can get agreement on something else.....blond, brunette, or redhead?

Ford, Gm, or Dodge?

9mm, .40, or .45?
Old 09-25-2009, 9:05 AM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

paul0660, you forgot AK vs AR.

oh and

Glock vs (your favorite brand here)
Old 09-25-2009, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
paul0660, you forgot AK vs AR.

oh and

Glock vs (your favorite brand here)

AR and...

There is NO other brand....

--Steyr M357A1 357SIG

Old 09-25-2009, 2:26 PM
Super Moderator

well I guess i'm against the odds.. I have had my HP Pavillion for the last 8yrs with no problems at all and my Toshiba laptop for the last 1 1/2yrs also with no problems.....

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 10-12-2009, 7:56 PM

Question

Does anyone have any issues with Alienware other than price?
How good are their laptops?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 10-12-2009, 8:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Alienware kinda sold out when Bestbuy picked them up. I can't say enough good things about Dell laptops personally.

Honestly, things break, it's part of life. What you want to look for is a company who will back their broken product and make it right.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 10-12-2009, 8:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Alienware was bought by Dell a while back.
Old 10-12-2009, 9:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlivingston View Post
Alienware was bought by Dell a while back.
Yep, and I really like Dell's support.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 11-04-2009, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
If you want a GREAT laptop, buy a Toshiba. Hands down one of the best consumer grade laptops on the market.Theres my .02
Beg to differ. Example: Toshiba Qosmio. My wife's dead Qosmio is still sitting in the box out in the garage. Integrated video board failure - a "known failure" - that Toshiba refused to fix or replace.

Toshiba can kiss my glutei. That's why I have a Dell.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
Beg to differ. Example: Toshiba Qosmio. My wife's dead Qosmio is still sitting in the box out in the garage. Integrated video board failure - a "known failure" - that Toshiba refused to fix or replace.

Toshiba can kiss my glutei. That's why I have a Dell.
Interesting. I'm typing this on my 4.5 year old Toshiba Qosmio G25 laptop.

I also had a video failure (actually IIRC it was the LCD) after two years, but luckily I had the extended service plan from bestbuy that covered the fix. Paid for itself right there. New battery was bonus.

Did a RAM upgrade to 2 gigs as well, but other than that she's running great. I even run Civ 4 on her (yep, still addicted to that game). Not many laptops that can run Civ 4.

-Patrick Henry
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Okay!

So what laptop brands are still worth buyinh?.

I dont wanna buy another 5K Toughbook again!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehn20 View Post
Okay!

So what laptop brands are still worth buyinh?.

I dont wanna buy another 5K Toughbook again!
IBM/Lenovo!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 3:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thats Chinese now!
Old 11-05-2009, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

LOL, reminds me of this thread...

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...35/m/514100691
Old 11-05-2009, 9:24 AM

I bought my thinkpad when it was still IBM about 5 years ago!! Great customer service and I get to talk to real Americans!! Its old still runs like a champ, and I treat it rough too!

My family also owns a X60 tablet and an X40 tablet, zero problems there. I have another friend who owns TWO x41s!

From what I can tell, Lenovo has gone down a LITTLE bit, but I'm pretty sure the customer service is still in the USA and provides very good support!
Old 11-05-2009, 9:31 AM

this laptop,a HP Pavilion needed to be sent back 2 times. Luckily I bought the SC at Best Buy.
Old 11-05-2009, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

My dv9000 had a couple problems. The mobo died in 11 months but it was covered under warranty and was fixed within a week. There was a problem with the screen hinge and since it was a defect, it was fixed for free. Each time I needed to send it in, I was sent an overnight box overnight. Understanding their India tech support is my only problem with HP. After almost 3 years of use, I couldn't be happier with my laptop.
Old 11-06-2009, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

We used to buy Dell computers as a government contractor, which gave us a bunch of extra perks. Dell quality control seems to have declined and they load their computers with tons of cr@p. So, we have been experimenting with other options.

We now build all our desktops and have virtually no problems. We don't need no stinking customer support, although we keep plenty of beer in the fridge just in case. Assembling a computer doesn't take very long, the configuration is exactly what you want with no wasted hardware, and there is no junk software. These computers do exactly what they are designed for; crunching numbers, processing sonar imagery, processing underwater video and photographs and producing very large graphics files.

For laptops, we have been using Apple and Sony as we phase out the last of the Dell computers. We tried HP; MAJOR FAIL. One failure almost right out of the box, and another within a matter of months. The last two Dell laptops (XPS) had horrible graphic card heat problems and eventual graphic card and/or motherboard failure: FAIL. Sure, after talking to some nice Indians we got the computers repaired or replaced, but we want reliability (time jerking off your computer is lost money, sort of like what I'm doing now on Calguns). The Apple laptops have a few quirks that we have had to work through in order to accommodate some software that we use, but have been 100 percent reliable. The Sony VAIO laptops have also been 100 percent reliable, although the one I bought three years ago has a noisy graphics card fan that should be replaced. Since I only use it offshore, its still fine.

I can't say anything about customer support for Apple or Sony since we haven't had to call them, yet.
Old 11-06-2009, 4:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So how do you deal with the Sony rootkits?
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 11-06-2009, 4:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
For laptops, we have been using Apple and Sony as we phase out the last of the Dell computers. We tried HP; MAJOR FAIL. One failure almost right out of the box, and another within a matter of months. The last two Dell laptops (XPS) had horrible graphic card heat problems and eventual graphic card and/or motherboard failure: FAIL. Sure, after talking to some nice Indians we got the computers repaired or replaced, but we want reliability (time jerking off your computer is lost money, sort of like what I'm doing now on Calguns). The Apple laptops have a few quirks that we have had to work through in order to accommodate some software that we use, but have been 100 percent reliable. The Sony VAIO laptops have also been 100 percent reliable, although the one I bought three years ago has a noisy graphics card fan that should be replaced. Since I only use it offshore, its still fine.

I can't say anything about customer support for Apple or Sony since we haven't had to call them, yet.
Apple and Sony both suck when it comes to customer support and I know for a fact Apple doesn't have business support. The problem you had with both HP and Dell is that you were purchasing consumer class machines and not their business class which are far superior. Take a look at these and I bet you'll be pleased.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/index.html

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-07-2009, 9:54 PM

Please stop buying them so I don't have to reformat your computer with a virgin copy of XP because your $400 computer was really $800 before they were paid $5-20 per computer to put ****ty bloatware on the thing. Add up the difference and you will understand why it takes 4 minutes for a boot.
Old 11-08-2009, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
So how do you deal with the Sony rootkits?
Rootkit removal tool.
Old 11-08-2009, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Apple and Sony both suck when it comes to customer support and I know for a fact Apple doesn't have business support. The problem you had with both HP and Dell is that you were purchasing consumer class machines and not their business class which are far superior. Take a look at these and I bet you'll be pleased.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/index.html
HP and Dell computers were purchased through business class on corporate accounts. Still not pleased.
Old 11-08-2009, 2:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
HP and Dell computers were purchased through business class on corporate accounts. Still not pleased.
That XPS you mentioned is not a business class Dell.

Old 11-08-2009, 3:13 PM

Every HP Product I have had has been very solid. When my wife was looking for a laptop she wanted on like my HP but we couldn't find one. She ended up getting a Dell and 6 months later the screen died.

One really annoying thing with HP though, is every new computer they sell is so preloaded with BS that you have to a format of a fresh OS just to have it running like it actually should. When I pay $700 for a damn laptop I don't a bunch of useless ad crap hogging all my systems resources!

Dell on the other hand had maybe a AOL link on the desktop and that was it. I was very impressed when I fired her laptop up for the first time.

The HP junk didn't get in my way to much since I just formatted it and put a new copy of vista (now running 7) on it.
Old 11-08-2009, 3:52 PM

HP is great, I have tons of HP computers and sell them to customers. The customer service is always great. The first people you talk to know nothing, so I act like I know that and always get transfered to someone that knows more like a supervisor. Most people just talk to the first people and never ask to talk to someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 11-08-2009, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That XPS you mentioned is not a business class Dell.
I could be wrong about the specific model. All of our computers from Dell had to be purchased from their business series computers to get the federal government contractor rate and required warranty.
Old 11-09-2009, 1:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I could be wrong about the specific model. All of our computers from Dell had to be purchased from their business series computers to get the federal government contractor rate and required warranty.
Naw, just have to buy them through their government sales division. They'll still sell you anything.

Old 11-09-2009, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Naw, just have to buy them through their government sales division. They'll still sell you anything.
Naw, ordered through the business website, which definitely limited the selection of models. Either way, the last several computers ordered through Dell pretty much sucked, which was disappointing given the number of Dell computers we had purchased over the years. In Dell's defense, Bill Gates (and his software) sucks!
Old 11-09-2009, 7:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Naw, ordered through the business website, which definitely limited the selection of models. Either way, the last several computers ordered through Dell pretty much sucked, which was disappointing given the number of Dell computers we had purchased over the years. In Dell's defense, Bill Gates (and his software) sucks!
There's nothing that ties anyone to Windows. Dell will sell most of their computers without an OS or with Linux installed.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 11-09-2009, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
There's nothing that ties anyone to Windows. Dell will sell most of their computers without an OS or with Linux installed.
True, but try and survive in business without using Microsoft products, especially when clients demand electronic copies of their reports in MS Word. At least I can run Unix on the computers I use for numerical modeling.
Old 11-09-2009, 9:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Many companies use Linux and OSS and they survive. Many foreign governments use Linux and OSS and they survive.

It can be done, it is being done. The only limit is how much time you're willing to put into freeing yourself. Linux isn't like it was 5 years ago. It's a competitive OS that can go head to head with any other OS.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Bill Gates hasn't run Microsoft for a few years now, Steve Ballmer took over as CEO.