Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-10-2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
its because 7 8(ate) 9 duhhhh j/k. but really, my understanding is that there was an issue calling it windows 9 b/c of the old windows 98 platform. maybe they were just to lazy to fix it
Old 08-10-2015, 4:15 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh s.k View Post
its because 7 8(ate) 9 duhhhh j/k. but really, my understanding is that there was an issue calling it windows 9 b/c of the old windows 98 platform. maybe they were just to lazy to fix it

That explanation was bull**** right from the start. The version numbering of Windows that software sees doesn't have anything to do with the names of the versions shown on the splash screen.

They skipped over 9 to make it a visibly clear break from 8, that's all.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 08-10-2015, 7:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

As usual, all my audio drivers would not work with Win 10. Last thing I need are computer problems. I'll let the dust settle for a couple of years (bug fixes and driver developement) before I jump into that shark tank.
Old 08-10-2015, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
As usual, all my audio drivers would not work with Win 10. Last thing I need are computer problems. I'll let the dust settle for a couple of years (bug fixes and driver developement) before I jump into that shark tank.

What kind of sound hardware do you have?

Drivers are easy - Asus had the new drivers available on release day. Took me just a few minutes and a few reboots to get everything updated. Works great, minimal effort. Probably quicker and easier to just update the drivers than to roll back to 7.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Old 08-10-2015, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Some are older devices designed for XP. Some have no driver replacements. Win 10 is so far is not good for audio production when what you have already works fine. I see no reason to use Win 10 here. Maybe it might be better than 7 for video production, but I'm not sold on anything new from Billy Gates until a few pioneers (suckers) figure it all out first.

Billy needs beta testers, I'm not one of them.
Old 08-10-2015, 2:31 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Meh... I finally got the download and installed 10 a few days ago... I'm not overly thrilled... It's not bad, but I don't have a preference for it over 8.1

I don't need Cortana (won't be using it), the start menu is of no relevance to me, Edge is better than IE (but everything is) I still use Firefox... In fact there isn't anything in 10 that makes it better than 8.1 (for me).

There's nothing wrong with 10... Install was smooth and things run fine... But the upgrade was an exercise in futility for me.
-----------------------------
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
Dignity, Respect, Purpose - Live It!
Old 08-13-2015, 6:29 AM
Banned

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-to-microsoft/

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just canít stop talking to Microsoft
It's no wonder that privacy activists are up in arms.
Old 08-13-2015, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Some are older devices designed for XP. Some have no driver replacements. Win 10 is so far is not good for audio production when what you have already works fine. I see no reason to use Win 10 here. Maybe it might be better than 7 for video production, but I'm not sold on anything new from Billy Gates until a few pioneers (suckers) figure it all out first.

Billy needs beta testers, I'm not one of them.
Seems pretty consistent that if you have any high quality or specialty hardware installed a new OS is seldom a good idea .. or at least seldom successful.
Old 08-13-2015, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone having issues with their Wifi speeds? I used to get a solid 60-65Mb/s, now after the upgrade to Win 10 Pro I get 1-5Mb/s maybe. I still get full speeds on my cell, but both my laptop and desktop are seriously slow. Already tried upgrading all of the drivers.
Old 08-13-2015, 9:05 AM

Did not observe that, which make is the Wifi card/device? Also how was the speed tested?

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." - British Statesman
Old 08-13-2015, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

No problems here. I'm no faster or slower in terms of wifi with 10 than I was with 7.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul View Post
Did not observe that, which make is the Wifi card/device? Also how was the speed tested?

I'm using a TP-Link TL-WDN3200 USB adapter. I used speedtest.net to test the speed.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedArmory View Post
I'm using a TP-Link TL-WDN3200 USB adapter. I used speedtest.net to test the speed.
Unreliable. Use testmy.net instead. But even still, that's not your connection speed (wifi connection), but rather your speed TO the server which is doing the test (Internet connection speed). It tests your ISP's speed, if anything.

Last edited by NytWolf; 08-13-2015 at 1:01 PM..
Old 08-13-2015, 1:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Unreliable. Use testmy.net instead. But even still, that's not your connection speed (wifi connection), but rather your speed TO the server which is doing the test (Internet connection speed). It tests your ISP's speed, if anything.
Just used testmy.net.

Desktop. Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7)

Laptop. Windows 10 (upgraded from Win 8.1)

Cell. Samsung Galaxy S5

Last edited by damndave; 08-13-2015 at 1:45 PM..
Old 08-13-2015, 3:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just switched over to 5Ghz and speed was much better. But I only get about 10% signal strength on 5Ghz and 50 on 2.4Ghz.

Old 08-18-2015, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

Just upgraded my laptop, looks like it failed. Freezes during boot process....

Damn
Old 08-18-2015, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul View Post
It is recommended to do in-place upgrade, as then the keys get validated and you will not have issues in activating your copy. I tried installing on a clean HDD, via USB boot and then realized you cannot activate it with the older Windows 7 key.

Once you update in-place, you can go to settings and reset to a clean version (which is recommended).

So of the 10 machines I upgraded, 8 were upgraded in-place without issues. One I had to reinstall Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 and the other was in-place using Media Creation tool without the iso option. This last one is specially useful for custom PCs, as it seems to do compatibility, driver check and pre-download before attempting installation saving time.
Thanks for sharing the experience since I also tried a clean-install but key wouldn't be recognized. If we're past the 1 yr mark, how would one re-install then? I did save win7 image but not sure if the "upgrade" will work via the usb or CD. I did save those 2 versions thinking i can do clean install before i did in-place upgrade. guess i may have to buy new imaging software as my very old acronis might not work on win10, which it probably own't since it didn't work on win8.1

So far, only my bluetooth seems to fail here and there. It's intermittent. I installed install drivers directly from Intel (and also via the intel driver update utility). But the bluetooth crashes sometimes and you don't see the icon anymore in the taskbar's notification area. I'd have to reboot to get it re-enabled. seems the Bluetooth service crashes.

Quote:
Anyone having issues with their Wifi speeds? I used to get a solid 60-65Mb/s, now after the upgrade to Win 10 Pro I get 1-5Mb/s maybe. I still get full speeds on my cell, but both my laptop and desktop are seriously slow. Already tried upgrading all of the drivers.
I had the opposite effect as you initially. I had it superfast from a piddly 4 or 5mpbs (up from 1mpbs when i switched to intel NIC/bluetooth/AC version). It's in this post in this same thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1&postcount=46

i just rested on speedtest.comcast.net, speedtest.net and testmy.net and i dropped back to 4mpbs. now the location of the laptop is in the same exact area. i'll try to reinstall my intel NIC drivers to see if that makes it better.

as an aside, i also upgraded my desktop. I noticed this past weekend, things suddently were very slow. I don't see any apps with high cpu or memory utilization from task manager. there was a virus or malware after running kaspersky and malwarebytes.

suddenly on one reboot right before I was about to wipe out and put 8.1 back, an update happened. then viola! back to normal performance when i was watching some stuff on vlc. i even reset vlc settings thinking I inadvertently slowed the playback. but anything and everything (uninstall/reinstall/use win10 media player) didn't work prior to the update.
Old 08-19-2015, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience since I also tried a clean-install but key wouldn't be recognized. If we're past the 1 yr mark, how would one re-install then? I did save win7 image but not sure if the "upgrade" will work via the usb or CD. I did save those 2 versions thinking i can do clean install before i did in-place upgrade.
Upgrade will work via usb or CD. You can download the image from the link I posted in the first post. Once you upgrade your unit will either be registered on Microsoft's servers or in your bios, so if you decide to do a hard drive swap two years from now it will still be recognized as registered; just verify that registration is activated after the upgrade.
Old 09-14-2015, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

has anyone experienced win10 rebooting itself via the upgrade (not clean install).

Oddly, I left it on last night while I was copying files and it'll take a while. I didn't check this morning and only unplugged my phone. When I got back today, I got a pop-up saying running out of memory. But it closed all apps open.

Unfortunately, I don't remember win10 having a "recent" apps like win7 but rather shows only most used. I don't know if I had files open that didn't save yet but win10 closed it since it doesn't show recent apps. Luckily I have my all browsers set to open to last session.

It also happened to a new Asus Transformer laptop/tablet and I did the upgrade on it too immediately after getting it 3 weeks ago.

the fan seems to turn out a bit while in idle. for ex., I took 10 mins between the last post and this edit with nothing else running. The fan just turned on and didn't stop until i started typing here with this edit.

Last edited by high_revs; 09-14-2015 at 6:57 PM..
Old 09-14-2015, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
has anyone experienced win10 rebooting itself via the upgrade (not clean install).

Oddly, I left it on last night while I was copying files and it'll take a while. I didn't check this morning and only unplugged my phone. When I got back today, I got a pop-up saying running out of memory. But it closed all apps open.

Unfortunately, I don't remember win10 having a "recent" apps like win7 but rather shows only most used. I don't know if I had files open that didn't save yet but win10 closed it since it doesn't show recent apps. Luckily I have my all browsers set to open to last session.

It also happened to a new Asus Transformer laptop/tablet and I did the upgrade on it too immediately after getting it 3 weeks ago.

the fan seems to turn out a bit while in idle. for ex., I took 10 mins between the last post and this edit with nothing else running. The fan just turned on and didn't stop until i started typing here with this edit.
Sounds like you got an update that needed rebooting. You can disable automatic update by clicking "let me schedule restart" (or something like that) or check that your internet connection is metered, it will then let you choose when to update.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

I had windows 10 and rolled back because every time I tried to log into my microsoft account on 10, it just kept saying "something went wrong" try again later
Old 09-19-2015, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
Sounds like you got an update that needed rebooting. You can disable automatic update by clicking "let me schedule restart" (or something like that) or check that your internet connection is metered, it will then let you choose when to update.
hmm. thought i fixed that already hmmm.. it shows what i didn't want (share updates with others).

i'll have to keep more eye and take screen shots. usually i just leave stuff on w/o hibernate and this is the first one i've seen so far that says out of memory (12gb ram) being on a standstill.

thanks.
Old 09-26-2015, 6:49 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Yes, I'm now having this problem... All other devices are running normal speed...

Windows 10 was fine for a little over a month - but within the last week Internet is ridiculously slow... Nothing has changed (other than updates running in the background)

I was considering rolling back to 8.1 - but read that it's only on option for 30 days (I'm beyond that)...

I wish I had not upgraded... I need to spend time today trying to resolve
Old 09-26-2015, 7:31 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
Yes, I'm now having this problem... All other devices are running normal speed...

Windows 10 was fine for a little over a month - but within the last week Internet is ridiculously slow... Nothing has changed (other than updates running in the background)

I was considering rolling back to 8.1 - but read that it's only on option for 30 days (I'm beyond that)...

I wish I had not upgraded... I need to spend time today trying to resolve
at the risk of jinxing myself - I have (for now) resolved...

did the typical hard boot (and disconnected power altogether)... re-booted (should have checked speed at the time, because that simple/common step may have helped)... but I also changed from "updates on my local network" to "off".

As of this post things are back to reasonable speed...

I'm not expert - so in theory the steps above may not be attributed - but even if coincidence, I'm much less frustrated now as I have been the past couple days.

I'll probably bash my head on desk in five minutes when it slows down again
Old 09-26-2015, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
at the risk of jinxing myself - I have (for now) resolved...

did the typical hard boot (and disconnected power altogether)... re-booted (should have checked speed at the time, because that simple/common step may have helped)... but I also changed from "updates on my local network" to "off".

As of this post things are back to reasonable speed...

I'm not expert - so in theory the steps above may not be attributed - but even if coincidence, I'm much less frustrated now as I have been the past couple days.

I'll probably bash my head on desk in five minutes when it slows down again

Another thing to check is your network driver. I had an issue with speed for a few days, couldn't figure out what the hell was the problem, and it turned out that I hadn't actually installed the ASUS driver for my WiFi, and was still running on the out of the box Windows 10 one. Corrected that issue, then BAM - full speed again.

Old 09-26-2015, 8:36 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
Another thing to check is your network driver. I had an issue with speed for a few days, couldn't figure out what the hell was the problem, and it turned out that I hadn't actually installed the ASUS driver for my WiFi, and was still running on the out of the box Windows 10 one. Corrected that issue, then BAM - full speed again.
that was the first thing I checked - and it said driver is up-to-date...

thanks for the suggestion though
Old 09-26-2015, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Meh... I finally got the download and installed 10 a few days ago... I'm not overly thrilled... It's not bad, but I don't have a preference for it over 8.1

I don't need Cortana (won't be using it), the start menu is of no relevance to me, Edge is better than IE (but everything is) I still use Firefox... In fact there isn't anything in 10 that makes it better than 8.1 (for me).

There's nothing wrong with 10... Install was smooth and things run fine... But the upgrade was an exercise in futility for me.
I am one of the few people who actually like 8.1. After I started using Classic Shell (I LIKE my start menu), and did a bit of work to it, I found it is the fastest, most stable windows to date. I have ZERO problems with it. NO reason for me to go to 10.

I also have a spare, Asus, K53e laptop, with a spare HDD, that was basically sitting around doing nothing. I downloaded W10 on USB, and installed it that way.

W10 was a little clunky. I figured I could tweak that out of it, and after about an hour of work, got it running smoothly.
However, as I'm a "Security Nazi", I found multiple security and privacy issues, that required more work to fix, than it was worth.

I ended up removing 10, and installing Linux Mint, and am pretty happy with that.

Now, a word of warning to 7, and 8.1 users:

You're being hijacked by MS also. Below are a list of updates that snitch back to MS. I removed them. Whether you do or not is up to you, but I would recommend it.

KB2952664
KB2977759
KB2976978-windows 10 downloader & analyzer
==============================================

KB3022345
KB 3035583-Get windows 10
KB3050265
KB3065987
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB 3075851
KB3080149
Old 10-04-2015, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

So I have a problem, it can't update via Windows update.

It just gets stuck "loading" while it checks for updates.

I can't access previously installed updates either.