Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-08-2015, 3:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I learned LONG ago to NEVER be an early adopter of any OS update.

Will wait at least a year until after Win 10 is released to install it AFTER I review all of the complaints about it before hand and am assured that the current version is bug/problem free.
Beta 10 has been out for a while - lots of guinea pigs have already locked up their computer with THAT , so I'm feelin' pretty confident come July.

Now where's that 'crossed fingers' smiley...
Old 06-09-2015, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm on the list..........We'll see.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 06-09-2015, 7:35 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Umm, there are free newsfeeds that include "warez" (aka binaries). You just have to know where to find them. The service sucks, but what do you expect from newsfeeds that are free. Even today the total load for newsfeeds is stupid high for anything people really want (binaries) and that costs real money. For a while though, back in the day I got around the need for a subscription service because I found a usenet cluster that I could mirror the feed without an account. They eventually figured it out and closed that door but news indexers don't talk the way a newsreader does so.. hehe. Ahh good old days from BBS to Newsfeeds. These new fangled torrents still escape me for the most part but they have been useful from time to time.
I thought I was easier to read than that. Of course I meant PAYING ones. I do not expect to find many decent newsfeeds (binaries especially) for free unless I am mooching off another account.

Ahh yes, BBS, I used to spend hours a week on the Chicken Ranch BBS. Playing TW2002 Major BBS version was hella fun... And now it is Path of Exile... Oh the good ol' days...

Now that I think of it, it was kinda funny war dialing too. I should try that again just for the hell of it to see how many folks call back with their *69... :O
Old 06-11-2015, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I love Win7 I have it on my desktop. my laptop has 8.1 which I have gotten used too.

In no rush to update anytime soon.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 06-21-2015, 8:10 PM
Banned

I just installed Linux Mint 17.1 and am blown away by how nice it is. Everything works including my ptrs and wifi. No need for any drivers etc. Its rock solid so far and wont get infected every 30 seconds like my old win7-8-xp-me- etc did.
Old 06-21-2015, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundingfathers View Post
I just installed Linux Mint 17.1 and am blown away by how nice it is. Everything works including my ptrs and wifi. No need for any drivers etc. Its rock solid so far and wont get infected every 30 seconds like my old win7-8-xp-me- etc did.

Sure it will, as soon as it gets enough market share for your computer to come in contact with enough other compatible computers for a virus to spread.

That's the ONLY reason that MacOS is less vulnerable than Windows, and - similarly - the only reason that *nix is less vulnerable than Mac. Not enough market penetration for diseases to effectively spread. Change that ... boom, headshot.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 06-28-2015, 1:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
Sure it will, as soon as it gets enough market share for your computer to come in contact with enough other compatible computers for a virus to spread.

That's the ONLY reason that MacOS is less vulnerable than Windows, and - similarly - the only reason that *nix is less vulnerable than Mac. Not enough market penetration for diseases to effectively spread. Change that ... boom, headshot.
And that's only part of the reason. The biggest reason is because Windows has such tremendous market share that most of the hackers and malware authors target it for exploitation. Why waste your time targeting the paltry few Linux users, or even the relatively small number of Apple users, when you have many millions of Windows users as potential targets?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 06-28-2015, 1:45 AM
Veteran Member

The same paltry few nix users who run the majority of the internets web servers and services?

Yes vulnerabilities exist on all systems, but foundational differences do matter.
Old 06-28-2015, 4:02 AM

I was limping on xp until 2012 when 8.1 came out. I figured the hell with it and bit the bullet to go straight to 8.

I was annoyed at first with the stupid metro interface. There are still things that annoy me to this day (extra 5 steps, or doing tricks to find menus that are hidden) but overall it wasn't too bad. I'll go ahead and jump straight onto 10 when it officially releases.
Old 06-28-2015, 5:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
And that's only part of the reason. The biggest reason is because Windows has such tremendous market share that most of the hackers and malware authors target it for exploitation. Why waste your time targeting the paltry few Linux users, or even the relatively small number of Apple users, when you have many millions of Windows users as potential targets?
The OS-specific Application Stores should help (Apple and many Linux distros already implement), but Win 10's store doesn't have most of the basic free applications I use and desire, I would wager that other's have this same problem, and people will download ssh clients, and free applications that aren't on the store (because M$ want's developer's money too?) and history will repeat itself due to this... Windows will be burnt with infections.

(Stay away from FREE screensavers, FREE backgrounds, and FREE music people.)
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

Last edited by the86d; 06-28-2015 at 5:42 AM..
Old 06-28-2015, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
The same paltry few nix users who run the majority of the internets web servers and services?
How many web servers versus how many user machines. You do the math.

Also, web servers tend to be tightly managed. Nevertheless, security breaches do occur all the time. When Home Depot lost millions of user's credit card data, I doubt that was from a PC running Windows.

I'm not cheering Windows, I'm simply stating some simple truths:
  • Every OS will have vulnerabilities.
  • Windows has a HUGE target painted on its back because the VAST MAJORITY of PCs in the world are running Windows.
  • Apple and Linux are not necessarily more secure, they're simply more obscure.
  • People who run Linux are going to be more vigilant about how they configure their computer, what the install, and how they use their PC. In other words, they would be less likely to get infected no matter which OS they're using.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 06-28-2015, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
So I should get ready and get on my mark eh?

I am impressed with this jump to seven I made. My system has finished several torrents in the past 9 hours that my XP machine was taking several weeks to get. Odd.

How is compatibility with winblows 10 as far as programs that were out pre win7 and stuff?

Like I have a 16 bit CATFISH program that catalogs my disks that I burn. How might that play on windows 10?

And since you have been playing with it for a while, is there a way to get rid of those ugly-assed tiles that are in the start menu? I imagine you can delete them but never hurts to ask since I do not have it yet.
You can get rid of it in Windows 8, too, just get something like Classic Shell or any other such app.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 06-28-2015, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
How many web servers versus how many user machines. You do the math.

Also, web servers tend to be tightly managed. Nevertheless, security breaches do occur all the time. When Home Depot lost millions of user's credit card data, I doubt that was from a PC running Windows.

I'm not cheering Windows, I'm simply stating some simple truths:
  • Every OS will have vulnerabilities.
  • Windows has a HUGE target painted on its back because the VAST MAJORITY of PCs in the world are running Windows.
  • Apple and Linux are not necessarily more secure, they're simply more obscure.
  • People who run Linux are going to be more vigilant about how they configure their computer, what the install, and how they use their PC. In other words, they would be less likely to get infected no matter which OS they're using.

On target, fire for effect.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 06-28-2015, 2:56 PM

I think I'll hold off for a bit. I have 8.1 on three computers, 7hp on one and XP on one.

I removed 90% of the apps in 8.1, did some minor tweaking, trimmed the fat from it, and added classic shell. Pretty happy with 8.1 at this time.

Happy with Win7.

Happy with my XP machine that's mostly for playing older games I like.
Old 07-13-2015, 2:28 PM

My new computer I just got came downgraded to win 7 pro. As much as I like win 7, I have one computer running 8.1 and really like some of the apps, one in particular I want to run on my new desktop but can't unless I upgrade to win 8.1 or 10. So I'm just going to go for it and upgrade all but my work computer to 10 when it's available.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2015, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

anyone find out if we can get the win10 dvd for a fresh install? i posted on the ms forum on the upgrade but i guess no answer from ms?
Old 07-14-2015, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
anyone find out if we can get the win10 dvd for a fresh install? i posted on the ms forum on the upgrade but i guess no answer from ms?
Do a search on ms forum for a clean windows 10 install and you will get more then one choice of how to do a clean install, and yes, you will be able to get ISO to burn your own DVD or flash drive. You will be able to get a DVD from Microsoft at a later date at some nominal charge.
Old 07-15-2015, 4:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
It's my understanding it will have some of Win 7 features? If so I'll probably play along. My Momma always said if it's free take it!
Chlamydia is free....
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 07-16-2015, 9:16 AM

I've been on the tech preview since last Nov. My only issue has been with hyper-v breaking my network connection on every tech preview update. The RTM build 10240 is downloading now. I've been very happy with win01 and will probably stay on the insider program. I'll just switch to the slow ring for updates.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
Chlamydia is free....
So is the "clap" but I chose not to down load it!

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 07-16-2015, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Another one of my concerns is

Will the program's I have now work with 10?

Going from XP to win 7 allowed me to spend quality time searching for drivers and updating software as they made it comparable with Win 7

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

— is it me, or should the NRA be fighting for firearm education & fighting bad gun laws, not fighting and emailing over coolers?
Old 07-16-2015, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Another one of my concerns is

Will the program's I have now work with 10?

Going from XP to win 7 allowed me to spend quality time searching for drivers and updating software as they made it comparable with Win 7
If you have the Get Windows 10 app click on upper left and you can run a compatibility check.
Old 07-16-2015, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
So I am on Win 7 and the icon popped up today to download/ free upgrade Windows 10.

What are your thoughts?
I'm sticking with Windows 7 until 10 is proven to be stable and free of too much bloat (or at least configurable away without pulling teeth).

Likely my gaming system will continue on with Windows, even to 10 or 11 at some point. However by the time Windows 7 is retired I will be moved onto Linux for most of my systems.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
Do a search on ms forum for a clean windows 10 install and you will get more then one choice of how to do a clean install, and yes, you will be able to get ISO to burn your own DVD or flash drive. You will be able to get a DVD from Microsoft at a later date at some nominal charge.
thanks. I heard yesterday for another colleague there'll be a way to 'burn' recovery disks but i'm not sure if this is a "snapshot" of the system after the upgrade with all my files, or if it's just the win10 install files. so per your post, looks like i can get the iso and burn it myself. kewl!

there's more than one way to do a clean-install? i'll have to check the forum. for my win7, i usually wipe the whole thing and i put all my dell drivers in a usb flash stick. install new os and and install drivers in a particular sequence as recommended though i may have to peruse the dell website if there are win10 specific drivers, or if the win7 will work.

the other option i can do is revert to an acronis image right after win7 and driver install, and then re-run the upgrade if they allow me to re-run. then i can just re-install what i need like ms office and my browsers and then my files. nothing much i really use aside from malware bytes, maybe a few small apps like fastone.

i had to do non-recovery install since i use a msata, and the dell dbar dvd's so not support that setup due to irst.

for my 8.1 desktop that gets even less use, i'll probably just let it upgrade itself. been lazy doing getting the drivers, put on stick, sort, etc. and do a os only and driver install w/o dbar.
Old 07-17-2015, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Allegedly there will be an option to do a clean install at upgrade time; if that doesn't work you can do a non-recovery reinstall afterwards and it will be a clean install. Since for the first time in a long time I was not an "insider" for this OS, I will have to rely on Microsoft's directions.
Old 07-19-2015, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is a tutorial on how to install windows 10 from usb flash drive or DVD:
http://www.intowindows.com/install-w...rom-usb-drive/
Old 07-20-2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
I'm sticking with Windows 7 until 10 is proven to be stable and free of too much bloat (or at least configurable away without pulling teeth).
My sentiments as well. Windows 7 supports security updates 'til 2020.

I still have one laptop running VISTA that's used for unsecured casual Internet use and works fine for the purpose. Updates are available through 2017. Might purchase a Win 10 laptop in '17, but I ain't rushing things.
Old 07-27-2015, 9:07 PM

My only concern is if Windows 10 becomes a subscription based OS akin to Adobe cloud. "Get Windows 10 Free*" for the first year, then pay $$ per month.
Old 07-27-2015, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
My only concern is if Windows 10 becomes a subscription based OS akin to Adobe cloud. "Get Windows 10 Free*" for the first year, then pay $$ per month.
I am sure it will eventually become subscription on new machines, but if you download now it will not be a subscription.
Old 07-28-2015, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My laptop has Win 8.1 and I hate it. Upgrading that one forsure.

My desktop is on Win 7 and love it. Will most likely wait to do the upgrade until it's proven to be stable.
Old 08-01-2015, 5:11 PM

Windows Update failed the upgrade 3X. I had to install the Media Creation Tool and everything went off without a hitch. All my icons look cartoonish now.
Old 08-01-2015, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
Windows Update failed the upgrade 3X. I had to install the Media Creation Tool and everything went off without a hitch. All my icons look cartoonish now.
oddly, some is a little off for me now too. the graphics for some screens like FF look a little softer and not as sharp. i see if it when looking at device driver too.

i already installed new intel drivers. maybe i need to update the nvidia geforce gt 640m driver but the nvidea utility doesn't have an update driver function. hmmm

otherwise, still mostly happy. some text sizing changed in my quicken 2014 though too.
Old 08-01-2015, 7:10 PM

smooth upgrade for me.
Old 08-01-2015, 8:32 PM

There is only one DirectX12 game out, and it's a Beta at that.
It is not worth it. You'll just be another intercom extension for big brother.
No thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 2:44 AM
Veteran Member

This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I learned LONG ago to NEVER be an early adopter of any OS update. Will wait at least a year until after Win 10 is released to install it AFTER I review all of the complaints about it and am assured that the then current version is bug/problem free.

It also takes at least that long for other software developers to modify their programs for use w/any major OS revision. I used an XP machine for years w/o problems before buying a Win7 machine after which I had to also upgrade all of the key software that I use.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 08-02-2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundingfathers View Post
Don't think for ONE SECOND that a standard Linux distribution is safe because it isn't Windows. True most virus and malware are written for exploits in Internet Explorer and the other 3rd party software. But an improperly configured Linux box is actually more susceptible to intrusion than Windows (I hear MacOs is actually easier to get into, but that is just what I have read).

http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/vul...ng-system.html
http://www.zdnet.com/article/mac-os-...security-firm/

What I really hate about Microsoft, is what I hear is going to happen down the road . . . In 20+ years I have been using computers, Microsoft has NEVER given away an operating system for free. I hear eventually they are shifting to a "pay to play" service, where you will pay a monthly (yearly) fee to use their OS and software . . . they are giving it away now to get everyone on board with the new system before they make the switch . . .
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...has-high-cost/

Last edited by ldsnet; 08-02-2015 at 3:56 AM.. Reason: added discussion point and www link
Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
oddly, some is a little off for me now too. the graphics for some screens like FF look a little softer and not as sharp. i see if it when looking at device driver too.

i already installed new intel drivers. maybe i need to update the nvidia geforce gt 640m driver but the nvidea utility doesn't have an update driver function. hmmm

otherwise, still mostly happy. some text sizing changed in my quicken 2014 though too.
I've been semi-anxiously awaiting upgrade download... but now I'm not so anxious...

I haven't read a whole lot about actual user reviews... but from what I have gathered, I was really looking forward to it... guess I'll wait for more user reports...
-----------------------------
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Dignity, Respect, Purpose - Live It!
Old 08-02-2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Had to restore Windows 7. Wouldn't recognize optical drives half the time. Screen kept doing a refresh. Computer would reboot by itself for no reason. Why keep beta 10 when 7 was doing just fine.
Old 08-03-2015, 6:48 PM

some good info here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-ke...730399429.html
Old 08-04-2015, 7:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
Unless you are running some specialty software, nearly everything should be compatible between 7, 8 and 10. At least that is what everyone is saying. It is windows though, some I'm sure there will be incompatibilities here or there that need to get ironed out at launch..
Not true. Many software drivers are not compatible and may not have win 10 replacements anytime soon. Besides, who wants Billy Gates spyware installed?