Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-21-2009, 5:24 PM

Default officer reserves?

hello all

is an officer reserve just basically a part time LEO? or is it intended for older semi retired officers? is this a position that can be held by "new" guys?

thanks for your input

rm
Old 04-21-2009, 6:03 PM

At the time I was a reserve Deputy Sheriff (20+ years ago) It was a position where you did some paid jobs & worked in the jail. It was a position where new guys could join and then maybe later go to the academy later to become a full time employee. It has changed a bit in the last few years. The best thing to do would be to contact the department you are interested in and ask them for their requirements.
Old 04-21-2009, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it can be held by new guys...how much academy it requires depends on what level you are. The highest level you have full time police status and everything but have to work a certain amount of hours a deployment period. You will be going out in the field and be a full time Officers partner.
Old 04-21-2009, 8:03 PM

How hard is it to google "reserve police officer california"?
Old 04-21-2009, 9:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A reserve does everything a regular does, but on your own nickle and doesn't get paid.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMongooSe View Post
hello all

is an officer reserve just basically a part time LEO? or is it intended for older semi retired officers? is this a position that can be held by "new" guys?

thanks for your input

rm
Both actually. Some departments pay reserves and other don't making it part time work for some and a volunteer community service for others. I also know a few full timers who once they retired or went back to the private sector became reserves.

I've met reserves from 21 to 71 years of age, so essentially it's a pretty wide range of people who get involved. Most that I have met have their hearts in the right place and want to help the community and fight the good fight. Always a few like in any other business are jerks but they tend to sort themselves out pretty quickly.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM

DUPE http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=163989