Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-15-2012, 2:02 PM

Default Steele Peak, Perris, CA Closed May 15th - something was out of place

I drove out to Steel Peak this morning around 10:30am to do some shooting. I was greeted by 2 BLM Rangers claiming the reserve was closed for "cleanup". What didn't make sense was the 3 men they rangers had handcuffed behind one of their trucks.

I have a stinking suspicion there wasn't a reserve clean up but rather a bust or raid.

Does anyone have a website that might report what was really going on?

Heavy Hitters Inc.
Sig, Remington, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Bravo Company Manufacturing, and H&R
Ruger 10/22 w/ Hogue stock, Barska scope, Ruger target/heavy barrel
Old 05-15-2012, 7:48 PM

I was just there monday heard automatic fire coming from the other side.
Maybe idiots using illegal weapons.
Old 06-06-2012, 9:04 PM

PM inbound

http://howtomakeeverything.com/CD3WD/INDEX.HTM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x39
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Damn thats pretty crazy..
Old 06-07-2012, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

I understand using discretion, but if anyone finds info out about a closure/ crackdown on steele peak please post for all of us to see so we can act accordingly.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 06-14-2012, 9:30 PM

Be careful at Steele Peak. Keep your eyes on the other shooters. On May 6th a few friends and I were out there Sunday afternoon. We set up our tables and easy ups almost as far from the road as we could get. One friend (call him Nick) drove one of the guys down to his car that was parked on the street so he wouldn't have to hike all his gear down there. On the way back up to us, Nick said some punk down at the street drew his rifle and aimed it at Nick the whole time he was in sight. Unfortunately Nick didn't have his handgun on him and I didn't have cell signal. We quickly packed up because that was about the time when some of the teenagers by us were becoming more reckless with their firearms and began to drink more openly.

I've noticed it just becoming more unsafe each time we are there. Too many untrained or reckless people putting other lives in danger. It's no wonder the cops and rangers are showing up. We need to find another place to shoot that is safe for our families.
Old 06-18-2012, 8:32 AM

I would agree with the above post... very sketchy place. People shooting when others are down range changing targets. Weekends are like the wild west but if you go during the week in the morning you will most likely be by yourself
Old 06-19-2012, 7:38 AM

I avoid the area on the weekends as well.

Heavy Hitters Inc.
Sig, Remington, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Bravo Company Manufacturing, and H&R
Ruger 10/22 w/ Hogue stock, Barska scope, Ruger target/heavy barrel
Old 06-19-2012, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
Nick said some punk down at the street drew his rifle and aimed it at Nick the whole time he was in sight. Unfortunately Nick didn't have his handgun on him and I didn't have cell signal.
While it's probably better to be armed with "something" in a gunfight, a pistol will lose vs. a rifle most any day. Glad no rounds started flying. Scary stuff.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 06-19-2012, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2monaro View Post
I would agree with the above post... very sketchy place. People shooting when others are down range changing targets. Weekends are like the wild west but if you go during the week in the morning you will most likely be by yourself
Sounds like the old Lytle Creek days.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 06-19-2012, 8:04 AM
CGN Contributor

Pretty damn sad that those of us who oblige by the law, pack out what we pack in, and use good judgement because we have families to protect are the ones who get hurt the most because of these knuckleheads.

Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats.
--Josephus Daniels--
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Most people don't have a problem with the state forcing them to pass written and actual driving tests before getting a license to drive. Why can't we do the same with guns?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Most people don't have a problem with the state forcing them to pass written and actual driving tests before getting a license to drive. Why can't we do the same with guns?
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Because driving is not an enumerated and natural right. Even Jefferson said he'd rather suffer due to leniency than restrict liberty at all.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not trying to take away anyone's rights. My life is in just as much danger from idiots behind the wheel and idiots at the range or BLM. But wouldn't you feel safer knowing that the guys shooting next to you knew safe gun practices?

But anyway, I digress, because any talk of requiring training or licensing always makes you look anti-gun.
Old 06-20-2012, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Try re-reading the 2nd Amendment, maybe.

The right to keep and bear arms is granted by our Creator, and it was there before the Constitution and Bill of Rights was written.

Driving is a privilege and happened just a little bit later.

I'm surprised you posted what you did. Unfortunate, but that's a little of what got California the way it is regarding guns.

-hanko
The coast of California
Must be somewhere over here, over here
Greatful Dead
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 06-20-2012, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is this the place behind the Rock Pile?
Old 06-20-2012, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

I'm surprised you posted what you did. Unfortunate, but that's a little of what got California the way it is regarding guns.

-hanko
I think irresponsible gun owners had a lot more to do with where we are in CA than anything else.

Why does my opinion that all gun owners should be taught how to be responsible gun owners through either testing, training or licensing make me anti-gun or anti-2a?

"Weekends are like the wild west"

"People shooting when others are down range changing targets"

These are the types of scenarios some very basic training could prevent. It would give EVERYONE who is enjoying their right to bear arms to do it with some relative safety on public land.
Old 06-20-2012, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Why does my opinion that all gun owners should be taught how to be responsible gun owners through either testing, training or licensing make me anti-gun or anti-2a?
I believe where he is going with it is that it's not a right (2A) when you have to go through licensing and testing and be approved by someone (Gov.) to get it, like a driver's license.
Old 06-20-2012, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

You currently have to pass the HSC for a handgun. How could doing something similar for rifles be much different? You also have to take some form of safety class in order to get a hunting license.

But I guess it's better to let irresponsible gun owners enjoy their right to bear arms while you are packing up to leave or don't even bother showing up because you no longer feel safe around people exercising their right to bear arms in a reckless manner.

Last edited by tonyxcom; 06-20-2012 at 8:58 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 9:53 PM

Tony seriously - you think they don't know what is safe? I'd give 10 to 1 odds they just don't give a crap.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You currently have to pass the HSC for a handgun. How could doing something similar for rifles be much different? You also have to take some form of safety class in order to get a hunting license.
To buy one [in CA], yeah. To own one, no. You compared it to testing to get a license to drive. Did you not mean making people take tests to get a license to purchase firearms? If not, that was a poor example/comparison. If so:

People have to take classes and tests to get a driver's license. So, there are no irresponsible drivers? How 'bout the licensed people who drink and drive, and those who have killed others because of it?
People who take the class and test for a hunting license never do anything stupid or immoral while hunting?
People have to take classes and test to get a license to practice medicine (and I'm using the term broadly to cover the field). There is never any malpractice or incorrectly prescribed medicine that causes injury or death?

Tests don't fix stupid or all of a sudden make people follow every law, rule or safety guideline. I had never had a firearm before I purchased my first one, yet I simply read the safety rules, and I've been fine. I am more responsible than some people who have been around firearms their whole lives. I haven't hurt myself or others. If people want to be safe, they will. If they don't, they won't.
Old 08-20-2012, 1:47 AM

Default Steele Peak Cleanup August 25 2012

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palms...akcleanup.html

I have to agree with everyone here when it comes to testing for gun "ownership/use" as many of the offenders just don't care. There are still lots of people that DO care and have kids that we want to learn gun safety, responsibility and respect for others as well!
That entire area will be closed if we (those who DO care) want to have the ability to use the area and to leave a legacy for our kids.
Everywhere you go you'll see the "idiots" shooting while others are changing or checking targets, just as you see them drop a candy wrapper while they walk down the street. Just ignorance....carelessness.....and the lack of Respect for othern people and their property. BLM Land IS OUR property! Take it back! Start making the calls it takes, write down the license plate of that truck pointing the rifle at you! Turn th' Bast'ds IN!

I pick up for 2 hours, go wheelin' for another hour, then shoot. Clean up after...and go home with the HUGE smile on my 10 year-olds face. He DID Something GOOD that day and feels good about it. These other idiots didn't have anyone to teach them. Education my friends! Follow-up! Don't Give Up!
Old 05-05-2013, 7:33 PM

Question Steel Peak worth a try?

I see this post is from last year, but I live in Elsinore and while standing in line at 6:30am at walmart last week hoping to find some .223, the guy I was talking with told me about Steel Peak. Anyone here still go out there?
Old 05-05-2013, 8:27 PM

I just went yesterday at arround 7pm not manny people just about 3 guys up the hill. I was by the road since i was just shooting my .45 only about 80 rounds. A lot of .22 arround i picked up a bit but stoll a lot left.
Old 05-05-2013, 8:50 PM
Flash ahhhaahh dundundun
CGN Contributor

The last time I went out, I went with a buddy and his son on a Saturday and were the first ones there early in the morning. We set the line and one by one after around 9 clowns started showing up and were parking their cars 15 to 20 feet behind where we had our car. These people proceeded to exit their cars and set up targets out at the same distance we were standing from their vehicles. Another guy showed up and had his teenage daughter walking around with a loaded pistol waving it around non chalantly with her finger inside the trigger guard. The guy (who I assumed) was the dad set up a steel tree target only about 10 yards from his car which put it right in line with where we were standing.
The last straw that actually had me really nervous and why we bailed with haste is when this idiot showed up parked even farther back than most. He got out of his car and was waving around a pistol just like the girl I mentioned above. I was reaching into my friends car to retrieve another magazine and through the side window I see this idiots wife limp wristing what looked like to be a hi point 9mm with her finger on the trigger pointing right at my friends car where I was standing. I grabbed him and told him "Let's get the **** outta here" and we bailed.

There was so much unsafe **** going on there and these idiots are going to get a real nice, close place closed down when someone gets killed out there. Stay safe and bring your body armor.

Old 05-05-2013, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

during the week it is nice
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Tony seriously - you think they don't know what is safe? I'd give 10 to 1 odds they just don't give a crap.
This issue is a people problem. You assume these people have the same values as you and if they are force to learn firearms safety to pass a test they will practice that. These types of people don't give a ****.
Old 05-06-2013, 1:51 PM

Is this place still open,? When I went there today there was a no trespassing sign 20 feet from the calguns sign
Old 05-06-2013, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
Is this place still open,? When I went there today there was a no trespassing sign 20 feet from the calguns sign
Was the sign an official BLM sign or did it look like some homemade or store bought "No Trespassing" sign. The best thing to do is contact the local BLM office to be sure.

Quote:
I was by the road since i was just shooting my .45 only about 80 rounds.
vtrigger, you might want to reconsider shooting by the road. During our first clean up there last year, I was speaking with the two le rangers assisting in the clean up and they said it wasn't legal to shoot in the area at the base of the hill as it was not 150 yards away from the road.

I know people shoot there and tho I don't know the extent of the enforcement, I would not take the chance personally, as I imagine it would be an expensive ticket. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-06-2013, 4:43 PM

Thanx for the info i guess im going to have to offroad my bmw again
:-( annyone wanna trade a 93 bmw for a truck? Lol
Old 05-06-2013, 7:15 PM

Here's the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130506_184135.jpg (94.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 20130506_184106.jpg (79.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
I called BLM today, they did not put up the sign and one of the leo rangers will take it down this week
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Cool thanks for calling man
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM

I own a Tactical Supply website (riversidetactical.com) and just called to get a vendor permit for the Steele Peak area. Wanted to sell my tshirts, earplugs, safety glasses and everything else I have forgotten when I have been out, as well as hand out bottles of water and business cards. I was told I cant sell anything shooting related because they dont want to promote that (even if its safety items!). I see now that safety is not a priority. We do need to take back and help control OUR land! I always pack OUT more than I pack IN! Its only right. I will be calling the Press Enterprise next week, and fighting this all the way to BLM headquarters!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversideTactical View Post
I own a Tactical Supply website (riversidetactical.com) and just called to get a vendor permit for the Steele Peak area. Wanted to sell my tshirts, earplugs, safety glasses and everything else I have forgotten when I have been out, as well as hand out bottles of water and business cards. I was told I cant sell anything shooting related because they dont want to promote that (even if its safety items!). I see now that safety is not a priority. We do need to take back and help control OUR land! I always pack OUT more than I pack IN! Its only right. I will be calling the Press Enterprise next week, and fighting this all the way to BLM headquarters!
Well if you raise a big stink and they just decide to shut the place down you will have lots of angry people looking your way
Old 05-24-2013, 2:04 PM

There are great calgunners on here who do what they're supposed to. There are tons and tons of lurkers on this site who have been burning the local spots. The quarry in banning I first shot there over 20 years ago until recently some people posted up details about it and a few months later it closed down.

Same with Steele peak, I went there about 5-6 years ago and it was a very low key place to shoot. This spot was on the down low for a while until about a year ago people put the location on here. Now good luck trying to shoot there on the weekend.

I have a few other local spots luckily and I'm sure a few others on here do as well. Please keep the info off the site and to yourself. If you want a spot to shoot go to a few cleanups and see if you can get the info in person but I think not putting locations (even cross streets, landmarks, etc...) will keep the local spots local.

Last edited by ls2monaro; 05-24-2013 at 2:06 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:

I think the other major point is that it would have zero effect on the problem people that are out there. The only effect it would have, is on the law abiding, and otherwise safe people that would comply with it.

It's really about the same as a law against guns. It only works on people who obey the law.

And the problem they are talking about out there is ... people who don't obey the safety rules, the law (against pointing a rifle at someone?) and maybe any other law as well.

dc
Old 05-24-2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2monaro View Post
There are great calgunners on here who do what they're supposed to. There are tons and tons of lurkers on this site who have been burning the local spots. The quarry in banning I first shot there over 20 years ago until recently some people posted up details about it and a few months later it closed down.
This is a big reason I posted on here. I have a lot of respect for almost everyone on these forums. My intent is to help make a safer and cleaner place for people who dont know about those beautiful private spots to go shoot with their family. Steele Peak has been my local spot because I dont know of very many others. It has its ups and downs.

What would be the general consensus here? Do you all think I should go further with it? Push the issue that the wont support the sale of safety items? Or should I just leave it alone and hope it gets better by itself? I dont 'need' to set up an ez up and sell things, I 'want' too. But I also respect the opinions of those who have more than likely been going there for years longer than I.
Old 05-25-2013, 8:40 AM

On another note, a few fellow shooters are coming with me Monday to fire some .22, .45, 12ga, 5.56/.223, .44 mag, and anything else people bring. If anyone's free, we are also bringing a pickup to take out a load of trash or two.