Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 02-01-2019, 9:38 PM
CessnaDriver's Avatar
CessnaDriver CessnaDriver is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,268
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
Because I'm a lazy pos to read through things, What are the chances of a 21+ college student getting issued a CCW? Is it worth applying?
https://www.weaponsandgearrange.com/...r-ccw-seminar/
__________________
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic28512_1.gif

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 02-02-2019, 1:13 AM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,489
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
Because I'm a lazy pos to read through things, What are the chances of a 21+ college student getting issued a CCW? Is it worth applying?
If you're willing to put in the time, effort and $$, you can absolutely get one. But it WILL take some time and effort on your part.

1) First thing Monday, call the Sheriff's office and get your first interview scheduled. They're probably 8 months out at this point so you'll have plenty of time to do your research and pull your application together. You can always reschedule or cancel your appointment later. But with the backlog, you want to get your appointment scheduled ASAP

2) Next, SDCGO has some excellent information on their site on how to go about this. Go read it thoroughly. You may want to consider going to one of their meetings or the session Cessna Driver linked you to

https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

3) Read this thread and whatever else you can find here that's been written on this topic

4) Ask specific questions here where you have them.

But note again, this will take some time and effort on your part. Consider it a test to weed out the people that aren't truly committed. People here are pretty helpful if you're doing your part. Admitting you're a lazy POS is great...thanks for the honesty...but it won't get you very far with this. I'm not trying to be an A Hole. It's just some friendly advice on the environment here.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 02-02-2019, 12:54 PM
CriticalEnmity CriticalEnmity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hey, Thanks for all the info! I will call and make the appt. What I meant was It was to overwhelming to go back through and read everything if the chances were slim anyway. I appreciate all the info! Now that I know there's a chance I will be trying to go through it all.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 02-02-2019, 3:34 PM
baranski's Avatar
baranski baranski is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Vista
Posts: 2,598
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
Hey, Thanks for all the info! I will call and make the appt. What I meant was It was to overwhelming to go back through and read everything if the chances were slim anyway. I appreciate all the info! Now that I know there's a chance I will be trying to go through it all.
Please keep us posted as well as joining SDCGO!
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 02-04-2019, 4:32 PM
CriticalEnmity CriticalEnmity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Please keep us posted as well as joining SDCGO!
I just made my appointment for my interview! its in OCTOBER lol. I guess that gives me a lot of time to put my application together. I want to join SDCGO but I'm a broke college student and currently cant afford to support it.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 02-04-2019, 8:05 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,429
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
I just made my appointment for my interview! its in OCTOBER lol. I guess that gives me a lot of time to put my application together. I want to join SDCGO but I'm a broke college student and currently cant afford to support it.
That's on the high side, but not the longest.
Some counties are at 2 years. San Bernardino tends to run around 5-6 months.
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM
CriticalEnmity CriticalEnmity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
That's on the high side, but not the longest.
Some counties are at 2 years. San Bernardino tends to run around 5-6 months.
Ah they said they are trying to speed it up. I'm going to go to a CCW seminar at TheGlockStore that's by SDCGO. I need to buy a CCW gun because all I have is a 75bd. I'm probably going to buy a Shield 9. I need to work on my cause but as a 24 year old college student i'm having trouble coming up with something that would work.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 02-05-2019, 8:00 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,429
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
Ah they said they are trying to speed it up. I'm going to go to a CCW seminar at TheGlockStore that's by SDCGO. I need to buy a CCW gun because all I have is a 75bd. I'm probably going to buy a Shield 9. I need to work on my cause but as a 24 year old college student i'm having trouble coming up with something that would work.
Good choice with the Shield. Some with larger hands don't like it. My hands are not "big" but my fingers are very long, and I shoot it very well.
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 02-06-2019, 3:46 AM
ScottyXbones's Avatar
ScottyXbones ScottyXbones is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 912
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
I just made my appointment for my interview! its in OCTOBER lol. I guess that gives me a lot of time to put my application together. I want to join SDCGO but I'm a broke college student and currently cant afford to support it.
There are a lot of broke college kids that support SDCGO, not with dollars, but with time. Get on their mailing list, when a pro 2A candidate needs their help SDCGO can organize groups of volunteers to walk precincts and pass out flyers to help them get elected. It takes a tremendous amount of work to defend your rights, it took years to even get to the point of getting the sheriff to issue ccw's, he wouldn't issue even during/after the Peruta suit against him, you should consider giving a little bit of your time to help out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 02-06-2019, 2:39 PM
CriticalEnmity CriticalEnmity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
There are a lot of broke college kids that support SDCGO, not with dollars, but with time. Get on their mailing list, when a pro 2A candidate needs their help SDCGO can organize groups of volunteers to walk precincts and pass out flyers to help them get elected. It takes a tremendous amount of work to defend your rights, it took years to even get to the point of getting the sheriff to issue ccw's, he wouldn't issue even during/after the Peruta suit against him, you should consider giving a little bit of your time to help out.
I will def look into that!
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 02-07-2019, 2:29 PM
Sdquattro's Avatar
Sdquattro Sdquattro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 877
iTrader: 90 / 99%
Default

Just called SDSO and scheduled my first appt! Oct. 25th!

Iirc, I sent in a CCW application maybe 5 years ago and never received any correspondence, however I sent in my app without ever being interviewed so not quite sure... Either way, gonna give this a shot!
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 02-07-2019, 4:22 PM
CriticalEnmity CriticalEnmity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdquattro View Post
Just called SDSO and scheduled my first appt! Oct. 25th!

Iirc, I sent in a CCW application maybe 5 years ago and never received any correspondence, however I sent in my app without ever being interviewed so not quite sure... Either way, gonna give this a shot!
Nice!! Now just gotta come up with good cause.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 02-07-2019, 5:42 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,489
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just thought I would mention it here. Once you do get your Ca permit, the Arizona permit is supposed to be pretty easy. Below is a link to AZ DPS and on the lefthand side of the webpage is a spot for you to request an application. Their's is a lot simpler than ours. You'll need...

1) Complete their two page application
2) Find a Live Scan place or similar to complete two finger print cards. This will cost you $20-$30 depending on where you go
3) A $60 application fee (Money Order, etc. No personal checks or credit cards)
4) A copy of your CA permit
5) There's a 6-8 week processing time

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!



https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 02-07-2019, 5:53 PM
baranski's Avatar
baranski baranski is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Vista
Posts: 2,598
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Just thought I would mention it here. Once you do get your Ca permit, the Arizona permit is supposed to be pretty easy. Below is a link to AZ DPS and on the lefthand side of the webpage is a spot for you to request an application. Their's is a lot simpler than ours. You'll need...

1) Complete their two page application
2) Find a Live Scan place or similar to complete two finger print cards. This will cost you $20-$30 depending on where you go
3) A $60 application fee (Money Order, etc. No personal checks or credit cards)
4) A copy of your CA permit
5) There's a 6-8 week processing time

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!



https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

I'll add to this, that having your AZ permit ahead of SD, may make it even easier.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 02-07-2019, 8:47 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,489
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
I'll add to this, that having your AZ permit ahead of SD, may make it even easier.
That was my impression but I can't prove it. I have a permit for Washington and the clerk commented that it was a plus. Like somebody else trusted you enough to give you a permit and you haven't shot anyone yet, so we'll give you one too.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 02-07-2019, 9:17 PM
therealnickb's Avatar
therealnickb therealnickb is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Probably not in any line.
Posts: 5,104
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Just thought I would mention it here. Once you do get your Ca permit, the Arizona permit is supposed to be pretty easy. Below is a link to AZ DPS and on the lefthand side of the webpage is a spot for you to request an application. Their's is a lot simpler than ours. You'll need...

1) Complete their two page application
2) Find a Live Scan place or similar to complete two finger print cards. This will cost you $20-$30 depending on where you go
3) A $60 application fee (Money Order, etc. No personal checks or credit cards)
4) A copy of your CA permit
5) There's a 6-8 week processing time

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!



https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp
AZ is about as slam dunk as it gets with almost any proof of training. No need to hassle with CA before you get AZ.
__________________
There is nothing so tragic as the loss of a child. Parents and teachers have the right to protect them. They should also have the ability. 911 isn’t enough.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 02-08-2019, 4:17 PM
SDCarpenter SDCarpenter is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Carlsbad
Posts: 19
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I finally called and got my appointment for as soon as.... November haha.
Getting the clock started.
The lady I spoke to was extremely kind and helpful and it felt like she honestly was rooting for me.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:48 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,489
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
AZ is about as slam dunk as it gets with almost any proof of training. No need to hassle with CA before you get AZ.
My point was that if you're going through the CA process anyway, you'll have everything you need once you're finished. If you just want to go for an AZ permit, you can always take whatever type of class you think will meet their requirement.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 PM
therealnickb's Avatar
therealnickb therealnickb is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Probably not in any line.
Posts: 5,104
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
My point was that if you're going through the CA process anyway, you'll have everything you need once you're finished. If you just want to go for an AZ permit, you can always take whatever type of class you think will meet their requirement.
I understood what you were saying, but there’s no reason to wait until you have a SD permit in hand.

I think I just sent my hunters safety card with the AZ app. The training for SD or any NRA training will also suffice for AZ IIRC.
__________________
There is nothing so tragic as the loss of a child. Parents and teachers have the right to protect them. They should also have the ability. 911 isn’t enough.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 02-11-2019, 7:32 AM
jnojr's Avatar
jnojr jnojr is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,056
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEnmity View Post
I just made my appointment for my interview! its in OCTOBER lol. I guess that gives me a lot of time to put my application together. I want to join SDCGO but I'm a broke college student and currently cant afford to support it.
Then how are you going to afford the fees for the CCW, a gun, ammo, training, holster, etc?
__________________


San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 02-11-2019, 7:34 AM
jnojr's Avatar
jnojr jnojr is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,056
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Just thought I would mention it here. Once you do get your Ca permit, the Arizona permit is supposed to be pretty easy. Below is a link to AZ DPS and on the lefthand side of the webpage is a spot for you to request an application. Their's is a lot simpler than ours. You'll need...

1) Complete their two page application
2) Find a Live Scan place or similar to complete two finger print cards. This will cost you $20-$30 depending on where you go
3) A $60 application fee (Money Order, etc. No personal checks or credit cards)
4) A copy of your CA permit
5) There's a 6-8 week processing time

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!
FWIW, I received my resident AZ CCW (using my now-worthless CA CCW for the shooting portion) in about a week.
__________________


San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 02-15-2019, 5:22 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 8,716
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just saw this on the Kern Co SO website (http://www.kernsheriff.com/licensing.aspx). I can't wait to see what the 2018 stats will show. Hopefully, San Diego Co SO will make similar continual progress.



__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:25 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.