Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-25-2013, 8:30 AM

Default sdfgas

dsf

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

Sign and fight - Defend our right to bear arms

Last edited by Johnnyfres; 04-13-2013 at 1:08 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

In CA, assuming you can legally own firearms. it will come down to the issuing agency's discretion.

Get a copy of your "rap sheet" from DOJ. Go down and talk with the officer who does the CCW applications. Show him your criminal history and ask him if he/the dept., would issue you a permit.
That is what I did. Worked out well for me. But then again I am in Shasta Co. and they are one of the "better" counties for CCW.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 03-25-2013, 8:44 AM

It’s my understanding that having a criminal conviction expunged will only remove the conviction from public eyes, not your criminal record with regards to the department of justice, it will still show up on a government background check.

Need a Realtor, I have 30 years experience, PM me.
Old 03-25-2013, 8:54 AM

In the eyes of the law you no.longer have a felony. So any background check that goes to DOJ, you do not have to disclose you had a felony.conviction otherwise your application will automatically get denied.
Bigbamboo is.correct, it.does.come down to the issuing agency , so if you applying for a ccw I'd disclose it and they will decide if they feel enough time has elapsed since the crime occured. Every. Agency has their own protocol as to how to handle this type of .situation. good luck.

Also some agencies.have that 10 year wait after the crime occured so you maybe in luck. The purpose.of the wait is to, my understanding, they want to make sure you.don't.have any further occurrences and to make sure you have rehabilitated since it happened.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CityHunt3r; 03-25-2013 at 9:00 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

<Sigh> The background check that the Police, Sheriff, FBI, (and YOURSELF) etc., runs on a person applying for a permit WILL show ALL your past criminal arrests, convictions, dismissals and 17(b) and 1203.4 (your CA reduction to misdemeanor and "expunged" charges).

CA does NOT have a true expungment like other states that fully remove the charge, sentence, and all history of the expunged conviction.

And that really sucks...I (or any convicted felon who have "expunged" their record) can never be a firefighter, EMT, nurse, etc., etc. because when you apply for a state lic., and they do their background check it all still shows up.
But...I have a CCW !?!?!?

If you lie and put down no, I am sure they will deny your application. Again...what worked for ME was I went to the Sheriff's office and paid $20.00 or whatever the fee was and did my own live scan. I received the DOJ printout about 2-3 weeks later. It shows ALL my past criminal history.
I then scheduled a appointment with the deputy who does the CCW for my county. I showed him my "rap sheet". He asked a bunch of questions. Said go take your CCW classes and we will issue you a permit.

I am on my 2nd renewal now. So again...I would suggest doing what I did so you do not waste money only to be turned down.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out if you apply.

Take care

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

The difference between the OP and a lot of the rest of us is that we didn't get caught!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM

jhgbkl

Last edited by Johnnyfres; 04-13-2013 at 1:05 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Banned

It all depends on the final disposition of the expungement.

Mine reads..."dismissed" and the date...it wasn't for assault.

I pled no contest to a posession charge...it wasn't a firearm or drugs.

I take it that my charges were officially DISMISSED as recorded in the record.

I have had no issues buying firearms of renewing my permits.

Last edited by glockman19; 03-25-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM

fghd

Last edited by Johnnyfres; 04-13-2013 at 1:05 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
CA does NOT have a true expungment like other states that fully remove the charge, sentence, and all history of the expunged conviction.

And that really sucks...I (or any convicted felon who have "expunged" their record) can never be a firefighter, EMT, nurse, etc., etc. because when you apply for a state lic., and they do their background check it all still shows up.
But...I have a CCW !?!?!?
Actually you CAN be a firefighter, EMT, etc.... You cannot work with the lottery. Now, can you be a cop? That is the real proof. I did see one PD application that asked on the app if you had a 17PC dismissal was your conviction date before....I forget the date, something like 1994. So if the conviction was in 1990 does that mean your are eligible? Why else would they be asking?

Remember a lot of these places come down to your character and not just your rap sheet. It's not cold statistics only here.
Old 03-25-2013, 1:24 PM

I believe in a shall issue state like Florida or Nevada this would be possible. However in a may issue state like California it is unlikely even the most conservative shall issue county would issue a CCW unless you had been in a rural county and were well known/trusted by the sheriffs department. Because it does not bar you from owning a firearm it never hurts to try though.
Old 03-25-2013, 1:33 PM

What would the point of an expungement if you are then expected to disclose it on an application of any kind?
Old 03-25-2013, 1:35 PM

It's up to the issuing agency (your sheriff). You can be denied a ccw in Ca for anything. I had my stuff reduced and expunged and I was denied because of my arrest history (20 years ago). My good cause was accepted and my good moral character was not the reason because I disclosed everything. Everything will show up on your background check. It will show the dates of when you were arrested, when you pled guilty, and when it was reduced/expunged. But you will never know unless you apply.
Old 03-25-2013, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Default Apply

You are in Fresno county, you should apply, bring whatever info you have with you regarding the case.

The sheriff has the ultimate decision, but the reality is "few people" are "angels".

You need to convince the sheriff that the "assault charge" was a "wakeup call" and a "learning experience" that you have learned from.

You are in a county where the sheriff "IS" issuing, but she may not issue a permit if you the interviewer comes away with the impression that you are a "hothead", that you let your "pride and ego" get the better part of you.

Nicki
Old 03-25-2013, 1:45 PM

If I was you, get a Livescan done on yourself and disclose everything that is on there. That is the best way imo.
Old 03-25-2013, 1:46 PM

[Qcgxvbx

Last edited by Johnnyfres; 04-13-2013 at 1:06 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 1:47 PM

ncbcv

Last edited by Johnnyfres; 04-13-2013 at 1:06 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 3:05 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Since issuing agencies have wide latitude for what they consider "good moral character," with no statewide standard, it is complete conjecture whether you can get a CCW or not with that past.